Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

By then, the children may have acquired OMFG herd immunity and may not need the vaccine at all?
Based on current trends it's doubtful that children will be acquiring herd immunity on their own. The rate of infection for children is drastically lower than for adults.

The rate of infection among children is dramatically lower (60.4 per 100,000) than adults (298.8 per 100,000). Among children rates were highest (109.6 per 100,000) for 15 to 19 years olds.

JCC

War Hero

crow_bag

Old-Salt
yiu seem transfixed by the fantasy of herd immunity.

tell us, do we have this fabled herd immunity to colds and flu after millions of years?
Yes, albeit for a limited time.

Otherwise our lives would be a constant cycle of getting sick getting better and then almost instantly getting sick again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Based on current trends it's doubtful that children will be acquiring herd immunity on their own. The rate of infection for children is drastically lower than for adults.

Interesting; so we kept children off school for a disease that's almost no danger to them and that has much lower rates of transmission than for adults.

I'd be surprised if they ended up getting vaccinated at all, tbh. I can't see many parents wanting to inoculate their children with a new vaccine when the risks of the coronavirus are so low for them. I'd have to think hard/research lots about it (even though my kids had all their inoculations).

And then the Irish are saying this:

1b.jpg

Yet Dr Bopal reckons influenza has been a bigger of killer of children this year (he looked at 8 European countries and the USA).

It's weird.

Yes, albeit for a limited time.

Otherwise our lives would be a constant cycle of getting sick getting better and then almost instantly getting sick again.

welcome to the reality for many millions of people living in a Britain.
what the herd immunity fantasists rather miss, is that Britain has a much higher endemic issue with chest and respiratory complaints than the rest of Europe thanks to our rather wet, rather cold climate.

yiu seem transfixed by the fantasy of herd immunity.

tell us, do we have this fabled herd immunity to colds and flu after millions of years?

Fantasy? It might be some countries only viable option. Prof Bhopal runs through the different possible scenarios and concludes that herd immunity is the least worst of all the viable options for India. But not a 'let it rip' herd immunity, he reckons that's 'screamers' who say that because they want to close down the conversation on it; but a controlled spread.

I've listened to about half of this interview and it's very interesting and much applies to any other country.

Raj Bhopal, Emeritus Professor of Public Health, The University of Edinburgh Medical School:

what the herd immunity fantasists rather miss, is that Britain has a much higher endemic issue with chest and respiratory complaints than the rest of Europe thanks to our rather wet, rather cold climate.

Yes, it never rains or gets chilly in Germany, Sweden, Norway, etc.

The over 65s are a bunch of fat-barstewards also; three-quarters of them are overweight or obese. If they'd exercise more, lose some weight, they'd have better immune systems. This is pretty much an accepted fact; I'm sure.

But it's always someone else's fault, even the weather's.

crow_bag

Old-Salt
But are they repeatedly catching the same strains of cold and flu, or do they catch different strains?

And are all these "many millions of people" in good health, i.e no other conditions which would make them more susceptible to infection, or less likely to fight off infection?

Herd immunity isn't a fantasy, it's an actual thing, but what we do t know is how long any acquired immunity to Corona virus lasts.

It could be 6 months, it could be a few weeks, we just don't know.

It could be 6 months, it could be a few weeks, we just don't know.

Given the millions of people who have had covid19, only a handful of people have been observed to have been reinfected.

It's like the vaccine; if you want to know if it's safe in two years time, you have to wait two years.

Some CALCULATED risks are going to have to be taken; the coronavirus isn't going to hang around while everyone gets their 'i's dotted and 't's crossed.

crow_bag

Old-Salt
Given the millions of people who have had covid19, only a handful of people have been observed to have been reinfected.

It's like the vaccine; if you want to know if it's safe in two years time, you have to wait two years.

Some CALCULATED risks are going to have to be taken; the coronavirus isn't going to hang around while everyone gets their 'i's dotted and 't's crossed.
It would also be interesting to see whether those who have been reinfected contracted the same strains of the virus or a different one.

Latest Threads