MERS Coronavirus warning

A friends mother who has lived in Spain for many years has told him that they are thinking of starting to lift their lockdown on the 24th April.

Although with their first increase in deaths in four days, I'd say it's unlikely.

E2a, just read the deaths in France over the last 24 hours according to Worldometer, over 1,400.
The original idea was to lift some restrictions in Spain after Easter, like allowing some of the non-essential shops to open for limited hours.
As you say, probably won't happen now even though the increase in deaths and cases has been lower than a few days ago.
Main thing is, only certain areas are being hit so hard. Madrid, Catalonia, Basque Country and La Mancha. Some 3/4 of all reports come from those regions. Valencia Region new cases rose by just over 150 compared with some 10,000 just 5 days ago for example.

And, yes, France particularly bad along with the USA which are screaming up. But The Netherlands and Belgium also hit badly with some 12% and 24% increase in deaths respectively.

The original idea was to lift some restrictions in Spain after Easter, like allowing some of the non-essential shops to open for limited hours.
As you say, probably won't happen now even though the increase in deaths and cases has been lower than a few days ago.
Main thing is, only certain areas are being hit so hard. Madrid, Catalonia, Basque Country and La Mancha. Some 3/4 of all reports come from those regions. Valencia Region new cases rose by just over 150 compared with some 10,000 just 5 days ago for example.

And, yes, France particularly bad along with the USA which are screaming up. But The Netherlands and Belgium also hit badly with some 12% and 24% increase in deaths respectively.
I read one analysis of the COVID-19 crisis which said that viewing the numbers strictly on a country-wide basis can be misleading. In reality what we have are a series of localised infections. Problems could be receding in one part of a country while increasing in another.

On another note, the majority of provinces in Canada have set up road blocks on boundaries between provinces, and even between different regions of the same province, and quizzing travellers as to what the purpose of their journey is. If it's not deemed "essential travel", they're turned back. In some provinces all arrivals from other provinces, not just from other countries, must go through 14 days isolation (truck drivers and similar workers, excepted). This sort of thing is probably easier to arrange in Canada than in a lot of other countries as the country is so large and spread out that there are only a few roads connecting many parts of the country to the rest.

I live in NL at the moment and work in Noord Brabant (but I don't live there, so I commute by train). The company has 38 employees of various sorts and amongst them we have, so far, three dead family-members and two employees diagnosed with Covid and 'recovering' (insert optimism here) at home. There are additionally an indeterminate number of employees family-members also diagnosed or suspected and self-isolating. It will be a memorable year, or two, or five.

I live in NL at the moment and work in Noord Brabant (but I don't live there, so I commute by train). The company has 38 employees of various sorts and amongst them we have, so far, three dead family-members and two employees diagnosed with Covid and 'recovering' (insert optimism here) at home. There are additionally an indeterminate number of employees family-members also diagnosed or suspected and self-isolating. It will be a memorable year, or two, or five.
Memorable without a doubt.
All of our lives changed earlier this year.

Laugh, but it's happening in real life with historical fencing* clubs offering their lessons on line while their normal training facilities are shut down.

* Historical fencing is based on original fencing manuals, equipment, and rules dating from the medieval to Victorian period. It is oriented towards martial realism and so is very different from Olympic-style sport fencing.
I couldn't help yawning while reading that. But unfortunately there is no yawn button to press, so I'm saying nothing....

Germany's similar. There are far more cases than are being reported. The fabled mass-testing must be somewhere else at a secret location, because it is not in this neck of the woods. There is absolutely no way the fatality figures are accurate. They are a massive underestimate based on all but the most severe cases not being admitted to hospital and if you don't die in hospital, with CV19 as the primary cause, your death not being added to the numbers.

Yesterday Angela Merkel publicly questioned why people were complaining about the hardship as, "It's hard for me too."

Several people have asked about joggers/runners potentially spreading COVID-19, and the CBC have answered that question in the following article.
Can mosquitoes spread the coronavirus? Your COVID-19 questions answered

In short, the risk of being exposed to the virus from a passing runner is very low provided both sides observe the two metre separation rule. The virus is much more difficult to transmit outdoors than indoors. The constant air circulation outdoors disperses respiratory droplets faster than would be the case indoors. Significant exposure would require being within less than 2 metres for several minutes. So there should be little reason for concern about exposure from someone running outdoors, provided the separation distance is respected.

Q: I walk my dog where there are a ton of joggers who run past me at an unsafe distance, huffing and puffing. I wear a mask. Should I be concerned about danger from their breath?

A: We continue to receive a lot of questions about masks and exercise, including this email from Judy L.

First of all, Judy's decision to wear a mask outside is a good idea. Canada's top doctor, Dr. Theresa Tam now says non-medical masks can help stop the spread of COVID-19.

But does she need to be concerned? Probably not, according to Dr. Matthew Oughton, director of the Royal College Training Program in infectious diseases. He says the risk of being exposed to the virus by a passing jogger is "very low."

"Generally speaking, this virus, as with many respiratory infections, is much more difficult to transmit outdoors than indoors," he says. Oughton explains that constant air movement outside contributes to a faster dispersion of the respiratory droplets and particles exerted from a passing jogger or anyone else.

"A significant exposure is usually considered to be within six feet [or two metres] for several minutes," he says. Assuming that the jogger respects physical distancing, he says "I would not be concerned that this would pose a high risk of transmitting COVID-19 or other respiratory infections."

The important thing is to practise physical distancing, by keeping two metres apart from others, as recommended by Health Canada.
And for the sake of those wondering about the question posed in the headline, no there's no reason to believe that mosquitoes can transmit COVID-19 or any other corona virus.

The lock down in Wuhan has been lifted after 11 weeks.
Lockdown of Chinese city where pandemic began lifted after 11 weeks
The story quotes one resident who hadn't been outside for more than 70 days. His apartment building was in isolation when some residents developed COVID-19. Residents of the building were not allowed out even to buy groceries.
"I haven't been outside for more than 70 days," said an emotional Tong Zhengkun, who was watching the display from a bridge. Residents in his apartment complex had contracted COVID-19, so the entire building was shut down. He couldn't go out even to buy groceries, which neighbourhood workers brought to his door.

"Being indoors for so long drove me crazy," he said.
Residents who want to leave the city provided they have a mandatory smart phone app that tracks where they've been, and also provided that they are healthy and confirmed to not have been in contact with anyone who has the virus.
As of just after midnight Wednesday, the city's 11 million residents were permitted to leave without special authorization as long as a mandatory smartphone application powered by a mix of data-tracking and government surveillance shows they are healthy and have not been in recent contact with anyone confirmed to have the virus.
The end of the lock down doesn't mean the end of health related restrictions. Measures remain in place and the danger of a resurgence is not considered to be over.
Prevention measures, such as wearing masks, temperature checks and limiting access to residential communities, will remain in place in Wuhan, which is the capital of Hubei.

Germany's similar. There are far more cases than are being reported. The fabled mass-testing must be somewhere else at a secret location, because it is not in this neck of the woods. There is absolutely no way the fatality figures are accurate. They are a massive underestimate based on all but the most severe cases not being admitted to hospital and if you don't die in hospital, with CV19 as the primary cause, your death not being added to the numbers.

Yesterday Angela Merkel publicly questioned why people were complaining about the hardship as, "It's hard for me too."
the Germans have form for this... after all
6 million Jews weren’t killed by the Germans, they were subjected to ‘Special Processing’.

There seems to be confusion about the new regulations, laws and police powers, the most important for daily life is this below, rather than the Corona virus act 2020, but most people think staying at home is just advisory and the Dibble can't tell you what to do, er they can.

I read one analysis of the COVID-19 crisis which said that viewing the numbers strictly on a country-wide basis can be misleading. In reality what we have are a series of localised infections. Problems could be receding in one part of a country while increasing in another.

On another note, the majority of provinces in Canada have set up road blocks on boundaries between provinces, and even between different regions of the same province, and quizzing travellers as to what the purpose of their journey is. If it's not deemed "essential travel", they're turned back. In some provinces all arrivals from other provinces, not just from other countries, must go through 14 days isolation (truck drivers and similar workers, excepted). This sort of thing is probably easier to arrange in Canada than in a lot of other countries as the country is so large and spread out that there are only a few roads connecting many parts of the country to the rest.
Same down under where each state are being isolated from each other I am attempt to reduce the spread.

cheers

I listened to the first few minutes of the following but had to stop, as I just can't take this much stupid in one day and will have to try again tomorrow. This is an LBC show on COVID-19 conspiracy theories. The radio presenter has far more patience with idiots than I could imagine having.
  • Nick Ferrari: Are you concerned about 5G spreading the corona virus?
  • First caller: I'm very concerned.
  • Nick: Don't you think it's a bit far fetched?
  • Caller: No, I thought that Brexit was far fetched and it happened, so corona virus being spread by 5G is very reasonable by comparison.
  • Nick: What makes you think there's any connection between corona virus and 5G?
  • Caller: Well they both come from China don't they? 5G is from China and corona virus is from China, and we've been told for a couple of years now that China is a threat, so it all makes sense, doesn't it? It all fits together.
  • The caller then goes into a rant about Brexit.
I this point I had to stop listening, because my brain hurt too much listening to it. I'll try to listen to the rest tomorrow after I've had a rest.

I think this is very true. Hubei and Wuhan are in the lead but the remainder of China is far closer and possible even behind in some cases other population centres/regions (due to the nature of the restrictions that they have imposed across the whole of China).