MERS Coronavirus warning

This video is more about the post pandemic economic recovery than current medical news, but there doesn't seem to be a better place to put it.

The title of the video takes a bit of explanation. It comes from a Globe and Mail editorial and this news video uses that editorial as a starting point for discussion.

I'll summarise the video below, but for those interested in the full details it is worth watching if you have the time.

The Globe and Mail are Canada's leading business newspaper and closely aligned with the Conservative Party. They are read by people in big business, finance, and government, and have a very wide circulation nationally. An editorial there will be read by the people in Canada who make the decisions on things that matter. The G&M are paywalled, so I haven't linked the newspaper editorial directly.

The editorial expressed the opinion that post-pandemic economic recovery will be a problem for Canada because Canada has so much trade with the US and they think the US response to COVID-19 has been an absolute shit show and this will hamper them. Economic failure in the US is the "threat to Canada" they are referring to.

Discussion of this topic takes place between the moderator and three people. One is an analyst from the Cato Institute, an American libertarian think tank in Washington, one is a university professor at the University of Toronto, and one is an economist at Export Development Canada, a government agency focused on trade development. The first two guests are ironically each currently stuck on the wrong side of the border as the first was in Canada and the second in the US when the border closed.

Of the three, the economist (Peter Hall) is the one worth listening to the most, as he deals with hard facts and figures rather than just opinion. He lives and breathes this sort of stuff on a daily basis. If you are short of time, I would recommend at least listening to him by skipping through the video to get the parts where he is talking.

A major point of discussion is about how free and open trade is in peril in the post-pandemic world, as countries look to reduce globalisation and bring more of their supply chains within national control. This was a trend which was seen before the pandemic, but has been given greater currency recently as a result of it.

Long story short, according to Hall, unwinding of globalisation is unlikely to happen to a significant degree for a number of reasons that he goes into. He gives detailed explanations of this, not hand-wavy opinions.

Another point of discussion is about diversification of trade. For Canada, this means increasing trade with countries other than our main market, which is the US. To Hall this is a more practical objective, especially as it is something that is already happening anyway and will continue to happen due to long term global economic trends. He presents some very surprising and illuminating facts related to this.

Overall, I recommend watching this video, at least the parts involving Hall. The other two guests are less illuminating and you can skip them without missing too much. The moderator is excellent as always, and asks pertinent questions and puts things in an easy to understand manner.

I don't think so. I get the impression that the two women were both protestors. One said something about the NHS treatment of BAME people not being adequate and at that moment it went unquestioned by the presenter. Some one must have emailed or twittered a comment which the presenter then read out saying that the NHS treatment was good. I have had a look to see if there is a clip but I can't see one.

The way she said it seemed to suggest that it was accepted as fact in some circles but there was no reference to any research and the presenter failed to get them to expand on it.
Thanks, I tried to find it on the re run, but couldn't see it.

He is clearly extremely eminent in neuroscience.

However, I wonder if he is having an "out of speciality/expertise" moment. These are very common in science when renowned scientists get involved outside their area of expertise - Fred Hoyle, Linus Pauling, Einstein, Darwin, Lord Kelvin etc.

The article raises a few red flags.

Invoking Feynman for no apparent reason is merely an appeal to authority. Despite being one of the greatest physicists ever, his two autobiographies contain nothing on any medical subjects.

Suggesting there is some sort of "immunological dark matter" is just a wild stab in the dark at saying "no idea". Cosmologists know that dark matter is very likely to be real because regions of "nothing" exert demonstrable gravity, for which some form of matter is the only viable cause.

I think the differences between Britain and Germany are far more likely to be down to differences in recording and reporting, different health care structures, centralised versus regional health authorities and a host of other reasons. I will leave out deliberate under-reporting as I rather like Germans and Germany.

The notion that the Boxheads are protected by "immunological dark matter" is bullshit as they are no different to their neighbours. Germans are not a different species to French, Belgians or Italians. Nor is the German population any more geographically dispersed than its neighbours (and certainly not France).
He gives an interview on Unherd:

"Now, from the unlikely source of a prominent member of the “Independent SAGE committee”, the group set up by Sir David King to challenge government scientific advice and accused by some of being populated with Left-wing activists, comes a claim that the true portion of people who are not even susceptible to Covid-19 may be as high as 80%. "

It's well worth a listen.

And the Spanish Min of Health getting a lot of stick today from the press and opposition parties on the way they have changed the counting methods.
Min of Health says he doesn't produce the figures, just gets the data from the regions and adds them together. Obvious BS as they said none yesterday but Madrid Min of Health said "'ang on a mo. I reported 5" and the Asturias Min of Health said "So did I" and up comes the Castilla y Leon Min of Health and says "I added 3".

I was quite happy with the way they were producing the figures up until about a fortnight ago and then they changed the method.
I also believed them when they said they reduced the numbers because of duplicate entries and others that weren't confirmed as CV. Now I'm not so sure.

Excess deaths account to something like 14,000 over the official figures but, then again, UK excess deaths are something like 20,000 over the official figures.

I suppose that's what comes of having non medic politicians as Ministers of Health regardless of the advisers.

Why is there no person at the 5pm briefing doing the deaf and dumb sign language, you know, like what the Scottish and Welsh have. I can actually feel the outrage burning up inside of me because of this. Absolutely disgusting.

This has started well.

'A primary school in Bradford was forced to close its doors within hours of reopening after two pupils tested positive for coronavirus.

'St Paul's Church of England Primary School in Wibsey closed on Monday when Covid-19 tests for two siblings came back as positive. The West Yorkshire school has since advised parents of pupils to self-isolate if they or their children came into contact with the siblings.'

Re the numbers of deaths in Spain. I did think it a bit iffy when they said there were zero deaths but it just meant the numbers didn't go up.

Our Min of Health in the Valencia region said there were no deaths yesterday. Not true. There were actually 2 deaths in the Valencia Region but they removed 2 deaths from the total as the cause of death in those was something different.
So saying no deaths was not true as there were two but the numbers stayed the same as they removed 2.

Not quite the same as there being no deaths.

Re the numbers of deaths in Spain. I did think it a bit iffy when they said there were zero deaths but it just meant the numbers didn't go up.

Our Min of Health in the Valencia region said there were no deaths yesterday. Not true. There were actually 2 deaths in the Valencia Region but they removed 2 deaths from the total as the cause of death in those was something different.
So saying no deaths was not true as there were two but the numbers stayed the same as they removed 2.

Not quite the same as there being no deaths.
If they carry on with that type of shenanigans, they'll soon be reporting net minus fatalities. That could be interesting.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Why is there no person at the 5pm briefing doing the deaf and dumb sign language, you know, like what the Scottish and Welsh have. I can actually feel the outrage burning up inside of me because of this. Absolutely disgusting.
:clap::frustrated::hug::pissedoff::threaten:
Hope this helps:slow:

happyuk

War Hero
I think we are being played like fiddles in the most incredible way. This goes way beyond 9/11, 7/7, Manchester, london bridge, all of that hogwash. This is by far the biggest fattest lie of all. Only a little research into Virology and viruses shows what an absolute load of hogshit is being played out. And the masses just do as they're told. I assume some of us have read animal farm and 1984. Well here we fuckin are.

Last edited:
First hand view of Canadians abiding by their lock down rules. Picked up fish and chips last night and decided to eat them at the beach car park because l felt like a change of scenery. The beach is closed, ample signs saying so, and even barricaded, you’d think that’d stop people but nope, rules don’t apply to Toronto folk visiting the area it seems. And yes, she would definitely get it.....

First hand view of Canadians abiding by their lock down rules. Picked up fish and chips last night and decided to eat them at the beach car park because l felt like a change of scenery. The beach is closed, ample signs saying so, and even barricaded, you’d think that’d stop people but nope, rules don’t apply to Toronto folk visiting the area it seems. And yes, she would definitely get it.....
By "it" I assume you mean COVID-19...?

Stuck in the middle of the Royal London today and get this shite from their IT bods.

Screenshot_20200606-174231_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cheers for the support NHS, we love you too.

R0B

War Hero
I wonder if we might see an increase in the number of infections shortly? I thought a meeting of more than six was unlawful. Maybe they've got permission.

093.png

1591478257070.png

Kind of sums it up sadly - the one ray of hope is that Darwin is right and this collection of f*ckwits get thinned out in the second spike.

View attachment 480029
Kind of sums it up sadly - the one ray of hope is that Darwin is right and this collection of f*ckwits get thinned out in the second spike.
Unfortunately quite unlikely. Given the statistics they may catch it, those that do may not even have symptoms or just mild symptoms. What’s more likely is they go back to their families and give any older relatives it which lands up killing them. And then we get another round of “Covid kills more BAME people and the government should do something about it cos it’s obviously down to racist policies”.

Latest Threads