MERS Coronavirus warning

Crowded cities and slums, poor sanitation, lack of education, fragile medical services; quiet possibly we ain't seen nothing yet with regard to COVID-19 deaths.

'Across Africa, according to the most recent report by the World Health Organization on Sunday, more than 3,005 novel coronavirus infections have been reported in 42 sub-Saharan nations and territories, with another 1,317 in North Africa, and the number is now rising dramatically. There have been some 124 deaths, according to the WHO, but virtually all these numbers are vast undercounts since testing has been very limited and some countries, Libya and Somalia, are in the middle of conflicts that make any public health initiatives difficult or impossible to carry out. Meanwhile the ability of the coronavirus to spread exponentially once it appears is all too well established.

'The rapid jump in the number of infections in the last few days means it's only a matter of time before COVID-19 moves from big cities, which have welcomed travelers infected in foreign nations, to rural areas where primary health care is almost non-existent.

'Population mobility in West African countries is seven times higher than elsewhere in the world. The World Health Organization (WHO) noted in a report released in 2015 that the high degree of population movement across "exceptionally porous borders" in the region "created two significant impediments" to controlling the deadly Ebola outbreak of 2014, which killed over 11,000 people, mostly in West Africa.

'As the coronavirus spreads, West Africa is highly likely to see a repeat of the huge challenges the region faced during the Ebola outbreak, which lasted for two years, infecting more than 28,000 people and killing over one-third of that number. While governments in the region may have learned valuable lessons from that ugly experience, the health systems will definitely not be able to cope with a massive outbreak of the more highly contagious COVID-19.'

Meanwhile, in India:

1ba7e7b0a03c4f429e3fcff150fe8529.png

Migrant workers crowd up outside a bus station as they wait to board buses to return to their villages during a 21-day nationwide lockdown to limit the spreading of coronavirus disease, in Ghaziabad, on the outskirts of New Delhi, India, March 28, 2020. /Reuters

'To battle the pandemic in a nation of over a billion people, the Indian government has imposed a 21-day lockdown. During this period, only essential services such as grocery shops, banks, and hospitals are to function.

'All of India's 28 states have sealed their borders and are taking immediate steps to encourage physical distancing. The three-week lockdown, however, is proving to be particularly crippling to India's lower-income groups.

'Metropolitan cities like New Delhi and Mumbai are host to millions of migrant workers. Since the lockdown started, their livelihood in the cities has taken a hit. As businesses in the cities are struggling to operate, some of them are sending daily wage workers on unpaid leaves.

'Out of jobs and worried about their health, Indian workers are swarming bus stations and highways to find a way to get back to their homes.

'Since most state borders are shut and public transport services suspended, thousands of men, women, and children are stranded on the borders of big cities.'

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes, preliminary studies show that the proportion of COVID patients who need ventilation and die and who smoke or smoked is elevated compared to their proportion of population as a whole.

But there's probably no point panic-stopping now as the lung damage is already done.

Mother in law smokes 40 per day and is aged 75 so I might be getting out of a Christmas visit this year.
And yet, I'm the only smoker at my place of work with a team of 7 who has yet not taken any time off during this time, the others are all younger than me (58 ) and fitter.
PS, I'm also Type 2 Diabetic and have a heart condition, I'm either bulletproof or I'm going to just drop dead in an instant!

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't I know it, the missus is a student and it's gone 10am, she's got a deadline to do an essay but doesn't want to get out of bed because it's too cold

It's a tough life being a student

Meanwhile my boss has gone on emergency leave whatever that is (Guessing it's the new name for compassionate leave???) and I'm facing death by powerpoint through so many more mindless meetings as I've got to do their job too
Has she not made your breakfast yet? Kick her out, the idle slattern!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Our 2 undergrads are at home but with exams and dissertations to complete on line.
Get them done asap and get them working/volunteering, no gap year trip to Thailand (other exotic places are available) this year. ;)

Last edited:
Has she not made your breakfast yet? Kick her out, the idle slattern!
I've been up for four hours, I'm more perturbed just trying to work out what my boss actually does apart from meetings, most of my sudden increase in work seems to involve taking me away from doing actual work

I've been up for four hours, I'm more perturbed just trying to work out what my boss actually does apart from meetings, most of my sudden increase in work seems to involve taking me away from doing actual work

Welcome to my world!
Meetings have now been replaced by conference calls. I have 18 minutes until my nest one!

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Suspect we'll find that vast swathes of middle management will have nowhere to hide as people realise that the emperor has no clothes..

craven50

War Hero
AIUI short sleeves are the way ahead. There is no threat of contamination by absorption, only inhalation or ingestion. He will find it much easier to wash any contamination off his hands and bare arms, than he would to wash it off a long sleeved garment.
Another medical professional in our midst! Doubt it.:(

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Get them done asap and get them working/volunteering, no gap year trip to Thailand (other exotic places are available) this year. ;)
PS, I'm also Type 2 Diabetic and have a heart condition, I'm either bulletproof or I'm going to just drop dead in an instant!
They'll be done by mid-June but that won't help farmers needing labour in April and May. No gap years happening.

I still would advise them not to go into work gangs anyway. My wife, too, has a severely compromised immune system since early Dec.

Another medical professional in our midst! Doubt it.:(
Is Professor Kim Woo-joo from Korea University Guro Hospital professional enough for you?
Watch what he says about ACE2 receptors and where they can be found.

See my comments on Business Continuity planning. It's me, with a broom stuck up my erse and looking like the Goddess Kali.

Welcome to my world!
Meetings have now been replaced by conference calls. I have 18 minutes until my nest one!
More meetings when WFH

See my comments on Business Continuity planning. It's me, with a broom stuck up my erse and looking like the Goddess Kali.
Better than some folks that are out of job already because of Corona, better to be busy than be out of work

Better than some folks that are out of job already because of Corona, better to be busy than be out of work
For sure...much better than those who will not be waking up tomorrow as well.

From the Daily mail, so not the most reliable source, but they were suggesting 500 cremations a day, and at least 42,000 total dead in Wuhan.

Link: Locals in Wuhan believe 42,000 people may have died from coronavirus
As with anything on social media, pinch of salt, but there's no way they have such few deaths compared to Italy and Spain, plus their cases basically just stopped growing.

And everyone in hospital were suddenly cured by Jesus by the sound of it.
Screenshot_20200328-202358_Facebook.jpg

I do feel sorry for the sheeple in the USA. UK 80% of you wage , Ok on 1000 get 800 , on 200 get 1600 etc. USA a huge $1200 one time payment Now from what I have seen , read between 50 to 75% are living paycheck to paycheck if they earn $50,000!a year. Living the American dream . 3 in 10 ( and in MHO it’s much higher) have no savings. Living the dream.
Even 1 in 4 families making $150.000 a year are also living paycheck to paycheck . Living the dream.

If it kicks off with close downs and mass unemployment I can see it falling apart.
1585568439122.jpeg

1585568418338.jpeg

As stated , if the wage eaerner is on furlough , which might be on , pay, some pay or no pay. They are not unemployed so will get the $1200. That will last the poorest , on furlough with no pay a whole 2 weeks. If they don’t spunk it up the wall on crap , must have stuff from Amazon.

Latest Threads