MERS Coronavirus warning

As a smoker for over 50 years, the reports that the CV-19 virus can attack lungs, obviously worried me.

But then I had the idea - if the virus likes to infest lungs, then wouldn't the best lungs for it, be the pristine, luscious, healthy, pink, lungs possessed by a non-smoker? Such lungs would seem to offer a hugely fertile field for the virus to gleefully enter and exploit.

Whereas, the old, scarred, blackened, withered lungs of a long-time smoker might be less attractive to the virus.
So it would sneer in contempt, and go away to look for the more accommodating lungs found in non-smokers.

This idea has been of some comfort, when I light up. Is it misguided?
No, it's not misguided, it's absolutely spot on. This is why you should hold a baby in front of your face when you go to Farm Foods, as all the viruses in the atmosphere will steer towards the baby's lungs leaving your old, blackened, tarred-up windpipes alone.

80 years ago we the United Kingdom repelled the might of the German war machine, stopped at the English Channel.

Now we cannot stop illegal immigrants in small rubber boats for entering the country 160 in the past week.

How in hell's name can we expect to stop a deadly virus entering the county.

This country needs to seriously get its act together

I would also say that the Intelligence Services, who`s remit is external threats to the United Kingdom have missed this one completely.

Archewell - formerly know as Archie

Last edited:
80 years ago we the United Kingdom repelled the might of the German war machine, stopped at the English Channel.

Now we cannot stop illegal immigrants in small rubber boats for entering the country 160 in the past week.

You're right. We must reform the Home Guard immediately.

No the proper soldiers armed with the trusty Self Loading Rifle

Meh...I don't remember reading anything about soldiers armed with rusty Self Loading Rifles keeping the might of the German war machine stopped at the English Channel. It was geriatrics armed with pitchforks and shotguns that did it.

As a smoker for over 50 years, the reports that the CV-19 virus can attack lungs, obviously worried me.

But then I had the idea - if the virus likes to infest lungs, then wouldn't the best lungs for it, be the pristine, luscious, healthy, pink, lungs possessed by a non-smoker? Such lungs would seem to offer a hugely fertile field for the virus to gleefully enter and exploit.

Whereas, the old, scarred, blackened, withered lungs of a long-time smoker might be less attractive to the virus.
So it would sneer in contempt, and go away to look for the more accommodating lungs found in non-smokers.

This idea has been of some comfort, when I light up. Is it misguided?

No mate, you crack on......

mcphee1948

War Hero
No, it's not misguided, it's absolutely spot on. This is why you should hold a baby in front of your face when you go to Farm Foods, as all the viruses in the atmosphere will steer towards the baby's lungs leaving your old, blackened, tarred-up windpipes alone.
No mate, you crack on......
Thanks, I will just carry on smoking for now then. LastWalt's recommendation of baby-shield tactics is perhaps a bit premature.

Agreed (not with the dig at cyclist, though, 'cos I do that too). I have changed my morning run route to one that is as boring as they come, but which, due to it being so boring, has virtually no dog walkers. I was getting fed up with all the dirty looks and exaggerated moving into the bushes as I ran past on my favoured route. The path is 6 feet wide in most places, so it wasn't as if I was rubbing against them and their furry plague carriers.

I did a 30km cycle this morning departing at 6:30, and didn't pass a single person or vehicle until I was 200m from home when some prick in a car squeezed past me and immediately made a left turn causing me to brake hard. Just my luck - not a living soul for 5 miles around apart from this ******** and he finds me.
I'll fcuking get ye next time.

TamH70

MIA

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are you saying the breathless newsreels of massive social progress in the Peoples Paradise of China our communist adoring bearded General Studies teachers played to us in the late 60's/Early 70's were porkies? ^~
Could be, could be.....

Wild Swans - Wikipedia

Great Leap Forward - Wikipedia

Mao decreed increased efforts to multiply grain yields and bring industry to the countryside. Local officials were fearful of Anti-Rightist Campaigns and competed to fulfill or over-fulfill quotas based on Mao's exaggerated claims, collecting "surpluses" that in fact did not exist and leaving farmers to starve. Higher officials did not dare to report the economic disaster caused by these policies, and national officials, blaming bad weather for the decline in food output, took little or no action. The Great Leap resulted in tens of millions of deaths,[1] with estimates ranging between 18 million and 45 million deaths.[2] About the same number of births were lost or postponed, making the Great Chinese Famine the largest in human history.[3]

Could be, could be.....

Wild Swans - Wikipedia

Great Leap Forward - Wikipedia

Mao decreed increased efforts to multiply grain yields and bring industry to the countryside. Local officials were fearful of Anti-Rightist Campaigns and competed to fulfill or over-fulfill quotas based on Mao's exaggerated claims, collecting "surpluses" that in fact did not exist and leaving farmers to starve. Higher officials did not dare to report the economic disaster caused by these policies, and national officials, blaming bad weather for the decline in food output, took little or no action. The Great Leap resulted in tens of millions of deaths,[1] with estimates ranging between 18 million and 45 million deaths.[2] About the same number of births were lost or postponed, making the Great Chinese Famine the largest in human history.[3]

Wasn't Mao Zedong a bit of a sex pest too?

As well as being a premium member of the Emperor's 'good ideas gang'.

SDFA

Old-Salt
Just back recently from my shopping trip thingy - Aldi's again - it's handy, easier to get round in than Tesco's and the walk back up the hill gets the blood pumping. No queuing outside this time, which was nice. Still far too much traffic on the roads, and plenty of groups of more than two people walking about the place, though at least one of those was a family mit kid on push-bike. No police on foot enforcing social distancing, though I did see an unmarked German hatchback cop car bang on its blues and twos and chase someone in the general direction of Foxbar/Glenburn.

I noticed again on arrival back home that behind the "don't dump here" sign I referred to earlier there was lots of bulk rubbish, including what looked like an old microwave that was dumped into the box the new one came in by whoever got rid.

This will not end well. At least one of the caretakers is a bit of a nippy person and I can pretty much guarantee that her face will be tripping her (as they say up here) tomorrow morning when she clocks just how well people are obeying the Neue Ordnung. What pisses in my chips is that I'm this block's tenant association chairman, and those folks in the building who know of this will start dragging me into the argument, and I just don't know what to say to them.
I take it you havent seen up the top of the braes? Its like a reconstruction of the road to Basra in 91, especially the back road from Lapwing to Johnstone.

Bin collections are still going on as normal, even some extra trips being put in, hats off to the binmen.

As most will be aware, Im in the middle of moving, which is now on hold due to the majority of non essential Gov departments being shut down. One department that isnt shut are the Road Safety Partnership, NI Branch.
I got pinged on my way to the airport on the 20th at that well renowned accident blackspot, the straight road to the airport with no turn offs from Templepatrick! I have been given the option of a SAC and will decide later whether the extra money is worth it. As an aside they cant run any SAC due to CV, so have moved it online to some AA thing.

mcphee1948

War Hero

How in hell's name can we expect to stop a deadly virus entering the county.

This country needs to seriously get its act together

I would also say that the Intelligence Services, who`s remit is external threats to the United Kingdom have missed this one completely.

When you say that the UK "repelled" the might of the German war machine, in 1940, is that strictly accurate?

The word "repelled" seems to imply an active "thrusting away" of the German forces. Whereas what actually happened was that the UK forces withdrew across the Channel, and then kind of passively dared the Germans to come over at them.

And the Germans didn't take on the dare, because:

1. They hadn't got the shipping resources - ie no proper landing-craft - or adequate air support, to accomplish a successful cross-Channel invasion; and:

2. The CinC of the German armed forces, ie Hitler, wasn't at all interested in invading us in the West. He wanted to win territory in the East, by invading and conquering the Soviet Union. So from Hitler's perspective, the military operations in the West were a pointless and unnecessary diversion from the real aim of the war. Germany never wanted to invade the UK. All this seems tiresome to repeat.

Whereas today, the illegal immigrants crossing the Channel DO want to "invade", if that term is to be used.

So I don't think a comparison with 1940 is appropriate.

TamH70

MIA
I take it you havent seen up the top of the braes? Its like a reconstruction of the road to Basra in 91, especially the back road from Lapwing to Johnstone.

Bin collections are still going on as normal, even some extra trips being put in, hats off to the binmen.

As most will be aware, Im in the middle of moving, which is now on hold due to the majority of non essential Gov departments being shut down. One department that isnt shut are the Road Safety Partnership, NI Branch.
I got pinged on my way to the airport on the 20th at that well renowned accident blackspot, the straight road to the airport with no turn offs from Templepatrick! I have been given the option of a SAC and will decide later whether the extra money is worth it. As an aside they cant run any SAC due to CV, so have moved it online to some AA thing.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the road atop the braes is full of rubbish - it was the same the last time I walked from here to Stewarton via that road - to the extent that I got a free cup of coffee from McDonalds with the number of stickers I got from their discarded cups. (As I am a nice guy I carried the bloody things to the nearest bin which was at a pub in Lugton and deposited them therein, then washed my hands in the pub toilet before having a very nice meal.) What bothered me more though was the number of crashed cars that had left evidence behind them of some fairly tasty impacts with the roadside scenery - read drystane dykes and very big trees. I gave up counting them after about ten or so.

People really do drive like idiots on that road, and given how long and straight a lot of stretches of it are, they're often going at quite a clip when they do end up face-planting into their windscreens.

When you say that the UK "repelled" the might of the German war machine, in 1940, is that strictly accurate?

The word "repelled" seems to imply an active "thrusting away" of the German forces. Whereas what actually happened was that the UK forces withdrew across the Channel, and then kind of passively dared the Germans to come over at them.

And the Germans didn't take on the dare, because:

1. They hadn't got the shipping resources - ie no proper landing-craft - or adequate air support, to accomplish a successful cross-Channel invasion; and:

2. The CinC of the German armed forces, ie Hitler, wasn't at all interested in invading us in the West. He wanted to win territory in the East, by invading and conquering the Soviet Union. So from Hitler's perspective, the military operations in the West were a pointless and unnecessary diversion from the real aim of the war. Germany never wanted to invade the UK. All this seems tiresome to repeat.

Whereas today, the illegal immigrants crossing the Channel DO want to "invade", if that term is to be used.

So I don't think a comparison with 1940 is appropriate.
Not heard of the Battle of Britain then? You know, the one where we repelled the might of the Luftwaffe, thus preventing invasion as the Germans had no control of the air.

Last edited:

SDFA

Old-Salt
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the road atop the braes is full of rubbish - it was the same the last time I walked from here to Stewarton via that road - to the extent that I got a free cup of coffee from McDonalds with the number of stickers I got from their discarded cups. (As I am a nice guy I carried the bloody things to the nearest bin which was at a pub in Lugton and deposited them therein, then washed my hands in the pub toilet before having a very nice meal.) What bothered me more though was the number of crashed cars that had left evidence behind them of some fairly tasty impacts with the roadside scenery - read drystane dykes and very big trees. I gave up counting them after about ten or so.

People really do drive like idiots on that road, and given how long and straight a lot of stretches of it are, they're often going at quite a clip when they do end up face-planting into their windscreens.
Aye, drive down it regular to Irvine, saves going through Nitshill (if ever a place was aptly named!)
Took a 7.5t down 2 weeks ago on the flit, I hate the crossroads where the house juts out into the road. I'm surprised nobody has taken it out yet, and the wall opposite!

My house looks up onto the car park in the sky and before bed I have a look and see if anyone is up there. I've only seen 1 car the past 2 weeks, probably the feds. Wonder where the doggers are going now?

TamH70

MIA
Aye, drive down it regular to Irvine, saves going through Nitshill (if ever a place was aptly named!)
Took a 7.5t down 2 weeks ago on the flit, I hate the crossroads where the house juts out into the road. I'm surprised nobody has taken it out yet, and the wall opposite!

My house looks up onto the car park in the sky and before bed I have a look and see if anyone is up there. I've only seen 1 car the past 2 weeks, probably the feds. Wonder where the doggers are going now?
Probably into the woods near the Lapwing Lodge. Some of the plots have nice driveable-into gaps (if you've got an SUV), and from there it's a skoosh hiding up. Agreed about that house - it nearly caught me out once when I was younger, fitter and on my push-bike as I was screaming along at about forty mph and it sort of snuck up on me.

Latest Threads