MERS Coronavirus warning

4(T)

LE
The only thing I'm concerned about is the wine cellar becoming depleted, so this is a good excuse to Mrs S.O. that we need to increase its capacity.
View attachment 452356

We've done our risk/prep analysis and realise that our critical resource issues are red wine and cat food.

After all, humans can eat boiled grass if its washed down with a nice Merlot (and we've got plenty of lawn), but ma-in-laws moggie will become the fifth rider of the Apocalypse if he doesn't get his endangered tuna morsels sautéed in ambrosia of the gods, packaged in the expensive gold coloured tin.

(I've tried to point out to him that his feline siblings were routinely scoffed during the siege of Leningrad - he is in fact a Russian ex-feral stray - but he's not having any of that nonsense now that he lives in bourgeois England)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I see the micks have postponed the Italy game. Seems a bit daft as it's in Dublin. Still, a great example of EU solidarity and freedom of movement.
With hotels and tickets already booked, the empty Aviva stadium is going to be the safest place in Dublin.
The place is going to be stuffed with drinking rugby fans, unencumbered by having to actually watch the match.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
What's daft about it? I doubt they want a few thousand Italians wandering around Dublin, possibly infecting the locals.
Never mind that, Belfast is 100 mile up the coast and I don't really fancy it coming up here over a porous border.

Can individual nations legally prevent other EU nationals freely travelling within the EU in an event of a mass pandemic, this breaking the Freedom of Movement legislation in the EU rulebook?
Nothing to worry about with Ulster home grown rugby fans returning home. Just some sneaky disease ridden foreigner sneaking in through an unapproved Road.

Re-infection time

Depending on the nature of the original test, that could be very bad news for any hopes of a quick vaccine

I invested in two small bottles of hand sanitiser. I can (at worst case) make face masks by cutting up an old shirt - and I have a couple of weeks food in the house with what's normally in the freezer and in tinned and packet goods.

And that's the extent of my panic protective measures.

In addition, the fatality figures I've seen suggest a very minimal chance I'll die from it.

But hysteria stalks the land,,,

Wordsmith
As always, it is not the reality of an epidemic that causes the problems, it is the accompanying irrational fear and actions of the unwashed masses that cause concern.

Depending on the nature of the original test, that could be very bad news for any hopes of a quick vaccine
Yep, if correct, that puts a real crinkle in things, with a rapidly mutating contagion.

As has been already discussed here

There are more deaths from the "Normal Flu" annually - so what is all the panic about - Government(s) lock down action - cruise ship / hotel quarantine etc

What if someones does, what you do when you catch the Normal Flu" stay at home in bed

Is the Governments concern is that, if you catch the virus you have to be hospital to be in the 98% not at all clear in any of the reporting.

Archie

As has been already discussed here

There are more deaths from the "Normal Flu" annually - so what is all the panic about - Government(s) lock down action - cruise ship / hotel quarantine etc

What if someones does, what you do when you catch the Normal Flu" stay at home in bed

Is the Governments concern is that, if you catch the virus you have to be hospital to be in the 98% not at all clear in any of the reporting.

Archie
An English speaking doctor from Wuhan discusses the treatment here
You can skip the first 3 minutes if you are in a hurry.

Yep, if correct, that puts a real crinkle in things, with a rapidly mutating contagion.
Either that or the human (or her) immune response fades rather quickly for COVID-19. Either way, you're right, potentially worrying

Now this is very handy....

Pendant corner; it’s a RNA based virus; not DNA.
Fair point. I used DNA more or less on autopilot.

Viruses can be both DNA or RNA (or both at different stages) but yes, the COVID and the majority of viruses are RNA based.

Either that or the human (or her) immune response fades rather quickly for COVID-19. Either way, you're right, potentially worrying

It is worrying if the virus is rapidly mutating. Always a problem with those viruses that use RNA as their genetic material.

It might be that recovery in this woman is due to a combination of the non specific immune response and partial compatibility of antibody receptors with the Covid virus antigens. This would make her susceptible to second infection due to a lack of memory cells with the correct antigen receptors.

In other words, as we have no precursor cells for producing the correct antibody making cells*, the correct antibodies cannot be made. We rely on partially fitting antibodies to overcome the disease causing organism and can't make an immunological memory to fight it again.

* the precursor cells are manufactured/able to be manufactured based on the genetic memory we gain through our heredity from our parents and theirs and so on back to when we were living in trees.

In this case a vaccine could be made.

This is why people in the new world often died of things like the flu or common cold ( Eskimos) when first exposed to these pathogens....no genetic memory to make the correct (B4) Lymphocytes which make , afte differentiation to plasma cells, the antibodies.

Apologies if a bit long winded here. Too used to speaking in gobbledegook.

Nothing to worry about with Ulster home grown rugby fans returning home. Just some sneaky disease ridden foreigner sneaking in through an unapproved Road.
Who mentioned anything about a foreigner sneaking in with an infection?

I was talking about the free movement across the border by Northern and Southern Irish citizens, should the ROI start to present with cases.

And for the record, I think all travel to any country with growing numbers of Covid-19, should be on a travel ban, for the safety of the rest of the population.

Now this is very handy....
Interesting. I wonder if distribution curve of the confirmed cases matches the general population distribution, if not I'd be curious as to why not. I.e why are 50-59 year olds three times as likely to be infected than a 20-29 year old. Hopefully that might be down to specific chinese factors. If not then that it does worry me personally (although the lethality seems quite low)

Interesting. I wonder if distribution curve of the confirmed cases matches the general population distribution, if not I'd be curious as to why not. I.e why are 50-59 year olds three times as likely to be infected than a 20-29 year old. Hopefully that might be down to specific chinese factors. If not then that it does worry me personally (although the lethality seems quite low)
It has already been widely reported that healthy people have very few, if any symptoms at all.
The fatalities in Italy suggest that healthy people will not die of this virus. All the victims so far have had underlying serious illness or infirmity and would probably have died soon anyway (see post #2352 on page 118 of this thread).

I had a semi auto shotgun many years ago and it was 3 total 2** +1 - I doubt given UK gun laws and the antis its increased.

**IIRC achieved by a Crimp in the magazine

Edit beaten to it - must scroll in future
Thanks for the correction. What is the logic for 2+1?
Why not 3+1? Having only one extra shell hardly seems worth it, or is that the point?

It has already been widely reported that healthy people have very few, if any symptoms at all.
The fatalities in Italy suggest that healthy people will not die of this virus. All the victims so far have had underlying serious illness or infirmity and would probably have died soon anyway (see post #2352 on page 118 of this thread).
Ta,

So my interpretation of that is confirmed cases are more likely to be showing symptoms. I.e. the 20-29 yo cohort could be just as infected but as they're generally healthier, they'd show few symptoms and therefore wouldn't show up in the confirmed cases numbers. In some ways that's even more of a problem given the asymptomatic contagion of the virus.

People in their 20's tend to be anti social and spend all winter at home playing computers and talking to each other via Facebook? :)

Ta,

So my interpretation of that is confirmed cases are more likely to be showing symptoms. I.e. the 20-29 yo cohort could be just as infected but as they're generally healthier, they'd show few symptoms and therefore wouldn't show up in the confirmed cases numbers. In some ways that's even more of a problem given the asymptomatic contagion of the virus.
Many tested positive have no symptoms at all. Not really a problem as it appears to be such a mild infection that many people won't even be aware they have it.

More action/reaction in Japan. Bet the kids are overjoyed: the parents probably less so!

'Japan has announced the closure of all schools nationwide to help control the spread of the new coronavirus. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he asked all primary, middle and high schools to remain closed until spring holidays begin in late March.

'The measure comes amid growing concern about the rise in the number of untraceable cases in northern Japan and elsewhere. Japan now has more than 890 cases, including 705 from a quarantined cruise ship.'

Latest Threads