MERS Coronavirus warning

<Snip>

The pattern seems to be that a bat virus gets transmitted to a domestic animal, and then from that domestic animal to humans. We don't know how the jump was made was made in the case of COVID-19, but some sort of intermediary animal is likely.
One theory doing the rounds is that the intermediary could have been a pangolin.

Pangolins carry strains related to new coronavirus

Did pangolins spread the China coronavirus to people?

Pangolins may have spread coronavirus to humans | Coronavirus outbreak | The Guardian

And, unfortunately, as if to prove the press saying a glimmer of hope the death toll in UK today rises by 854.
A record we don't want to continue and much sadness.
RIP and condolences to all those affected.

Wor Lass is an ultra marathoner and runs lots (and I mean a lot; an 80 mile week would be fairly normal for her; she's also done a 185 mile non-stop ultra).

Anyway, we live in a rural area and she knows all the country lanes and paths very well and she keeps to them as she can go out for a ten miler and not meet anyone other than the odd cyclist (all cyclists are odd, btw).

But she says she was running down a country road yesterday and there was a lone woman walking towards her, so she moved over to the right so that she'd pass with two meters easily, and as she approached the woman looked frightened and pulled her jumper over her mouth.

My thoughts are that this virus isn't the only thing that's plaguing society; fear and paranoia are up there too.
Its not paranoia to my mind its common sense, if you are breathing hard and sweating you are giving off body fluids in the form if aerosols from your respiratory system and skin, both are carriers of viruses. If you went out for a run wearing a mask it would be soaking wet when you had finished, all that vapour is what you breathed out on your run , normal working with a FFP 2 or 3 mask doesn't make it wet, I used them all the time .

What the increase in risk is I have no idea but when someone runs past you huffing and puffing all over you its obviously not good.

This may not be the thread, there may be a more suitable thread if so mods feel free.

Due to the natural concern generated during the present pandemic it has been difficult to find good solid medical advice coupled with straight talking and interesting/informed advice on the evolving situation.

Can thoroughly recommend this gentleman briefings. Here is yesterdays,

And a sort of catchup and overall brief on the very basics, today, possibly for those now joining.

This can be quickly skipped but a recap on his last few briefings are very interesting even if morbidly so.

Here is a practical briefing on care of family patients at home given today.

Last edited:
Ok which of you lot have lost their tinfoil hats and been on a arson spree? :)

snip "Mobile phone mast fires are being investigated amid conspiracy theories claiming a link between 5G and coronavirus.
There have been fires at masts in Birmingham, Liverpool and Melling in Merseyside.
A video, allegedly of the blaze in Aigburth, was shared on YouTube and Facebook, claiming a link between the mobile technology and Covid-19."

Its not paranoia to my mind its common sense, if you are breathing hard and sweating you are giving off body fluids in the form if aerosols from your respiratory system and skin, both are carriers of viruses. If you went out for a run wearing a mask it would be soaking wet when you had finished, all that vapour is what you breathed out on your run , normal working with a FFP 2 or 3 mask doesn't make it wet, I used them all the time .

What the increase in risk is I have no idea but when someone runs past you huffing and puffing all over you its obviously not good.
Isn't the lung's area the size of a tennis court of spread out?

TamH70

MIA
As if to make things even more fun during the outbreak, my local council has decided in its infinite wisdom to close all recycling depots, as well as the bulk storage bin rooms in high flats like mine.

I had to giggle when on returning from my shopping trip yesterday I noticed that behind the "Caution Wet Floor" standing sign where they'd put a notice up saying that the bin room was shut, there was a pile of big black bags reaching halfway up the door.

What do they expect people to do? Cram stuff into recycling bins that are already chock-a-block? Harass the caretakers or get into arguments with them over such a stupid policy, or sit in houses that will overflow with stuff previously dealt with rather efficiently by the council that they have now refused to touch?

Or will fly-tipping increase exponentially?

What happens if your fridge goes on the fritz, your telly goes tits-up, your washing machine goes awooga? You can't get rid of them in any way that's legal so what the hell are you supposed to do?

And, unfortunately, as if to prove the press saying a glimmer of hope the death toll in UK today rises by 854.
Looking at the figures each day is quite pointless, due to the recording. You would have thought the NHS would have by now be able to produce reliable figures, each hospital gives a figure to the Area who collate and send to regional to collate regions into National, seems we cannot do this

Archie

Looking at the figures each day is quite pointless, due to the recording. You would have thought the NHS would have by now be able to produce reliable figures, each hospital gives a figure to the Area who collate and send to regional to collate regions into National, seems we cannot do this

Archie
I've been giving the numbers a stiff ignoring for some time now.

As if to make things even more fun during the outbreak, my local council has decided in its infinite wisdom to close all recycling depots, as well as the bulk storage bin rooms in high flats like mine.

I had to giggle when on returning from my shopping trip yesterday I noticed that behind the "Caution Wet Floor" standing sign where they'd put a notice up saying that the bin room was shut, there was a pile of big black bags reaching halfway up the door.

What do they expect people to do? Cram stuff into recycling bins that are already chock-a-block? Harass the caretakers or get into arguments with them over such a stupid policy, or sit in houses that will overflow with stuff previously dealt with rather efficiently by the council that they have now refused to touch?

What happens if your fridge goes on the fritz, your telly goes tits-up, your washing machine goes awooga? You can't get rid of them in any way that's legal so what the hell are you supposed to do?
Fly tipping.

Already seen sign.

For big ticket items, like teles, I'd like to see recompense for the item.

You bring it in, you receive £20. The £20 would be levied as a deposit from new items.

Ditto washers, fridges, dryers, pretty much every bit of electrical household goods.

Plastic, glass and card ditto.

A few people have become multi millionaires, thanks to the shambles masquerading as Britain’s Recycling Industry. It’s a disgrace, but so are fly tippers, who in my opinion are the lowest of the low.

No-one runs past 'huffing and puffing all over you' if they're following the social distancing guidelines. They're two metres from you. The ones I've seen that do run in an urban environment run right out into the road to avoid pedestrians. It's not a problem with the lack of traffic.

I live close to a barracks (Rifles at Beachley) and the lads there are no problem; there's just one pavement in and out of the place; they just move into the road.

The risk must be minuscule.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The serving and ex-plod on here will be well aware that any crisis serves as also an opportunity for the callous scum who form 3-5% of any social grouping - and carry out 95-97% of the crimes.

So a timely ' Note To Self ' from the National Trading Standards folks:

1586273711633.png

Ignore the negativity and sensationalist headlines. The daily increase figures for positive testing and deaths continue to reduce. This is now quickly easing.
Increase in daily cases and deaths

Attachments

Where did you get this info; just for interest?
If you are one of those people that enjoy playing with data then you can download the data collated by Johns Hopkins University. They have their case tracking dashboard at ArcGIS Dashboards.

Look in the bottom middle section where it says 'Downloadable database', click the GitHub option and you can then download a large series of spreadsheets in a zip folder.

Latest Threads