MERS Coronavirus warning

mcphee1948

War Hero
Not heard of the Battle of Britain then? You know, the one where we repelled the might of the Luftwaffe, thus preventing invasion as the Germans had no control of the air.
Yes, of course there were important air battles in in 1940, but did that prevent a German invasion.

Couldn't the RAF, if necessary, have just withdrawn fighter aircraft to airfields in the north of the UK, out of Luftwaffe range, and so kept all their planes safe until the Germans tried their invasion. Then a fully intact RAF could have swooped south to attack and sink the slow-moving German invasion barges.

Yes, of course there were important air battles in in 1940, but did that prevent a German invasion.

Couldn't the RAF, if necessary, have just withdrawn fighter aircraft to airfields in the north of the UK, out of Luftwaffe range, and so kept all their planes safe until the Germans tried their invasion. Then a fully intact RAF could have swooped south to attack and sink the slow-moving German invasion barges.
There's entire threads dedicated to this subject where it has been thrashed out in detail multiple times already. I would suggest that you would get a better answer to your Operation Sea Lion questions in one of those threads.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the road atop the braes is full of rubbish - it was the same the last time I walked from here to Stewarton via that road - to the extent that I got a free cup of coffee from McDonalds with the number of stickers I got from their discarded cups. (As I am a nice guy I carried the bloody things to the nearest bin which was at a pub in Lugton and deposited them therein, then washed my hands in the pub toilet before having a very nice meal.) What bothered me more though was the number of crashed cars that had left evidence behind them of some fairly tasty impacts with the roadside scenery - read drystane dykes and very big trees. I gave up counting them after about ten or so.

People really do drive like idiots on that road, and given how long and straight a lot of stretches of it are, they're often going at quite a clip when they do end up face-planting into their windscreens.
As a teenager, I was one of those idiots - both in my dads car and on my motorbike. Braes carpark to Lugton, pint of shandy in the Parrie Lamp, then tank it along the Lochlibo Road back to Barrhead and then back to Paisley.

Where exactly do you think was out of Luftwaffe range?

Quit now. You are displaying the intellectual rigour of LJonesy

SDFA

Old-Salt
As a teenager, I was one of those idiots - both in my dads car and on my motorbike. Braes carpark to Lugton, pint of shandy in the Parrie Lamp, then tank it along the Lochlibo Road back to Barrhead and then back to Paisley.
Now the Lochlibo Rd is absolutely glorious on a 600!

two_of_seven

Old-Salt

That may well have permitted unposed German bombing on our ports, airfields, military camps, industrial facilities and civilian population, not a obvious wise move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcphee1948

War Hero
There's entire threads dedicated to this subject where it has been thrashed out in detail multiple times already. I would suggest that you would get a better answer to your Operation Sea Lion questions in one of those threads.
OK, I accept your rebuke! There are so many pages of ARRSE that most of military history must've been comprehensively covered already. I haven't read them all.

Now the Lochlibo Rd is absolutely glorious on a 600!
I had an old 250 back then. I should have gone back more recently while I was still riding, with my big Beemers, but I was never keen on taking them to Paisley for some reason.

When you say that the UK "repelled" the might of the German war machine, in 1940, is that strictly accurate?

The word "repelled" seems to imply an active "thrusting away" of the German forces. Whereas what actually happened was that the UK forces withdrew across the Channel, and then kind of passively dared the Germans to come over at them.

And the Germans didn't take on the dare, because:

1. They hadn't got the shipping resources - ie no proper landing-craft - or adequate air support, to accomplish a successful cross-Channel invasion; and:

2. The CinC of the German armed forces, ie Hitler, wasn't at all interested in invading us in the West. He wanted to win territory in the East, by invading and conquering the Soviet Union. So from Hitler's perspective, the military operations in the West were a pointless and unnecessary diversion from the real aim of the war. Germany never wanted to invade the UK. All this seems tiresome to repeat.

Whereas today, the illegal immigrants crossing the Channel DO want to "invade", if that term is to be used.

So I don't think a comparison with 1940 is appropriate.

Is this poster for real ?

Archie

OK, I accept your rebuke! There are so many pages of ARRSE that most of military history must've been comprehensively covered already. I haven't read them all.
Go ahead a post a new question on a relevant thread by all means, it's just that this isn't the best thread for WWII history. Many of the people who are likely the most knowledgeable about that subject don't seem to be posting on this thread, so you're wasting your time asking about it here.

Sadurina

Old-Salt
I gather that targeted adds are quite cheap in comparison to other channels but yield better results.
It would be interesting to know who was pushing this conspiracy tripe, particularly re Covid. State actors keen on spread confusion and alarm amongst 'rival states'? Or have I also been caught in the conspiracy Hall of Mirrors?

mcphee1948

War Hero
That may well have permitted unposed German bombing on our ports, airfields, military camps, industrial facilities and civilian population, not a obvious wise move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're right. In the sense that it might've looked bad from a morale/ propaganda viewpoint. But surely the Luftwaffe didn't have enough bombers to inflict real strategic damage on the UK during those few months in 1940.

Anyway, as terminal has rightly pointed out, this has all been gone over many times already. So I won't bore you all any more on the subject. Thanks!

@terminal

It seems like the story of German protective masks being hijacked is not adding up. If the Germans fibbed on this one it might come back to haunt them considering the news source this story is on.

When you say that the UK "repelled" the might of the German war machine, in 1940, is that strictly accurate?

The word "repelled" seems to imply an active "thrusting away" of the German forces. Whereas what actually happened was that the UK forces withdrew across the Channel, and then kind of passively dared the Germans to come over at them.

And the Germans didn't take on the dare, because:

1. They hadn't got the shipping resources - ie no proper landing-craft - or adequate air support, to accomplish a successful cross-Channel invasion; and:

2. The CinC of the German armed forces, ie Hitler, wasn't at all interested in invading us in the West. He wanted to win territory in the East, by invading and conquering the Soviet Union. So from Hitler's perspective, the military operations in the West were a pointless and unnecessary diversion from the real aim of the war. Germany never wanted to invade the UK. All this seems tiresome to repeat.

Whereas today, the illegal immigrants crossing the Channel DO want to "invade", if that term is to be used.

So I don't think a comparison with 1940 is appropriate.
You need to brush up on your history.

1. They had both. Not OVERLORD standard but they would have been adequate had the boxheads won battle of Britain air war. Luckily Hitler kept coming up with 'battle-winning' modifications to the plan.

2. Er, so the Germans did all that preparation for...

The Germans hoped that with the fall of France, and most of Europe, that they could come to terms with Britain. When that looked unlikely they prepared to force terms.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

If you can be bothered you will find that the Germans bombed areas of Scotland early on in the war. One of the threads devoted to this aspect would most likely suit you better unless you are determined to use this thread as your crayoning board.

Er, no.

By pulling the fighters north the radar stations would be unprotected and the fighters would have to travel further, meaning less time f*cking up Luftwaffe planes.

This means when the barges come the fight is a little more even.

And should they land...