MERS Coronavirus warning

Mail initially got it wrong. Death toll 786 not 874 as they said a while back. Still not good

Mail initially got it wrong. Death toll 786 not 874 as they said a while back. Still not good
Tragic.
I posted earlier on this thread about grassing up one of the neighbours for having friends round on Sunday for a barbecue.
Speaking to the school teacher who lives opposite, it turns out the lady of the house works at the local city's hospital. FFS.

Amazing, isn't it?

Map shows excellent correlation between outbreak of viral infection and population density/urban areas. Who would have ever guessed?

Wholly excluding N.I of course.
I for one would never have guessed that millions of people live in places where millions of people live. The depth of insight which Photex offers us never ceases to amaze me.

Laugh, but it's happening in real life with historical fencing* clubs offering their lessons on line while their normal training facilities are shut down.

* Historical fencing is based on original fencing manuals, equipment, and rules dating from the medieval to Victorian period. It is oriented towards martial realism and so is very different from Olympic-style sport fencing.

Just as an aside I think the use of "exit strategy" that seems to have arisen carries misleading connitations. At best we are transitioning to a new (hopefully temporary) normal.
From what I've read, we will likely be dealing with some sort of COVID-19 related social restrictions for at least the next couple of years. These will affect office layouts, restaurants, pubs, concerts, public sporting events, vacation resorts and cruise ships, and international travel. Things are not expected to go back to "normal" at the end of the current isolation period.

Just what these restrictions will look like will depend on both what the situation looks like at that time, as well as what else we have learned about the virus between now and then. Governments will have to make decisions at that time based on the most up to date information and then probably update them continuously based on incoming new data.

Anybody who thinks we can decide all of that now in advance has a very unrealistic view of just how serious the current situation is considered to be by the relevant medical and scientific experts.

About the only thing that can change this is the rapid development, testing, approval, and wide scale roll-out of a new vaccine, which nobody seriously thinks we are going to have soon.

Ok which of you lot have lost their tinfoil hats and been on a arson spree? :)

snip "Mobile phone mast fires are being investigated amid conspiracy theories claiming a link between 5G and coronavirus.
There have been fires at masts in Birmingham, Liverpool and Melling in Merseyside.
A video, allegedly of the blaze in Aigburth, was shared on YouTube and Facebook, claiming a link between the mobile technology and Covid-19."
The press have reported that these anti-5G nutters are attacking anyone who have anything to do with telecoms, including Internet technicians trying to increase capacity so people can work from home. Some examples need to be made of them to discourage the others.

TamH70

MIA
The press have reported that these anti-5G nutters are attacking anyone who have anything to do with telecoms, including Internet technicians trying to increase capacity so people can work from home. Some examples need to be made of them to discourage the others.
Are there not handy nearby lamp posts? As well as readily accessible high-strength wire? And cherry pickers? And fuzz that are already enforcing social distancing measures?

If you are really going to do things pour encourager les autres, it's best to stick with historical propriety - just updated slightly for the new digital age.

Laugh, but it's happening in real life with historical fencing* clubs offering their lessons on line while their normal training facilities are shut down.

* Historical fencing is based on original fencing manuals, equipment, and rules dating from the medieval to Victorian period. It is oriented towards martial realism and so is very different from Olympic-style sport fencing.
One of the grandsons is having his drumming lessons online.

I get the feeling "outdated" ways of doing things are beginning to stir. Autoclaves and small, diffuse hospital/healthcare sites don't seem to be the outrages to accountancy they once were.
Canada is seriously looking at recycling N95 masks by sterilising them in autoclaves due to the critical shortages (and the US cutting off supplies). The research has already shown that it works. The questions now are how to scale that up, including sorting to remove worn or damaged ones, repackaging them suitably, etc. That I believe is already being worked on.

I used to operate an autoclave at a hospital many years ago. There's big and small ones, used for different purposes, often sitting side by side. How stuff is packaged to be autoclaved and how the packages go into racks to enter the autoclave all has to be carefully figured out and standardised to ensure the steam reaches every part of the load in order to reach the required temperature for the required period of time. The cycle is automated and the temperatures and times are recorded on charts which are filed for later review if necessary. You don't just pack the stuff in at random and hope for the best. All that has to be figured out and proven to work before it can be rolled out on a wide scale.

Once the scale up procedures are figured out however, it will make a huge difference as N95 masks are in critically short supply while waiting for production to be ramped up at new and existing suppliers. Canadian health authorities have already told hospitals to save their masks for re-use once the process is perfected.

As if to make things even more fun during the outbreak, my local council has decided in its infinite wisdom to close all recycling depots, as well as the bulk storage bin rooms in high flats like mine.

I had to giggle when on returning from my shopping trip yesterday I noticed that behind the "Caution Wet Floor" standing sign where they'd put a notice up saying that the bin room was shut, there was a pile of big black bags reaching halfway up the door.

What do they expect people to do? Cram stuff into recycling bins that are already chock-a-block? Harass the caretakers or get into arguments with them over such a stupid policy, or sit in houses that will overflow with stuff previously dealt with rather efficiently by the council that they have now refused to touch?

Or will fly-tipping increase exponentially?

What happens if your fridge goes on the fritz, your telly goes tits-up, your washing machine goes awooga? You can't get rid of them in any way that's legal so what the hell are you supposed to do?

faced with the same problem, the locals round here have started buring the building up rubbish courtesy of un emptied bins.

The councils cunning plan?
extra bin collections?
nope....
they are looking to pass a bye-law banning bonfires.

Canada is seriously looking at recycling N95 masks by sterilising them in autoclaves due to the critical shortages (and the US cutting off supplies). The research has already shown that it works. The questions now are how to scale that up, including sorting to remove worn or damaged ones, repackaging them suitably, etc. That I believe is already being worked on.

I used to operate an autoclave at a hospital many years ago. There's big and small ones, used for different purposes, often sitting side by side. How stuff is packaged to be autoclaved and how the packages go into racks to enter the autoclave all has to be carefully figured out and standardised to ensure the steam reaches every part of the load in order to reach the required temperature for the required period of time. The cycle is automated and the temperatures and times are recorded on charts which are filed for later review if necessary. You don't just pack the stuff in at random and hope for the best. All that has to be figured out and proven to work before it can be rolled out on a wide scale.

Once the scale up procedures are figured out however, it will make a huge difference as N95 masks are in critically short supply while waiting for production to be ramped up at new and existing suppliers. Canadian health authorities have already told hospitals to save their masks for re-use once the process is perfected.
We had to get rid of autoclaves at the practice I worked at and were only allowed to use sterile pack one-use equipment. Doctors always complaining things like speculum were always breaking. And, yes, the autoclave came with detailed instructions on what could be put on what shelf and a diagram with the exact placement detail for each item.
Mind you, one long in the tooth receptionist who'd probably been at the drafting of the Hippocratic oath used to say she had to boil all the instruments at the end of the day. Probably not work for masks.

A friends mother who has lived in Spain for many years has told him that they are thinking of starting to lift their lockdown on the 24th April.

Although with their first increase in deaths in four days, I'd say it's unlikely.

E2a, just read the deaths in France over the last 24 hours according to Worldometer, over 1,400.

Last edited:

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
I'll bet there will be some package cruise vacations going very cheaply later this year that you might consider. That is if you like the thrill of danger without having to do anything too strenuous.
Nothing would get me on cruise liner again at any price. We went to the Western Med last year. The coughing, sputtering, and sneezing was horrendous. It was rumoured there was norovirus aboard. You had to play dodgems with the billy-carts, and the price of alcohol was outrageous. Never again.

Nothing would get me on cruise liner again at any price. We went to the Western Med last year. The coughing, sputtering, and sneezing was horrendous. It was rumoured there was norovirus aboard. You had to play dodgems with the billy-carts, and the price of alcohol was outrageous. Never again.
wife’s always been on at me to go on a cruise, point blank Refusal.
as anyone who’s been to sea knows, the first two weeks away from the wall, everyone gets the lurgie/squits/sniffles from each other, then alls well. As soon as you go on leave, a repeat performance.

TamH70

MIA
Just back recently from my shopping trip thingy - Aldi's again - it's handy, easier to get round in than Tesco's and the walk back up the hill gets the blood pumping. No queuing outside this time, which was nice. Still far too much traffic on the roads, and plenty of groups of more than two people walking about the place, though at least one of those was a family mit kid on push-bike. No police on foot enforcing social distancing, though I did see an unmarked German hatchback cop car bang on its blues and twos and chase someone in the general direction of Foxbar/Glenburn.

I noticed again on arrival back home that behind the "don't dump here" sign I referred to earlier there was lots of bulk rubbish, including what looked like an old microwave that was dumped into the box the new one came in by whoever got rid.

This will not end well. At least one of the caretakers is a bit of a nippy person and I can pretty much guarantee that her face will be tripping her (as they say up here) tomorrow morning when she clocks just how well people are obeying the Neue Ordnung. What pisses in my chips is that I'm this block's tenant association chairman, and those folks in the building who know of this will start dragging me into the argument, and I just don't know what to say to them.