MERS Coronavirus warning

Foxconn.....

"Apple employees are also frequent fliers to China. Apple is United Airlines’ top enterprise customer due in part to Apple prepurchasing 50 business class seats on United’s daily San Francisco to Shanghai flight. However, United said on Tuesday it would in fact begin suspending flights to China in February due to the coronavirus, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also said Tuesday it would be expanding health screenings to 20 US airports."

Hong Kong infectious disease experts are urging the government to take “draconian” measures against the spread of the deadly new
coronavirus
from the mainland Chinese city of Wuhan, citing research estimating that 44,000 patients could be infected there – far higher than official figures.
University of Hong Kong academics on Monday estimated that the number of patients in Wuhan had reached 43,590 by Saturday, including those in the incubation stage of the virus, which causes pneumonia.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Hong Kong infectious disease experts are urging the government to take “draconian” measures against the spread of the deadly new
coronavirus
from the mainland Chinese city of Wuhan, citing research estimating that 44,000 patients could be infected there – far higher than official figures.
University of Hong Kong academics on Monday estimated that the number of patients in Wuhan had reached 43,590 by Saturday, including those in the incubation stage of the virus, which causes pneumonia.

Jon Read's analysis estimated 100,000 either infected or merely carrying the virus by the 22nd of January. Though he does point to the timescale of the official figures with some skepticism.

First death was earlier then thought though on the 8th of December. They must have known it was unusual and a new outbreak quite early, not sure how long it takes to isolate a virus but I'm guessing weeks.

Meanwhile the Chinese government think their quarantine efforts are working but again this has been questioned seeing as there is a lack off testing and it appears that people are avoiding the hospitals, oddly enough, like the plague.

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs
It has been said that if it spreads and and kills 1 in 50 most of us will survive but we will all know someone that dies from this virus .
Isnt there also a joke that 1 in 50 are Chinese, its not me, I dont think its my sister Doris, maybe its brother Chan?

Jon Read's analysis estimated 100,000 either infected or merely carrying the virus by the 22nd of January. Though he does point to the timescale of the official figures with some skepticism.

First death was earlier then thought though on the 8th of December. They must have known it was unusual and a new outbreak quite early, not sure how long it takes to isolate a virus but I'm guessing weeks.

Meanwhile the Chinese government think their quarantine efforts are working but again this has been questioned seeing as there is a lack off testing and it appears that people are avoiding the hospitals, oddly enough, like the plague.
I don't, for a minute, think that the quarantine will be effective. Tens of millions have traveled,both internally and internationally, over Chinese new year and will be doing so again to return home over the coming days. China has extended the public holiday until Feb 2nd so try and prevent everyone traveling at the same time but I have zero confidence that this will have any measurable effect on transmission rates. Here in HK everyone is working from home this week (Monday and Tuesday were public holidays), civil service is closed until Feb 2nd and schools suspended until Fen 17th. I have no doubt that all of these will be extended.

Speaking with people who were here during the SARS outbreak it seems that life went on, to a large degree, as normal with people making sure that they took precautions at all times. Whether or not this will be feasible this time remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Friends of mine who live in Shanghai (teachers) have just announced that all schools are closed and lessons will be done online so they're coming home to Scotland for the duration.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't, for a minute, think that the quarantine will be effective. Tens of millions have traveled,both internally and internationally, over Chinese new year and will be doing so again to return home over the coming days. China has extended the public holiday until Feb 2nd so try and prevent everyone traveling at the same time but I have zero confidence that this will have any measurable effect on transmission rates. Here in HK everyone is working from home this week (Monday and Tuesday were public holidays), civil service is closed until Feb 2nd and schools suspended until Fen 17th. I have no doubt that all of these will be extended.

Speaking with people who were here during the SARS outbreak it seems that life went on, to a large degree, as normal with people making sure that they took precautions at all times. Whether or not this will be feasible this time remains to be seen.
Quite...

I suspect one of the problems is that only 20 percent of cases actually result in severe symptoms. Presumably pneomonia. No one yet has any clue what percent off people carry it without developing symptoms.

Hence people only go to the plague ridden hospitals when severe symptoms develop, whilst four times as many probably just stay in bed and hope and a further multiple don't even realise they are carrying it.

Clearly you can't quarantine an entire city, never mind a region with many cities in it. You can however cause the distribution and logistics network to grind to a halt. Any volunteers to drive a wagon load of food into the city? Or out of it as wuhan is a huge logistics hub. Imagine quarantining Birmingham in the same manner..

Suspect the main result will be civil disorder.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
A lot of the videos emerging from China seem to be on Tictoc... Some sort of dancing app apparently..

I presume this is due to censorship.. Some stuff getting out though..

A lot of the videos emerging from China seem to be on Tictoc... Some sort of dancing app apparently..

Sounds more like a Guards forum . . .

Is that blood on the floor?

Whoever's taking the video doesn't sound too healthy either...

According to the Telegraph, scientists at the Doherty Institute in Melbourne have successfully grown Coronavirus in a lab for the first time. This should allow faster development of a vaccine, and methods of testing that identify carriers who have not yet presented symptoms.

Latest Threads