MERS Coronavirus warning

Food Q social distancing New Delhi style.
I'll resist stating the obvious, and not mention Darwin.
Ooops, silly me...just did.
1585598612385.png

@craven50 What's your point? Are you saying that is not correct and therefore should be retracted? Or are you saying that only an automotive engineer can possibly know what fuel to put into a car or the correct tyre pressure to use?

Let's see what the WHO thinks shall we?

"Bare Below the Elbows is an initiative aiming to improve the effectiveness of hand hygiene performed by health care workers. The effectiveness of hand hygiene is improved when: skin is intact, nails are natural, short and unvarnished; hands and forearms are free of jewellery and sleeves are above the elbow."

How about the NHS:

Hand Decontamination:
The practice of physically decontaminating the hands using the most appropriate method and product as determined by assessment of risk.

‘Bare Below the Elbow’:
Hands and arms up to the elbow /mid forearm are exposed and free from clothing / jewellery.

View attachment 461266

Well? What do you reckon then?
If she's supposed to be bare below the elbows, shouldn't we be able to see her stockings

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
And we are significantly below the predicted rate of infection on 17 March now because we have flattened the curve with the more basic measures.

our infection rate is currently going up because
(a) we Widely broadened the testing criteria 2 weeks ago (to anyone with 1 symptom) and those results are now coming out
(b) community transmissions have increased because each case will on average give it to 2.5 others
(c) it will take 2 weeks for any measures to have any effect (so where the U.K. was telling people to self isolate for 1 week if they had symptoms here it is 2 weeks)

for the first 45 after the first confirmed case the U.K. was only testing those who had been hospitalised.
Wish I lived where you live, you guys seem to have it all sorted, looks like we are years behind you.

As with anything on social media, pinch of salt, but there's no way they have such few deaths compared to Italy and Spain, plus their cases basically just stopped growing.

And everyone in hospital were suddenly cured by Jesus by the sound of it.
View attachment 461115
Wuhan was in "lock down" since late January and funerals were not allowed. People have only been allowed to collect funerary urns for burial in the past week.

So what we see is the urns from over two months worth of deaths from all causes in a city of 11 million, which have been stacked up in the funeral homes waiting for the relatives to collect them. The relatives are only now picking them up for burial.

Given the size of the city, there should be tens of thousands of urns in the backlog.

There's loads of conspiracy theories about COVID-19 going around. Be sceptical about what you read when someone is saying they have discovered something starting and new which has been hiden from the public.

Wuhan was in "lock down" since late January and funerals were not allowed. People have only been allowed to collect funerary urns for burial in the past week.

So what we see is the urns from over two months worth of deaths from all causes in a city of 11 million, which have been stacked up in the funeral homes waiting for the relatives to collect them. The relatives are only now picking them up for burial.

Given the size of the city, there should be tens of thousands of urns in the backlog.

There's loads of conspiracy theories about COVID-19 going around. Be sceptical about what you read when someone is saying they have discovered something starting and new which has been hiden from the public.
Be equally sceptical about any statements coming the regime which gave us this:

At least 5 people in China have disappeared, gotten arrested, or been silenced after speaking out about the coronavirus — here's what we know about them

I said take it with a pinch of salt but there's no way I believe they only had 3000 odd deaths, when it was probably going on, well before Xmas.

Blogg

LE
If the ghettos don't watch out it'll turn into a blast from the past (Nazi Germany) and end up being sealed in to stop the infection spreading
Pah. Late comers

The French invented the Cordon Sanitaire in 1821, when the Duke de Richelieu deployed troops to the Pyrenees to prevent Yellow Fever* from spreading into France from Spain

*Actually to prevent the spread of revolutionary ideals into France from Spain which was at the time in pretty bad state after their 1820 revolution. And the French had pretty much had a total gutful of all that by then, thank you very much....

Is that supposed to make all the conspiracy theories true then? We've got enough problems without people running around in circles screaming "we're all going to DIE!" on Twitter and Facebook.

Some people are genuinely concerned about something they've read and they deserve an honest answer, which I think I've given in this case. No, having stacks of urns awaiting collection shouldn't be too surprising given the months long backlog in funerals that has been imposed. There are restrictions on funerals in Canada as well (although not ones likely to lead to a large backlog).

There are on the other hand some people who are actively scraping up every conspiracy theory they can find and re-posting them on this site in order to big themselves up and make it look like they have some special hidden knowledge and expertise on this subject. I think they deserve a good kicking as they may be causing problems for people who have enough problems with the current situation without having to worry that a lot more people are dying from it than has been appearing in the mainstream press so far. And by "them" I mean "he", and I think we all know who I'm talking about in this case (the expert on everything).

The rate of testing non-critical patients is probably the biggest factor. In the UK of the cases diagnosed with COVID-19 that are no longer receiving treatment 90% ended in death. Since the vast majority of patients aren't dead it's logical there are many more undiagnosed people who had the virus but mild symptoms and so aren't counted as 'cured'.

If Sweden is following the UK testing method and Norway is testing anyone that feels ill that would explain the discrepancy.
Sweden is also taking a much more relaxed attitude. No lockdown.

The urns thing is just like the "missing 3m phone users" thing - there are so many plausible explanations, yet so much missing information, that its impossible to deduce anything either way.

The huge piece of missing information is due to the lack of open reporting by independent sources from Wuhan of what ordinary people experienced and what they know.

Viz, "When granny died of the virus, did the authorities give you a chit to pick up the cremated remains in a nice urn, or did she go to landfill?", and

"You had six PAYG sim cards registered to your family, and now you have one. Did five family members die, or did you decide you only needed one phone whilst locked up together and thus chucked the spare sims in the bin?".
How many deaths overall in China from all causes per annum? Around ten million.

Is that supposed to make all the conspiracy theories true then? We've got enough problems without people running around in circles screaming "we're all going to DIE!" on Twitter and Facebook.

Some people are genuinely concerned about something they've read and they deserve an honest answer, which I think I've given in this case. No, having stacks of urns awaiting collection shouldn't be too surprising given the months long backlog in funerals that has been imposed. There are restrictions on funerals in Canada as well (although not ones likely to lead to a large backlog).

There are on the other hand some people who are actively scraping up every conspiracy theory they can find and re-posting them on this site in order to big themselves up and make it look like they have some special hidden knowledge and expertise on this subject. I think they deserve a good kicking as they may be causing problems for people who have enough problems with the current situation without having to worry that a lot more people are dying from it than has been appearing in the mainstream press so far. And by "them" I mean "he", and I think we all know who I'm talking about in this case (the expert on everything).
??? It means exactly what it says. I can show you posts I've "liked" which have criticised the phone number rumour. My post still means exactly what it says though. China lied about its problems, lies of omission until it could no longer hide the truth.

Or do you believe otherwise?

Some objectivity, thankyou.

I said take it with a pinch of salt but there's no way I believe they only had 3000 odd deaths, when it was probably going on, well before Xmas.
Whether it's 3000 or 6000 it's going to be a small proportion of the people who are going to die from all causes over a period of months in a large city. A large number of urns from several months funeral backlog is not a foreshadowing of a massive death toll in the UK, which is what you would be looking forward to if it were true.

We've already seen a variety of posters saying that different countries in the EU classify deaths in different ways, making it difficult to compare death rates in different EU countries. I doubt that China will be any different in that regards, particularly as a number of those deaths may have occurred before the virus was even identified as a new disease.

Contrary to another conspiracy theory, the WHO were present in Wuhan during much of the outbreak and were travelling about talking to people on the front lines and learning as much about it as possible in order to bring that knowledge to the rest of the world.

I posted on this thread at least two interviews with the head of the WHO mission, a doctor and public health expert, who made no mention of mountains of corpses. Indeed he said that the Chinese had gotten very good at keeping people alive and that this knowledge should be studied by the rest of the world. I'm prepared to accept the judgement of public health experts who were present to see things first hand for themselves before I begin to accept conspiracy theories on Twitter and Facebook.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
wotesed /\

I need to issue a warning about the post flu dump I had this dinnertime, when that fizzy bum gravy hits the sewer system it will make the Mumbai drains look like Disney World.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
I know it's bad in Europe, and the US is going to get walloped. But India looks like it is going to get absolutely hammered by this.
Tens of millions without access to any form of sanitation. Slums where you either go in the street or use mass communal loos. Massive population-dense areas, which usually suffer from all of the above. Millions fleeing from cities to home villages.

I hope they are able to pull some spectacular organisational powers and get s grip and fast. They can organise a billion+ democratic event every few years easily enough, fingers crossed they have plans and protocol to shift into now.

US president Trump is now saying that keeping the US COVID-19 death toll below 100,000 would be doing a "very good job".
In a stark shift from two weeks of measured optimism, the president said his guidelines for Americans to practice “social distancing” would remain in place until at least April 30, and he warned that 100,000 or more people may die. In an address, he said that if the death toll is kept to 100,000, it could be classified as a “very good job.”

Latest Threads