MERS Coronavirus warning

Oh dear.
From the Vallodolid Daily.
81 year old lady who was taken into hospital a few weeks ago, one of the first on the mailnland, was discharged as full recovered. Videos were shown of the staff cheering as she left and she was giving thumbs up and shouting "champions".
She died 36 hours later. No official reason for death but relatives claiming it was coronavirus.
I have seen the word "Biphasic" used. It seems to mean that the infection subsides and resurges later. I think discharge criteria have been looked at in light of this.

For all of the stattos - the questions are,, how far out of our median are we on deaths and would the victims have been taken by something else anyhoo?
I recall hearing a pointy head on BBC R4 this morning saying that we won't know for def until after it's all over but his estimation was that 33%-50% of deaths in the over 70s would have probably happened anyway.

Just tried to get Sainsbury's home delivery. Redirected to gov.uk to see if I qualify as a vulnerable person.I have hypertension, diabetes type 2, recovering from cancer, had an evar op for an abdominal aortic aneurysm, had an arterial bypass femoral to femoral to allow me to walk a bit better, which didn't work, and am in receipt of Attendance Allowance and I am 76 years old. Unfortunately I am NOT classed as a vulnerable person.
Oh, well, I'll just have to go and queue up instead of getting home delivery. :cool:
If you are still going after all that then I have to agree - pretty much indestructible... ;-)

Check with your GP though - they are the ones who are supposed to be sending out the letters I think.

I recall hearing a pointy head on BBC R4 this morning saying that we won't know for def until after it's all over but his estimation was that 33%-50% of deaths in the over 70s would have probably happened anyway.
As you do, I Googled to see how many people die in the UK normally - for 2018, it was 616,014 - 51,334 a month, or 11,846 a week, or 1,687 a day - mostly from old age (dementia as it's now classed as) and the stuff you get when your body is a bit knackered.

Quite believable.
Mrs Miggins might have died from influenza leading to pneumonia if she hadn't caught Corona first.
Young Ferretta Bouncy might have been a stat for an accidental overdose were it not for Corona and the complications that followed.

An overview of restrictions throughout Europe of Covid19 by Frontex.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Indx-TechS

Clanker
OK, I just made a joke about that. But thinking again, I have to wonder if the extensive use of public toilets in India (they've built loads of them recently to give people some place to defecate) will turn out to be yet another place where the virus is spread.

We talk a lot about "wash your hands", but a lot of Indians don't have access to hot and cold running water. They fetch water at a public tap or well.

Of course India could rack up quite a big death toll, and so long as it was mainly from amongst the lower orders of society it probably wouldn't make much difference to the functioning of the country, aside from the grieving families.
Things aren't that simple. India's stats over sanitation comes from feedback from people.

Sanitation, infrastructure and other facilities weren't great. Have improved greatly but only in certain regions.
But still that 40%, 70% data about toilets was too shoddy and dubious. It was itself contradicted by simultaneous study.

My village in 2011 was recorded with 65% open defecation and everyone was like WTF?

The methodology itself pulled down the numbers of Indian open defecation, earlier and before with no human faeces in open. Problem remains with stray cows though.

Londo

LE
Things aren't that simple. India's stats over sanitation comes from feedback from people.

Sanitation, infrastructure and other facilities weren't great. Have improved greatly but only in certain regions.
But still that 40%, 70% data about toilets was too shoddy and dubious. It was itself contradicted by simultaneous study.

My village in 2011 was recorded with 65% open defecation and everyone was like WTF?

The methodology itself pulled down the numbers of Indian open defecation, earlier and before with no human faeces in open. Problem remains with stray cows though.
But do you have soft close toilet seats ?

Or pehaps because they only have a population of around 10 million and are pretty spread out. Even their biggest city only has a population of half a million and the other big towns have less than that of Cardiff.
The big towns on the coast will be pretty empty at the moment, None of them will have the crowds of people like London tubes or Madrid and Barcelona and so on.
It has a confirmed cases per million of population at 348 compared with UK cases per million at 140.
Death rate per million at 4 compared with UK at 7 but they started the lockdown at an earlier stage than UK and Spain did.
As of when I checked, the deaths in Portugal are now up to 60, and deaths per million are 6, which is virtually the same as the UK at 7. In terms of total cases per million, they have roughly twice the rate at the UK, although that figure needs to be taken with a great deal of caution as it will be greatly affected by how much testing is being done.

If we ignore the micro-states, the countries which have deaths per million rates in the double digits or greater are:
  1. Italy - 124
  2. Spain - 87
  3. Iran - 27
  4. Netherlands - 25
  5. France - 20
  6. Switzerland - 20
  7. Belgium - 19
The UK, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, and Iceland have deaths per million rates of 6 or 7.

And while we're listing stats, the US has now surpassed Spain and is at number 3 in terms of total number of cases, at 69,041, and this is despite their problems with limited testing. At this rate they could easily surpass Italy (who are only 5,345 ahead of them) within days, and even China (81,285) is in striking distance if they keep it up.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
As you do, I Googled to see how many people die in the UK normally - for 2018, it was 616,014 - 51,334 a month, or 11,846 a week, or 1,687 a day - mostly from old age (dementia as it's now classed as) and the stuff you get when your body is a bit knackered.

Back to that kraut wallah I posted a while back saying that more people were not dying, just that the cause of death was being given as covid.

Seem he is likely right...

The US showed once again how to make friends and influence people at the G7 foreign ministers meeting (via video conference) by vetoing a joint statement on the COVID-19 crisis because the other countries wouldn't agree to calling COVID-19 the "Wuhan Virus".
G7 ministers spike joint statement on COVID-19 after U.S. demands it be called 'Wuhan virus'
Any hope of G7 foreign ministers releasing a joint statement on the fight against COVID-19 was killed today after the U.S. insisted the document refer to it as the "Wuhan virus."

As originally reported by Der Spiegel, and according to sources with knowledge of the situation, when U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo insisted the novel coronavirus be referred to by the name of the Chinese city where the outbreak first appeared, ministers from other countries refused to agree.
According to one official discussion never really got off the ground because it was stalled over the US insistence on the issue.
One official from a country involved said Pompeo would not agree to a communique that didn't refer specifically to the "Wuhan virus."

That official said the G7 discussion was brief because it stalled over that issue and never got off the ground.
Trump himself had been using the term "Chinese virus", but apparently has wound his neck in on that one and stopped using it as (according to numerous other news reports) there has been a spate of racist attacks in the US on East-Asian looking people, blaming them for the virus.
The Trump administration has faced criticism over how it has publicly discussed the pandemic.

On multiple occasions, U.S. President Donald Trump has called it the "China virus." He has since stopped using that phrase and has called for an end to discrimination against Asian-Americans.

Last edited:
Back to that kraut wallah I posted a while back saying that more people were not dying, just that the cause of death was being given as covid.

Seem he is likely right...

There's "only" 477 deaths so far in the UK from COVID-19, so we shouldn't expect to see a spike in the death rate caused by it. The objective of the UK government of course is to avoid getting into the situation that Italy is in with multiple thousands of deaths.

If a spike is seen, then it will mean that things got out of control in the UK.

As of when I checked, the deaths in Portugal are now up to 60, and deaths per million are 6, which is virtually the same as the UK at 7. In terms of total cases per million, they have roughly twice the rate at the UK, although that figure needs to be taken with a great deal of caution as it will be greatly affected by how much testing is being done.

If we ignore the micro-states, the countries which have deaths per million rates in the double digits or greater are:
  1. Italy - 124
  2. Spain - 87
  3. Iran - 27
  4. Netherlands - 25
  5. France - 20
  6. Switzerland - 20
  7. Belgium - 19
The UK, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, and Iceland have deaths per million rates of 6 or 7.

And while we're listing stats, the US has now surpassed Spain and is at number 3 in terms of total number of cases, at 69,041, and this is despite their problems with limited testing. At this rate they could easily surpass Italy (who are only 5,345 ahead of them) within days, and even China (81,285) is in striking distance if they keep it up.

We will pass them up by Sunday I would imagine. But I do take the Chinese numbers with a bag of salt.

Since I made my previous post 40 minutes ago, there has been an update in the infection figures reported by the web site.

The US are now reporting 75,069 cases, and are ahead of Italy (74,386), and only 6,216 behind China. This was an increase in US figures of 6,858. The US could surpass China very soon and become the number one centre for COVID-19 infection world wide.

Latest Threads