MERS Coronavirus warning

The idle labour who are sitting at home smiling because they're not the ones worried if they'll still have a job after this?
And who know the benefits will go in the bank regardless of what happens.
75% of those "economically inactive" are students, sick or acting as carers.
Some of the others are those who have retired before aged 65 (like what I did).

Probably leaves about a million and a half who don't want to work.

Which is the ones I'm on about.
"Who know the benefits will go in the bank regardless of what happens".

Sadly it is probably sensible
Given that half the country didn't take this seriously a week ago it is probably quite prudent for the government to keep reminding people what they need to do
With respect to the government sending an information letter around to each household, there is a lot of misinformation going around on social media which needs to be countered by credible sources. Problems are going to get a lot worse if people start believing half of the panic-laden rubbish which is being sent to them on Facebook.

If you want examples of this, just look at how ARRSE's very own expert-on-absolutely-everything has pumping out conspiracy theory scare stories on this thread that he has been reading on Facebook and tin foil hat conspira-loon web sites. While most site members know that if he says something then it's probably a good sign that it's not true, there will be some who take it seriously and repeat it to their friends, etc. Pumping out scare stories of exaggerated death tolls in other parts of the world is the sort of thing which leads to panic reactions instead of the sort of calm, rational public response which we need at this time.

The big problem we have is that the few people who genuinely know what they talking about in their field (as you clearly do in yours) can be drowned out by the legions of idiots repeating what they have read on Facebook.

The government needs to put out clear information on what the current situation is, what the official response to this is, and what the public are expected to do to help achieve a good outcome. So, a general mail-out to everyone is a good idea and may need to be repeated in future.

China is already pushing stock, especially for assisting/detecting C-19 to improve their image for the west. It would seem that having made/started it they now want to be friends again.
A good many countries sent medical aid to China during the height of the pandemic there, and the Chinese are returning the favour now that they are past the peak of their crisis. Tons of medical supplies from China recently arrived in Canada. Canada had sent supplies to the Chinese back in February when they were most in need.

With respect to the government sending an information letter around to each household, there is a lot of misinformation going around on social media which needs to be countered by credible sources. Problems are going to get a lot worse if people start believing half of the panic-laden rubbish which is being sent to them on Facebook.

If you want examples of this, just look at how ARRSE's very own expert-on-absolutely-everything has pumping out conspiracy theory scare stories on this thread that he has been reading on Facebook and tin foil hat conspira-loon web sites. While most site members know that if he says something then it's probably a good sign that it's not true, there will be some who take it seriously and repeat it to their friends, etc. Pumping out scare stories of exaggerated death tolls in other parts of the world is the sort of thing which leads to panic reactions instead of the sort of calm, rational public response which we need at this time.

The big problem we have is that the few people who genuinely know what they talking about in their field (as you clearly do in yours) can be drowned out by the legions of idiots repeating what they have read on Facebook.

The government needs to put out clear information on what the current situation is, what the official response to this is, and what the public are expected to do to help achieve a good outcome. So, a general mail-out to everyone is a good idea and may need to be repeated in future.
Plus, psychologically speaking, a piece of paper is more 'real' than an internet page to a lot of people. Anything that takes more effort or costs more money tends to be taken more seriously.

Truxx

LE
There is a huge potential for nationally produced foods if there is amble time/money to ramp it up

Just in the peak District alone you could rear untold millions of sheep in the fields alone, I'd say usually the fields are only scraping into single digits of capacity. The fields are perfect for hard animals too, it wouldn't be taking any land away from cereals or veg.

All those millions of acres dedicated to rape seed that need massive subsidiaries and the fields to be worked over with huge amounts of chemicals to alter the soil composition to enable the rape to grow, could all be turned back to traditional crops

The potential is there, wether the political will is. That's another issue. But it all could be scaled up with zero interest loans/grants from the govt if they wanted too.
We could use CAP payments to enable stuff to be grown rather than doled out simply for land ownership

That was exactly the point I was making

In which case I apologise!

It is a matter of some debate in our place why some should work as normal and expose themselves to the risks of Kung Flu while others can get 80% pay for sitting at home in front of the telly.

I misinterpreted your post, my mistake

AIUI short sleeves are the way ahead. There is no threat of contamination by absorption, only inhalation or ingestion. He will find it much easier to wash any contamination off his hands and bare arms, than he would to wash it off a long sleeved garment.
Yes, bare from elbow down is healthcare protocol for exactly that reason.

He doesn't seem to be wearing a wristwatch either. Good infection-control drills

I do feel sorry for the sheeple in the USA. UK 80% of you wage , Ok on 1000 get 800 , on 200 get 1600 etc. USA a huge $1200 one time payment Now from what I have seen , read between 50 to 75% are living paycheck to paycheck if they earn $50,000!a year. Living the American dream . 3 in 10 ( and in MHO it’s much higher) have no savings. Living the dream.
Even 1 in 4 families making $150.000 a year are also living paycheck to paycheck . Living the dream.

If it kicks off with close downs and mass unemployment I can see it falling apart.
People who have lost their jobs also qualify for unemployment... The lump sum payment is on top of the other benefits people are entitled to.

Here in Paris, wine seems to be just as valuable as hand sanitizer these days. “The French cannot consider having a good meal without drinking wine. It’s like a meal without bread,” said Thierry Givone, a French wine instructor who runs Wine Tasting In Paris. Some local wine shops have even started delivering “survival packs” of six or 12 bottles to quarantined residents.

holyphuc

Old-Salt
There is a huge potential for nationally produced foods if there is amble time/money to ramp it up

Just in the peak District alone you could rear untold millions of sheep in the fields alone, I'd say usually the fields are only scraping into single digits of capacity. The fields are perfect for hard animals too, it wouldn't be taking any land away from cereals or veg.

All those millions of acres dedicated to rape seed that need massive subsidiaries and the fields to be worked over with huge amounts of chemicals to alter the soil composition to enable the rape to grow, could all be turned back to traditional crops

The potential is there, wether the political will is. That's another issue. But it all could be scaled up with zero interest loans/grants from the govt if they wanted too.
What chemicals would those be then? Can't say I've ever applied any to alter the soil composition. There will be b*gger all rape grown this year because it has been mostly wiped out by flea beetle, due to the ban on neonicitinoid seed dressing. Rapeseed oil is also a better cooking oil than olive oil, being a miserable bloody farmer and pessimistic I can see a warm wet autumn resulting in BYDV in cereals ( neonicitinoid seed dressing ban again) and a shortage of milling wheat next year.

Think it's 22% are actually available - 1.8 million or similar.

What chemicals would those be then? Can't say I've ever applied any to alter the soil composition. There will be b*gger all rape grown this year because it has been mostly wiped out by flea beetle, due to the ban on neonicitinoid seed dressing. Rapeseed oil is also a better cooking oil than olive oil, being a miserable bloody farmer and pessimistic I can see a warm wet autumn resulting in BYDV in cereals ( neonicitinoid seed dressing ban again) and a shortage of milling wheat next year.
What does BYDV mean?

Interesting to see the Govt saying this could take 6 months to run its course but that that doesn't mean 6 months in lockdown.....

I can't seem many people doing very well if lockdown runs much beyond a month.

Well in better News or not, 300 people died in Iran because they ummm Co summed large quantities of methanol thinking it could ummm cure corona.

Also found out from a friend whose from that Herts that their local small cottage type hospital recorded average of 8 deaths per day in the last fortnight or so. Subsequently the facilities are not big enough for storage As piling up.

So is There any remote chance/ glimpse that the lockdown is working??

cheers

holyphuc

Old-Salt
What does BYDV mean?
Sorry yes barley yellow dwarf virus spread by aphids, can reduce yields by 50%, the neonicitinoid seed dressing gives protection for about 8 weeks against the aphids, no seed dressing means it needs to be sprayed, warm wet weather is good for aphids and no good for spraying, another Europe wide wet warm autumn like last year could be interesting.

Autumn 19 was the last time we could use neonic seed dressing on cereals. Another bit of environmental fuckwittery is the banning of one of the main fungicides for cereals - chlorothanonil- an excellent effective and cheap disease preventer on cereals, last use by date, May this year. Next year could be very interesting indeed, I won't be selling forward.

Last edited: