Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

There has been 41,788 deaths as of today, what number would you had you in mind?,
and what happens if you exceed the number you have in mind,
if you exceed the number, what lock down would you bring in
I don’t have a specific number in mind. It’s more the principle that there is either an acceptable number of deaths, or only 0 is the acceptable number. If there is an acceptable number then you come up with the principles and restrictions to avoid it being breached. It’s important because people will die, have their lives shortened and lose homes and jobs as a result of restrictions.

That if vaccine is immediately forthcoming, if it is accepted that this country does not impose restrictions for flu despite tens of thousands of deaths, there will be a number which we would not impose restrictions for COVID. This is likely to also be in the tens of thousands.
When or if vaccination is sorted then release restrictions, obviously there's a vaccination for flu but not Covid, as you rightly say will still be thousands of deaths, but to let a new virus run amok without vaccination or treatment is absolutely mental IMHO, loads on here fully endorse it though. Hope that makes it a bit clearer to you as to how I see it from my perspective.

No, but what's that got to do with your original question?

And it's like you think that only those who decide on UK policy can be right.

It would be very naive of you to believe this, particularly since those very people now have an incentive to carry on with bad policy.
No it isn't as I am a UK citizen, again how do you know he's correct, if you think he's that good go live where he is responsible for policy.

When or if vaccination is sorted then release restrictions, obviously there's a vaccination for flu but not Covid, as you rightly say will still be thousands of deaths, but to let a new virus run amok without vaccination or treatment is absolutely mental IMHO, loads on here fully endorse it though. Hope that makes it a bit clearer to you as to how I see it from my perspective.

Completely see your point. I hope you see mine Let’s hope for a vaccine soonest or the current cure may well prove worse than the disease in the long run.

Jammy66

War Hero
There has been 41,788 deaths as of today, what number would you had you in mind?,
and what happens if you exceed the number you have in mind,
if you exceed the number, what lock down would you bring in

Just to add, approx 42K deaths WITH all the lockdowns and other measures that have been put in place to help limit the number of deaths.

Proposing to 'carry on as normal' would of course have resulted in a much much larger number than that. Hence the reason to keep a lid on it and limit as much as we can, the deaths that will come with this 2nd wave.

No it isn't as I am a UK citizen, again how do you know he's correct, if you think he's that good go live where he is responsible for policy.

Was your pet-lip stuck out when you typed that?

It made me smile, anyway.

I'm off up the gym now; they're hives of germs and disease; full of young adults, not social distancing and spotting each other too.

But it's a leg day and you can't miss a leg day.

Was your pet-lip stuck out when you typed that?

It made me smile, anyway.

I'm off up the gym now; they're hives of germs and disease; full of young adults, not social distancing and spotting each other too.

But it's a leg day and you can't miss a leg day.
I don't do toys out the pram mate, just succinct and to the point. Enjoy your workout.

anglo

LE
I don’t have a specific number in mind. It’s more the principle that there is either an acceptable number of deaths, or only 0 is the acceptable number. If there is an acceptable number then you come up with the principles and restrictions to avoid it being breached. It’s important because people will die, have their lives shortened and lose homes and jobs as a result of restrictions.
This coronavirus seems to be worse than the last two pandemics, as far as the numbers
so far, whether the actual deaths due coronavirus are correct is debatable
Notice, no lock downs on those pandemics, then again not as much air travel
and people travelling around,
There is a lot of variables in dealing with this virus

asia flu 1957
By the time this influenza —known colloquially at the time as “Asian flu”—had concluded the following April, an estimated 20 000 people in the UK and 80 000 citizens in the USA were dead. Worldwide, the pandemic, sparked by a new H2N2 influenza subtype, would result in more than 1 million deaths.
Hong Kong flu 1968
The subsequent 1968 influenza pandemic—or “Hong Kong flu” or “Mao flu” as some western tabloids dubbed it—would have an even more dramatic impact, killing more than 30 000 individuals in the UK and 100 000 people in the USA, with half the deaths among individuals younger than 65 years—the reverse of COVID-19 deaths in the current pandemic. Yet, while at the height of the outbreak in December, 1968, The New York Times described the pandemic as “one of the worst in the nation's history”, there were few school closures and businesses, for the most, continued to operate as normal.

This coronavirus seems to be worse than the last two pandemics, as far as the numbers

asia flu 1957
By the time this influenza —known colloquially at the time as “Asian flu”—had concluded the following April, an estimated 20 000 people in the UK and 80 000 citizens in the USA were dead. Worldwide, the pandemic, sparked by a new H2N2 influenza subtype, would result in more than 1 million deaths.
Hong Kong flu 1968
The subsequent 1968 influenza pandemic—or “Hong Kong flu” or “Mao flu” as some western tabloids dubbed it—would have an even more dramatic impact, killing more than 30 000 individuals in the UK and 100 000 people in the USA, with half the deaths among individuals younger than 65 years—the reverse of COVID-19 deaths in the current pandemic. Yet, while at the height of the outbreak in December, 1968, The New York Times described the pandemic as “one of the worst in the nation's history”, there were few school closures and businesses, for the most, continued to operate as normal.

All I'm getting from this is that newspaper headline writers don't change.

Now that the pubs are being shut at 10pm, does that mean that the public are being served short measures.

Asking for a friend...

1600787797001.png

asia flu 1957
Hong Kong flu 1968

Spot on. The previous pandemics didn’t breach the magic number seemingly. What’s the magic number for COVID?

I think it’s a question the public don’t want to ask and the government don’t want to answer publicly.

Dunno, but the football will have to adjust evening kick off times, games will still be playing when it's time to leave the pub, potential riots there.
The plot thickens. The game is afoot methinks.

JCC

War Hero
It's confirmation of something that's been warned about for a while. Face screens when worn with masks are quite effective, but a screen on its own allows too much in the way of aerosols to escape.

I thought this was the interesting part considering some of the masks/scarfs I see:

"...recently found that face masks made from non-woven fabric are more effective at blocking the spread of Covid-19 via airborne droplets than those made of cotton and polyester "

Latest Threads