Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

No, a vaccine has nothing to do with it. Only those in 'at risk groups' get the flu vaccine, and everybody else just gets the flu and feels unwell for a week-or-so.

And some of these people, including children (who've never had the flu vaccine) can experience long term problems from the flu infection.

There's plenty on the web about the long term effects from viral infections. Luckily enough it's pretty rare.
Anybody can get a flu jab, it's only free for those over a certain age though. You can't get any jab for Covid though, which was my point in the main.

No, a vaccine has nothing to do with it. Only those in 'at risk groups' get the flu vaccine, and everybody else just gets the flu and feels unwell for a week-or-so.

And some of these people, including children (who've never had the flu vaccine) can experience long term problems from the flu infection.

There's plenty on the web about the long term effects from viral infections. Luckily enough it's pretty rare.

You can walk into Boots today and Get a flu jab.

Note that I am not disagreeing with you, but please explain the statement above. Why is a slow burn acceptable but the spring not?
Last spring saw places such as Montreal close to collapse in terms of health care. Hospital and nursing home staff were close to collapse due to overload and there was talk of mass staff resignations if things got any worse. An armed forces medical team was brought in to take some of the load off. We don't want a repeat of that. We can't afford a repeat of that.

A "slow burn" is a steady run of cases that may be higher than we had in August but still stay well below the capacity of the public health system to track and trace, and of the health care system to treat. We can deal with that.

We can accept that August was the low point in terms of infections and deaths, and anticipate that things will get worse between now and next May when the warm weather returns. The virus is believed to spread more readily in cold weather, when the air is cooler and drier, people spend more time indoors in closer proximity to each other, the windows are closed and we get less outside ventilation, and the pubs and restaurants will have to close their patios and serve people indoors.

All of this means that the margin for error between now and the return of warm weather is much less than it was during the past summer. We don't want another lockdown and so we don't need idiots partying like there's no pandemic and spoiling things for everyone else.

If we can make it through the winter we will have the return of warm weather to help deal with the situation again. By summer we hope to see the start widespread roll out of vaccination and then be able to put this all behind us and deal with other issues.

Not sure why everyone one seems to be looking at Sweden, there's very few Swedish posters on here. The problem for the majority on here is the UK, where presently the virus is spiralling out of control, if there was as much passion shown about fighting the virus on here, as to what there is re talk of Sweden, we would be heading in a better direction. All Covid19 info from all posters across the globe is welcoming of course, but for the vast majority on here, our problem is in the UK not Sweden.

JCC

War Hero
But herd immunity!

Need to dig a bit deeper here - is it all Stockholm or some areas ? Ireland had some blips but they seemed to be centred around Meat Packing plants rather than the general population.

Did they ever resolve the reason for the difference between Malmo and Stockholm or has that been explained?

No, you're changing the goal posts. This came about because Last Walt (or was it Terminal?) said there was no evidence of long term immunity.

I called bullshit because there is evidence of long term immunity.

Don't confuse evidence with proof; proof is a body of evidence strong enough to constitute proof.

Do try to keep up.

If you have empirical evidence of this, then you should write a reply to the authors of the paper I linked. You should also contact the editors to point out what they have missed.

BTW - no, I'm saying this because it was written in the Nature Reviews article I linked to, which was published 12 days ago.

Here's another: Herd Immunity: Understanding COVID-19
" The ability to establish herd immunity against SARS-CoV-2 hinges on the assumption that infection with the virus generates sufficient, protective immunity. At present, the extent to which humans are able to generate sterilizing immunity to SARS-CoV-2 is unclear."

Do try to keep up indeed.

Last edited:

Blogg

LE
False Positives from 10:14

Well well. That is inconvenient.

Has Raab:

1) had enough of looking like an idiot holding the Cabinet line and is preparing future ground.

2) not understood that he just confirmed that 93% of all PCR tests result in false positives

JCC

War Hero
Well well. That is inconvenient.

Has Raab:

1) had enough of looking like an idiot holding the Cabinet line and is preparing future ground.

2) not understood that he just confirmed that 93% of all PCR tests result in false positives

I think they're sitting on a volcano - if Stamer starts to push BJ on this at Question Time I want to watch.

That's probably because there's a vaccine for flu, but not for chinese virus, which as we all know now causes excess death on top of flu. Not really the type of thing to leave to it's own devices. I look forward to more severe restrictions to get this virus under some sort of control.

There is no universal vaccine for flu, only for a few mutations that get updated and distributed annually on the basis of an (at best) informed guess.

There is no universal vaccine for flu, only for a few mutations that get updated and distributed annually on the basis of an (at best) informed guess.
Seasonal flu in different strains, of course there's a vaccine or is going to the GPs or clinic for a flu jab just some made up shite ?

No universal vaccine, only individual strains that are guessed at before the season kicks off. If it was universal, a one off would do the job.

Blogg

LE
I think they're sitting on a volcano - if Stamer starts to push BJ on this at Question Time I want to watch.

When Julia Hartley Brewer pushed Matt Hancock on this last week, you could hear the fear and dread in his voice.

Raab has just confirmed it really isn't worth the effort of doing PCR swab tests at airports because they throw up a 93% False Positive Rate.

Yet Hancock and "The Science Blob" still claim that self same tests are absolutely fine for purposes of Govt. Covid planning and policy and what the latest round of idiocy is based upon.

Latest Threads