MERS Coronavirus warning

4(T)

LE
I'd seen an NFU thing and a government thing about volunteering for farms (but a while ago). Has anyone else seen anything recent?

We've got 8.4 million economically inactive people in the country (ONS figures). Even if you discount all those who cannot work for good reason, there are still millions of able-bodied people who could do some work.

Perhaps we need to go the whole hog and start conscripting people to work in the fields in place of the missing migrant labour? Workfare?

OK, probably not a realistic proposition, but it shows just how skewed our welfare society has become when we can't fill thousands of seasonal farming jobs from a vast pool of idle labour.

Last edited:
Golfists, yes... Those bastards are probably to blame somehow...

Meanwhile there is now a website showing the breakdown by health board in Wales...

I just moved from Newport and seems it is plague central, or about to be. Missus was in the Royal Gwent earlier this month, and we've both had some sort of lurgy since.

I've seen the stats for England and Cumbria seems to be badly affected. Nowhere else really, other than stabbystan...

Which isn't really England.
Pretty scary, as that's practically on my doorstep. Expect similar numbers going to the University Hospital of Wales soon.

They’ve said the UK is about two weeks behind Italy.
If Newport is only a week behind Italy, that means it’s ahead of the rest of the UK.

So to all detractors of that fair town - cough, cough, splutter ...
(What little picture thingy is used for sarcasm?)
No, it still means Newport is two weeks behind Italy, like the rest of the UK, but our numbers are still much higher than what we expected for that timeframe.

Costco (other wholesalers are available) was full up today. Loads of everything and no queues. If you've got a MOD90 you can join as a member, with Civil Service/emergency/NHS also getting in as "Individuals" as opposed to trade memberships. Big list on their website.

Anyway it was miles better than queueing outside Tesco and if you want 5 gallons of mayonnaise and a 90 inch TV to see you through Coronageddon accept no substitute
Also, many of the SME currently closed won't be shopping there; likewise Bookers. I'd expect some more loosening of the membership criteria fairly shortly....

the Chinese Government is now aggressively peddling the line that Coronavirus originated in Italy.
Conversely colleagues around Milan are blaming the Chinese who own most of the leather factories in the area.

After this all settles I think there will be a strong Western resistance to China's One Belt, One Road economic policy

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
NHS smart cards that are used to access computer system are to be changed so can access all services. This is to help with redeployments.

TamH70

MIA
The main bus operator in Renfrewshire, "McGills Buses", is operating an exact change or contactless payment only policy at the moment, which they are blaming on the coronavirus outbreak. I found out about this on my way back from my shopping trip - which had the main purpose of ensuring I don't have to go through this outbreak sober. This policy if it has time to bed in properly will no doubt become the standard way of things for McGills Buses going forward.

They are also doing an ad-hoc social distancing thingy on the buses as well - the extreme forward seats just abaft of the drivers are now blocked off, and the driver will get stroppy if you stand close to his seating position while waiting to get off.

We've got 8.4 million economically inactive people in the country (ONS figures). Even if you discount all those who cannot work for good reason, there are still millions of able-bodied people who could do some work.

Perhaps we need to go the whole hog and start conscripting people to work in the fields in place of the missing migrant labour? Workfare?

OK, probably not a realistic proposition, but it shows just how skewed our welfare society has become when we can't fill thousands of seasonal farming jobs with from a vast pool of idle labour.
The idle labour who are sitting at home smiling because they're not the ones worried if they'll still have a job after this?
And who know the benefits will go in the bank regardless of what happens.

The idle labour who are sitting at home smiling because they're not the ones worried if they'll still have a job after this?
And who know the benefits will go in the bank regardless of what happens.
Not entirely true
At my place of work over 100 staff are furloughed and I can assure you that they are all shitting bricks about their future prospects.
Many of them have years invested in their job, many more will face financial hardship even on the 80% from HMG.

Not many people are sitting on easy street through Covid-19 and if you think they are you probably don't understand most peoples economic reality.

Not entirely true
At my place of work over 100 staff are furloughed and I can assure you that they are all shitting bricks about their future prospects.
Many of them have years invested in their job, many more will face financial hardship even on the 80% from HMG.
A thought that has just occurred - is that 80% based on gross or net pay?

4(T)

LE
Not entirely true

Not many people are sitting on easy street through Covid-19 and if you think they are you probably don't understand most peoples economic reality.

I think he was making the point that the core of the existing (pre-virus) "economically inactive" are the professionally idle types whose life on benefits is least likely to be impacted by the current crisis.

The ONS figures for EI don't of course include any of the current virus-induced layoffs.

I think he was making the point that the core of the existing (pre-virus) "economically inactive" are the professionally idle types whose life on benefits is least likely to be impacted by the current crisis.

The ONS figures for EI don't of course include any of the current virus-induced layoffs.

Maybe

A thought that has just occurred - is that 80% based on gross or net pay?
I do feel sorry for the sheeple in the USA. UK 80% of you wage , Ok on 1000 get 800 , on 200 get 1600 etc. USA a huge $1200 one time payment Now from what I have seen , read between 50 to 75% are living paycheck to paycheck if they earn $50,000!a year. Living the American dream . 3 in 10 ( and in MHO it’s much higher) have no savings. Living the dream.
Even 1 in 4 families making $150.000 a year are also living paycheck to paycheck . Living the dream.

If it kicks off with close downs and mass unemployment I can see it falling apart.

SDFA

Old-Salt
The main bus operator in Renfrewshire, "McGills Buses", is operating an exact change or contactless payment only policy at the moment, which they are blaming on the coronavirus outbreak. I found out about this on my way back from my shopping trip - which had the main purpose of ensuring I don't have to go through this outbreak sober. This policy if it has time to bed in properly will no doubt become the standard way of things for McGills Buses going forward.

They are also doing an ad-hoc social distancing thingy on the buses as well - the extreme forward seats just abaft of the drivers are now blocked off, and the driver will get stroppy if you stand close to his seating position while waiting to get off.
I was actually surprised at the number of McGills cutting about, even on routes where the buses are doubled up, Neilston Rd etc.
Next door neighbour drives for First in Glasgow, some stories he's coming out with - no replacement for end of shift, bring bus back to depot, no passengers after 1930 ish, driving routes empty. The personnel who took 'advantage' of the 14 day self isolation package 2 weeks ago are now being sent letters asking them to provide info as to when they are returning to work.

NB, all conversations were conducted over a 6 ft fence with at least 3 meters between us

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Conversely colleagues around Milan are blaming the Chinese who own most of the leather factories in the area.

After this all settles I think there will be a strong Western resistance to China's One Belt, One Road economic policy
China is already pushing stock, especially for assisting/detecting C-19 to improve their image for the west. It would seem that having made/started it they now want to be friends again.

Like this chaps PPE.

View attachment 460905

Shame he forgot that short sleeves exposes all that skin, ok he won’t breath in anything but if the woman on the till to his right coughs he is going to get a skin full of lurgi.
AIUI short sleeves are the way ahead. There is no threat of contamination by absorption, only inhalation or ingestion. He will find it much easier to wash any contamination off his hands and bare arms, than he would to wash it off a long sleeved garment.

Latest Threads