MERS Coronavirus warning

It's not unusual for highly educated people with an expertise in one area to have an inflated opinion of how clever they are and to pontificate about subjects they know nothing about. The question you always need to ask when a scientist is being quoted as stating opinions which run contrary to the mass of qualified scientific opinion is whether he is talking about something that is actually in his areas of expertise. If not, then while he may be a clever guy, he's not necessarily any better informed about it than you or I.

I can't begin to count the number of mechanical engineers that I've met who can barely operate a screwdriver, or the number of electrical engineers that I've met whom I wouldn't trust to change a lightbulb. They are experts in something. It doesn't make them experts in everything, including things that you would think are closely related to what they do.
It appears to apply to crustaceans as well

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Way to go Mister Prez - another first for ' The Greatest President in History ':

More than 50,000 people have died worldwide in the covid-19 pandemic as of April 2, and the number of reported cases is over 1 million, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The United States is now the outbreak’s epicenter, with more reported infections than any other country.

Several countries are confirming thousands of new cases of covid-19 each day, led by the United States.

1586020824250.png

Making 'Merica Great Again - hell yeah.

The fúckwit.

Way to go Mister Prez - another first for ' The Greatest President in History ':

More than 50,000 people have died worldwide in the covid-19 pandemic as of April 2, and the number of reported cases is over 1 million, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The United States is now the outbreak’s epicenter, with more reported infections than any other country.

Several countries are confirming thousands of new cases of covid-19 each day, led by the United States.

View attachment 462666

Making 'Merica Great Again - hell yeah.

The fúckwit.
Let's not be too hasty.

America's a large country, with a population to match.
America's transit routes and airports have some pretty busy international routes.

And whilst it's all very fashionable and woke to attack (yes Mrs Clinton we mean you) over this,one must remember one simple fact. He's only the president. There are 50 odd state governers who can, will and have implement their own spin on federal dictats.

If Trump goes Putin on America, you'll see more than a train derailment.

Let's not be too hasty.

America's transit routes and airports have some pretty busy international routes.

And whilst it's all very fashionable and woke to attack (yes Mrs Clinton we mean you) over this,one must remember one simple fact. He's only the president. There are 50 odd state governers who can, will and have implement their own spin on federal dictats.

As a president has he , in anyone’s opinion , well those with a mind.Has he done a good job?

Has he stopped the fear, has he calmed the nation with his wise words?

Or has he lied through his teeth as he , IMHO even now , he has no idea of how bad this thing is.

Just look at any of his videos from the last 3 months, from . It’s nothing, it will go away in April, it’s not a pandemic. Until some one on the White House shook his head and said , oy ********* take a look at his.

Even then, the I know more about South Korea than anyone, Seoul has 38 million , 38.

No ********* it has less than 10 million.

why don’t the press ask questions like ?

”You stated , here is the video. You know more about South Korea than any one and there are 38 million living in Seoul. How many people live in Seoul?”

Things have gotten serious now. In Ontario cannabis stores have been declared non-essential and must close by Saturday night. Ontarians will now have to rely on having their cannabis supplied by mail via the government owned Ontario Cannabis Store.

The following news story has two aspects of interest to it.
Detective work and a culture of cleanliness — has Japan found its own way to stop COVID-19?
The first is the headlined story of COVID-19 in Japan. So far the Japanese have managed to keep infection levels low in Japan, and life has remained relatively normal, although some restrictions are in place.

There is serious question as to whether they can keep infections low, and there is some risk that it may take off in Japan if they are not careful.

Despite Japan have seen relatively few direct effects from COVID-19, their economy is still getting hammered along with the rest of the global economy.

The other interesting aspect is the video included in the story, which this forum won't let me embed directly. This video is on the situation in Taiwan, and discusses their relatively successful control measures so far. Taiwan reacted swiftly when they found out about the epidemic in China, and immediately started do things like ramping up the production of medical supplies and implementing control measures.

I very much recommend viewing the video on Taiwan down near the bottom of the story. It's 5 minutes 42 seconds long.

Things have gotten serious now. In Ontario cannabis stores have been declared non-essential and must close by Saturday night. Ontarians will now have to rely on having their cannabis supplied by mail via the government owned Ontario Cannabis Store.
It may cut down on all of the trips to the shops to satisfy the munchies - cracking plan Grommit.

The following is an interesting explanation of why testing for COVID-19 varies from province to province in Canada, and it changes from time to time within provinces. The short answer is that conditions vary from province to province and the purpose of testing is to provide proper treatment of those who are affected and to protect essential services, not to track the pandemic.
Why COVID-19 testing varies so much across Canada
But to some extent, the shortage is Canada-wide — and worldwide.

"You're just not going to be able to test everybody," said Greta Bauer, a professor of epidemiology at Western University.

That means tests need to be rationed and each province or territory decides exactly which groups get priority, based on two main goals:
  • Providing appropriate care to those who need it.
  • Improving the government's response to the pandemic.
As a result, patients who need treatment in hospital are usually prioritized. Those who don't need medical treatment, such as those with mild symptoms, often aren't tested at all — they're just told to self-isolate at home.

"We're going to save the tests for the people who are really sick," said Gaston De Serres, an epidemiologist practitioner at the Institut national de santé publique du Québec and a professor at Laval University, in an interview in French.

And to make sure those people can be properly treated, he said, health-care workers must also have good access to testing to ensure they can continue to safely work with patients.
The primary use of testing is not to track the spread of COVID-19. The purpose of testing is to improve providing government services. As a result how testing is done will change as the pandemic goes through various stages.
Many people may think testing — and the daily infection numbers that come from the results — are an important way to measure the spread of COVID-19 in their communities. And more widespread testing would presumably better do that.

But while that is a way that governments might use testing, right now it "is not the primary use of tests," said Bauer.

Bauer acknowledged testing criteria are changing quickly — something that she called "appropriate" as the pandemic moves through different stages, particularly since a main goal of testing is to improve government response.

"That is, I think, what's driving most of the changes we've seen," she said.
Changes to how many tests are conducted, which groups are targetted, and changes in delays in results will all affect the number of positive tests even if the number of actual infections stays the same.
"They're a function not just of what's happening with the underlying pandemic, but with what's happening with testing as well," said Bauer.

An increase or decrease in testing, more targeted testing and changes to delays in getting test results can all impact the numbers of positive tests — even if the number of actual infections stays the same.

In a plot of the number of new cases to new tests before and after Alberta made its testing criteria more targeted, there were suddenly a lot more new cases, or positive tests, even while the same number of people were tested.
According to the epidemiologist interviewed in the story, the number of cases reported through testing is a lot less useful than the number of hospitalisations and deaths in terms of understanding the progress of the pandemic. Because the testing criteria changes from province to province, and within provinces over time, comparing one province to another, or even the same province to itself at different times, can be comparing apples to oranges.
Those are some reasons why epidemiologists like Bauer say hospitalizations and deaths provide a better understanding of the course of the pandemic than test-based reporting of cases.

Given that testing is so varied among the provinces, when it comes to the number of confirmed infections in each province, "we have to remember we're almost never comparing apples to apples right now," said Bauer.
The above undoubtedly applies even more when comparing numbers from different countries. This needs to be kept in mind when looking at comparative stats from different countries. Raw rankings between countries of numbers of cases or tests are not as meaningful as some reports may lead you to believe. Broad trends or general categories can be useful, but the fine detail of seemingly precise numbers is just an illusion.

Let's not be too hasty.

He won’t, he can win one more term and that is it.

As a president has he , in anyone’s opinion , well those with a mind.Has he done a good job?

Has he stopped the fear, has he calmed the nation with his wise words?

Or has he lied through his teeth as he , IMHO even now , he has no idea of how bad this thing is.

Just look at any of his videos from the last 3 months, from . It’s nothing, it will go away in April, it’s not a pandemic. Until some one on the White House shook his head and said , oy ********* take a look at his.

Even then, the I know more about South Korea than anyone, Seoul has 38 million , 38.

No ********* it has less than 10 million.

why don’t the press ask questions like ?

”You stated , here is the video. You know more about South Korea than any one and there are 38 million living in Seoul. How many people live in Seoul?”
I would give him a B -. He should have cut off Europe sooner, but it is what it is. We will just have to ride the storm out and adapt to a temporary degree of disruption.

In my youth they were not words I would ever have expected to see.

How the tempuses fugit.
More tax revenue for the government, police can be used for other things, citizens happy and too monged out to steal so much

Everyone's a winner

All praise the Glorious God-Emperor Dim Wrong'Un.

Still no COVID in Norkland.

It's a miracle. A miracle I tell's ya.

The land between China and S.Korea with no electricity or lighting has zero cases of COVID.

Yeah. Fat fuckin chance.

Last edited:
I am sure the cure is instant.
I'm not sure the cure is instant, but it's definitely close to me, is maybe inbetween days, can be found in a forest, and sometimes can be found killing an arab

The land between China and S.Korea with no electricity or lighting has zero cases of COVID.

Yeah. Fat fuckin chance.
Didn't the Virus get arrested and sent to a re-education centre ? It Is 'kin North Korea after all...

TamH70

MIA
Didn't the Virus get arrested and sent to a re-education centre ? It Is 'kin North Korea after all...
More like "folks with the virus are gathered into a sufficiently large group, tied up, and shot the shit out of with a 23mm AAA cannon. It is 'kin North Korea after all..."

No charge, old bean.

Yeah. Fat fuckin chance.
TBF - the whole country has been on lockdown since the 1950s

Latest Threads