Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

We don't have to look into the future to see what happens when control measures are largely abandoned. We just have to look at South America where infections and deaths skyrocketed when they decided that enough was enough and gave up trying. Peru is a good example to look at.

Public health officials have been saying for well over a month that they expected infection rates would rise when the autumn arrived, kids went back to school, and people started moving around an interacting more.

However, the public health officials where I am have been saying that they think we can keep it under control, but it will be a constant battle over the winter, testing, tracking, tracing, and dialling control measures up and down as required.

We were supposed to have been spending the summer getting ready for this. Now we'll find out if our preparations were adequate.

on Channel 4 news 1900 few months back everyone’s eating dinner, there was newspiece on many cases in Peru and how the authorities dealing with it. One case was the local policia and /or paramilitary cops cordoned off an area in less wealthy poor suburb as death of COVID victim. The young lads having the unpleasant task of removing the remains to the crem , of which one had come to the capital to seek his fortune in the hospitality trade from a village. As it happened epidemic started and he had no job let alone career so for 4/500 quid a month he is either funeral director or coroners assistant. Camera crew followed as him and his colleague (masked gowned ppe) talked to relative checked her smart phone, while armed militia held guard. Then they walked upstairs to shanty flats to remove victim ...thankfully channel 4 blurred it out but could see it was a young person, wrapped in duvet and into bag.

Very sad indeed

If I also recall the News mentioned that in Lima corpses were piling up on streets not enough caskets, body bags etc

cheers

GDog

Old-Salt
In order to get an alert via the App that you were standing what the algorithm thinks is an unsafe distance and time (<2m or <4m ish for more than 15 minutes) from Mr Supersreader, he has to feel rough, report symptoms, get a Positive test result back and consent to the good news being given to all the wretches he was in proximity to -2 to + 7 days from first showing symptoms.

If you can't actually a test done short of driving from Exeter to Newcastle, how does that work?

It doesn't

Most of my "close contacts" got SMS notifications telling them to self isolate until date X, where X was either already in the past or was 1-2 days in the future.

If any of them had been infected it's already far too late. This is what happens when you have ~10% void tests and 3-5 day turnaround times.

crow_bag

War Hero
It doesn't

Most of my "close contacts" got SMS notifications telling them to self isolate until date X, where X was either already in the past or was 1-2 days in the future.

If any of them had been infected it's already far too late. This is what happens when you have ~10% void tests and 3-5 day turnaround times.
Where are these 3-5 days turn around times?

My wife and I have both been tested twice (negative both times) and each time we got the results at around 0500 the next day, so not even a 24 hour turn around.

The same is true for every one else I know who has been tested, test results have been returned within 24 hours.

Now, we don't live in a hotspot area, so it is possible that there are less people getting tests, so the lab/s for our area aren't as busy as else where.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Oh your just confusing me now.
Your agreeing that the lockdowns are urinating into a gale as a method of prevention.
Don't think herd immunity works.
Weren't you 'Go vaccine' before as well or am I confusing you with someone else?
And if so, Jesus why do you bother getting up each day?
:)
Oh your just confusing me now.
Your agreeing that the lockdowns are urinating into a gale as a method of prevention.
Don't think herd immunity works.
Weren't you 'Go vaccine' before as well or am I confusing you with someone else?
And if so, Jesus why do you bother getting up each day?
:)

That’s pretty much my thoughts - evidence not there to rely on heard immunity; cannot destroy the economy because who wants to be alive, but live in a world resembling Mad Max; vaccinations not sure about!

Basically I think we’re going to have to weather this thing as best we can, whilst taking sensible damage limiting precautions such as isolating when sick, social distancing etc, and deal with, and accept, the fallout however unpleasant it may be.

who wants to be alive, but live in a world resembling Mad Max;

That would be interesting - Not sure how the woke and libtard Brigades would fare though.

One that is really pertinent to you ( Allegedly )

Exclusive: Prof John Ashton calls for ‘far less density’ in student populations to avoid major increase in cases

One of the UK’s leading public health experts has warned that universities should be two-thirds empty in order to prevent massive spikes in coronavirus infections across campuses, as freshers describe the difficulties of starting student life under tight restrictions.

Think he is about 2 weeks ( at least ) late.

Uni's started back 2 weeks ago and cases heading skywards again.

Think he is about 2 weeks ( at least ) late.

Uni's started back 2 weeks ago and cases heading skywards again.

Some universities are still to start but yes there are cases appearing. Although this was always going to be the case. The young people will want to party and I don’t blame them to be honest. I feel sorry for many of them having a right of passage like their first freshers week end at 10pm each night.

Also feel like they may have been stitched up a bit, in that the government told them to go (to avoid having to bail out the universities) and now there are talks of not allowing them to go home at Christmas to see family.

Plus I'm still not sure how face-to-face sessions are meant to carry on when the staff member of a particular module is off isolating (a bit like me for the next 8 days), as it can't be handed over to someone else because they won't know what's going on. It's all a bit of a mess.

Last edited:
Whilst this does not affect your argument, I am coming across a number of young people ( up to 22yrs old) who are bricking themselves because they have Sickle Cell Trait ( Heterozygous). They are on Ze vulnerable list they tell me.

Probably dodge malaria then, so not all bad.

I just saw this shared on facebook but have never heard of the source before: Scamademics? Right-Wing Lobbying Groups Reviving ‘Herd Immunity’ in the UK – Byline Times

Whats the name of the website to check if a news source is biased or not? Ignoring the headline, some of the comments in the article do seem to fit with reports in peer reviewed literature I've posted and the people interviewed seem to know what they are talking about.

“Nobody in the UK wants another national lockdown, but at the same time COVID, public health, wellbeing and economic recovery are inextricably linked,” said Dr Stephen Griffin. “This must be enabled by efficient, rapid testing and tracing, and by a clear public health guided message on appropriate, targeted measures to interrupt transmission".

And again seem to fit in with what I think is sensible - no lockdown, but just the measures to enable us to weather this thing properly.

Last edited:
And I don't blame them or would have been any different myself.

I bumped into an architect in town this morning; he's from the running club (so middle class/educated type) and he's got a couple of young kids (around 5 to 7 years old).

I asked him if he'd get them vaccinated if one comes out in the near future; just out of interest.

He said he wouldn't.

I reckon this will be a mainstream view; not just from the anti-vax brigade or tin-foil-hatters.

I bumped into an architect in town this morning; he's from the running club (so middle class/educated type) and he's got a couple of young kids (around 5 to 7 years old).

I asked him if he'd get them vaccinated if one comes out in the near future; just out of interest.

He said he wouldn't.

I reckon this will be a mainstream view; not just from the anti-vax brigade or tin-foil-hatters.
I see the R rate ( that you claim is irrelevant) is up to 1.2 to 1.5 across England. Below 1 virus is diminishing above 1 growing exponentially.

@Whey_Aye_Banzai

Did he come up with a reason?

No, and I didn't think to ask him, but he's a bright bloke, so assume it's the unknown risks of a brand new vaccine that hasn't been used for decades.

Wor Lass is ultra-mainstream on the topic of the coronavirus and she says she wouldn't either. So much so that she wore a facemask at an anti-facemask/lockdown protest to show her disapproval.

But why would you when you know the risks of the coronavirus to your children are no higher (and possibly lower) than the flu (I can provide evidence for this), yet no-one will know if the vaccine is safer, or more dangerous to your children for years; if ever?

Looks like the conversation is starting to turn, which is good:

If you listen to Prof Giesecke's early interview with UnHerd he accurately predicts the difficulty involved in coming out of a lockdown (he's anti-lockdown).

uh no, because COVID 19 is not, and will not be a one off.

your policy will leave everyone dead by the time COVID 30 has burnt through what’s left.

Latest Threads