MERS Coronavirus warning

Britain

We’re f*king lucky we voted Brexit, and the Government had robust planning in place for what to do if we were cut off and needed to keep things running with shortages, and the supply chains had built up excess stock.
So your saying us Brexiteers are really fcuking geniuses.

Like this chaps PPE.

4B64B066-6092-418C-96F6-DA37BD9F37AD.jpeg

Shame he forgot that short sleeves exposes all that skin, ok he won’t breath in anything but if the woman on the till to his right coughs he is going to get a skin full of lurgi.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe one of the very few "benefits" we might see after this is a revision of our food and agriculture production with a focus on local sustainability, food security and environmental impact.

The last fifty years have seen a totally distorted agriculture sector across Europe, and indeed the rest of the world. The overproduction of certain foods (butter mountains, wine lakes, grain silos etc) is a disgrace (more so if you want to go all humane and consider that the best part of two billion people are either undernourished or actually starving).

My favourite example is the carambola or star fruit. A useful food in S.E Asia but in the UK air freighted from S. America and only ever used here as a pretty garnish. Then binned. Completely bonkers.

Maybe converting a few golf courses to agriculture might have social benefits.
Golfists, yes... Those bastards are probably to blame somehow...

Meanwhile there is now a website showing the breakdown by health board in Wales...

I just moved from Newport and seems it is plague central, or about to be. Missus was in the Royal Gwent earlier this month, and we've both had some sort of lurgy since.

I've seen the stats for England and Cumbria seems to be badly affected. Nowhere else really, other than stabbystan...

Which isn't really England.

My favourite example is the carambola or star fruit. A useful food in S.E Asia but in the UK air freighted from S. America and only ever used here as a pretty garnish. Then binned. Completely bonkers.
I think it’s bloody madness.

2012 Italy was the biggest producers of Kiwi fruit in the world.

Where I live , from my balcony I can see huge fields full of Kiwi fruit.

Going to the shop . Yes they have kiwi fruit, from NZ and Chilie. Can kind of understand it in winter but not in summer.

Not going to work.

Nobody said it would be easy.......

Bit if we have to make it work, we can.
I'm no expert on farming, but I do have a pretty good idea on food distribution.

Regardless of what happens in the EU (and I suspect that production/distribution there will be the pinch point) the ROW supply chain won't face much interruption
Air freighted exotics will start to dry up around now. Bulk meats and cereals will continue without issue. some european produced fruits/vegetables may be delayed

Reality is that all food importers and exporters around the world will continue to operate.
Unless of course half the world is dead by June, in which case our demand for food will have fallen considerably.

Not forgetting we are one of the worlds wealthier nations, foreign production achieves a premium price for the producer when exported to the UK and we will continue to be a favoured market

It’s a world problem . Good article last year about soft fruit production.

Spain has a huge base for soft fruit. It’s cheaper for the owner to fly in pickers from Nepal ? Then pay EU wages In the high season.

I can see quite a few soft producers going to the wall this year.

Let us hope this globalization b*llocks is finally f*cked off at the high port.
Why do you want to undo the last 350 years of capitalist industrial and economic growth? Are you a communist?

Last edited:

Schmoe

War Hero
Another update, just found out the contract my company has taken on is to deliver skips for rubbish overflow in Southall and Hounslow!
Think they’re in for a surprise when none of the drivers will lift the skips.

Another update, just found out the contract my company has taken on is to deliver skips for rubbish overflow in Southall and Hounslow!
Think they’re in for a surprise when none of the drivers will lift the skips.

All that thrown away panic bought food wont clear itself away!

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
There is a huge potential for nationally produced foods if there is amble time/money to ramp it up

Just in the peak District alone you could rear untold millions of sheep in the fields alone, I'd say usually the fields are only scraping into single digits of capacity. The fields are perfect for hard animals too, it wouldn't be taking any land away from cereals or veg.

All those millions of acres dedicated to rape seed that need massive subsidiaries and the fields to be worked over with huge amounts of chemicals to alter the soil composition to enable the rape to grow, could all be turned back to traditional crops

The potential is there, wether the political will is. That's another issue. But it all could be scaled up with zero interest loans/grants from the govt if they wanted too.

Schmoe

War Hero
Why wouldn’t they?
These are skips being placed for domestic rubbish overflow, which means that they will contain everything and anything. They will be literally overflowing. Especially after people decide that sofas, mattresses etc will also fit.

I have worked the bins, I know exactly what will happen. Knee deep and higher in, around and over the skips.

[On top of that, the NUF reckons that UK producers can feed 70% of the populations needs at current production levels.
That's before we factor in Irish production (and if shit gets really bad Ireland will be cut off from its european markets, the UK won't be cut off from Irish produce].

Waking early and not having to go to work I have started listening to “Farming Today” on BBC 4 . 06:45.

Yes the NFU and the farmers are saying they can produce 70% but that’s not tomorrow. Last week there were three articles of note.

1. Due to the flooding earlier this year many farmers have not been been to drill seed .

2. Small producers need to self isolate. One farmer was saying they have fruit and purple broccoli ready. One person has to pick the items in a poly tunnel.

Pass said items to the washer in another area. They need to pass it onto the packer.

They call the distribution driver as he drives up the packer has to put it outside then walk away . So a job that took 1/2 an hour is now taking 2 Or more. This was a small place with three working staff, one gets the lurgi and ?

3. Brexit means many of the seasonal pickers were not going to come anyway, now none will be coming And its nearing the time when the fruit needs to be picked. Where will the farmers be getting the pickers from? Also Most pickers worked side by side, most farmers had on site accommodation. Living side by side? Not going to work.
I'd seen an NFU thing and a government thing about volunteering for farms (but a while ago). Has anyone else seen anything recent?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'd seen an NFU thing and a government thing about volunteering for farms (but a while ago). Has anyone else seen anything recent?
Yes, lots of people virtue signalling about doing it on social media already

Whether they really are is another story of course

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Not seeing anything on social media or the news regarding the high incidence of cases in Newport.. Running at 869 per million, which is about where Italy as a whole was about a week ago...

Not seeing anything on social media or the news regarding the high incidence of cases in Newport.. Running at 869 per million, which is about where Italy as a whole was about a week ago...

They’ve said the UK is about two weeks behind Italy.
If Newport is only a week behind Italy, that means it’s ahead of the rest of the UK.

So to all detractors of that fair town - cough, cough, splutter ...
(What little picture thingy is used for sarcasm?)

They’ve said the UK is about two weeks behind Italy.
If Newport is only a week behind Italy, that means it’s ahead of the rest of the UK.

So to all detractors of that fair town - cough, cough, splutter ...
(What little picture thingy is used for sarcasm?)
it’s a good job devolved Welsh Wales has an excellent health service.....

oh wait!

DTBA

War Hero
Costco (other wholesalers are available) was full up today. Loads of everything and no queues. If you've got a MOD90 you can join as a member, with Civil Service/emergency/NHS also getting in as "Individuals" as opposed to trade memberships. Big list on their website.

Anyway it was miles better than queueing outside Tesco and if you want 5 gallons of mayonnaise and a 90 inch TV to see you through Coronageddon accept no substitute

Latest Threads