MERS Coronavirus warning

The following story is mainly about the transfer of patients from Saskatchewan to the much larger province of Ontario. That in itself isn't interesting but it mentions that one of the patients being transferred was a candidate for the People's Party of Canada (PPC) in the recent federal election.

The PPC cultivated the anti-vaxx and general lunatic fringe vote during the election. They won no seats but attracted a fair bit of attention and publicity.

Mark Friesen ran as PPC candidate for the riding of Saskatoon–Grasswood in Saskatchewan. He had promoted protests against COVID-19 restrictions throughout the pandemic, and was part of a group suing the province over claims that a proof of vaccination policy was against their civil rights.

Unlike the other anti-vaxxer whose story I posted above, I suspect that this one won't admit he's wrong (assuming he survives) and will engage in some strenuous mental gymnastics to try to justify himself.

Mark Friesen, the former People's Party of Canada (PPC) candidate for the riding of Saskatoon–Grasswood, was one of the first six intensive care patients in the province sent to Ontario this week, supporters confirmed in a Facebook live Thursday evening.

"You know Mark — he's fighting hard, he's doing great," supporter Tamara Lavoie said during the live stream. "All the updates that we get, he's improving; his oxygen needs are down."

According to Lavoie, Friesen was first hospitalized for pneumonia in Saskatoon about three weeks ago, before getting moved to an ICU at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto Wednesday night.

Last month, Friesen was part of a group that lost a court challenge arguing the province's proof-of-vaccination policy is in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Throughout the pandemic, he also promoted protests against COVID-19 public health restrictions — including one last December in Saskatoon that ended in a fine against the organizer.

At Friday's technical briefing, the province confirmed the Saskatchewan ICU patients transferred to Ontario had been hospitalized due to COVID-19.

New (anti)-records in Russia. 37678 infected the last day. 1075 died. Mortality rate is approaching to 3%.
I have several questions I hope you can answer.

1. What are the political effects of the current health crisis in Russia?
  2. Who do people blame for the management of the pandemic, regional or federal authorities, or both?
  3. What is the reason for the low vaccination take up in Russia? Is it fear of the vaccine? Is it a gesture of defiance against the authorities? Is it an attitude of "it won't affect me"? Or is it something else?
  4. Do a significant number of people in Russia distrust Russian vaccines? If so, how do these same people feel about foreign vaccines?
I hope you are doing well, and that you and your family have had your jabs.

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
The following story is about allergic reactions to vaccines.
Canadians who had allergic reaction to first vaccine dose can safely get second, advisory committee says

In a few rare instances (0.4 to 1.8 cases per million) people have had allergic reactions to their first jab. However, according to Canada's health authorities most people who have an immediate allergic reaction to the first jab don't have one to the second.

Due to this the health authorities are now recommending that anyone who had an allergic reaction to the first jab should now be safe to go ahead and get the second jab.

However, before getting their second jab they should consult their doctor, and they should be under observation for a half hour after the second jab rather than the standard 15 minutes.
In my case @terminal it's the polyethylene glycol that I'm allergic to not the main medicine in Pfizer vaccine . So severe was the reaction the drs treating me that they have said definitely no more PFIzer because of the PEG .

I'll have boosters and vaccinations in the future and I have no concern about having them , I just don't want covid ! Or flu either come to think of it.

The following is a story of an anti-vaxxer who now regrets his views with respect to the COVID-19 vaccine now that his pregnant wife is in hospital in a coma with COVID-19.
Husband regrets anti-vaxx stance as pregnant wife lies in a coma 800 km from home

The story consists of an interview with a man who was a self-described anti-vaxxer until his pregnant wife ended up in hospital with COVID-19. She is currently on an ECMO machine, which is a step beyond being on a ventilator. The machine infuses oxygen directly into the blood.

The family lives in a remote area of norther BC Canada, and his wife is in hospital in New Westminster (Vancouver area) 800 km away. He is having to explain to his children age 11 and 3 why their mother isn't home.

They had both started talking to their doctor about vaccination when their 11 year old came home with mild flu-like symptoms at the beginning of this month. However, it was too late and they both tested positive the following week.

The interview itself is fairly interesting. In it he described his motivations for being against vaccination. He had felt a lot of uncertainty about the safety of the vaccine and so was taking a "wait and see" attitude towards it.

Another major factor was that he felt their part of the province was generally neglected and ignored by the provincial government due to being much smaller than the major cities. He felt that not getting vaccinated was a means of showing defiance to the authorities.

He feels that people like him will listen to the government more if they in turn felt listened to rather than being told "do it or else".

He finishes off by urging everyone to get vaccinated. He said that getting vaccinated is important to saving the lives of your friends and family. He said that if he could go back in time a few months he and his whole family would get vaccinated and he is sure his wife would be fine now.

It's a good story and worth reading.
Call me jaded or a cünt, but the only people l feel sorry for in that situation are the baby and children, this has been going on long enough that they made a decision which will in all likelihood cost two lives and it was nobody’s choice but theirs. I find it funny that part of the excuse is still blaming the government which is typical for an anti-vaxxer, old habits die hard it seems.

And accessing local and central government services as soon as it all goes horribly wrong.

There is no directly French word for schadenfreude, just a loose translation (accompanied by a smirk normally) but my heart has been touched by a locally reported story.
Local bistro owner two towns away has always been very vocal in local press and social media.
Always a rebel, seldom with a decent cause.
Local Mayor discovered he refuses to be jabbed, nor enforce the mask/Covid pass in his gaff.
Shut by order until further notice.
Other sanctions are being considered.

Just a year too late in my humble opinion, should have happened long ago.

Call me jaded or a cünt, but the only people l feel sorry for in that situation are the baby and children, this has been going on long enough that they made a decision which will in all likelihood cost two lives and it was nobody’s choice but theirs. I find it funny that part of the excuse is still blaming the government which is typical for an anti-vaxxer, old habits die hard it seems.
The case of the guy in BC makes for an interesting contrast with the one in Saskatchewan. The first is what I would call a "soft core" ant-vaxxer, while the second is definitely hard core.

The first kind you may be able to convince to get jabbed. He was even taking the first steps towards doing so once one of his kids came home with symptoms and the existence of COVID-19 was suddenly first hand rather than something he was hearing about in the news. What he really needed was someone to talk to and perhaps listen to some of his personal problems.

The guy in Saskatchewan though is the sort you are unlikely to ever get through to. His whole existence is wrapped up in being a total knob and only death is likely to change that. For him he probably sees the pandemic as being a god-send as it gives him an excuse to do what he wants to do anyway (be a knob) and makes him feel like a courageous fighter for "freedumb" rather than just the garden variety knob that he is.

I have several questions I hope you can answer.

1. What are the political effects of the current health crisis in Russia?
  2. Who do people blame for the management of the pandemic, regional or federal authorities, or both?
  3. What is the reason for the low vaccination take up in Russia? Is it fear of the vaccine? Is it a gesture of defiance against the authorities? Is it an attitude of "it won't affect me"? Or is it something else?
  4. Do a significant number of people in Russia distrust Russian vaccines? If so, how do these same people feel about foreign vaccines?
I hope you are doing well, and that you and your family have had your jabs.
First of all news. Mr.Lokot communist mayor of the city of Novosibirsk (1.5 mln) vaccinated in March and planned revaccination. However, now he is in hospital with Covid. But his heath is not affected and the mayor plans to return to service soon. He is a rare example of a politician who actively promotes vaccination.
1. Covid-19 issue almost vanished from Russian TV and mass media but now it is a theme number one. As Russian political system is moving from hidden to partly open dictatorship with staged 'elections' then political effects are mostly irrelevant.
2. Nobody blames the authorities. From my point of view the people have to blame themselves, as vaccination was available to pensioners from January and for anybody from March. Those who wish to be vaccinated could do it immediately.
3. Rumours, traditional distrust to the authorities contributed to low level of vaccination in Russia - only 36%. The authorities themselves in many cases don't show positive example. Only 62% of MPs are vaccinated and now 12 lawmakers have covid. Also it should be said that fatalism and low discipline are features of Russian mentality.
4. Data from Argentine where 11 mln. jabs were done and local production of Russian vaccine was launched show that Russian vaccine Sputnik V is sufficiently efficient and safe. The Russians who avoid vaccination don't trust any vaccine.

Thanks. I'm OK and continue my self isolation in my small brick house not far from the New Jerusalem monastery in Moscow region. I plan revaccination in January or February.
I wish you, all ARRSErs, their dear ones good health and all the best.
----
Again just now Russia 24 TV channel begins news from events on the Covid front.

Last edited:
The case of the guy in BC makes for an interesting contrast with the one in Saskatchewan. The first is what I would call a "soft core" ant-vaxxer, while the second is definitely hard core.

The first kind you may be able to convince to get jabbed. He was even taking the first steps towards doing so once one of his kids came home with symptoms and the existence of COVID-19 was suddenly first hand rather than something he was hearing about in the news. What he really needed was someone to talk to and perhaps listen to some of his personal problems.

The guy in Saskatchewan though is the sort you are unlikely to ever get through to. His whole existence is wrapped up in being a total knob and only death is likely to change that. For him he probably sees the pandemic as being a god-send as it gives him an excuse to do what he wants to do anyway (be a knob) and makes him feel like a courageous fighter for "freedumb" rather than just the garden variety knob that he is.

Given everything that has happened in the last 20 months, if someone has to be "convinced to get jabbed" then whatever happens to them is natural selection. I have zero sympathy. The only sympathy I have is that they may be depriving a deserving person of a hospital bed.

In my case @terminal it's the polyethylene glycol that I'm allergic to not the main medicine in Pfizer vaccine . So severe was the reaction the drs treating me that they have said definitely no more PFIzer because of the PEG .

I'll have boosters and vaccinations in the future and I have no concern about having them , I just don't want covid ! Or flu either come to think of it.
Is there any reason they wouldn't give you the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine? That one doesn't have PEG in it, it has something else that does the same job. If I recall correctly in Canada we were giving people who had PEG allergies Oxford-AstraZeneca instead.

Now some people have an allergy to the component in Oxford-AstraZeneca, but they of course can then be given Pfizer-Biontech or Moderna instead. I haven't read about any cases of anyone having an allergy to both.

Given everything that has happened in the last 20 months, if someone has to be "convinced to get jabbed" then whatever happens to them is natural selection. I have zero sympathy. The only sympathy I have is that they may be depriving a deserving person of a hospital bed.
As mentioned in the story (and in my original post about it), the guy in BC had changed his mind because one of his kids was showing mild symptoms and had tested positive. He had booked an appointment with his doctor for he and his wife to talk about it. It was too late by then however, and they both tested positive before they could get vaccinated, and she ended up in hospital.

He is without question the author of his own misfortune. However it does show that there are "soft core" anti-vaxxers who can be swayed to get their jabs. "Vaccine passports" are believed to have the side effect of persuading some of them to do so.

I previously, some months ago I believe, posted a story in which health experts said that the hard core anti-vaxxers are only a portion of the unvaccinated at that we should be looking at measures which will encourage the soft core to get jabbed. These two stories seem to provide an illustration of that.

As mentioned in the story (and in my original post about it), the guy in BC had changed his mind because one of his kids was showing mild symptoms and had tested positive. He had booked an appointment with his doctor for he and his wife to talk about it. It was too late by then however, and they both tested positive before they could get vaccinated, and she ended up in hospital.

He is without question the author of his own misfortune. However it does show that there are "soft core" anti-vaxxers who can be swayed to get their jabs. "Vaccine passports" are believed to have the side effect of persuading some of them to do so.

I previously, some months ago I believe, posted a story in which health experts said that the hard core anti-vaxxers are only a portion of the unvaccinated at that we should be looking at measures which will encourage the soft core to get jabbed. These two stories seem to provide an illustration of that.

I'm truly not arguing with you here, but what the heck in the last 20 months of an apocalyptic breakdown of society as we know it are they not getting? Whether we like it or not the only path out of this is vaccines. If they cannot reconcile those two items "pour encourager les autres" then honestly, what on earth is the purpose of having them on this planet? Mostly rhetorical here now :)

Last edited:
The so-called Delta Plus variant, seen in UK and Russia, has now been identified in Catalonia with 5 cases.
In our region, Valencia, the cumulative case records have risen from 34.8 cases per 100,000 to 43.68 in the two weeks since the majority of restrictions were lifted (just facemasks indoors and social distancing remain) and the number of cases this week has risen to 1,495 in the week compared to 895 the previous week.

Benidorm cases are still on the rise and have risen to over 250 in 100,000 which is now 6 times the national rate. Local Spanish press seem torn between blaming the influx of British tourists or the easing of restrictions.

For the first time in over a month, the number of hospitalised outnumbers those discharged and a rise of 125 has been noted. Those in ICU have risen from 35 to 52 but the number of deaths for Friday stays the same as last week with 3. Health reported that the 3 who died last Friday were aged between 39 and 70 and all 3 were unvaccinated but haven't given any details on those who died this Friday.

As of today, 90% of the total population over the age of 12 have had both vaccines. Over 95% of the elderly in residential homes have received the booster and "a significant number (not specified)" of those with lowered immunity systems have has received it. As mentioned on another thread, the good lady and I have received appointments to go for the booster and the flu vaccine at the same time on November 5th. Flu season in Spain doesn't normally kick off until later December with Jan and Feb the worst (about 7,500 die every flu season in Spain although last year the figures were less than 100.

Like reports from other countries, Spain had and anti vaxxer who died from Covid. A 46 year professional motorcyclist from Majorca died in a hospital in Valencia. This was about a month ago but the press are quoting him for his anti vaxx views and spreading conspiracy theories about the pandemic. Apparently, as his condition worsened (he was ill for 45 days) he had cause to rethink his Covid denial.

"He had suddenly been given one of his greatest life lessons. "Spending a lot of time on Twitter, etc. radicalized me to the extreme. I wish I had been vaccinated."

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
Is there any reason they wouldn't give you the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine? That one doesn't have PEG in it, it has something else that does the same job. If I recall correctly in Canada we were giving people who had PEG allergies Oxford-AstraZeneca instead.

Now some people have an allergy to the component in Oxford-AstraZeneca, but they of course can then be given Pfizer-Biontech or Moderna instead. I haven't read about any cases of anyone having an allergy to both.
A long story cut short .

I had a severe reaction/ anaphylaxis in 2018 which was thought to be caused by PEG and had subsequent breathing problems/ allergic reactions to small amounts of peg .

Fast forward to May 2021 and I was tested at a proper NHS immunology dept with a skin prick test , hospital not sure if they'd got the testing right, but declared me to be not allergic to it and sent me a letter saying we've discussed this and we are confident you aren't allergic, don't know whwt caused the anaphylaxis but we are saying use PEG products,

I started to use skin care stuff with PEG but stopped because I had rashes and runny eyes n nose and itching. I thought well maybe I'm overreacting to it mentally.

I had my jabs in February and April Before the testing was done and so had the Astra Zeneca one for both jabs.,
I get called up for booster and ask if I can have an astra Z one but was told they coukdht get one. Because. I'm clinically vulnerable and have asthma and had recurrent chest jnfectjons and pneumonia over the last two years covid was the last thing I wanted.
So I decided to go for the Pfizer on the grounds that f A) I was categorically told you aren't allergic to. PEG and B they can treat a reaction but they might not be able to help me. With covid . So, I told the Drs and the nurses at the centre and as a precaution I took a high amount of steroids and antihistamine that morning.

So I had the vaccine at 12.15 and by 12.20 is the symptoms started, At first it didn't seem too bad then within 10 mins BP went from v high to very low so I had adrenaline, more antihistamine injected . Ambulance called, on way to his which was a short journey I dipped again and had breathing difficulties so it was decided to be given more adrenaline and antihistamine. Taken straight to resus .
Was treated very promptly as I was seriously cold but flushed,, shaking violently and in a small state of shock,. Heart rate v high BP low v tight chest and throat .
Five hours later it all kicked off again and throat started to close - this type of reaction is called bi phasic . More steroids, nebuliser and antihistamine given. It then settled and I went home,
Feel like I've been steam rollered and v v tired. Arm hurts from jab and had a feverish night with a headache this afternoon and extreme tiredness combined with feeling irritable and tearful . I just hope the vaccine works because sometimes vaccines I have had in the past don't work :( .

A long story cut short .

I had a severe reaction/ anaphylaxis in 2018 which was thought to be caused by PEG and had subsequent breathing problems/ allergic reactions to small amounts of peg .

Fast forward to May 2021 and I was tested at a proper NHS immunology dept with a skin prick test , hospital not sure if they'd got the testing right, but declared me to be not allergic to it and sent me a letter saying we've discussed this and we are confident you aren't allergic, don't know whwt caused the anaphylaxis but we are saying use PEG products,

I started to use skin care stuff with PEG but stopped because I had rashes and runny eyes n nose and itching. I thought well maybe I'm overreacting to it mentally.

I had my jabs in February and April Before the testing was done and so had the Astra Zeneca one for both jabs.,
I get called up for booster and ask if I can have an astra Z one but was told they coukdht get one. Because. I'm clinically vulnerable and have asthma and had recurrent chest jnfectjons and pneumonia over the last two years covid was the last thing I wanted.
So I decided to go for the Pfizer on the grounds that f A) I was categorically told you aren't allergic to. PEG and B they can treat a reaction but they might not be able to help me. With covid . So, I told the Drs and the nurses at the centre and as a precaution I took a high amount of steroids and antihistamine that morning.

So I had the vaccine at 12.15 and by 12.20 is the symptoms started, At first it didn't seem too bad then within 10 mins BP went from v high to very low so I had adrenaline, more antihistamine injected . Ambulance called, on way to his which was a short journey I dipped again and had breathing difficulties so it was decided to be given more adrenaline and antihistamine. Taken straight to resus .
Was treated very promptly as I was seriously cold but flushed,, shaking violently and in a small state of shock,. Heart rate v high BP low v tight chest and throat .
Five hours later it all kicked off again and throat started to close - this type of reaction is called bi phasic . More steroids, nebuliser and antihistamine given. It then settled and I went home,
Feel like I've been steam rollered and v v tired. Arm hurts from jab and had a feverish night with a headache this afternoon and extreme tiredness combined with feeling irritable and tearful . I just hope the vaccine works because sometimes vaccines I have had in the past don't work :( .
I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems and I hope that you're alright.

About a week ago I posted the following story before which discusses allergic reactions in Canada.
Vaccine allergy? Experts say most past reactions not valid reason for exemptions
It mentions that people who have allergic reactions are referred to an allergist, and it gives an example of how they can vaccinate people with allergies. The allergist splits the jab up into smaller doses and give it a bit at a time over the course of hours, monitoring the effects.

Jeimy said her clinic has been able to vaccinate "about 99 per cent" of people coming in with allergy concerns.

That includes those who have had real, severe reactions to a first COVID-19 vaccine dose.

Allergists work around this by giving someone with a confirmed allergy small amounts of the dose, separated by 15- to 30-minute observation periods, until dosing is done.

Jeimy said it can take hours to complete a graded administration for extreme cases.

"If I think the patient is at a moderate risk of reaction, I'll divide the vaccine up into three or four doses," she said. "If the patient is at a higher risk, I'll make the dosing even longer."

I'm not going to play Internet doctor and so won't say this is applicable in your case, but I thought you would find it interesting.

Here is the COVID-19 summary for Saturday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Saturday

In Canada, members of the Canadian Armed Forces are being deployed to Saskatchewan to help with their COVID-19 situation. They will also help evacuate patients to Ontario. The province has one of the lowest vaccination rates in Canada (66 per cent of the total population) and the government made a mess of their pandemic control measures during the summer, cancelling most restrictions. They currently have more people hospitalized than Ontario despite the latter province being more than 12 times their size. Things may continue to get worse.
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will be deployed to Saskatchewan to help battle the province's fourth wave of COVID-19.

The CAF said Saturday that up to six critical care nursing officers will be deployed to intensive care units in the province, and that it will "provide aeromedical transport" for patient transfers within and outside Saskatchewan.

Congo received 759,000 doses of Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In Africa, Congo received 756,000 doses of the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine, according to the Africa CDC.

Austria may increase lockdown measures for unvaccinated people if case numbers continue to increase.
In Europe, Austria's chancellor has warned that unvaccinated people could face new lockdown restrictions if coronavirus case numbers continue to rise.

Sri Lanka will give third jabs to the elderly and front line health workers.
In Asia, Sri Lanka announced plans to offer booster shots to front-line workers and the elderly as the island nation gears up to ease restrictions further.

The US will allow people to choose which vaccine to get for their third jab, but recommend staying with the same one as their first two.
In the Americas, White House chief medical adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci says Americans can choose a COVID-19 booster shot that is different from their original inoculation but the recommendation is to stick with the vaccine they got first if it is available.

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems and I hope that you're alright.

About a week ago I posted the following story before which discusses allergic reactions in Canada.
Vaccine allergy? Experts say most past reactions not valid reason for exemptions
It mentions that people who have allergic reactions are referred to an allergist, and it gives an example of how they can vaccinate people with allergies. The allergist splits the jab up into smaller doses and give it a bit at a time over the course of hours, monitoring the effects.

I'm not going to play Internet doctor and so won't say this is applicable in your case, but I thought you would find it interesting.
Thank you Terminal for posting this, it might be a way forward because PEG is in so many medicines and therefore limits my choices.
I have had that done with another drug I had problems with, which didn't have any PEG in it.
I'd rather have the Pfizer as apart from the reaction to PEG I've only had a sore arm , slight headache and mild fever .,With the AZ both times I was very poorly and had a chest infection both times afterwards the first one landing me in hospital with pneumonia.
I'm okay now though, just very very shattered.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
New (anti)-records in Russia. 37678 infected the last day. 1075 died. Mortality rate is approaching to 3%.
Hope you and your loved ones are in good health KGB.

With various tensions gradually building up in the world and only certain information being allowed to cross borders, its the effect on the normal person on the street, the average family, who tend to get glossed over and ignored during this.

IS it still the case that there is outright distrust or uneasiness over a state supplied vaccine or are there still over factors in the mix, such as the belief amongst younger people that they do not need the vaccine and its only the old the infirm that die.....having seen a number of young and relatively healthy people now struck down with various after effects of Covid such as Type 2 Diabetes.....from no apparent diabetes to now at such a level that they require electronic monitors to remind them to balance their blood sugar every few hours , I can say that is a false assumption.

I mentioned before about the young lad who was an instructor on a course I was on. He had one of these electronic monitors fitted and the device went off at least 4 times every day on the week long course. This was an alert that even though he was stringently taking his tablets and injections and sensible foods, his blood sugar was crashing. If you had an eye for it and have dealt with people having their mental health being battered at, it was obvious this lad was suffering mentally from this life changing effect from Covid, and I had a friendly chat with him during all the lunchtimes and hopefully steered him to some Mental health support. I even did the old " pull up a sandbag " and nattered about a few things where police and squaddies needed MH support.

Last edited:

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
A long story cut short .

Horrendous to hear and hope your body deals with this latest assault. How can they check if the vaccine has provided a resistance as intended for you or has been compromised?

Keep chin up.

Last edited:

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
Horrendous to hear and hope your body deals with this latest assault. How can they check if the vaccine has provided a resistance as intended for you or has been compromised?

Keep chin up.
Thank you BaldBaBoon :), I'm okay in myself, very tired and wobbly but I'm up and about and pretty chipper considering.
As to the vaccine I asked about that and apparently it should still provide anti bodies to the virus . I did have the headache, a slight fever and very sore arm so I think it's a sign it's been recognised within my body by my immune system .

Thanks for asking though:) .

Thank you BaldBaBoon :), I'm okay in myself, very tired and wobbly but I'm up and about and pretty chipper considering.
As to the vaccine I asked about that and apparently it should still provide anti bodies to the virus . I did have the headache, a slight fever and very sore arm so I think it's a sign it's been recognised within my body by my immune system .

Thanks for asking though:) .
From what I've read in the news, if you have mild fever, pains, etc. after vaccination (note I'm not talking about an allergic reaction) then that is because your immune system is responding strongly to it.

Latest Threads