MERS Coronavirus warning

TamH70

MIA
With the wife hunkered down for twelve weeks, I'm lumbered with the shopping.
A couple of things I've noticed. Many wearing masks have lost their common sense, barging past like they're somehow special.
And once inside the supermarket social distancing goes to rat sh!t.
But the local walt is happy. Instead of wandering around town wearing combats, he can now wander around in a full dpm noddy suit including over boots & gloves & an S10.
Pillock.
Better not come near me, as I'll chin him for the Noddy suit, over-boots and gloves. I'd leave him with his skivvies and the S10 ressie.

Considering how long COVID-19 has been present in Singapore (first cases in January) and the government's very well-calibrated response to date which has kept numbers very low, this is an interesting development. I wonder what prompted it?

'Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Friday announced 1-month shutdown starting next Tuesday, saying that most workplaces, except for essential services and key economic sectors, will be closed down.

"Since COVID-19, we have responded to the crisis calmly and systematically, planning ahead and adjusting our measures as the situation changed," said Lee Hsien Loong in a Facebook post. "We will close most workplace except for all essential services and key economic sectors. Food establishments, supermarkets, hospital, transport and key banking services will remain open," he added. He also said that the country is in control and prepared to deal with any future COVID-19 outbreak situation.

"Let me reassure Singaporeans that our food supply is secure and adequate. Buy just what you need, and share any extra you have with those who need it. Let's stay calm and united during this challenging period," he said.
The number of coronavirus cases surpassed 1,000 this week with 5 deaths.'

Considering how long COVID-19 has been present in Singapore (first cases in January) and the government's very well-calibrated response to date which has kept numbers very low, this is an interesting development. I wonder what prompted it?

'Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Friday announced 1-month shutdown starting next Tuesday, saying that most workplaces, except for essential services and key economic sectors, will be closed down.

"Since COVID-19, we have responded to the crisis calmly and systematically, planning ahead and adjusting our measures as the situation changed," said Lee Hsien Loong in a Facebook post. "We will close most workplace except for all essential services and key economic sectors. Food establishments, supermarkets, hospital, transport and key banking services will remain open," he added. He also said that the country is in control and prepared to deal with any future COVID-19 outbreak situation.

"Let me reassure Singaporeans that our food supply is secure and adequate. Buy just what you need, and share any extra you have with those who need it. Let's stay calm and united during this challenging period," he said.
The number of coronavirus cases surpassed 1,000 this week with 5 deaths.'

Probably good curve management - like any other responsible state, having to balance infection rates, stockpiling of essentials, availability of health facilities and maintaining economic activity as long as possible....

Probably good curve management - like any other responsible state, having to balance infection rates, stockpiling of essentials, availability of health facilities and maintaining economic activity as long as possible....
With just over 1,000 cases in a population of 5.8m and a state-of-the-art medical system? Perhaps they've seen the purported 'second wave'?

4(T)

LE
A friend of ours was discharge from a local hospital recently, here in CH, following a hip replacement.
One of the discharge papers she received was this official table, from the Canton de Valais, showing how long this virus hangs around on inanimate surfaces, at given temperatures , and what can be used to ‘kill’ the bugs.
Of interest to us here is the note that at 4C, persistance can be up to 28 days: of interest because our outside temperatures aren’t getting much above that (if at all).
Most of the list is easily guessable for those of you, without the law, who are not francophones.
I suspect, too, there’s a bit of a margin built in for granny, but who am I to gainsay the medical authorities here.
View attachment 462208
ETA: Habit mono-usage = single-use garment.

How does that square with the report I posted earlier where German researchers could not find virus contaminant on any surface or object in a house containing an infected family?

I wonder if the methodology above was to place a blob of medium containing the virus on each specimen surface in laboratory conditions and, if so, whether that blob really replicated human snot or saliva as found in a typical domestic environment?

4(T)

LE
With just over 1,000 cases in a population of 5.8m and a state-of-the-art medical system? Perhaps they've seen the purported 'second wave'?

Interesting that off-the-record medical speculation from Russia and the 'stans is that the "first wave" may have been in June/July last year, when there was apparently a large number of unseasonal and virulent pneumonia cases in the region.

The small village of Heinsberg, next to the Dutch border, is Germany's worst-hit area and is home to the country's most serious Covid-19 outbreak.
Small village? I expect many people on here have either been to or through Heinsberg during their time in Germany. It is south of MG and north of Geilenkirchen. It is certainly not a small village. I reckon it has a population of 30,000+. Maybe it is the largest small village in the world.

Small 'kin village indeed!

TamH70

MIA
How about his three colour detector paper & his fullers earth?

Mask in time, mask in nine, blot, bang, rub etc
Well, if he is a Walt, he's probably not got that stuff.

Small village? I expect many people on here have either been to or through Heinsberg during their time in Germany. It is south of MG and north of Geilenkirchen. It is certainly not a small village. I reckon it has a population of 30,000+. Maybe it is the largest small village in the world.

Small 'kin village indeed!
And, according to the Local GE, it is referring to the district of Heinsberg (Kreis Heinsberg), not the town. Population of over 250,000.

Any chance of a link showing how antibiotics cure viral illnesses?

Excluding the Black Death and the Justinian Plague, which were caused by bacterium, all of those pandemics were/are viral.

I'm also dubious about including HIV/AIDS in that list.

I did actually state 'plagues', them are cured by antibiotics.
Today, the 'Black Death' is still out there, but little more than a nuisance

Basically, without the care and resources needed, people will die. Young and old, fit and healthy. If the numbers being admitted to hospital double every 3-5 days, how long will it be before we run out of capacity.
Well we've had the update from the CEO today. Critical care bed demand is currently doubling every 5 days, and non-critical every 4 days. We as a Trust are on a trajectory to reach peak demand at about the easter weekend. No indication yet as to how long that'll last for.

However, it's as simple as just 'saving the NHS'. It's preventing the NHS from becoming so overwhelmed that where hospitals have to declare Critical Incidents and are forced to ration lifesaving services and ending up with wartime triage where older patients are classed as 'un-saveable' even when they enter the hospital thus freeing up scant resources for the younger and fitter patients.
I've just heard on the radio today that care homes are being informed that if any resident over the age of 70 shows signs of CV19 and would normally need hospitalising, don't bother. I'm fortunate in that both father_mush and mother_mush are no longer around. If they were and in care, I'd be preparing to face the fact that I probably wouldn't see them again.

Turns out I bought nappy sacks instead of wet wipes. Well, the packet's the same, easy mistake to make. But she called me "daft".
I also went into ScrewFix & got a new double socket to replace a knackered one in the kitchen.
I turned the electricity off to change it & she remarked "I'll have to wait until you've finished before I can hoover".
We've got a cordless Dyson.

1-1.

Niamac

GCM
Excluding the Black Death and the Justinian Plague, which were caused by bacterium,
There's a school of thought that the Black Death was not a bacterial plague but rather a haemorrhagic disease similar to Ebola. I forget the arguments now but at the time I thought it was fairly convincing.

There's a school of thought that the Black Death was not a bacterial plague but rather a haemorrhagic disease similar to Ebola. I forget the arguments now but at the time I thought it was fairly convincing.
If it's caused by yersina (spelling?) pestis it's bacterial. From memory it's still alive and kicking in Northern India.

Latest Threads