MERS Coronavirus warning

I do curbside pickup of groceries where they actually put them in the boot and on occasion it takes a bit of a wait which isn’t a big deal. What l do as l wait is watch who is going in and out of the stores including Walmart and Canadian Tire. On Friday evening not a single person was wearing a mask or washing their hands at the provided stations at the entrances. The bigger eye opener was the cars with number plates from Michigan, Ohio, and Penn, I am shocked we have got so far relatively unscathed.......
If I recall correctly, the area you are in has been one of the hot spots in the province and was held back from going to stage 2 in re-opening.

We don't see many American license plates here even in normal times, and I can't recall having seen one in months.

There was a story in the news a few days ago about American licence plates in Canada. If you are seeing them in Ontario the cars will mainly belong to Canadians who had been living in the US and moved back to Canada after things went down the crapper in the US, or in a few cases they will be people on essential business, or are in a few other exempt categories (e.g. international student). When they are allowed in, they have to quarantine for two weeks (truck drivers and airline crews excepted).

In Alberta and Yukon there have been problems with Americans abusing transit privileges between Alaska and the rest of the US negotiated as part of the border closure. They are supposed to go straight through by the most direct route without any unnecessary stops. RCMP have been looking for ones who are outside the permitted transit areas and have been issuing fines.

According to the news story there have been multiple reports of people with American license plates being on the receiving end of "aggressive behaviour" by locals. This being Canada rather than the US, we haven't been shooting them. Instead the "aggressive behaviour" has mainly been dirty looks and people telling the the "dirty Americans" to "go home". The recipients of this behaviour have been in tears while trying to explain that they aren't Americans.

The news story concluded with a plea to be more understanding of Americans (or apparent Americans), etc., etc. Or in other words, to not get the pitchforks and torches out whenever you see an American license plate as they may have a valid excuse. Of course that's just the usual limp wristed news reporting, and you ought to get your friends together and go patrolling for Americans sneaking over the border. Remember however that they are all riddled with plague and you need to wear the correct PPE when lynching them.
 

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does private insurance alleviate the problem in any way? Are there any private hospitals in Britain?
All private hospitals are elective type with little or no ICU or emergency department.
One bone of contention is that if things go wrong in private hospital then they are shifted to the NHS
 

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If I recall correctly, the area you are in has been one of the hot spots in the province and was held back from going to stage 2 in re-opening.

We don't see many American license plates here even in normal times, and I can't recall having seen one in months.

There was a story in the news a few days ago about American licence plates in Canada. If you are seeing them in Ontario the cars will mainly belong to Canadians who had been living in the US and moved back to Canada after things went down the crapper in the US, or in a few cases they will be people on essential business, or are in a few other exempt categories (e.g. international student). When they are allowed in, they have to quarantine for two weeks (truck drivers and airline crews excepted).

In Alberta and Yukon there have been problems with Americans abusing transit privileges between Alaska and the rest of the US negotiated as part of the border closure. They are supposed to go straight through by the most direct route without any unnecessary stops. RCMP have been looking for ones who are outside the permitted transit areas and have been issuing fines.

According to the news story there have been multiple reports of people with American license plates being on the receiving end of "aggressive behaviour" by locals. This being Canada rather than the US, we haven't been shooting them. Instead the "aggressive behaviour" has mainly been dirty looks and people telling the the "dirty Americans" to "go home". The recipients of this behaviour have been in tears while trying to explain that they aren't Americans.

The news story concluded with a plea to be more understanding of Americans (or apparent Americans), etc., etc. Or in other words, to not get the pitchforks and torches out whenever you see an American license plate as they may have a valid excuse. Of course that's just the usual limp wristed news reporting, and you ought to get your friends together and go patrolling for Americans sneaking over the border. Remember however that they are all riddled with plague and you need to wear the correct PPE when lynching them.
We have a neighbour who routinely drives a VW campervan instead of a car, has "Not a tourist, I live here" in every window
 
Full lockdown ended in Spain on June 21st. Pubs, restaurants and other social venues were allowed to open with 75% of capacity allowed indoors and 100% outdoors.

The Spanish min of health has issued figures to show that the number of cases since then has risen more amongst the younger population. As of 21st June, those under 10 have shown an increase of 12.9% and those 11 to 19 is up by 13.2%. Still relatively low numbers compared with the older generation but the increase amongst the elderly is aged 50 to 59 up 4.47%, over 60s up 3.4% and those over 80 up 1.9%.

Putting that into figures, under 20s are up by 60 new cases since June 21st and the over 80s up by 50 new cases since the lockdown ended.

Suggestions are that the young are now mixing more than they did during lockdown and going to bars and playing team sports plus congregating on beaches and so on whilst the elderly are more likely to keep themselves semi-isolated and will also pay more attention to not mixing in crowds etc.
 

ABNredleg

War Hero
Story in the paper this morning that North Carolina has had an estimated 500,000 cases out of a population of 10.5 million. If we need 60% for herd immunity then we are still early stages.
 

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Story in the paper this morning that North Carolina has had an estimated 500,000 cases out of a population of 10.5 million. If we need 60% for herd immunity then we are still early stages.
The difficulty is that whilst 80per cent of folk have mild or moderate symptoms that still leaves 20% of that 60% with more severe symptoms.
About a million and a quarter, that's a lot of casualties.
 

ABNredleg

War Hero
The difficulty is that whilst 80per cent of folk have mild or moderate symptoms that still leaves 20% of that 60% with more severe symptoms.
About a million and a quarter, that's a lot of casualties.
Absolutely. There are a lot of people in denial around here.
 
Full lockdown ended in Spain on June 21st. Pubs, restaurants and other social venues were allowed to open with 75% of capacity allowed indoors and 100% outdoors.

The Spanish min of health has issued figures to show that the number of cases since then has risen more amongst the younger population. As of 21st June, those under 10 have shown an increase of 12.9% and those 11 to 19 is up by 13.2%. Still relatively low numbers compared with the older generation but the increase amongst the elderly is aged 50 to 59 up 4.47%, over 60s up 3.4% and those over 80 up 1.9%.

Putting that into figures, under 20s are up by 60 new cases since June 21st and the over 80s up by 50 new cases since the lockdown ended.

Suggestions are that the young are now mixing more than they did during lockdown and going to bars and playing team sports plus congregating on beaches and so on whilst the elderly are more likely to keep themselves semi-isolated and will also pay more attention to not mixing in crowds etc.
According to news reports here, the elderly tended to have fewer social contacts than young people even before the pandemic. They may have even fewer now, but it's a good question whether that will be enough to limit the spread of infection to them if the virus is circulating widely enough.

A bigger issue though is going to be people working in health care, especially in care homes. They have to live a normal life outside of work. They still have to shop for food, look after their kids, and do everything else. If the virus is everywhere then it is inevitable that they will get infected. When they do get infected, they will spread it to their elderly patients and the body count will start to build up.
 
The difficulty is that whilst 80per cent of folk have mild or moderate symptoms that still leaves 20% of that 60% with more severe symptoms.
About a million and a quarter, that's a lot of casualties.
Again, it's not about stopping it in its tracks, it's about flow control. They even said as much from the very beginning. Do you remember the 'Flattening the sombrero' analogy?

Short of a vaccine or a cure, it's coming your way at some point: The only question is when.
 

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Again, it's not about stopping it in its tracks, it's about flow control. They even said as much from the very beginning. Do you remember the 'Flattening the sombrero' analogy?

Short of a vaccine or a cure, it's coming your way at some point: The only question is when.
According to North Carolina Health Association there are 3000 ventilators and 21,000 acute hospital beds (many of which will be needed for the usual health emergencies and illnesses)

That's a lot of flattening!
 
It's probably nothing, but China have just issued a bubonic plague warning.
China issues bubonic plague warning for Inner Mongolia city
Authorities in a city in the Chinese region of Inner Mongolia issued a warning on Sunday, one day after a hospital reported a case of suspected bubonic plague.

The health committee of the city of Bayan Nur issued the third-level alert, the second lowest in a four-level system.

The alert forbids the hunting and eating of animals that could carry plague and asks the public to report any suspected cases of plague or fever with no clear causes, and to report any sick or dead marmots.
 

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Interesting article in the Telegraph from someone who is fairly well qualified in the field.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...have-originated-china-elsewhere-emerged-asia/
Dr Tom Jefferson, senior associate tutor at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM), at Oxford and a visiting professor at Newcastle University, argues there is growing evidence that the virus was elsewhere before it emerged in Asia.
His argument...
Dr Jefferson believes many viruses lie dormant throughout the globe and emerge when conditions are favourable, which also means they can vanish as quickly as they arrive....

"I think the virus was already here – here meaning everywhere. We may be seeing a dormant virus that has been activated by environmental conditions.
So the virus itself may have have been about for quite some time, but it needed the wet market in China to become virulent and jump species.

Wordsmith
 
Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Herd immunity doesn't appear as if it is anywhere near where we require.
Spain has carried out 3 testing procedures on those who have been infected by the CV.
The first showed 5%, the second 5.2% and the one just completed, where they tested 70,000 of those who had tested positive for CV, also at 5,2%.

Some areas and workers showed markedly different results with health workers at over 10%, police and ambulance workers at 9% but some groups at only 2%.

Results from other European countries who have carried out similar tests are 4 to 5%.
Even Sweden (which had a much lower testing number) which didn't do the lockdown thing as strictly as other countries, only showed antibodies present in 5% of those infected but that is quite a leap from the 1.6% shown just four weeks ago.

Looks like we have a long way to go before any group immunity will become beneficial.
 

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Herd immunity doesn't appear as if it is anywhere near where we require.
Spain has carried out 3 testing procedures on those who have been infected by the CV.
The first showed 5%, the second 5.2% and the one just completed, where they tested 70,000 of those who had tested positive for CV, also at 5,2%.

Some areas and workers showed markedly different results with health workers at over 10%, police and ambulance workers at 9% but some groups at only 2%.

Results from other European countries who have carried out similar tests are 4 to 5%.
Even Sweden (which had a much lower testing number) which didn't do the lockdown thing as strictly as other countries, only showed antibodies present in 5% of those infected but that is quite a leap from the 1.6% shown just four weeks ago.

Looks like we have a long way to go before any group immunity will become beneficial.
We have been warned that as part of attempting to ascertain levels of Covid in the community then we will be swabbing everybody who attends a dentist.
Not sure if it will be antigen or antibody test.
 

Latest Threads

Top