Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

I downloaded the app this morning and it's now happily burrowed in my phone, sucking the battery dry like some escaped baddy from The Matrix.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
But are they repeatedly catching the same strains of cold and flu, or do they catch different strains?

And are all these "many millions of people" in good health, i.e no other conditions which would make them more susceptible to infection, or less likely to fight off infection?

Herd immunity isn't a fantasy, it's an actual thing, but what we do t know is how long any acquired immunity to Corona virus lasts.

It could be 6 months, it could be a few weeks, we just don't know.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Flu vaccines has different strains in each year depending on prevalence.

Interesting; so we kept children off school for a disease that's almost no danger to them and that has much lower rates of transmission than for adults.

I'd be surprised if they ended up getting vaccinated at all, tbh. I can't see many parents wanting to inoculate their children with a new vaccine when the risks of the coronavirus are so low for them. I'd have to think hard/research lots about it (even though my kids had all their inoculations).

And then the Irish are saying this:

View attachment 506824

Yet Dr Bopal reckons influenza has been a bigger of killer of children this year (he looked at 8 European countries and the USA).

It's weird.
We kept kids of school to limit the spread of the disease, thus lightening the workload of the NHS, whilst the scientific community got an understanding of how Covid-19 worked.

You don't just vaccinate your kids to protect them..you vaccinate to protect the rest of society including those who can't be vaccinated and are then susceptible to that particular infectious disease the vaccine targets.

Madrid continues to see a rise in cases, deaths, hospital admissions and, worringly, ICU admissions.
They've had a total of 206,418 cases with 9,161 deaths and the number of cases in the last two weeks have been 50,304 so a quarter of the year's total in just these last two weeks, The number per 100,000 affected has risen to 755 and the most affected regions are the ones bordering the Madrid community.

As from Monday, the Army will be assisting the police in Madrid. Despite some foreign papers, UK included, screaming about troops on the street, forcing the wearing of masks at gunpoint and so, it's all rubbish.
The Army will be monitoring the track and trace system which hundreds have been trained on. They will also be carrying out disinfecting of areas and assisting the police at vehicle control. They will not be enforcing the social distancing rules nor the wearing of masks etc. Last time they were used was during complete lockdown during the state of alarm but they simply moved traffic into the police check points who did the checking on whether the journey was essential.

In Alicante Province, the number of patients in the ICU has tripled in less than a month and are now at 25% capacity. A spokesman said that it must be borne in mind that ICU beds are also used for other patients and they are not all Covid cases but include accidents, heart attacks, strokes or recovering from intensive operations. They are worried those without Covid may have to be moved elsewhere to avoid contagion.

Of the 471 ICU beds in the Valencia Region, almost 300 are occupied but only 83 are Covid patients but the rise is causing some angst.

They may move the non Covid patients to private hospitals ICUs.

TamH70

MIA
I got the WeeFreeistan version of the app. I've got Android 9 so installation was painless.

Mind you, I'm not daft enough to own a Samsung S-phone - those are shite. I've got a Nokia 6, which is basically a Lumia running Android instead of Windows 10 Mobile, and it's brilliant.

Aye same here, says high risk in my post code, I think that's because the Northeast was already under tighter measures prior to the PMs announcement on Tuesday.

Same in this postcode in the NW. High risk and I have a feeling not many will jump on the track and trace bus sadly.

crow_bag

Old-Salt
So unless you're one of those mongs who gets a new phone every couple of years, when the latest model comes out to keep up with the Chav-Jones, but instead has a phone that just works and you're happy with it, you're stuffed. And they've had how long to develop this app? Tossers.

My version is 5.0.2 - how do I update to 6 (or higher)? Anyone have a clue please?
It depends on you model of phone and manufacturer.

Some older models won't be able to upgrade past a certain version due to hardware and software incompatibility.

Manufacturers also release updates at different times. Google phones got Android 11 on release day, Samsung etc cod be days, weeks or months later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
Wonderful time to have a business. Cheap loans, government pays the wages, don't have to hand over the VAT. If you're a bit careless with the declarations, well that's OK, nobody's going to look too hard. How can any business fail? These are golden times indeed.

Wonderful time to have a business. Cheap loans, government pays the wages, don't have to hand over the VAT. If you're a bit careless with the declarations, well that's OK, nobody's going to look too hard. How can any business fail? These are golden times indeed.

After evil Santa Richis money fountain, what can Sir Kneelsalot offer at the next election?

that’s the sound of millions of grateful Tory voters being bought.

Blogg

LE
In order to get an alert via the App that you were standing what the algorithm thinks is an unsafe distance and time (<2m or <4m ish for more than 15 minutes) from Mr Supersreader, he has to feel rough, report symptoms, get a Positive test result back and consent to the good news being given to all the wretches he was in proximity to -2 to + 7 days from first showing symptoms.

If you can't actually a test done short of driving from Exeter to Newcastle, how does that work?

What phone (and Network) do you use?
It was an Alcatel Onetouch Idol 2 (or maybe 3) on O2.

It's now a Sony Xperia L4 on O2, with an OS that will accept the T&T app. It's just in the middle of updating itself as I type.

The contract I'm on has improved as well. It was £12/month for 4Gb of data (which I never get close to using), it's now £10/month for 5Gb of data. Phone calls and texts free for both. So that'll save me £36 over the duration of the contract and help towards the cost of the phone.

It was an Alcatel Onetouch Idol 2 (or maybe 3) on O2.

It's now a Sony Xperia L4 on O2, with an OS that will accept the T&T app. It's just in the middle of updating itself as I type.

The contract I'm on has improved as well. It was £12/month for 4Gb of data (which I never get close to using), it's now £10/month for 5Gb of data. Phone calls and texts free for both. So that'll save me £36 over the duration of the contract and help towards the cost of the phone.
If it is updating (presumably the Android version) then you will be good to go.

If it is updating (presumably the Android version) then you will be good to go.
Nope. The Alcatel upgraded itself but was still on version 5, so no good. Plus it's getting a bit tatty now TBH.

The Sony is on version 9, all I've got to do now is get my head around how it does things, cos it's a bit different to the old phone.

We kept kids of school to limit the spread of the disease, thus lightening the workload of the NHS, whilst the scientific community got an understanding of how Covid-19 worked.

You don't just vaccinate your kids to protect them..you vaccinate to protect the rest of society including those who can't be vaccinated and are then susceptible to that particular infectious disease the vaccine targets.

Oooh, oooh theres a term for that sort of thing isn't there?
Now what is it??

Can't be arsed climbing the paywall. Any chance of a summary on the things it could be more of (and the things it could be less of, if there are any mentioned.)

Covid-19 may have become more contagious as it has mutated, the largest genetic study carried out in the US into the virus has suggested, as scientists warn it could be adapting to interventions such as mask-wearing and social distancing.
One variant of the novel coronavirus is now one of the most dominant in America, accounting for 99.9 per cent of cases in one area studied.
The paper concluded that a mutation that changes the structure of the “spike protein” on the surface of the virus may be driving the outsized spread of that particular strain.
Researchers have been sequencing the genomes of the coronavirus at Houston Methodist, one of the largest hospitals in Texas, since early March, when the virus first appeared in the city. To date, they have documented 5,085 sequences.
In the first wave of the outbreak in Houston around March, some 71 per cent of the viruses were characterised by the mutation, which originated in China and is known as D614G.
By the second wave, which began in May and is ongoing, the D614G mutation leaped to 99.9 per cent prevalence.
A tiny tweak in the spike protein of the dominant variant switches an amino acid from aspartic acid to glycine. The new mutation appears to be outdistancing all of its competitors. The graphic below explains more.

The researchers, who include some from the University of Chicago and the University of Texas at Austin, found that people infected with this strain had higher "loads" of virus in their upper respiratory tracts, which allows a virus to spread more effectively.
One of the authors offered that D614G has been increasingly dominant in Houston and other areas because it is better adapted to spreading among humans.
Their paper, published on Wednesday by preprint server MedRxiv, however, did not find that it was more deadly.
A similar study published in the UK had similar results, finding that D614G was increasing in frequency at “an alarming rate” and had rapidly become the dominant Covid-19 lineage in Europe and had then taken hold in the US, Canada and Australia.
By failing to control the spread in the US - which has the highest number of cases in the world - the virus has been given more opportunity to mutate in a shorter amount of time.

David Morens, a virologist at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), told the Washington Post the findings point to the possibility that the virus has become more transmissible and that this “may have implications for our ability to control it”.
Mr Morens cautioned that it was only one study that had not yet been peer-reviewed and “you don’t want to over-interpret what this means”. But the virus, he said, could potentially be responding - through mutations - to such interventions as hand-washing and social distancing.
“Wearing masks, washing our hands, all those things are barriers to transmissibility, or contagion, but as the virus becomes more contagious it statistically is better at getting around those barriers,” said Mr Morens, senior adviser to Dr Anthony Fauci, the director of NIAID.

As a rule, the more genetic diversity a virus has the more prepared it is to evolve away from future treatments and vaccines.
Other virologists downplayed the importance of the study, saying much is still unknown about the various mutations of the virus and how virulent they are.
Studying mutations in detail, however, could be important for controlling the pandemic. It might help to pre-empt the most worrying of mutations - those that could help the virus to evade immune systems, vaccines or antibody therapies.

Latest Threads