MERS Coronavirus warning

4(T)

LE
Well, we're all saved. Vlad the Impaler is going to come riding to the rescue:

From La Vanguardia

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced on Tuesday that his country has managed to be the first in the world to register a vaccine against the new coronavirus .

"This morning a vaccine against the new coronavirus was registered for the first time in the world," said the Kremlin chief in a meeting with the Cabinet of Ministers.

According to the president, the Russian vaccine is "effective", has passed all the necessary tests and allows achieving a "stable immunity" against Covid-19.

Some dissenters:

Hope this chap doesn't accidentally fall out of a window.

Some dissenters:

Hope this chap doesn't accidentally fall out of a window.
And Putin says he's already given the vaccine to his daughter despite it not yet passing clinical trials.
Smacks a bit of Frances Gummer trying to feed his daughter a beefburger during the BSE crisis.

And Putin says he's already given the vaccine to his daughter despite it not yet passing clinical trials.
Smacks a bit of Frances Gummer trying to feed his daughter a beefburger during the BSE crisis.
I didn't know John had transitioned. I bet he looks good in a frock

From La Vanguardia

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced on Tuesday that his country has managed to be the first in the world to register a vaccine against the new coronavirus .

"This morning a vaccine against the new coronavirus was registered for the first time in the world," said the Kremlin chief in a meeting with the Cabinet of Ministers.

According to the president, the Russian vaccine is "effective", has passed all the necessary tests and allows achieving a "stable immunity" against Covid-19.
I reckon it's a possibility because in the west they can't give the vaccine and then purposely infect people with the coronavirus to see if they get symptoms.

I believe the Oxford vaccine group has had to inoculate people in the US (or Brazil) because rates of UK community transmission are so low it would be difficult to determine if the vaccine worked or not.

But I doubt such ethical hurdles would prevent Putin from purposely infecting those that Russia have inoculated with a new vaccine, which would speed up the process.

From La Vanguardia

This timely news clearly proves that Russia had no need to try and hack research servers in the UK and USA. Of course it does... :rolleyes:

Hackers “almost certainly” from a Russian intelligence agency have been targeting coronavirus vaccine development, the UK, US and Canada warned.
Russian hackers APT29 accused of stealing vaccine research

Last edited:
The Russians are very naughty at the moment.

I would dearly like to see the testing protocols they have used. It would not surprise me if they just popped up a single antigen based vaccine without appropriate trials and safeguards and just hoped for the best. The best often occurs but not always and especially with coronavirus type agents. That is why the West is taking it step by step.

I look forward to more news on this. Given their behaviour in the past, I think @Whey_Aye_Banzai may be making appropriate comment.

happyuk

War Hero
Meanwhile in Australia this epauletted prick boasts about smashing people's car windows and pulling them out, presumably across the shattered glass, so that Coronadoom Patrols can demand to see their papers.

He said he was following the orders of, not a specific law exactly, but the dictates of some Health Commissar, or whatever.

Meanwhile in Australia this epauletted prick boasts about smashing people's car windows and pulling them out, presumably across the shattered glass, so that Coronadoom Patrols can demand to see their papers.
Where I live in UK, a significant number of people just ignore the mask wearing. I think it is partly forgetfulness and partly pig headery. I see no evidence whatsoever of enforcement.

I don't think the police where I live have any interest although other police forces ( He He) may behave differently. I suspect the level of police action is dictated by the level of other offences. High crime areas will see no mask enforcement. Low crime areas will see more enforcement. It is , of course, possible that the police have washed their hands of the whole affair.

Personally, I would not like to see UK police smashing people's car windows and dragging them out. A good dose of verbal humiliation and cutting sarcasm is usually enough before resorting to such strenuous activity.

I reckon it's a possibility because in the west they can't give the vaccine and then purposely infect people with the coronavirus to see if they get symptoms.

I believe the Oxford vaccine group has had to inoculate people in the US (or Brazil) because rates of UK community transmission are so low it would be difficult to determine if the vaccine worked or not.

But I doubt such ethical hurdles would prevent Putin from purposely infecting those that Russia have inoculated with a new vaccine, which would speed up the process.
The Russians could test it on prison inmates. The only problem they might have there would be finding someone who doesn't already have COVID-19.

It appears that the Russian COVID-19 vaccine may be "approved", but it won't be in mass production until the end of the year, which is about the same time as other vaccines are targetting.
Russia approves coronavirus vaccine before final clinical trials are completed
The vaccine, developed by the Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology, still has to complete final trials, raising serious concerns among some scientific experts about the speed of its approval, but Russian business conglomerate Sistema has said it expects to put it into mass production by the end of the year.
It is possible that the approval process is for starting production rather than for giving everyone jabs with it. Clinical trials may be done by the time it is ready to start giving it to everyone, meaning final approval may be given or withdrawn at that point. I haven't seen anything in the news which could tell us if Russian approval gateways are exactly the same as those used in Western countries, or if their drugs approval system has more intermediate steps. If it's the latter, this announcement may not mean what everyone is assuming it means.

They plan to market the vaccine abroad under the trademark "Sputnik V". I'm not sure if that is the roman numeral "V" or if that means "V" for vaccine.
Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia's sovereign wealth fund, hailed the development as a historic "Sputnik moment," comparable to the Soviet Union's 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the world's first satellite.

The vaccine will be marketed under the name 'Sputnik V' on foreign markets, he said.
There is already foreign interest in a billion doses, and Brazil have signed an agreement to produce it there. I should point out that many countries are licensing multiple vaccines in hopes that one of them will work out.
Dmitriev said Russia had already received foreign requests for a billion doses. International agreements had been secured to produce 500 million doses annually, with the vaccine also expected to be produced in Brazil.
Clinical trials are expected to start soon in the UAE and the Philippines.
He said clinical trials were expected to start soon in the United Arab Emirates and the Philippines.
The type of vaccine is similar to that used by the Oxford vaccine developed in Britain, which I understand to be a fairly conventional one. There are some exotic vaccines being developed by groups in some countries, including a plant based one developed in Canada, but I haven't heard how those ones are working out.
The vaccine is a non-replicating viral vector vaccine similar in technology to the one being developed by the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca. It uses two different adenoviruses as a carrier to bring coronavirus proteins into the body to elicit an immune response.

It appears that the Russian COVID-19 vaccine may be "approved", but it won't be in mass production until the end of the year, which is about the same time as other vaccines are targetting.
Russia approves coronavirus vaccine before final clinical trials are completed

It is possible that the approval process is for starting production rather than for giving everyone jabs with it. Clinical trials may be done by the time it is ready to start giving it to everyone, meaning final approval may be given or withdrawn at that point. I haven't seen anything in the news which could tell us if Russian approval gateways are exactly the same as those used in Western countries, or if their drugs approval system has more intermediate steps. If it's the latter, this announcement may not mean what everyone is assuming it means.

They plan to market the vaccine abroad under the trademark "Sputnik V". I'm not sure if that is the roman numeral "V" or if that means "V" for vaccine.

There is already foreign interest in a billion doses, and Brazil have signed an agreement to produce it there. I should point out that many countries are licensing multiple vaccines in hopes that one of them will work out.

Clinical trials are expected to start soon in the UAE and the Philippines.

The type of vaccine is similar to that used by the Oxford vaccine developed in Britain, which I understand to be a fairly conventional one. There are some exotic vaccines being developed by groups in some countries, including a plant based one developed in Canada, but I haven't heard how those ones are working out.
Sputnik = Fellow Traveller
They just can't help themselves can they?

Masks have been required to board an aircraft in Canada since April, but exceptions were made for people with valid medical reasons. However, a new regulation has come out that anyone who wishes to have an exemption must present a note from a doctor stating that they are medically exempt. The airline are required to enforce it and deny boarding to anyone who does not comply.
Transport Canada says if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons, prove it — or don't fly

Here's the actual ministerial order.

Sputnik = Fellow Traveller
They just can't help themselves can they?
The reference to "Sputnik" relates to the Sputnik satellite, when the Soviets put the first satellite into orbit.

In this case they are saying they have the first COVID-19 vaccine. As I said above however it's not actually in mass production yet.

The reference to "Sputnik" relates to the Sputnik satellite, when the Soviets put the first satellite into orbit.

In this case they are saying they have the first COVID-19 vaccine. As I said above however it's not actually in mass production yet.
Thanks. I realise that but the name still carries the same meaning. Presumably they are hoping that the product will orbit the earth. Sales plus hearts and minds comrade. ;)

He said he was following the orders of, not a specific law exactly, but the dictates of some Health Commissar, or whatever.
I like the cut of Shane Pattons jib!

happyuk

War Hero
I like the cut of Shane Pattons jib!
He has a rat-faced persona that reminds me of a former colleague I intensely disliked some 10 years ago.

And in spite of the passing of a considerable number of years, letting bygones be bygones and all that, my desire to comprehensively work the fellow over with a baseball bat has never diminished!

Latest Threads