MERS Coronavirus warning

Why not. They seem to eat everything else, and a rubber tyre would probably taste better than some of it.

'A viral video has emerged online of a Chinese woman gobbling a bat, which “play a critical role” in transmitting the deadly coronavirus, with a second video also featuring an alleged bowl of bat soup. The first gag-inducing clip features an unidentified woman at an undisclosed restaurant in the Wuhan province clutching what appears to be a fruit bat with chopsticks while nibbling its wing like chicken.

'Experts say bats are among the carriers of the coronavirus epidemic ravaging China. The deadly disease reportedly originated at Wuhan’s Huanan seafood market, which sold civets, snakes and other illegal exotic animals that had been infected by bats, reports Business Insider.

'The video comes after photos appeared of a Chinese market at the centre of the deadly coronavirus outbreak selling live animals – including wolf pups, foxes, rats and peacocks – to eat, according to a new report.'

I think we will pass on this one thanks.

Tastes like chicken. Probably.

And the best way to wipe out humanity is to have your disease start out in India or, uh... China.

Feck.

Africa, poor education standards, start it slowly so slips under the radar.
Played 3 games.
Total extinction game 1 in 843 days.

Game 2 was 678 days.

Game 3 was 593 days.

Just a contribution from across the pond.
ARCGIS produces a weekly report for disaster and public health people. I am retired but still on the distribution list.
ARCGIS
The link above has many links to reliable sources of information including the US CDC
CDC page re 2019 nCoV

One thing I noticed was that the interim guidance to US public health departments currently is to send samples to the CDC in Atlanta to identify the pathogen. This is early days in the outbreak and the reagents, primers and probes to perform reverse transcriptase - polymerase chain reaction testing to positively identify the strain of the pathogen at issue are currently only available at the CDC.

Starting in 1999 the CDC created the Laboratory Response Network(LRN). This is a network of about 120 government reference labs that are issued precisely the equipment used the CDC. The staff of the labs are trained by the CDC to use precisely the same detailed testing protocols used at the CDC and the testing is done with reagents, primers and probes produced by the CDC. There are about 100 reference labs in the US. The last time I checked there were 3 LRN labs in the UK, and 4 or 5 LRN labs in Canada and Australia.
I expect that the CDC has ramped up production of the primers and probes for 2019-nCoV and is shipping them first to LRN labs close to known cases.
The LRN was intended initially to prepare for possible bio-terror but is a very valuable tool for outbreaks like the current one.

I hope this is of some interest.

Death toll risen to 54 & confirmed cases in the following countries.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I found the whole mask thing weird as well at first, before going to Japan....and someone explained that some of them wear it when they catch a cold or something, to stop spreading it about...

Perhaps the Chinese ought to reconsider whether that's effective or not......

Apparently it’s a common advisory to wear them when traveling abroad. I took this photo in Algonquin park, Ontario, Canada in October 2019 when l stopped for a bite to eat. Thought it was odd for a bunch of Chinese tourists to be wearing these and was informed it was now a common practice when they travel to foreign lands.
The Irish bloke who is a teacher in Wuhan and who was interviewed on Channel 4 last night wears two masks and swimming goggles when out and about these days.

Perhaps the Chinese ought to reconsider whether that's effective or not......
Wearing a mask will effectively stop you breathing pathogens in and out, up to a point. The most likely vector for any disease is your hands. Regular and proper handwashing is the key.

Wearing a mask will effectively stop you breathing pathogens in and out, up to a point. The most likely vector for any disease is your hands. Regular and proper handwashing is the key.
Hand sanitiser is almost sold out in HK. I got 3 bottles today, because we live out from the main population areas, but even our supermarkets are almost sold out. Masks all sold out. I may well be asking Arrse for care packages before too long.

Hand sanitiser is almost sold out in HK. I got 3 bottles today, because we live out from the main population areas, but even our supermarkets are almost sold out. Masks all sold out. I may well be asking Arrse for care packages before too long.
I just caught a news broadcast stating there was a glut of fake masks coming on the market, 3M brand with expiry dates of 2nd June.

HK has plenty of its own shady cnuts so they're bound to turn up there sooner or later too.

Deserter

Old-Salt
I'm starting to believe we need some of this Chinese spirit over here, i mean they have built about 15 Heathrow sized airports in the last 20 or so years apparently and now we find out they can build a hospital in under a month....it seems to me the Chinese way of life is to let Politics be dealt with by the qualified and intelligent types and everyone else shuts their mouth and gets on with life in return you get a hospital at the end of your street within a week, the local hoodlums get carted of by the Police into a dungeon and murderers get shot in the head and the parents get the one dollar bill for the bullet...hands up who'd like some of that!....this is perhaps the reason why the liberals hate them, ie it might catch on.

It also seems to me we'd be half fvcking mad to pick a fight with people like that

Thats how they build bio weapons. Hang a deadly virus on the back of something which is seemingly innocuous, common and easily transmitted..........like hanging ebola on the back of the common cold.

I read up on it once, can't remember if it was this book or another book.

I suspect your thinking of Tom Clancys Rainbow 6 - where they weaponise Ebola.

That's exactly how that terrible movie with Matt Damon started out.

It looks as if cancelling the flights out of Wuhan wasn't quick enough, we've got a bloke down here in Aus infected with the disease arrive on a plane with about 200 other passengers. That's four confirmed cases now.

<tinfoil hat on> I'm glad I just got my new shotgun ready to go
Shotgun? Just remember you don't need to lead a Coronavirus much.

It was Clancy, but I’m sure it wasn’t ‘Rainbow Six’.
Damn, the name of the book escapes me right now, but it was the one where Jack Ryan becomes POTUS unexpectedly, after a JAL 747 is driven into the Capitol.
ETA: It was the Iranians wot weaponised Ebola in the book.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Wasn't Ebola the one before Rainbow 6? Nurse fights Ebola in Africa, "summoned to Rome to meet the Pope" they harvest the body fluids from her plane seat, from her and everyone who sits in the slightly damp seat afterward? Rainbow 6 set up thereafter and chased a threat to the Melbourne Olympics?

It was Clancy, but I’m sure it wasn’t ‘Rainbow Six’.
Damn, the name of the book escapes me right now, but it was the one where Jack Ryan becomes POTUS unexpectedly, after a JAL 747 is driven into the Capitol.
ETA: It was the Iranians wot weaponised Ebola in the book.
Ah yes - but no that's not the book I meant - In that book the Iranians spread Ebola in order to disable the US so they can strike into the Gulf -

In Rainbow 6** An environmental group weaponises Ebola by combining it with cancer cells iirc to increase its durability and ability to survive outside the body

**Accepting the name could be erroneous

Wasn't Ebola the one before Rainbow 6? Nurse fights Ebola in Africa, "summoned to Rome to meet the Pope" they harvest the body fluids from her plane seat, from her and everyone who sits in the slightly damp seat afterward? Rainbow 6 set up thereafter and chased a threat to the Melbourne Olympics?
Close - they harvest from the nurse but not the girl , Its (the girl) an Iraqi generals daughter who sits In a badly cleaned seat and rather than harvesting - its her and others shes in contact with that form the evidence trail to Iran - culminating in the Ryan** doctrine ie a Cruise through the guy in charges window

Rainbow was the Olympics - the disease was called Shiva - I recall it being Ebola based - but perhaps I confused the two
**Hence forth to be referred to as the Trump doctrine

Ah yes - but no that's not the book I meant - In that book the Iranians spread Ebola in order to disable the US so they can strike into the Gulf -

In Rainbow 6** An environmental group weaponises Ebola by combining it with cancer cells iirc to increase its durability and ability to survive outside the body

**Accepting the name could be erroneous
Ah right. Thanks.

The funny thing about that is hand sanitiser's far less effective than water and detergent. It has the effect of sealing in whatever bacteria's already on the hands, and the average person misses huge areas when rubbing it on - the thumbs and fingertips especially. There's really not much benefit to using the gel more than twice during a shift.

Latest Threads