MERS Coronavirus warning

Couldn't they just shout at people a bit more on twitter rather than them actually prosecuting them?
No charge (SWIDT)

I wonder how much trade is being disrupted ? A bloke I know gets all his raw materials from China and theres a big hold up now .
There was a map in one of the weeklies, it might have been The Economist showing the huge tonnage of ships laid up at anchor outside the main Chinese ports. Very little movement.

Public Health England have refused to rule out locking down British towns and public transport networks if it fails to contain the coronavirus.

Thousands of Britons will be tested by GPs for coronavirus, amid fears that the explosion of cases in Europe means there could be far more cases in the UK than are known about.

Erm how exactly do they intend to 'lock-down' a town?

I vote for Bradford, Rochdale and Oldham if we get the chance to have a say
How long before those of us in uniform have to start luring women into a stately home to start repopulating the country like in 28 Days Later? The army are always evil in these apocalypse films!

We have been trying to get hold of a prospective client in Italy for 4 days now as well as the management consultancy that we are working with and we are not getting replies to emails/calls/text messages. Now it could be that we have lost the business, but our man in in Switzerland who is dealing with it says it's not good - even though he is of the view a lot of it is media hype. He reckons people are seriously spooked.
As far as Switzerland goes, the responsible media is not hyping things up. The Government is playing things fairly low-key - the Health Minister did attend the meeting in Rome, yesterday, for countries bordering Italy - while making the necessary preparations: the main teaching hospital in Lausanne, for instance, claims it is all squared away in case of a major emergency.
Last week I visited a neighbour at the hospital in Yverdon-les-Bains and noticed some of the nursing staff wearing masks: on the whole they do anyway in the ‘grippe’ (‘flu) season.
Major multi-nationals (PMI, Nestlé, etc) as well as a couple of the private international schools are taking stricter measures, travel bans, self-isolation, etc, ditto Swatch but only as relates to staff at their establishments in Tessin.
SMEs aren’t overly bothered.
The only people I meet on a daily basis (I’m a museum guide in retirement - keeps me off the streets!) who are spooked are the non-Swiss and French.
On the Italian side, a great former colleague and friend - a senior investigator in Milan - tells me most people aren’t seriously worried, again it’s the ‘stranieri’ and media !
He also pointed me in the direction of a programme that recently aired, which certainly has not/will not help matters .
If you speak Italian do a search for ‘Il Vaso di Pandora’. I won’t translate it all here, suffice to say if you have shares in Alcan you’re quids in: the conspiracy includes, inter alia, the WHO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, British & American governments ( with military assistance), etc.
You’ll also find a lengthy piece on a site called ‘On Line’ debunking the ‘Pandora’ theory.
They are both fun reading.

Edit for clarity: ... who are spooked are the non-Swiss and non-French.

Last edited:
If you speak Italian do a search for ‘Il Vaso di Pandora’. I won’t translate it all here, suffice to say if you have shares in Alcan you’re quids in: the conspiracy includes, inter alia, the WHO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, British & American governments ( with military assistance), etc.
You’ll also find a lengthy piece on a site called ‘On Line’ debunking the ‘Pandora’ theory.
Any chance of links for those.

Searching for “on line” doesn’t exactly narrow it down.

Adding Pandora doesn’t help much either as it returns mostly jewellery sites.

How long before those of us in uniform have to start luring women into a stately home to start repopulating the country like in 28 Days Later? The army are always evil in these apocalypse films!
NEVER Volunteer! You're likely to be 'paired up' with the Abbotomus to maintain 'ethnic diversity in the gene pool'.

Any chance of links for those.

Searching for “on line” doesn’t exactly narrow it down.

Adding Pandora doesn’t help much either as it returns mostly jewellery sites.
Let’s see if this works.
‘Open Line’ debunking:
Interessante - ma

‘Vaso’:
I have it on WhatsApp and it’s too big a file for here.
I have had another look for it on Google, but it seems to be non c’e.
I’ll keep looking if you like.
The debunk gives a good flavour, though.

As far as Switzerland goes, the responsible media is not hyping things up. The Government is playing things fairly low-key - the Health Minister did attend the meeting in Rome, yesterday, for countries bordering Italy - while making the necessary preparations: the main teaching hospital in Lausanne, for instance, claims it is all squared away in case of a major emergency.
Last week I visited a neighbour at the hospital in Yverdon-les-Bains and noticed some of the nursing staff wearing masks: on the whole they do anyway in the ‘grippe’ (‘flu) season.
Major multi-nationals (PMI, Nestlé, etc) as well as a couple of the private international schools are taking stricter measures, travel bans, self-isolation, etc, ditto Swatch but only as relates to staff at their establishments in Tessin.
SMEs aren’t overly bothered.
The only people I meet on a daily basis (I’m a museum guide in retirement - keeps me off the streets!) who are spooked are the non-Swiss and French.
On the Italian side, a great former colleague and friend - a senior investigator in Milan - tells me most people aren’t seriously worried, again it’s the ‘stranieri’ and media !
He also pointed me in the direction of a programme that recently aired, which certainly has not/will not help matters .

Edit for clarity: ... who are spooked are the non-Swiss and non-French.
Just got back from hospital - a family member has been in for a random test. Anyway - the nurse and doctor dealing with said family member said, and I quote 'this isn't policy or NHS advice but we would strongly recommend you have a minimum of two weeks of provisions in your house. Hertfordshire is due a very heavy snowfall and I'd recommend you were adequately stocked up for a minimum of two weeks as its going to be very heavy snow'

That statement was made before the consultation and at the end of the consultation - so twice basically. Needless to say I googled the weather in Rickmansworth which is the nearest town to us and it says there may be some sleet on Thursday.......

If gentle advice about adverse weather is being given out, I wonder how long it is before the UK media frenzy starts re food shortages.......

I wonder how much trade is being disrupted ? A bloke I know gets all his raw materials from China and theres a big hold up now . Plus the fact that some folks might have cancelled their trips abroad etc it must come to a few bob. Can we sustain the loss of goods for a period of six months or a year do you think ??

I also remeber when friends of mine were visiting china in the 80s that they were told that china was TOTALY self sufficient in food supplies , which was a porker of giant proportions
I would imagine 2020 is going to be an economic write off.

My Mrs is going to be well impressed when I start breaking out the Mexican bean pasta and other assorted honking rat packs I've brought back from exercise and thrown in the back of the cupboard...

My Mrs is going to be well impressed when I start breaking out the Mexican bean pasta and other assorted honking rat packs I've brought back from exercise and thrown in the back of the cupboard...
MREs for variety?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Some good news for a change...

Clerics in Iran are refusing to close their religious shrines.

And I for one think they are quite right!

Can we all show our solidarity for their right to congregate together and ensure that their ailments are cured via religious means?

Fishbulb

Old-Salt
The numbers bother me. The virus has spread across the planet pretty rapidly but the totals and current rate of infection seem low. Is it just that the authorities have control over things?

4(T)

LE

Can we all show our solidarity for their right to congregate together and ensure that their ailments are cured via religious means?

I do think all the Lefties ought to congregate together and sing Kumbaya in solidarity.

As with everything to do with the Islamic world, they can do whatever the **** they like within their borders, just don't export it.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasn't there lots of problems for Deutsche bank based upon dodgy shipping loans? Could be more to come...

Don't worry though, they are French.

Latest Threads