MERS Coronavirus warning

That's your failing, not ours.

Everyone will have had this sooner or later.

Best to get a weak dose or a vaccination, rather than a lethal dose.

Or we'll be hiding in our houses every six months or so.

Anyone who is thinking we can just hide until it's over is just not thinking.
There isn’t a weak dose you have it or you
I believe the UK testing regime is called 'allocation of resources'

If, at the beginning of the outbreak there were a finite number of testing kits available, and the test provides an 80% negative result, who do you prioritise? Admissions to hospital to ensure you place the patient in the correct ward, or to Mr / Mrs Hypochondriac, who after watching sky / bbc news of doom, demands a test 'just to be sure'?

Ireland is in the lucky position of having a small, relatively dispersed, population and can use its allocation of test kits as it wishes. Boris and his team decided that the sick should be tested first to protect others.
quite possibly yes our policy at the time (up to 14 March) was that you had to be a close contact of a confirmed case or travelled from an affected area.

WHO advise is “test test test”

But that that stage they are in the approx 20% who are serious enough to have hospitalised, generally getting sicker over a couple of days and will not have known they have it at first so will have spread it to others over a couple of days.

was there contact tracing and self isolation done for them (I don’t know the answer)?

As to your assertion that we only have to isolate for 1 week, that policy changed on Mon 16 Mar. How do i know, one of my work colleagues put himself in isolation cause his boy had a fever initially for 1 week, changed to 14 days by the evening.
Stand corrected the advise is different from here however, this is NHS:

If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you'll need to self-isolate for 7 days.

After 7 days:

• if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to self-isolate
  • if you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal
You do not need to self-isolate if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

Here it is a blanket 14 days full stop

Stay safe
You too

In which case I apologise!

It is a matter of some debate in our place why some should work as normal and expose themselves to the risks of Kung Flu while others can get 80% pay for sitting at home in front of the telly.

I misinterpreted your post, my mistake
No problem.
My personal view is that on balance you're better off working & taking the risk, it gets you out of the house.
I've just had the weekend off & I've had enough of being inside knowing that I can't do what I normally would. Wander round town, grab some lunch, see the grandsons & so on.

A couple of months ago, things looked really bright.

Niamac

GCM
1585517933076.png

(...) WHO advise is “test test test” (...)
There is a world-wide shortage of the reagents (chemicals) needed for testing. A few countries like South Korea, Singapore, and a few others bought up much of the existing global stockpile ahead of other countries and so can use it up testing low-priority cases, but most countries have to ration their tests to make their own reagent stock last.

If a country uses up all their reagents now on low-priority cases, then they will be absolutely screwed later on when the pandemic is at its peak and they need to test high priority cases to clear ICU beds. More testing now could lead to catastrophe later unless they can replace their reagent stockpiles.

Currently countries are raiding veterinary supplies and other sources for reagents, and trying to set up new production sites to produce it. The latter takes time though, and won't happen overnight.

Everybody would like to test more, but the basic materials to do so are in short supply globally, and so rationing is in effect.

No problem.
My personal view is that on balance you're better off working & taking the risk, it gets you out of the house.
I've just had the weekend off & I've had enough of being inside knowing that I can't do what I normally would. Wander round town, grab some lunch, see the grandsons & so on.

A couple of months ago, things looked really bright.

I've just walked the dog, I live in suburbia and I didn't see one solitary person. No cars, no dog walkers. Nobody. Same last night.
I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find zombies outside by next weekend.

Last edited:
Right, I have had a look for it but because @DaManBugs limits his profile or is on the naughty step or something I can't find the original post. I have just managed to watch the rest of this youtube video he posted. I do recommend it, it is long but is quite informative.

While watching it on youtube this video appeared in the feed:

A much shorter video which I would also recommend, particularly if you are going to follow the link to the interactive graph it is largely based around here:

Covid Trends

This graph presents the progression of pandemic in different countries in a different way BUT it is away that requires a bit of knowledge to pick up on the nuances and the shortcomings which are well laid out in the associated video.

Edited for link issues.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems that if you need to be intubated, you're odds on a gonner..

So maybe we won't need quite as many ventilators as previously thought. Just a brief wait for one to become available...

If this virus came from China it would have a bogus CE mark, be smaller than the picture when you get it , have no earth connection, the warranty help line number would be unobtainable and every week the brand name would change , HappyCovid 27, Golden Happy Virus 50 and Best Top Joy Virus 6000 ect.

Winnet

Old-Salt
Right, I have had a look for it but because @DaManBugs limits his profile or is on the naughty step or something I can't find the original post. I have just managed to watch the rest of this youtube video he posted. I do recommend it, it is long but is quite informative.

While watching it

While watching it on youtube this video appeared in the feed:

A much shorter video which I would also recommend, particularly if you are going to follow the link to the interactive graph it is largely based around here:

Covid Trends

This graph presents the progression of pandemic in different countries in a different way BUT it is away that requires a bit of knowledge to pick up on the nuances and the shortcomings which are well laid out in the associated video.

Edited for link issues.

His views and the fact that after the last two outbreaks a mask was purchased for each citizen was thought-provoking. He seemed astounded that the West used them so little. A very informative interview from a man with a wealth of experience in fighting these virus types. Mentioned the need for humility as essential . Again from hard lessons .

There may be a little bit of leeway until the additional ventilators can be sourced.

His views and the fact that after the last two outbreaks a mask was purchased for each citizen was thought-provoking. He seemed astounded that the West used them so little. A very informative interview from a man with a wealth of experience in fighting these virus types. Mentioned the need for humility as essential . Again from hard lessons .
By the same token he has no doubt at all that those we have should currently be on health professionals. We are in what David Hackworth would have described as a "come as you are party". We can only proceed from where we are.