MERS Coronavirus warning

Sweden population 10 million.
Scotland population 5 million.

Swedish Covid deaths: 5,763
Scotland Covid deaths: 4,208,

Sources for death stats:

Sweden has beaten Scotland yet they didn't lock down hard.

Weird.
If you are so sure you are right about this, why is it that you have deliberately posted misleading figures?

The death figures you posted as a comparison between Scotland and Sweden are based on different measures. The figure given for Sweden is deaths where a positive test for Covid-19 had been confirmed in the previous 30 days, and the figure you have quoted for Scotland is measured on a much wider basis.
The current death figures measured on the same basis are:
Sweden: 5763
Scotland: 2491

If you really want to make yourself appear credible, I suggest that you begin with understanding the basis of the statistics that you quote.

If you are so sure you are right about this, why is it that you have deliberately posted misleading figures?

The death figures you posted as a comparison between Scotland and Sweden are based on different measures. The figure given for Sweden is deaths where a positive test for Covid-19 had been confirmed in the previous 30 days, and the figure you have quoted for Scotland is measured on a much wider basis.
The current death figures measured on the same basis are:
Sweden: 5763
Scotland: 2491

If you really want to make yourself appear credible, I suggest that you begin with understanding the basis of the statistics that you quote.
Dry your eyes, sweetheart, the figures stand as correct.

Scotland - even with it's much tougher lockdown - hasn't done as well as Sweden.

Dry your eyes, sweetheart, the figures stand as correct.

Scotland - even with it's much tougher lockdown - hasn't done as well as Sweden.

That second link shows 2.491 deaths in Scotland. The figure you quoted is closer to the number recovered.
Although one site does say 4,208 where Covid-19 was "mentioned" on the death certificate.
Be interesting to see if the Swedish figures show cause of death or mentioned.

Last edited:
That second link shows 2.491 deaths in Scotland. The figure you quoted is closer to the number recovered.
  • It's apparently 2,491 in Scotland who died with a positive test.
  • 4,208 where COVID-19 was "mentioned on the death certificate".
  • 4,885 excess deaths calculated from a 5 year average.

Read the following quote to get an explanation of the above. NRS is "National Records Scotland", who are the official statistics agency.
Overall, the number of deaths recorded by the NRS is far higher than daily figures reported by Public Health Scotland (PHS).

This is because the NRS includes all cases where Covid-19 is mentioned on a death certificate, even if the patient had not been tested. The PHS figures are based on the deaths of those who had tested positive for the virus.

Including excess deaths calculated from a five-year average, there are three ways to count Covid-19 deaths in Scotland.
To compare this to the Swedish figures you would need comparable figure. According to this news source, as of April COVID-19 deaths in Sweden are based on died with a positive test for COVID-19.

If masks are so darn efficacious, we should be able to defeat the flu this year without a vaccine. Right?
Possibly. More realistic would be to hope that masks can help us make it through the winter without a resurgence of the virus and by summer we might be rolling out a vaccine widely.

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Sunday.
Coronavirus: What's happening around the world on Sunday

The US now have more than 5 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, along with 162,000 deaths.
The United States has now recorded more than five million cases of COVID-19, with more than 162,000 deaths, since identifying its first confirmed case of the new respiratory illness in January, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
Five states, California, Texas, Florida, New York and Georgia account for 40 percent of new infections.
Figures compiled this week show that five states — California, Texas, Florida, New York and Georgia — account for more than 40 per cent of infections.
In Greece, people must wear a mask in all retail places and transport other than private cars.
In Europe, Greek authorities have announced a record daily number of 203 new coronavirus cases. Beginning Monday and ending Aug. 31, everyone must wear a mask in all retail places, as well as all modes of transport other than private cars, the government has decided. People attending church must also do so, though priests are not required to wear masks in church.
Problems persist in Victoria Australia, with thousands of cases with no known source. Melbourne are still in lock-down in an attempt to get it under control.
In Asia-Pacific, the premier of Australia's Victoria state said more than 2,700 active cases have no known source and remain the primary concern of health authorities. Premier Daniel Andrews said confirmed cases also include almost 1,000 health-care workers. The city of Melbourne has been under tough restrictions since a week ago, including an overnight curfew and mandatory wearing of masks, but officials won't see the results of their efforts for another one to two weeks.
South Africa have now confirmed more than 10,000 deaths from COVID-19. The actual total is undoubtedly much higher.
In Africa, South Africa's number of confirmed coronavirus deaths has surpassed 10,000. The Health Department said the country with the world's fifth-largest caseload now has 553,188 cases and 10,210 deaths.

Although one site does say 4,208 where Covid-19 was "mentioned" on the death certificate.
Be interesting to see if the Swedish figures show cause of death or mentioned.
The Swedish measure is on the same basis as the Public Health Scotland measure. The only difference is that one is a 30 day reference period and the other is a 28 day reference period. The references are publicly available.

No, this is just denial on your part. You don’t understand the difference in the statistical basis, so you just make yourself look even more like an idiot.
Do you think the UK's figures are being falsely inflated - or presented - to make it look worse than it actually is?

Possibly. More realistic would be to hope that masks can help us make it through the winter without a resurgence of the virus and by summer we might be rolling out a vaccine widely.
There's not much mask wearing going on in Wales so we should see a massive resurgence there.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
Please your clearly an educated person. Shame if you really think that the insistence of masks on the public could really have any significant impact in slowing virus spread. It's something that's never been found before.

Last edited:
Please your clearly an educated person. Shame if really think that the insistence of masks on the public could really have any significant impact in slowing virus spread. It's something that's never been found before.
I suspect he is an educated person. He may decide to quote from your article in order to refute your comments. All I would say is that you should read it again.

I would also add that the article fails to take into account the fact that Influenza is spread by micro drop. Whilst we don't know if Covid 19 is micro or macro. This has a large bearing on the nature of spread and the author of this article probably took this into account when he said that the ILI results are not directly linkable to Covid19.

Who's sock are you?

Please your clearly an educated person. Shame if you really think that the insistence of masks on the public could really have any significant impact in slowing virus spread. It's something that's never been found before.

It basically just says:
  • We need to do more research.
  • Medical grade masks are better than cloth masks (thanks, but everyone already knows that).
  • Masks are more important when infection rates are higher than when they are lower.
  • Getting people to comply with mask rules is difficult, making research hard for us to do.
  • We need to so more research.
  • We haven't done research in the middle of a major pandemic before, so we're not sure how that affects it.
I don't have any objections to them doing all the research they wish. No doubt it will come in handy during the next pandemic, whenever that happens to come.

Meanwhile, nearly all the public health officials, including many who had at one time didn't think that masks were useful, have come around to the idea that we should be wearing them. I'm willing to accept their advice on this and to do my part in getting life as back to normal as we can under the present circumstances.

Meanwhile, nearly all the public health officials, including many who had at one time didn't think that masks were useful, have come around to the idea that we should be wearing them. I'm willing to accept their advice on this and to do my part in getting life as back to normal as we can under the present circumstances.
I listened to Anders Tegnell explaining why Sweden hasn't been encouraged to wear face masks.

From memory he basically says the evidence that they work in non-clinical settings isn't there, yet there is evidence that people who wear them fail to socially distance (because they have a (possibly false) sense of security), yet socially distancing is proven to work. He also mentioned face-touching because of the mask.

My own suspicions are that the masks, given the timing of their introduction, are a security blanket for the frightened to get them out shopping. It also makes gov like it's 'doing something'.

Luckily in Wales they're not wearing them. I live right on the border so see the difference between shops in England and Wales. There is a marked lack of masks in Wales compared with England, so if what the fearful say is correct, there should be a resurgence of Covid-19 in Wales.

Well, we're all saved. Vlad the Impaler is going to come riding to the rescue:

From La Vanguardia

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced on Tuesday that his country has managed to be the first in the world to register a vaccine against the new coronavirus .

"This morning a vaccine against the new coronavirus was registered for the first time in the world," said the Kremlin chief in a meeting with the Cabinet of Ministers.

According to the president, the Russian vaccine is "effective", has passed all the necessary tests and allows achieving a "stable immunity" against Covid-19.

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced on Tuesday that his country has managed to be the first in the world to register a vaccine against the new coronavirus .

I wonder how similar it will be to other vaccines in clinical trial in the West or on the other hand, how many Turnips it will contain?

All hail King Vlad!

anglo

LE
I wonder how similar it will be to other vaccines in clinical trial in the West or on the other hand, how many Turnips it will contain?

All hail King Vlad!
They are good at making chemicals that kill you, maybe they have knocked a vaccine up that works

Latest Threads