Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

We were discussing child covid deaths (less than 20) until you threw a dead cat on the table and made it all about yourself.

ah I see, when the arkward fact that the medical authorities were actively shielding all immunosupressed patKent’s from February is pointed out to spoil your strange beliefs, you throw a paddy.

ah I see, when the arkward fact that the medical authorities were actively shielding all immunosupressed patKent’s from February is pointed out to spoil your strange beliefs, you throw a paddy.

Brilliant, so shielding works so well we have had less than 20 children (under the age of 19) die.

If this is right it kinda undermines locking down a whole population which also kills people.

You sure it was February?

The news item is dated 22 March:

"When will the letters go out?
Letters will go out this week "strongly advising" people not to go out for at least 12 weeks from Monday. "

France now to join Spain et al on the naughty step:

BBC News - France to be added to UK quarantine countries

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You sure it was February?

The news item is dated 22 March:

"When will the letters go out?
Letters will go out this week "strongly advising" people not to go out for at least 12 weeks from Monday. "

you mean my Consultant didn’t advise me in February to start staying indoors and to WFH?
you do realise Doctors treating immunosuppressed patients weren’t relying exclusively on shielding letters? apparently, they had noticed some nasty Lurgie was coming from China.
next you will be telling me they didn’t preemptivly switch me to a self injectable treatment to avoid the regular hospital inpatient sessions.
those Doctors eh! What were they thinking using their medical knowledge to protect their patients!

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Apparently the French don't do case locations but they do for hospitalisations. By a rough estimate it is about the same as the UK, plus they have almost precisely the same number of daily deaths with 17 today in France. Also I suspect that the count may be skewed by an increase in French Guyana which accounts for some 10% of cases.

-There is no reasonable argument for making the action
-The action will cost many more jobs in the UK associated with travel, transport and holidays.
- It is likely due more to arguments over trade deals and un-ticketed channel passengers than anything to do with Covid. It's bloody ridiculous.

Reference on numbers; France Coronavirus Map and Case Count

Meanwhile in the dodgy dealings department, a pair of Americans have been arrested in Colombia for selling what amounts to bleach as something you are supposed to drink as a magic cure.
Floridians who promoted bleach cocktail as a COVID-19 cure arrested in Colombia
Colombian officials say they have arrested two Florida men wanted in the United States on charges they illegally sold a bleach-like chemical as a miracle cure for the new coronavirus and other diseases.

The two were selling chlorine dioxide as the "Miracle Mineral Solution", apparently a cure-all for what ails you, including COVID-19. They were selling it around the world.
The Colombian prosecutor's office said Tuesday that Mark and Joseph Grennon were arrested in the beach town of Santa Marta, and were shipping their "Miracle Mineral Solution" — chlorine dioxide — from there to clients in the United States, Colombia and Africa. (...)

The organization also has operated in Mexico, Australia and other countries. Despite opposition from doctors and health experts, Bolivia's congress recently legalized use of the substance.

They operate their business as a "church", the "Genesis II Church of Health and Healing". They've been selling MMS as a cure for everything from cancer to autism to malaria, with the latest being COVID-19.
Mark Grenon is the archbishop of the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing, based in Bradenton, Fla., which is centred on use of the toxic chemical as a supposed sacrament it claims can cure a vast variety of illnesses ranging from cancer to autism to malaria and now COVID-19.

The chemical is a sort of bleach, and is used for things such as manufacturing paper, treating wastewater, and the like. Apparently at least half a dozen people have died from ingesting it.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the solution sold by the Grenons becomes a bleach when ingested that is typically used for such things as treating textiles, industrial water, pulp and paper.

Authorities said drinking it could be fatal or lead to dangerous side effects such as severe vomiting or diarrhea or life-threatening low blood pressure.

In their announcement of the arrest, the Colombian authorities said that seven Americans had died ingesting the mixture but did not provide a source for that claim. The original release from U.S. officials does not attribute any specific deaths to the men and their company.

The American government have been after the pair as well, with the scoff-laws saying the government has no authority over them because of the US constitution or something like that. I have a feeling that argument isn't going to go far in court.
"We will NOT be participating in any of your UNCONSTITUTIONAL Orders, Summons, etc," one email from Mark Grenon read. "Again and again I have written you all that ... you have NO authority over our Church."

I seem to recall reading something on this thread a while ago about chlorine dioxide being the latest and greatest miracle cure. I can't recall if that was from one of the garden variety site loonies though, or whether it was from the loony-in-chief in Washington.

In either event, now we know where this idea was coming from. The above mentioned American pair were promoting it as magic cure.

And here's the Thursday COVID-19 summary.
Coronavirus: What's happening around the world on Thursday

The main new items of interest are:

The Philippines are expected to start clinical trials in October for the new Russian "Sputnik V" vaccine. They appear to be targetting widespread inoculation in the spring.
The Philippines plans to launch clinical trials for a Russian coronavirus vaccine in October, with President Rodrigo Duterte expected to be inoculated as early as May next year, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said on Thursday.

Roque made the announcement a day after Philippine scientists met with representatives of the vaccine developer, research facility Gamaleya, to discuss trials and information about the inoculation.

Russia on Tuesday became the world's first country to grant regulatory approval for a COVID-19 vaccine, to be named "Sputnik V" in homage to the Soviet Union's launch of the world's first satellite.

From this it appears that the Russian approval of the vaccine may not mean what some people assumed it meant. I had said earlier that the approval may have been approval for production, not for doing large scale vaccinations. This news seems to say that they are still doing trails. I believe the UK also authorised production to start on the Oxford vaccine in parallel with the trials in order to not waste time if the vaccine works out.

A large scale study it being performed In Africa to look at antibodies to get some idea of how widespread COVID-19 infection is. Lack of testing in Africa means that knowledge of the scale of infection there is limited. Recent investigation in Mozambique found antibodies in 5% of households in Nampula, and 2.5% in Pemba.
An Africa-wide study of antibodies to the coronavirus has begun, while evidence from a smaller study indicates that many more people have been infected than official numbers show, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.

Experts are eager to know the real number of COVID-19 cases in Africa, as confirmed cases and deaths have been relatively low on the continent of 1.3 billion people. Poor data collection, however, has complicated efforts.

But recent surveys in Mozambique found antibodies — proteins the body makes when an infection occurs — to the virus in five per cent of households in the city of Nampula and 2.5 per cent in the city of Pemba.

That's while Mozambique has just 2,481 confirmed virus cases. Further studies are underway in the capital, Maputo, and the city of Quelimane.

A South African expat in New Brunswick Canada has been helping stranded South Africans get home from locations across the Far East.
Riverview newcomer helps South Africans get home from China

This pilot had heard from friends who were stranded in Thailand when flights shut down. Trying to find a way to help them get home was a problem, as flights had shut down and hiring a private jet would cost about a million dollars.

He however realised that a lot of other South Africans might be in the same situation, and so hit on the idea that if he could find them, he could rent a plane, fly it around the Far East, and pick up groups of people who would pay about $1,000 apiece to defray the costs.

He used his business contacts to hire an Air Zimbabwe Boeing 767, and flew to Thailand, the Philippines, and China to pick up stranded South Africans and Zimbabweans.

He managed to organise several repatriation flights this way, and he did it all without any company behind him, just a phone and a laptop.

Unexpected expenses have left him out of pocket and he's basically broke at this point. However, he's confident about being able to make it back at some point in the future.

Overall, it's a very good story and well worth reading.

you mean my Consultant didn’t advise me in February to start staying indoors and to WFH?
you do realise Doctors treating immunosuppressed patients weren’t relying exclusively on shielding letters? apparently, they had noticed some nasty Lurgie was coming from China.
next you will be telling me they didn’t preemptivly switch me to a self injectable treatment to avoid the regular hospital inpatient sessions.
those Doctors eh! What were they thinking using their medical knowledge to protect their patients!

We weren't talking about you; we were discussing the lockdown and covid child deaths.

You reckon early shielding protected them, meaning we had less than 20 child deaths.

I pointed out that the lockdown happened too late and the damage was already done by the time it was introduced; shielding didn't start for the vast majority of 1.5 million who needed it till late March when the letters went out.

Your scenario only applies to you, not the 1.5 million people who received their letters in late march.

HTH

There is always a case for quarantining the French if only for those stinky cigarettes and lack of ability to purchase deodorant.
Not when it scuppers both of my camping / paddle boarding holidays, sadly. Lost the Jun / Jul trip becsuse of the lockdowns in UK and France but managed to transfer
Eurotunnel and campsite bookings to end of Aug / Sep, and now had the rug pulled out from this one too, two weeks before we were due to leave. Seeking to 'test and adjust now and been looking at the Lake District; £700 per night for two people - profiteering bastards!!

BBC News - France to be added to UK quarantine countries

Am I the only one who is thinking, "fuckem" to the half a million UK tourists stuck in France panicking like fcuk trying to get back before the 04:00hrs deadline before having to self isolate on their return?

Anyone who drove, flew, sailed, cycled or walked to anywhere abroad during this Pandemic deserves all that is coming to them. Selfish bunch of cnuts the lot of them.

Plus what the fcuck does it matter with the 04:00 deadline anyway. If they have been over there for a few days or weeks, coming back into the UK at 03:59 hrs or even 12 hours earlier isn't going to change diddley squat. They have either got it or they haven't.

The whole thing is a total clusterfuck.

Am I the only one who is thinking, "fuckem" to the half a million UK tourists stuck in France panicking like fcuk trying to get back before the 04:00hrs deadline before having to self isolate on their return?

Anyone who drove, flew, sailed, cycled or walked to anywhere abroad during this Pandemic deserves all that is coming to them. Selfish bunch of cnuts the lot of them.

Plus what the fcuck does it matter with the 04:00 deadline anyway. If they have been over there for a few days or weeks, coming back into the UK at 03:59 hrs or even 12 hours earlier isn't going to change diddley squat. They have either got it or they haven't.

If it had been called when we were out there we'd have stayed, come back as normal and quarantined ourselves as per the rules - both our employers were happy for us to work from home in that event. However, 0A's employer (notwithstanding the above - the campsites and Eurotunnel had initially been booked in Dec 19) stated that a dim view would be taken if she went to France in contravention of FCO advice and then had to quarantine. In that case the WFH was off the table and the gap to be covered by unpaid leave (if no annual leave left). I've also been told that I now cannot cancel my leave. We understand the reasons for the quarantine but very disappointed nonetheless.

Last edited:

Apparently, there are lots of wee boats along the coast of the Pas de Calais that they can rent at very reasonable rates to get back. They only have to get half-way, and they can hitch a lift for the rest.

1597410208879.png

Excerpt:

About one in two Russian medics — 52% — surveyed by the Doctor’s Handbook app said they won’t take the new vaccine.

Only 24.5% of healthcare workers surveyed said they’d be willing to get vaccinated, according to RBC.

Out of the 52% of Russian medics who said they won’t get vaccinated, 66% cited insufficient data proving its effectiveness and 48% said it was developed too fast.

Twenty percent of the medics who won't get vaccinated told the Doctor’s Handbook that they’d still recommend the Sputnik V to patients, colleagues and friends.

In response to the poll, Deputy Health Minister Oleg Salagay said the results are par for the course and that “it’s normal for trust to be earned through years of application.”

1 in 2 Russian Doctors Distrust New Coronavirus Vaccine – Poll - The Moscow Times

I reckon loads will avoid getting tested in NZ so they don't end up in a quarantine facility.

Anders Tegnell reckons no country has ever successfully prevented an epidemic through closing borders, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the long run for NZ.

Latest Threads