MERS Coronavirus warning

The "support the NHS" clapping ceremony at 20:00 had zero take up here.

I'm sure the NHS workers actually risking their health will be delighted.
Probably because it's full cnuts doing it for social media 'likes' rather than any form of altruism.

Whatever happened to stoicism and just doing the job you chose without getting sucked off for it.

Has that stood up to scrutiny though?

Just more of A or more type A than would be expected? I thought A+ was one of the more common types.
More A than the more common O. A+ is fairly common, and very significantly more common in Western countries than China.
If Covid-19 has a predilection for A blood, it could be a worrying trend.

The following is a very interesting interview with a scientist about "zoonotic diseases", which are diseases which jump from animals to humans. COVID-19 is one such, but there are many others which have made the news in recent years, such as Ebola, Zika, H1N1, SARS and others.

This is a very informative interview, and the scientist in question emphasised that there is much we do not know about the origins of COVID-19. The implication seems to be that some of what we currently think we know about it may not be correct.

We also need to realise that COVID-19 isn't a one-off occurrence. As noted above, there is a long list of other zoonotic diseases which still pose a threat, and there will be more in future.

There's 100'000 leaflets being handed out in East Belfast.

Our MP and local councillors on the initiative, I take it will be using their positions to source grants to fund it when the local population can't or liaising with statutory agencies to supplement the local volunteers.

Local community groups will be undertaking the logistical support, providing the assistance to do peoples shopping, pick up prescriptions and deliver cooked meals were needed.

I know similar efforts are being undertaken over in other Loyalist/Unionist area's like the Shankill, Rathcoole etc.. no doubt Republicans/Nationalists are organising something very similar in their area's.

The one massive positive to maybe come out of all this, is that the ordinary bloke in the street, seems to have the outlook that Unionist or Nationalist, the virus doesn't give a fcuk and maybe NI will come of this a bit more respectful to each other.
They are. The leaflet that came through my door listed the organisers for this area, they all from Sinn Fein.

This is another interview with the same TV show, this time with regards to developing a vaccine. Two medical researchers are interviewed, both of whom are heavily involved in finding a vaccine or treatment for COVID-19. One of them was also involved in the SARS epidemic.

Just more of A or more type A than would be expected? I thought A+ was one of the more common types.
I think a lot of this stuff is a bit too soon to form definite ideas. Group A could be AA or AO genotype. Strictly speaking, there is no antigenic difference but is there a susceptibility difference? The plus minus bit is Rhesus factor which can get quite complicated but as you have possibly implied, will this make a difference? It certainly will do in terms of cell markers for infection such as AC E markers.

A few people over the last few days have been talking about men being more susceptible to women. Many pundits are going on about men smoking more and having weaker immune systems. Again, it's my idea that we( meaning the initial researchers who) are just kiting ideas , We forget that women live with men , smoke by proxy and I would say show a normal spectrum of immune efficiency to infectious disease similar to men. I am quite happy to be proved wrong here.

What I would initially hypothesise with this virus is the following assuming people are re catching it:

1] Mutates effectively to not provoke a secondary immune response after the initial immune response has been done. This does happen with complex viral genomes such as flu but is not likely to happen with a simple genome such as this.

2] Can exist as a provirus in a certain % of viruses. Eg some virions enter cells and instead of manufacturing new particles, just sit there in the host cell DNA AWAITING RE ACTIVATION.. Not uncommon, eg chicken pox and shingles.

3] If men are more susceptible, I would think it is more beneficial to identify factors to do with maleness rather than pat things like smoking 60 ciggies a day. We might say that there is an allele/gene linked to X chromosomes which produces a more amenable entry protein for the virus on cell surface membranes. Women have two X, men One X so the "defective" allele more likely to be masked in women, making them have less amenable receptors on their cell surface membranes. Women also have rafts of hormones plinking about in their bodies in addition to the ones males have. Maybe these are a factor.

4] The virus can hide its antigens. Possibly linked to 1]. It does not seem complex enough to undergo the antigenic concealment games that a complex organism like the malarial parasite does. This is almost certainlt an unknown at this stage.

The thing I am concerned about is that this little fecker becomes endemic and vaccine application is weak. The implications are obvious and my superstitious nature does not want to write them down. Silly, I know.

Just opinions. We will see what develops.

A woman in Japan who had been given the all-clear after having covid-19 but then tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus a second time. Trouble is the variation of the Covid virii. No-one is certain that the reinfection of a single person is a flare up of the original virus or an actual reinfection and is it Covid19 or a variation?. Too early to make even the slimmest of connection but it's a bad bugger whatever it is.
My mate self isolated as a just in case and started to paint the ceiling and fell off the ladder. So was this a cause of Covid or not? :cool:

I think a lot of this stuff is a bit too soon to form definite ideas. Group A could be AA or AO genotype. Strictly speaking, there is no antigenic difference but is there a susceptibility difference? The plus minus bit is Rhesus factor which can get quite complicated but as you have possibly implied, will this make a difference? It certainly will do in terms of cell markers for infection such as AC E markers.

A few people over the last few days have been talking about men being more susceptible to women. Many pundits are going on about men smoking more and having weaker immune systems. Again, it's my idea that we( meaning the initial researchers who) are just kiting ideas , We forget that women live with men , smoke by proxy and I would say show a normal spectrum of immune efficiency to infectious disease similar to men. I am quite happy to be proved wrong here.

What I would initially hypothesise with this virus is the following assuming people are re catching it:

1] Mutates effectively to not provoke a secondary immune response after the initial immune response has been done. This does happen with complex viral genomes such as flu but is not likely to happen with a simple genome such as this.

2] Can exist as a provirus in a certain % of viruses. Eg some virions enter cells and instead of manufacturing new particles, just sit there in the host cell DNA AWAITING RE ACTIVATION.. Not uncommon, eg chicken pox and shingles.

3] If men are more susceptible, I would think it is more beneficial to identify factors to do with maleness rather than pat things like smoking 60 ciggies a day. We might say that there is an allele/gene linked to X chromosomes which produces a more amenable entry protein for the virus on cell surface membranes. Women have two X, men One X so the "defective" allele more likely to be masked in women, making them have less amenable receptors on their cell surface membranes. Women also have rafts of hormones plinking about in their bodies in addition to the ones males have. Maybe these are a factor.

4] The virus can hide its antigens. Possibly linked to 1]. It does not seem complex enough to undergo the antigenic concealment games that a complex organism like the malarial parasite does. This is almost certainlt an unknown at this stage.

The thing I am concerned about is that this little fecker becomes endemic and vaccine application is weak. The implications are obvious and my superstitious nature does not want to write them down. Silly, I know.

Just opinions. We will see what develops.
I agree.

R0B

Old-Salt
This was raised at one of the Boris briefing by a jurno. The CMO said that even in a virus that doesn't mutate there are a few people who can be reinfected twice but usually very small percentage.

If this does come around every year wouldn't MERS and SARS come every year as well?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
More A than the more common O. A+ is fairly common, and very significantly more common in Western countries than China.
If Covid-19 has a predilection for A blood, it could be a worrying trend.
There are differences noted in China, but they aren't that massive.

Type A has a 20% higher chance of being hospitalised, Type O has a 30% lower chanceof being hospitalised. Note however that this isn't the risk of catching it, it is the risk of getting serious symptoms.

Though it does raise the prospect of different countries being more or less susceptible...

Chile being the lowest and India being notably low...

This was raised at one of the Boris briefing by a jurno. The CMO said that even in a virus that doesn't mutate there are a few people who can be reinfected twice but usually very small percentage.

If this does come around every year wouldn't MERS and SARS come every year as well?
MERS is mainly caught from camels. It can transmit from human to human with close contact, but not very readily. Thus it's hard for it to become pandemic.

SARS seems to have been less readily infectious, and so it was able to be controlled through isolation. It appears to be extinct now.

COVID-19 can readily transmit from person to person, and so spreads much more readily than the previous two and the pandemic grows in an exponential fashion. The fact that the symptoms which people experience vary a great deal from comparatively mild to fatal probably makes a big difference as well, as it means that people people who are only mildly affected can spread it around quite readily.

even have the NI Health Minister (UUP) willing to accept Irish army assistance (not that it was offered as far as I know)

Yeah Robin Swann said, that if you lot want to come up and help, fire away.

Sinn Fein said the British Army can fcuk off.

Party politics during a national emergency.. but then they're doing it down South as well through Mary Lou.

Latest Threads