MERS Coronavirus warning

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Some metrics for the disruption to shipping, supply lines and whatnot..

Imports, especially of dry bulk, falling off a cliff.

Exports well down and oil tankers being used as floating containers. Which may well cause issues with scheduling even if things return to normal soon.

Very much a developing situation with the shipping geek saying that another 2 weeks of this and we are in uncharted territory.

I would have thought that food and animal feed would be classed as dry bulk... Historically the Chinese fear famine far more than losing a few peasants due to a bug or two.

Exports well down and oil tankers being used as floating containers. Which may well cause issues with scheduling even if things return to normal soon.

Very much a developing situation with the shipping geek saying that another 2 weeks of this and we are in uncharted territory.

I would have thought that food and animal feed would be classed as dry bulk... Historically the Chinese fear famine far more than losing a few peasants due to a bug or two.
I see this bug going strong through March. I would say the world had best be ready to hunker down.

OK, so its stock up for 6 weeks then........

just off to get some more 22LR ammo for the bunnies!!

Savage... who wants ammo?
Me I think at this rate.....

US oil company Chevron has asked 300 traders at its Canary Wharf offices to stay home after an unwell employee was tested for the coronavirus.

The person was reportedly suffering flu-like symptoms and is awaiting test results.

Me I think at this rate.....

US oil company Chevron has asked 300 traders at its Canary Wharf offices to stay home after an unwell employee was tested for the coronavirus.

The person was reportedly suffering flu-like symptoms and is awaiting test results.
I would have a hygiene plan set up and stock up on water, batteries, candles, propane etc. How would you rate the utilities grid your way?

I would have a hygiene plan set up and stock up on water, batteries, candles, propane etc. How would you rate the utilities grid your way?

Shite. We are in the arse end of nowhere, says the man with enough water purifying tablets to service the needs of Greater London and the chess river about 200 yards from his house.

Shite. We are in the arse end of nowhere, says the man with enough water purifying tablets to service the needs of Greater London and the chess river about 200 yards from his house.
Propane and petrol stocks are decent? Nothing like using the grill to cook with as an emergency back up. Stock up on Lysol and bleach. If you don’t have small kids you should be ok. Schools and daycares will be ground zero!

Propane and petrol stocks are decent? Nothing like using the grill to cook with as an emergency back up. Stock up on Lysol and bleach. If you don’t have small kids you should be ok. Schools and daycares will be ground zero!
I'm taking the family upto the Mourne Mountains. Plenty of water from the Shimna River, fuel from Tullymore forest for a fire and loads of Sheep on the mountains, should the local butcher died from the chinky flu.

I'm taking the family upto the Mourne Mountains. Plenty of water from the Shimna River, fuel from Tullymore forest for a fire and loads of Sheep on the mountains, should the local butcher died from the chinky flu.
You could always eat him. Just a thought.

We always have petrol and diesel stocks because of where we live as well as propane, so we are OK on that front. Plenty of wood and coal in for the inglenook also, so we wont get cold when all the utilities have gone down :oops: . One of the benefits of living in the sticks is you have to be prepared for things failing - like the phones and electric, which are frequently shite.

I see the micks have postponed the Italy game. Seems a bit daft as it's in Dublin. Still, a great example of EU solidarity and freedom of movement.

You could always eat him. Just a thought.

We always have petrol and diesel stocks because of where we live as well as propane, so we are OK on that front. Plenty of wood and coal in for the inglenook also, so we wont get cold when all the utilities have gone down :oops: . One of the benefits of living in the sticks is you have to be prepared for things failing - like the phones and electric, which are frequently shite.
Being a suburbanite has a few pros and cons. Closer to the supply base and Starbucks. More people in the neighborhood to worry about though. But less fuel is required to get to anything vital so that would last a bit longer. But this is the time of the year to have a quarantine though, the weather naturally does most of the work and keeps people home.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
This is interesting...

From the flow chart only patients who presented or suspected with viral pneumonia were, and presumably are, given the test for covid19.

Which would explain why the study of the first 4000 patients showed 95% of them having pneumonia..

Also why the WHO say that 80% of cases are mild... Which must be from data elsewhere... Germany, UK etc who haven't seen explosions in the number or severity of cases.

I would imagine the other 5% of Chinese cases were party wonks and connected people, hence the chap who tested positive but took 46 days to actually show any symptoms.

Which would tend to mean that the 70 odd thousand cases reported in China are actually the tip of the iceberg, with over a quarter of a million having it but not having developed pneumonia.

Still raises some questions as they claim 20 thousand have recovered... But it takes longer that that to recover from pneumonia...

Also viral pneumonia has a death rate of 30% even in the UK so the figures look contrived no matter how you cut them.

OK, so its stock up for 6 weeks then........

just off to get some more 22LR ammo for the bunnies!!
Brilliant- Patient Zero of the new Species-jumping Myxomatosis Virus. I’ll see your flu-like symptoms and raise you big weepy bulging eyes and sitting around in the middle of the road trying to get run over:)

Dunno whether it’s been posted but this bit from Private Eye’s ‘MD’ medical columnist puts some perspective on the Coronavirus stuff:-
49F7AEF7-EBEE-4CF7-8CA4-9EAA10D0A037.jpeg

Latest Threads