Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

Actually, the prof does make a good point. He says SAGE is still working with models and he's working with the actual data.

If you believe the models to be correct (ICL paper predicted 500k deaths if we did nothing) then BoJo has saved at least 450,000 lives.

Best PM ever.
Needless to say his foolish ideas never made the BBC news last night.

No instead we had more Project Panicdemic fear, NE is closed, no one can be tested, cases rising daily, France is even worse and we're going to follow them.

Backed up by many Voxpops of people who frankly didn't appear to have so much as a mild headache, whining that they couldn't get a test.

Cases again over 3K and rising daily. Well yes in total they will be but then not point out it was less than the day before or a few days before that was considerably less and clearly not exponential.

A snippet from the confused expert in charge of some aspect of testing who couldn't explain it, presumably Prof Hennigan was still in the room and could have helped? Scare people into thinking they will die the second they develop anything slightly wrong and they rush out to find out if they will, seems logical to me?

Then to France where its much worse and cases are rising by xxx and so are deaths (yes and by how many ???), poor Pierre fights for his life surrounding by medics in full positive pressure suits.
Notice how NHS staff not being tested was quickly changed to schools at the start of the week, its as though someone figured out with the NHS having all the gear (and knowledge) it'd be hard to straighten that particular curve.
Anyway a single Froggy hospital is very busy and nearly has run out of ICU beds (so it hadn't then had it) and more voxpops of shouty fFrench babbling something in their heathen tongue about how bad it is though no one coughing or looking a bit peaky.

If its any use; Covid Day Six, is the worst and the three symptoms the government identify, you pick them up towards the end of the week, my wife has had it for 7-10 Days and seems to be marginally better (we are both relatively fit for our age).

If its any use; Covid Day Six, is the worst and the three symptoms the government identify, you pick them up towards the end of the week, my wife has had it for 7-10 Days and seems to be marginally better (we are both relatively fit for our age).

Wor Lass drinks about once-a-year. Last night was that night (daughter's birthday celebrations).

She woke up feeling like death and saying she thinks she's got the corona'.

Care to contribute here? LINK

Am I right in thinking that the mechanism to catch/transmit a cold or flu is the same as Covid, meaning that if you get either of the other two, your admin/hygiene is provably not up to scratch?

Or can you catch a cold/flu in a different way?

Am I right in thinking that the mechanism to catch/transmit a cold or flu is the same as Covid, meaning that if you get either of the other two, your admin/hygiene is provably not up to scratch?

Or can you catch a cold/flu in a different way?
Good hygiene doesn't prevent you inhaling tiny aerosols that can penetrate face coverings. You can be the most hygienic person in the world, there's always an element of potluck.

Good hygiene doesn't prevent you inhaling tiny aerosols that can penetrate face coverings. You can be the most hygienic person in the world, there's always an element of potluck.
Ok, maybe I need to rephrase my question.

The current basics of hygiene, distancing, masks, gatherings etc... have, in the main, been successful - current spikes seem to have occurred where people have wilfully ignored the basics - if people stick to the regime for the time being, is it likely that colds & flu transmission will also be significantly reduced.

Ok, maybe I need to rephrase my question.

The current basics of hygiene, distancing, masks, gatherings etc... have, in the main, been successful - current spikes seem to have occurred where people have wilfully ignored the basics - if people stick to the regime for the time being, is it likely that colds & flu transmission will also be significantly reduced.
Only if the measures are in place for the whole country, over a decent span of time. As soon as distancing is relaxed viruses will continue to transmit.

doc80905

War Hero
Sending whole year groups home from school is due to a lack of strategy in using test results. If you wanted to eradicate Covid you would send everyone home. If you accept that Covid is endemic you would not. Prof Heneghan stated that government rhetoric needs to be dialled down. Heneghan does not understand current government strategy. Currently the situation is “utter chaos” as other respiratory illnesses cause massive confusion among the public when it comes to Covid.
HanCock is banging on today in various media sources about another "national lockdown". This from a government where the PM was, only 8 or 9 days ago urging people to go back to the office. Hospitals urged to clear the wards in preparation for the second wave. I do find it quite odd that the NHS, in a time of supposed crisis finds that the most appropriate course of action to take is to withdraw it's services to focus entirely on one issue...

One can only hope that this time the government and it's scientific advisors are 100% entirely correct if they do decide to "lockdown" again. They will need to be 100% correct because locking up the healthy population for months on end as they sit on 93 quid or whatever it is universal credit as they watch the country and everything they have ever worked for disappear down the toilet, well this time round that's going to be an incredibly hard sell.

The last lockdown only held together because people were being paid 2.5k a month to stay off work and get rat arrsed every day in the sunshine in their back gardens. Alcohol above all else held things together. Mass unemployment, dark cold winter nights and universal credit may not I would suggest hold things together quite so well. Interesting times, that's for sure...

HanCock is banging on today in various media sources about another "national lockdown". This from a government where the PM was, only 8 or 9 days ago urging people to go back to the office. Hospitals urged to clear the wards in preparation for the second wave. I do find it quite odd that the NHS, in a time of supposed crisis finds that the most appropriate course of action to take is to withdraw it's services to focus entirely on one issue...

One can only hope that this time the government and it's scientific advisors are 100% entirely correct if they do decide to "lockdown" again. They will need to be 100% correct because locking up the healthy population for months on end as they sit on 93 quid or whatever it is universal credit as they watch the country and everything they have ever worked for disappear down the toilet, well this time round that's going to be an incredibly hard sell.

The last lockdown only held together because people were being paid 2.5k a month to stay off work and get rat arrsed every day in the sunshine in their back gardens. Alcohol above all else held things together. Mass unemployment, dark cold winter nights and universal credit may not I would suggest hold things together quite so well. Interesting times, that's for sure...
I agree wholeheartedly. And besides, I thought that a large percentage of the population having covid, but not dying from it was a Good Thing ? Is that not Herd Immunity ?

I have pointed out in the past we got an Empire by being half pissed all the time.
So maybe there's some hope in that?

After my earlier post Major Sunray announces that her app is telling her she needs a test.
Why?
Because for the past few days she's had a headache and been tired.
Obviously she couldn't get one and not overly arsed, more concerned by the presence of DDR Border guards stopping us entering the 'hot zones' when we go shopping at the weekend.

Then I watched the following:

And it seems like headache and extreme fatigue/tiredness are now on the Wuhan flu symptoms list, but shh, everyone will want a test when they've got a hangover.
Maybe explains me dozing off at 8 in front of the TV and the niggling headache I was carrying for 3 days, still not dead though.
And she's been told to not keel over until Monday when I'm due back in, 2 weeks full pay and nowt on the sick record - get in!

Well, local measures come in from the 22nd here. Delightful.

I think there was significant levels of over optimism when they thought things were over and done with when they ended lockdown and opened travel again.

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
Looks as though Hancock and co are going for the coup de grace for the economy this time. Anyone got any ideas on how to survive this lunacy?

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Well, local measures come in from the 22nd here. Delightful.

I think there was significant levels of over optimism when they thought things were over and done with when they ended lockdown and opened travel again.
At this time of year 1600 people die each week on average from influenza and pneumonia. There is also a large rise in respiratory cases in September every year.

Daily UK deaths from Covid are running at perhaps 20. In France where it looks like it will peak in 3 weeks deaths are currently running at say 50 per day. Spain looks like it will peak in 2 weeks and has approximately 90 deaths per day. This wave is showing no signs of being anything like the order of magnitude of the March/ April epidemic. Dare I say because largely people now have immunity.

Last night's question time was okay; it seemed a little more balanced than usual.

They also had an argument I've had on here; the one about the coronavirus not being dangerous to the vast majority of people.

The counter argument to that is that there are long term consequences for a minority of the young from the virus. Barry Gardiner made this point while clutching his pearls.

The epidemiologist made the EXACT same point I did; the flu virus also has long term consequences for a minority too. She went onto ask why we don't shut society down for the flu?

From about 28 mins onwards:

Dare I say because largely people now have immunity.

You mean **clutches pearls** "OMFG herd immunity".

Do you want everyone to die?

Sunetra Gupta is only a professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford Uni.

I'm standing by for Lastwalt to have a hissy-fit with me again.

You mean **clutches pearls** "OMFG herd immunity".

Do you want everyone to die?

Sunetra Gupta is only a professor of theoretical epidemiology at Oxford Uni.

I'm standing by for Lastwalt to have a hissy-fit with me again.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Sunetra Gupta made a good point. She said this coronavirus is NOT a deadly disease for the vast majority of people. She indicated that vulnerable people could be 'shielded' in a more intelligent way that wouldn't mean they're sealed off - alone - in their rooms/houses.

Rather than test children/the young, who're safe from the corona, you target that testing at the people who're going to be around the vulnerable. I take it by that she meant their family, friends and carers.

She said this would reduce the risk of the vulnerable catching the virus.

Sunetra Gupta made a good point. She said this coronavirus is NOT a deadly disease for the vast majority of people. She indicated that vulnerable people could be 'shielded' in a more intelligent way that wouldn't mean they're sealed off - alone - in their rooms/houses.

Rather than test children/the young, who're safe from the corona, you target that testing at the people who're going to be around the vulnerable. I take it by that she meant their family, friends and carers.

She said this would reduce the risk of the vulnerable catching the virus.

3 of the Managers who’ve been noisily demanding our return to desks have been jollying across to EUrope on cheap trips regularly, and openly admit they don’t self isolate on their ‘it’s all bollox, it’s just a bit of flu’ return.
They seemed a bit upset when my LM told them ‘fine, my team will carry on WFH until a vaccine.

Latest Threads