Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

I see it as, if it's allowed to grow it spreads fast as fcuk, which will result in the NHS swamped and more deaths, the higher the amount of infections the worse it will be, agree everyone dies, some younger than others. I'd rather live in a safe environment as possible, so the less infections the less chance of catching it. My logic, each to their own etc.

I understand some are also worried about this causing another Winter Crisis as we've seen in previous years.

GDog

Old-Salt
Pretty sure that they do a better job than you.

The e-commerce website for which I am currently responsible for developing and maintaining payment service software has continued operating since March with almost zero downtime. It is used by thousands of people every day.

How's HMG getting on with its track and trace app?

The e-commerce website for which I am currently responsible for developing and maintaining payment service software has continued operating since March with almost zero downtime. It is used by thousands of people every day.

How's HMG getting on with its track and trace app?
Dunno, how the fcuk would I know ?

It's funny how further back in this thread we were posting pictures of mass graves in Brazil and shaking our heads at what a complete mess of things Brazil had made and now just a few months later some people are advocating that this sort of things should come to the UK as well.

Apparently there was a charity football match at some working men's club in Sunderland, think there was around 300 there. It's been blamed for a surge in Sunderland, last I heard there had been about 52 positives linked to that event.
I watched a public affairs show this evening discussing the situation in Ontario, and the public health officials being interviewed had some rather interesting observations.

One is that pubs, restaurants, schools, and work places aren't the major problems so far as rising infection rates are concerned. First, they are fairly well structured and controlled to keep people at set distances, plus in most of those people are in the same "cohorts" (the same people together each time instead of mixing randomly). The latter situation means that when there is a local outbreak it's easier to quickly track down all those affected and to isolate and test them to bring the outbreak to a halt.

When infections are occurring in restaurants it's mainly between staff members, not between staff and patrons. What is happening is that staff members are taking their breaks together or having a drink with each other after work, and doing it at close quarters in the back rooms where the distancing measures used in the main dining areas are not observed.

The main problem is large private parties, and weddings where people ignored the rules on numbers. These present the problems in that distancing is poorly enforced, if at all, and people who don't normally mix will encounter each other, spreading infection between different cohorts. This means that one person can spread it to many people he would not normally meet in different circles, who then spread it within their circles, etc.

The answer being applied is to reduce the number of people allowed to gather in one pace back down to lower levels (I think it's something like 10 indoors and 25 outdoors). This does not apply to restaurants, schools, businesses, and other places where things are very structured, as this isn't where the problem has been.

If anyone is interested I can find the video again and post it. I didn't post it yet because it was Ontario specific and I didn't know if anyone else was interested.

I wouldn't judge signatories by the institution they are at, as often academics move around. I worked as a postdoc for a guy who moved to a middle ranking uni (although to be fair it was good for the subject) from Oxford where he held full professor and had also previously advised government on legislation. Whilst another Professor at the same place is now Head of School at a Russel Group and another I used to TA for, is now full prof at Tufts.

(although to be fair, I googled the guy at Buckingham and his wiki doesn't paint him in the best of lights!).

And here was me thinking it was just racist, knuckle-dragging, Brexiteers who were expert-deniers.

It's funny how further back in this thread we were posting pictures of mass graves in Brazil and shaking our heads at what a complete mess of things Brazil had made and now just a few months later some people are advocating that this sort of things should come to the UK as well.

Who is advocating the Brazil-strategy?

I see it as, if it's allowed to grow it spreads fast as fcuk, which will result in the NHS swamped and more deaths, the higher the amount of infections the worse it will be, agree everyone dies, some younger than others. I'd rather live in a safe environment as possible, so the less infections the less chance of catching it. My logic, each to their own etc.
But when you bother to look at the ONS data it isn't spreading like that.
That is the lie yesterdays 'if, could, may' briefing was pushing.

Cases are rising daily - well they're not and even if they were....
Positivity rate is about 1%
Admissions are doubling - no Matty that was a downright lie they've barely doubled since the start of the month.
Deaths - well lets just gloss over that with the annoying average around 19 (6 people were saved yesterday compared to the day before) and around 0.004% of those tested.
False positives, nope ignore them.
Antibody tests prove no herd immunity, well they fade over time so not that reliable.
T cell immunity, nope ignore that.
Magic vaccine to save us all (lovely lovely money) and not letting the young ones go to night clubs that's the answer.

But when you bother to look at the ONS data it isn't spreading like that.
That is the lie yesterdays 'if, could, may' briefing was pushing.

Cases are rising daily - well they're not and even if they were....
Positivity rate is about 1%
Admissions are doubling - no Matty that was a downright lie they've barely doubled since the start of the month.
Deaths - well lets just gloss over that with the annoying average around 19 (6 people were saved yesterday compared to the day before) and around 0.004% of those tested.
False positives, nope ignore them.
Antibody tests prove no herd immunity, well they fade over time so not that reliable.
T cell immunity, nope ignore that.
Magic vaccine to save us all (lovely lovely money) and not letting the young ones go to night clubs that's the answer.
It is in certain parts of the northeast, Sunderland and in particular Gateshead, there's a place called Low Fell, it's absolutely rife there.

JCC

War Hero
1600757708015.png

If cases haven't doubled between September 9th and 15th, given that the "rule of six" was only introduced on the 14th, why should we believe they'll start doubling from now on? And, of course, the lion's share of the new blue cases – the actual cases – are based on Pillar 2 community testing carried out by PHE, so ~91% of them will be false positives.

View attachment 506305

If cases haven't doubled between September 9th and 15th, given that the "rule of six" was only introduced on the 14th, why should we believe they'll start doubling from now on? And, of course, the lion's share of the new blue cases – the actual cases – are based on Pillar 2 community testing carried out by PHE, so ~91% of them will be false positives.

Ah, Chris Witty shows a prediction and then says "this is not a prediction".

What was the point of it then?

Latest Threads