MERS Coronavirus warning

Unfortunately quite unlikely. Given the statistics they may catch it, those that do may not even have symptoms or just mild symptoms. What’s more likely is they go back to their families and give any older relatives it which lands up killing them. And then we get another round of “Covid kills more BAME people and the government should do something about it cos it’s obviously down to racist policies”.
I could write the report on "Covid kills more BAME people" in one line: "Because you dozy f*ckwits all rocked up to Parliament Square shoulder to shoulder and the virus saw a Smorgasbord". I know it won't happen, and even if it did, those imbeciles would still be shouting racism until they ran out of breath (the Schadenfreude could be strong in this scenario).

2 stories in the Times.

Note the headline

Coronavirus: Iran swamped by a second wave after lockdown eased to save jobs
And

Jobs bloodbath accelerates easing of lockdown for pubs, restaurants and weddings

Boris Johnson has ordered ministers to lift the lockdown quickly to avoid the possible loss of three million jobs.

In a significant shift in the government’s approach to Covid-19, the prime minister signed off new measures to open up the economy at a meeting with Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, on Friday night.
On the 10 May, Johnson should have used his Nationwide speech to say

Dafties, Business Leaders and hand wringers are howling for the lockdown to be cancelled.

It is hereby cancelled. When you start becoming infected, hospitalised and dying from Covid. You know where to point the finger and it is not at the Government.

2 stories in the Times.

Note the headline

And

At the beginning of this the UK government's announced position was that the public would only cooperate with a lock-down for a limited period of time, so the strategy was to impose the lock-down during the period of maximum danger.

If the government attempts to impose a lock-down for longer than the public are willing to support it, then there is really very little the government can do to enforce it. There are lots of idle people with nothing to do, and the weather is getting nice. Have a look at the various occasions we have already seen posted on this thread where the participates completely ignored social distancing. Try to crack down too hard and you may see riots in some of the major cities.

Just how long the public will put up with a total lock-down is something that is a matter of judgement rather than science. Lock-down is already being eased in Canada, with the pace and measures varying from province to province according to the local situation.

Same in France where the government has assessed regions using traffic light colours.
Where I live has been graded green based on the number of deaths notified, therefore almost back to normality.
Only cinemas and sports centres remain closed
Bistros, shops, restaurants and cafes fully open, but staff have to wear masks in some.
Go to Paris where it is graded red and unless they have an outside terrace or seating area they don't open.
I also recall at the start of all this here the government stated quite clearly that they were prepared for up to 7 lockdowns and confinements, depending on the number of waves of reinfection.
People here will tolerate most of this as evidenced by fact that although the village school is now open, only 14 kids out of 80 odd are back.
The parents of the rest are keeping them home just in case.

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
I think they've got to ease off restricions now...... suck it and see.

They have an idea now about the virus, and what it can do, our economies can't last much longer on lockdown.

As one of the more vulnerable, we can stay in lockdown for a few more months if necessary...... we've got our pensions, a car so we don't rely on public transport, and all we need is the odd dash out for food and drink.

My heart goes out to the poor souls in self- employment, the low- paid, they must be really hurting.

It's been some weeks since the KSA graced these pages. Apologies for the Wail link, but there seems to be little coverage elsewhere.

'The number of coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia surpassed 100,000 on Sunday, the health ministry said, amid a new surge in infections just weeks ahead of the start of the hajj.

'The total number of infections rose to 101,914 -- the highest in the Gulf -- while the death toll climbed to 712, the ministry added. The kingdom has seen infections spike as it eases stringent lockdown measures, with the number of daily cases exceeding 3,000 for the second day in a row on Sunday.

'On Friday, the kingdom announced a renewed lockdown in the city of Jeddah, gateway to the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, to counter the jump in cases. The measures include a curfew running from 3 pm to 6 am, a suspension of prayers in mosques and a stay-at-home order for public and private sector workers in the Red Sea city whose airport serves pilgrims. After an easing of precautions in the kingdom in late May, the ministry said that strict measures could also soon return to Riyadh, which was "witnessing a continuous increase during the last days" of critical cases of the pandemic.'

It's been some weeks since the KSA graced these pages. Apologies for the Wail link, but there seems to be little coverage elsewhere.

'The number of coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia surpassed 100,000 on Sunday, the health ministry said, amid a new surge in infections just weeks ahead of the start of the hajj.

'The total number of infections rose to 101,914 -- the highest in the Gulf -- while the death toll climbed to 712, the ministry added. The kingdom has seen infections spike as it eases stringent lockdown measures, with the number of daily cases exceeding 3,000 for the second day in a row on Sunday.

'On Friday, the kingdom announced a renewed lockdown in the city of Jeddah, gateway to the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, to counter the jump in cases. The measures include a curfew running from 3 pm to 6 am, a suspension of prayers in mosques and a stay-at-home order for public and private sector workers in the Red Sea city whose airport serves pilgrims. After an easing of precautions in the kingdom in late May, the ministry said that strict measures could also soon return to Riyadh, which was "witnessing a continuous increase during the last days" of critical cases of the pandemic.'

The following site has been referenced a number of times on this thread.

If we look at their list in terms of total cases, Saudi Arabia are now at #15. I'm using yesterday's figures as I assume they are more likely to be up to date and so comparable between countries.

If we look at numbers of new cases, Saudi Arabia are #9. The top 10 in order are:
  1. Brazil
  2. USA
  3. India
  4. Russia
  5. Chile
  6. Pakistan
  7. Peru
  8. Mexico
  9. Saudi Arabia
  10. Bangladesh
I mention new cases, as that gives us an idea of current trends.

And in terms of new deaths, the top 10 are:
  1. Brazil
  2. USA
  3. Mexico
  4. India
  5. UK
  6. Russia
  7. Peru
  8. Pakistan
  9. Chile
  10. Iran

In terms of new cases and new deaths Brazil have now taken the crown form the US, despite having a smaller population. They still have a ways to go in terms of total amounts, but they started later. So much for "it's just a flu, man up" from president Bolsano.

It's interesting how Latin America, the Middle East, and South Asia are rapidly running up the scale while the infection is fading in Europe. It seems to show that aside from some isolated areas, almost nobody is going to get away lightly on this one.

The only major region missing out so far is Africa. Going by the record so far, it should make quite a mark there.

It should be noted that the high rates in places like Brazil, Mexico, and India have been reached despite testing rates that are only about 10% of that seen in Europe. The actual infection and death rates may be much, much, higher than currently reported.

President Bolsanaro of Brazil has hit on a brilliant solution to the rising numbers of infected and dead being reported in Brazil. Brazil currently has the second highest number of infections of any country in the world, and the largest number of new deaths.

Bolsanaro's solution to this is to no longer report the full numbers.
Coronavirus: Hard-hit Brazil removes data amid rising death toll

The health ministry said it would now only be reporting cases and deaths in the past 24 hours, no longer giving a total figure as most countries do.

Mr Bolsonaro said the cumulative data did not reflect the current picture.

Brazil has the world's second-highest number of cases, and has recently had more new deaths than any other nation.
Bolsonaro said that "the cumulative data... does not reflect the moment the country is in". A yes, the numbers don't agree with Bolsonaro's version of reality, so the numbers must be wrong.
On Twitter, Mr Bolsonaro said "the cumulative data... does not reflect the moment the country is in" but did not explain why the information had to be removed or could not be released. He said additional measures were being taken to "improve the reporting of cases".
Bolsonaro has downplayed the seriousness of the pandemic, calling it "a little flu", undermined lock-down measures put in place by state governors, and declared hydroxychloroquine to be the panacea. The death toll in Brazil has risen rapidly.
Mr Bolsonaro has played down the risks of the virus, having initially compared it to "a little flu". Two health ministers have left the post since the outbreak began in disagreement with the president's response.

He has continued to call for lockdown measures imposed by local authorities to be lifted, arguing that they will wreck the economy. The president also accuses state governors and mayors of using the issue for political gain as many who have taken stricter measures oppose his government.

doc80905

War Hero
2 stories in the Times.

Note the headline

And

Some of us have worked pretty much all the way through this, myself in the steel industry. Indeed I have a nice wee letter from Alok Sharma thanking me for my efforts and Wee Nippy personally praised my plant on the telly for the way we've kept going. I find many of the people demanding an indefinite lockdown or a "proper" lockdown (whatever that is) are the ones sitting on 80% being paid by the government to scoop beer out the back. These same people still of course expect the shops to be open, they still expect Amazon to be delivering and their water/gas/electricity etc to be working. I find this whole thing a bizarre situation when for example it is illegal for me to have sex with my girlfriend who stays 4 streets away, yet, with the blessing of the UK and Scottish governments, I am actively encouraged to keep working having interactions with literally hundreds of people a month, many of them complete randoms who I don't know from Adam.

We are now in a situation where we have been in lockdown longer than Wuhan I think. Not sure what people are wanting out of this.

Go to Paris where it is graded red and unless they have an outside terrace or seating area they don't open.
I did notice that the major of Paris was relaxing planning restrictions on outdoor seating and effectively saying that if a cafe didn't already have outdoor space it would be OK to them to cordon off an area for their use. However in typically french fashion it went on to say that only aesthetically pleasing furniture would be permitted. Ironic really since whenever the current mrs_mush browses the various websites offering villas, apartments and holiday homes for rent she says you can tell the French owned ones by the fact that all the dining and kitchen furniture seems to be white uPVC garden furniture, whereas the German and Dutch owned ones have decent quality stuff.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Did anyone miss the daily briefing a at the weekend? I don't there will be many other than journos looking for someone to write their script for them.

The daily briefings were great when first started and a good idea to get information out to the country quickly and with one voice. The past few weeks has seen the briefings deteriorate to a slang-fest by journos all trying to outdo the previous reporter with exactly the same question, often nothing to do with Covid-19 at all.

Time for these briefings to end and any statements needing to be made to be done in parliament as was fine pre Covid.

Did anyone miss the daily briefing a at the weekend? I don't there will be many other than journos looking for someone to write their script for them.

The daily briefings were great when first started and a good idea to get information out to the country quickly and with one voice. The past few weeks has seen the briefings deteriorate to a slang-fest by journos all trying to outdo the previous reporter with exactly the same question, often nothing to do with Covid-19 at all.

Time for these briefings to end and any statements needing to be made to be done in parliament as was fine pre Covid.
I'd like to keep the briefings but scrap the questions afterwards. A 5 or 10 minute presentation by a minister covering the latest statistics and then a relevant message about health, education, sport etc.

The Spanish government are being berated by opposition parties for allowing an International Women's Day march to go ahead at the beginning of this on the 8th March. The opposition are accusing the government of murder (yep, that's the word that was used) and complained about mass marching and groupings being responsible for the initial breakout.
At about the same time, before the full lockdown was brought in, those from Madrid quickly disappeared from the city to their second homes in other regions, especially along the coast. A report came out a couple of weeks ago blaming those from Madrid for spreading the virus to other areas and that inter regional mobility was the biggest cause of the the spread. For those reasons, Madrid has been kept in restrictive lockdown for longer than other regions and only moves on to Phase 2 of the deescalation today, 8th June.

A big parade in Madrid, inter regional travel from Madrid and Madrid Region having the highest level of cases and deaths from CV-19 and you might think people would learn their lesson.

Funny that as this is from Madrid just yesterday

1591613212734.png

This numbers game is getting a bit out of hand. Some new report now says UK death toll for CV19 should be around 51,000 and other countries are being told their death rates are much higher as well.

Trouble is, as has been mentioned on this site many times, these are deaths concerning those with CV-19 and not from CV-19.

The WHO has pointed out that these death tolls are too high to attribute purely to CV-19 and has asked countries to only count those who died of CV-19. It says that people who die in car accidents or from cancer and so on should not have CV-19 as the cause of death on death certificates just because a test shows they had the virus.

Whether or not this will be done is, of course, another matter. Probably the reason why death counts in UK and Spain (among others) are so high compared to that of, say, Germany.

If countries do get around to doing this, it will be interesting to see if the rates drop although the number of excess deaths is still very high.

AfricaExpat

Old-Salt
This numbers game is getting a bit out of hand. Some new report now says UK death toll for CV19 should be around 51,000 and other countries are being told their death rates are much higher as well.

Trouble is, as has been mentioned on this site many times, these are deaths concerning those with CV-19 and not from CV-19.

The WHO has pointed out that these death tolls are too high to attribute purely to CV-19 and has asked countries to only count those who died of CV-19. It says that people who die in car accidents or from cancer and so on should not have CV-19 as the cause of death on death certificates just because a test shows they had the virus.

Whether or not this will be done is, of course, another matter. Probably the reason why death counts in UK and Spain (among others) are so high compared to that of, say, Germany.

If countries do get around to doing this, it will be interesting to see if the rates drop although the number of excess deaths is still very high.
The ONS stats show that the virus has now passed through the population. Influenza and pneumonia cases are now being under reported compared to the 5 year average and match the excess Covid reported deaths.

I think authorities in Spain decided enough of the over reporting at the end of May when they changed their reporting rules and Covid deaths fell from 70's per day to ones and twos overnight. In the UK media and government seems too invested in continuing the hysteria to be similarly bold and call an end to the ridiculousness.

Attachments

Latest Threads