MERS Coronavirus warning

TamH70

MIA
In this game "Plague Inc", can you create chimera viruses by mix-and-matching nucleic materials from different sorts of virii? I've often toyed with the thought of how effective combining Ebola with influenza (to make it more suitable for airborne transmission), and smallpox would be.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reports on Radio 2 saying all inbound flights from China and other affected countries are being screened by health officials. They also add that a 30 something British man has been in contact with some of those suffering with the disease.

Reports on Radio 2 saying all inbound flights from China and other affected countries are being screened by health officials. They also add that a 30 something British man has been in contact with some of those suffering with the disease.
Thats what I mentioned earlier #80

cheers

In this game "Plague Inc", can you create chimera viruses by mix-and-matching nucleic materials from different sorts of virii? I've often toyed with the thought of how effective combining Ebola with influenza (to make it more suitable for airborne transmission), and smallpox would be.
Haven't played it in a while. Couldn't when I did, but looking at the website it looks like they are continually upgrading and you can now. Can now play on phone / tablet, PC and console. Might give it another go.

bedended

War Hero
No shite Sherlock :) ✈ So all lHr, LGW, MAN et al gonna be on alert

Lol

View attachment 445146View attachment 445147
Morning @Raven2008,
This also from today's local 'comic'. India going to start screening but by announcements asking passengers to self declare any illnesses/symptoms. I wonder how many will after forking out for a ticket.

Attachments

Thats how they build bio weapons. Hang a deadly virus on the back of something which is seemingly innocuous, common and easily transmitted..........like hanging ebola on the back of the common cold.

I read up on it once, can't remember if it was this book or another book.

Ah, but they think westerners are dirty, disgusting creatures for blowing their snot onto a piece of cloth, or tissue, carefully folding it, putting it in their pocket and then carrying it around with them.

What got me when I lived there was the asian toilets and how they wiped their arrses with fingers THEN wiped their fingers on a piece of convenient torn up newspaper. Think about that next time you go to the chinky.
And there was I thinking I got extra peanuts in my Satay

And there was I thinking I got extra peanuts in my Satay
To be fair, you did get the extra peanuts, it's just that they have already been through someone else's colon.

To be fair, you did get the extra peanuts, it's just that they have already been through someone else's colon.
Bit like Civet Coffee then...probably gave them a deeper richer flavour. For those not aware of what it is.

By tomorrow the broken woken will have declared this policy racist amongst claims of it only being done to protect UK white privilege.......:grin:

Listening to the radio whilst sniffing painting earlier reports are now of 550 in hospitals and variously 9, or 11 dead. The Dr was not too upbeat about the airport checks either as he said if they catch the visus and then also travel same day they will not get picked up at airports monitoring for infection as the virus has a 5 day incubation period. He also stated that filling an aluminium tube with 200 people for 4, 5 or 6 hours with one infected person on board will not do any good either. When planes arrive at airports people just spill out to join a huge mass of arriving passengers all trying to get through immigration and they may pick up an infected individual, but miss the other 200.

Blogg

LE
"The question to ask ourselves here is, in the case of the ‘brutally pragmatic use of limited cordons sanitaires’ are we facing an inherent quandary of medical ethics or are we giving in to political considerations that benefit wealthier countries and protect affluent populations over those who already live in dire poverty? In the latter case, we would not be facing an inherent quandary of medical ethics, but yet another a socio-political injustice. We, as ethical physicians and nurses, are committed to care tenderly for all our patients."

Ah such an ethical quandry.

Oh wait it's China

"Chinese officials halted travel from Wuhan, essentially locking down the city of 11 million people as they try to stop the spread of a new SARS-like virus that’s already killed 17 and infected hundreds. "

"The question to ask ourselves here is, in the case of the ‘brutally pragmatic use of limited cordons sanitaires’ are we facing an inherent quandary of medical ethics or are we giving in to political considerations that benefit wealthier countries and protect affluent populations over those who already live in dire poverty? In the latter case, we would not be facing an inherent quandary of medical ethics, but yet another a socio-political injustice. We, as ethical physicians and nurses, are committed to care tenderly for all our patients."

Ah such an ethical quandry.

Oh wait it's China

"Chinese officials halted travel from Wuhan, essentially locking down the city of 11 million people as they try to stop the spread of a new SARS-like virus that’s already killed 17 and infected hundreds. "

The news said that they had set up checkpoints on routes in and out and were checking people if they wanted to leave. Same thing I said above: If someone has just caught the virus they will not show up until it has been through its 5 day incubation period............and one wonders how much individual police officers are receiving as donations to the police benevolent fund to allow people to leave.

Listening to the radio whilst sniffing panties earlier reports are now of 550 in hospitals and variously 9, or 11 dead. The Dr was not too upbeat about the airport checks either as he said if they catch the visus and then also travel same day they will not get picked up at airports monitoring for infection as the virus has a 5 day incubation period. He also stated that filling an aluminium tube with 200 people for 4, 5 or 6 hours with one infected person on board will not do any good either. When planes arrive at airports people just spill out to join a huge mass of arriving passengers all trying to get through immigration and they may pick up an infected individual, but miss the other 200.
more like it

The score now: Dead 17; infected 600.

Update from HK

Many more people wearing masks today. Over the border in Shenzhen almost everyone is.

The city of Wuhan has been quarantined from 10am today, no one in or out, In a stroke of genius the PRC government gave notice overnight so lots of people were able to get out in time.

On Weibo, Chinese social media platform, people are openly discussing how to escape, or bragging that they already have, including one family at least flown to Paris.

I understand that trains n planes to HK from PRC are fully booked as people flock to a city with cheap public healthcare and well trained, and resourced staff and facilities.

In stroke of genius #2 the Zuhai-Macau-Hong Kong bridge, which is normally only accessible to buses, taxis and authorised vehicles, is being opened to all, with tolls waived, to celebrate the new year.

The mayor of Wuhan is under pressure to resign for not doing more to act decisively - which smacks of fiddling while Rome burns.

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
Whilst I do enjoy a good panic, 17 of 600 suggests a death rate of 3 percent.

Which would put it in line with generic flu, give or take.

I think the next few days will be quite telling.

Whilst I do enjoy a good panic, 17 of 600 suggests a death rate of 3 percent.

Which would put it in line with generic flu, give or take.

I think the next few days will be quite telling.
Given that over 400m people are expected to travel in China over the next few days even a relatively low transmission rate could result in a serious health crisis

Anyone else think this has the look of one of those pandemic games you can get on your phone..

Latest Threads