MERS Coronavirus warning

Here's a general COVID-19 news round-up from around the world.
Coronavirus: What's happening around the world on Wednesday

In the US in California, the state has reported it's second worst day for new infections, and have matched their second worst day for deaths. They reported 11,000 new cases on Wednesday.
California has reported its second-highest daily total of new coronavirus cases and equalled its second worst day for deaths amid an ongoing surge in the United States.

More than 11,000 new cases were recorded by state officials Tuesday, a rise of 3.3 per cent. California also recorded 140 deaths, tying a recent tally for its second-highest daily figure.
In Los Angeles, which as a quarter of California's population, the positivity rate has reached 10 percent. A high positivity rate generally means that there are a lot of cases which are getting missed and the real infection rate is much higher. The public health director said that ICUs are in danger of being overwhelmed.
The number of tests and the rate of those testing positive also rose. The positivity rate over the past two weeks has now topped seven per cent, while in hard-hit Los Angeles County, with a quarter of California's population, that rate has soared to nearly 10 per cent.

Public health director Barbara Ferrer said Wednesday that the county is in "an alarming and dangerous phase" that could overwhelm intensive care units and prompt sweeping closure orders if not reversed.
For Prince Harry and Megan, moving from British Columbia which reported 13 new cases and zero deaths on Wednesday to California which reported 11,000 new cases on the same day is starting to sound like one of their less brilliant ideas.

Texas set a new record with 10,800 new cases, and Florida reported 10,183.
Also on Wednesday, Texas set a record for confirmed new coronavirus cases in a single day with nearly 10,800, and Florida reported 10,181 new confirmed cases, reaching 300,000 total infections since the outbreak began there on March 1.
The governor of Oklahoma has reported having COVID-19 and is self-isolating at home. He was one of the governors who was most in favour of re-opening ASAP, and he was also against wearing masks.
Meanwhile, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt announced Wednesday that he's tested positive for the coronavirus and that he is isolating at home.

The first-term Republican governor has backed one of the country's most aggressive reopening plans, has resisted any statewide mandate on masks and rarely wears one himself.
In Bolivia, the president and seven of her cabinet have tested positive for COVID-19. This comes two months before the election is scheduled to be rerun.
Bolivia's government has been rocked by the novel coronavirus, with the president and at least seven of her cabinet ministers testing positive, straining the interim leadership and casting a shadow over a slated election rerun in under two months.
In South Africa, total infections are close to 300,000, with roughly 10,000 per day new ones. COVID-19 wards in hospitals are overflowing, with patients spilling into other parts of the hospital and into tents outdoors.
South Africa's cases of COVID-19 were set to reach 300,000 on Wednesday, the most in Africa and in the top 10 in the world, despite a swiftly imposed lockdown aimed at preventing infections spiralling. The country has 298,292 cases at the last count, and with positive tests now increasing at a rate of more than 10,000 a day, it is all but certain to vault over the 300,000 mark when figures are released on Wednesday night.

In many parts of the country, COVID-19 wards are packed, so patients are spilling into other parts of hospitals and into tents outside, health officials said.
In Tokyo, the COVID-19 alert level was raised to "red", the highest level. There has been a spike in infections, apparently associated with night clubs.
Tokyo raised its coronavirus alert to the highest "red" level on Wednesday, alarmed by a recent spike in daily new cases to record highs, with Gov. Yuriko Koike describing the situation in Japan's capital as "rather severe."

In Tokyo, daily virus cases exceeded 200 in four of the past seven days, touching an all-time high of 243 last Friday as testing among nightclub workers in its red-light districts showed rising infections among people in their 20s and 30s. Health experts noted Tokyo hospitals were getting crowded as the number of patients doubled from the previous week.
In India, lockdown has been reimposed in a number of states as the caseload nears one million.
Indian authorities will impose lockdowns in high-risk areas in nearly a dozen states as the nation's coronavirus caseload approaches one million. A two-week lockdown starting Thursday has been imposed in Bihar, a state in eastern India with 128 million people and a fragile health system. Since Saturday, Bihar has recorded over 1,000 cases each day despite limited testing.

India's key southern technology hub, Bangalore, where the offices of Microsoft, Apple and Amazon are located, was put under a weeklong lockdown Wednesday. About a dozen other states, including Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Assam have also put high-risk areas in lockdown, allowing only essential food supplies and health services.

My, my, doesn't that news about what is happening in Norway sort of piss all over the message of a certain poster who is claiming that loads of people were being killed by stopping the spread of the virus.
Who claimed that stopping the spread of a virus was killing people?

Discontinuing and denying care is killing people.

The virus hasn't stopped at all, and it will continue its trips round the world for the rest of time.
Whether the greater medical community stops, or continues, trying to use it as a scare tactic is pretty much up to how much they can keep its inadequately inflated death rate from declining as a percentage of actual, confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Last edited:
In the US, Walmart have said they will be requiring all customers to wear masks at all stores in the US. Given the sort of clientele that Walmart attract, I can imagine this will provide for plenty of theatrics from people who think that masks are the work of the devil.
Walmart mandates face masks at all of its U.S. stores
Same type of clientele as it attracts in the UK as ASDA.

Masks are what a small bit of protective equipment that all medical professionals should have been utilizing properly from the time they were developed. See also, gloves, disinfectants, surfactants, and sterile procedure.

Here's a general COVID-19 news round-up from around the world.
Coronavirus: What's happening around the world on Wednesday

In the US in California, the state has reported it's second worst day for new infections, and have matched their second worst day for deaths. They reported 11,000 new cases on Wednesday.
They also announced they have been over counting positives. But what is the new death number?

In Los Angeles, which as a quarter of California's population, the positivity rate has reached 10 percent. A high positivity rate generally means that there are a lot of cases which are getting missed and the real infection rate is much higher. The public health director said that ICUs are in danger of being overwhelmed.
Yes, the high positivity rate indicates that many more cases of infection exist than are counted. This also means that the death rate is actually smaller fraction than currently presented.

Texas set a new record with 10,800 new cases, and Florida reported 10,183.
What was the gain on the death numbers? Again, cases actually means nothing by itself. People that have any symptoms are now being tested. How many tests were negative?

The governor of Oklahoma has reported having COVID-19 and is self-isolating at home. He was one of the governors who was most in favour of re-opening ASAP, and he was also against wearing masks.
What does this have to do with actual scientific data?

In Bolivia, the president and seven of her cabinet have tested positive for COVID-19. This comes two months before the election is scheduled to be rerun.
Again, what is the actual scientific significance?

In South Africa, total infections are close to 300,000, with roughly 10,000 per day new ones. COVID-19 wards in hospitals are overflowing, with patients spilling into other parts of the hospital and into tents outdoors.
And what were the numbers of actual positive and negative tests? How many were actually determined by testing, and how many were decided by differential?

In Tokyo, the COVID-19 alert level was raised to "red", the highest level. There has been a spike in infections, apparently associated with night clubs.
Again, negative v positive tests? Any matching rise in deaths?

In India, lockdown has been reimposed in a number of states as the caseload nears one million.
1,000,000 in 1,400,000,000 would be 0.0007, or 0.07% of the population with supposed infection. How many are confirmed? How many tests? How many negative? What is the rise in deaths? Obviously, a great deal more than 0.07% have actually been infected with the "new" coronavirus. Will we ever know that number? Those pesky coronaviruses tend to get around very easily. So, what is the actual total "covid" deaths in India? 24,309. That would be 2.4% of the 0.07% of the population "known" to be infected. Gosh, that is a "really big number" for such a clean place, with such immaculate facilities, and such a sterling public health record.

Tbh no

because that is what some countries have already experienced.... rapid rise in new cases, gradually longer fall in new cases, a period of low new cases followed by a rapid rise
Have a read over what I said about a wave being hard to define. I was talking about one country. Otherwise we must agree to disagree.

Edited to add that in some cases, what you describe would be a second wave. Have a look at the history of the Spanish flu and its three?waves.

Last edited:
Still can’t see it. In a household, the members are already in critical close contact with each other, whether or not the windows are open.

In shops and offices, the windows are probably closed now and the aircon on, so winter, with circulated heating and the windows closed, will be no different.

I’m not being difficult, it’s just that everyone is banging on about a second spike, but no one is explaining where it’s coming from.
Perhaps it's coming back because not enough people caught it the first time round.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The issue isn't going to be households, it's going to be offices and other workplaces, plus also restaurants and the like.

I was at the dentist for a routine visit a few weeks ago. They are in a large commercial building and have the ventilation cranked up to the point where it is noticeably quite loud. This is to get the air changes per hour up to a level which will keep the virus particle levels down to an acceptable level.

They have the HVAC system of a large building to draw on, so they'll probably be fine. Many dentist offices however are in converted homes and the like, making this option not viable. At present they can just open the windows and if it's too hot then too bad. That isn't an option with winter weather however. It's not clear how they will cope.

There may have to be some adjustment to what is considered to be acceptable risk, and there may also have to be more targetted protective measures. To stick with the dentist example, I could imagine sitting with my head in some sort of exhaust hood while in the dentist chair, that just sucked away the contaminated air from around my head, as opposed to trying to ventilate an entire office at a high volume. I don't know if that is practical, but it's the sort of lateral thinking that we may need to employ.

Whatever the solutions are however, we need to start planning for them now rather than six months from now.
No current plans to put hoods on patients, however there are several hood types that dentists and nurses are wearing who fail face fit testing on FFP3 masks.

But you conveniently ignore the fact that "Covid Disease" is continually adding all the symptoms and effects of every other syndrome known to man to include the cold, the flu, the sniffles, pharyngitis, meningitis, encephalitis, food poisoning, asthma, COPD, dysentery, tinea pedis and cruris, flatulence, excessive ear wax build up, acne, and dandruff to its own list to grow it's fear and influence.

In other words... if you have a SARS-CoV-2 infection and you haven't gotten past cold symptoms, you have the ******* cold you ******* moron, and 95% are not advancing past the cold.

Hows that 'cold' coming on in Florida, Arizona and California?

Who claimed that stopping the spread of a virus was killing people?

Discontinuing and denying care is killing people.

The virus hasn't stopped at all, and it will continue its trips round the world for the rest of time.
Whether the greater medical community stops, or continues, trying to use it as a scare tactic is pretty much up to how much they can keep its inadequately inflated death rate from declining as a percentage of actual, confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Interesting point you made about ‘scare tactic ‘ ..(without sinking to conspiracy theories or anything that reeks of a Robin Cook medical thriller) what’s your reasoning behind this? Unless it’s a control exercise and the hippocratic oath has gone out of the window well and truly Since it kicked off.

I am sure with any mass disaster,or war always some unscrupulous individuals groups trying To make a fast buck.

On a more sarcastic cynical note . In light of how some nasty parts of society were racially targeting some Of the Chinese population blaming them for this, when this kicked off .. I wonder of they be silently thanking the Chinese government incompetence from day one as the virus is targeting the BAME community that they themselves have been targeting on and off for half a century .

Cheers

So, the rumour is true, Boris preparing too use the CS to encourage everyone back to their offices by ordering us back first.

Nope… I'm not risking my health to keep Pret a Manger and Costa in business.

So, the rumour is true, Boris preparing too use the CS to encourage everyone back to their offices by ordering us back first.

Nope… I'm not risking my health to keep Pret a Manger and Costa in business.
I wonder if that will survive first contact once the initial corporate manslaughter case commences?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hows that 'cold' coming on in Florida, Arizona and California?

Political editorial is science? You are displaying an extreme amount of social and educational retardation. Very progressive there.

Political editorial is science? You are displaying an extreme amount of social and educational retardation. Very progressive there.

You 'Muricans seem very angry that the Orange Idiot has led the USA into the biggest COVID disaster on Earth, with no sign in sight it will get any better.

Interesting point you made about ‘scare tactic ‘ ..(without sinking to conspiracy theories or anything that reeks of a Robin Cook medical thriller) what’s your reasoning behind this? Unless it’s a control exercise and the hippocratic oath has gone out of the window well and truly Since it kicked off.

I am sure with any mass disaster,or war always some unscrupulous individuals groups trying To make a fast buck.

On a more sarcastic cynical note . In light of how some nasty parts of society were racially targeting some Of the Chinese population blaming them for this, when this kicked off .. I wonder of they be silently thanking the Chinese government incompetence from day one as the virus is targeting the BAME community that they themselves have been targeting on and off for half a century .

Cheers
You haven't been paying attention.

It is a control exercise. The programming works.

It works so well that the "Public Heath Expert Insights" newsletter that the top rated Public Health School, that also happens to be one of my alma maters, sends out is mostly composed of commentary on, and links to, editorials from such great medical sources as The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time Magazine, and The Today Show.

China are part of the planning committee, and, don't be racist.

Latest Threads