MERS Coronavirus warning

View attachment 452142

With the conditions of the data being reported from China changing daily the trends look like its slowing down, yet with new transparent reporting in the World it could explode sharper
I wonder what the WHO would say if the mortality rate from the virus was say 2 or 3 times higher in the rest of the world other than China?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

It's worth taking a look at Dr. John Campbell's channel on YouTube, as he's apparently getting emails from associates in China and Iran. Reportedly the problem's much worse than the authorities are telling the world. As of the last update, Beijing is very quiet and movement is tightly restricted there, and the actual numbers of infections and deaths in Iran are being covered up.

Have we established a sweep stake (ie: all the loosers boots) for which Arrser catches/dies of the Kung Flu first?
Size 12, if anyone is interested.

They aren't kidding about Italy. largest outbreak outside of China

View attachment 452137
The word from Italian colleagues is that it only appears worse in Italy because the Italians are testing more people than other European countries. I flew into Milan from Singapore over a week ago and everyone coming off the flight was ben temperature scanned.

I wonder what the WHO would say if the mortality rate from the virus was say 2 or 3 times higher in the rest of the world other than China?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
I don't know about the WHO but the tinfoilers would have a field day.

R0B

Old-Salt
Be interesting to see how that plays in the US with its "no work, no pay" culture. I have seen people at work here who are not far off needing a hospital bed.
The company that I work for in the UK doesn't pay for being sick, well, technically it's at their discretion but in reality when people come back form sickness they're offered a choice between having the time off as holiday or un-paid.

I've been there 28 years and have only been sick one day but that was before the new contracts and we did get paid then as they made me sick because I had been working 60 hour weeks for a few months.

Here in my neck of the woods in Thailand (Hua Hin, south of Bangkok) developments are being closely followed. Forums are reporting sightings of Chinese tourists, which are few. Friends with tickets to return to the USA and Canada via South Korea and Taiwan respectively are worried their flights will either be cancelled or they will be quarantined on arrival. Communications with airlines are getting harder.

I've got tickets to fly to Australia in April, via KL.

There are three new cases reported in Thailand, with the Health Minister urging Thais to holiday at home.

The ABC reports the following points of interest:

Of the 15 cases that had previously been identified here in Australia, that were sourced from Wuhan, all 15 of those patients have now been discharged and have overcome the virus.

In contrast to Iran, Indonesia has yet to report a single case of the novel coronavirus on its shores despite being slow to suspend direct flights from Wuhan to Bali amid the outbreak while hosting 1.3 million Chinese tourists last year. The regional anomaly has experts questioning quarantine and screening procedures in the world's fourth-most-populous country, with a population of more than 270 million.

Meanwhile, when asked how it was possible Indonesia had no confirmed cases, Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto said it came down to faith. "In medical terms, prayers," he said. "All because of prayers."

In Myanmar, Buddhist monks broadcast over loudspeakers that placing "exactly seven" ground peppercorns on the tongue will ward off the virus.

While other countries are imposing travel bans, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has made a move in the opposite direction, declaring his intention to travel to Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus. He was told "no" — Wuhan was in lockdown — but he boasted of being the first world leader to visit China since the outbreak, in a gesture of solidarity.

Cambodia's Health Minister, Mam Bun Heng, said the country was too hot for the virus to spread.

Is anyone else here involved in planning for a corona-virus response. I was at our IT leadership form and asked what planning steps we were taking. I got a benign smile and lot of waffle about staff comms about hygiene and how they were looking at providing hand sanitiser gels etc etc.

I said that I was pretty much taking all that as read then I pointed out that we've probably got 3-6 months to prepare. If large numbers of staff are isolated at home, will our remote access service cope with the demand, have we enough licences, have we a supply of PIN fobs. If IT staff have to work from home, can they access the apps and infrastructure with the tools they need to manage the assets, giving just email and office365 probably won't cut it. Have we any areas of the business where demand on IT will spike as their particular applications would be driven by corona-virus activity. etc etc. Are our suppliers prepared etc etc.

Cue blank looks followed by a murmur of 'oh shit'

And I work in a hospital FFS !!!

4(T)

LE
Is anyone else here involved in planning for a corona-virus response. I was at our IT leadership form and asked what planning steps we were taking. I got a benign smile and lot of waffle about staff comms about hygiene and how they were looking at providing hand sanitiser gels etc etc.

I said that I was pretty much taking all that as read then I pointed out that we've probably got 3-6 months to prepare. If large numbers of staff are isolated at home, will our remote access service cope with the demand, have we enough licences, have we a supply of PIN fobs. If IT staff have to work from home, can they access the apps and infrastructure with the tools they need to manage the assets, giving just email and office365 probably won't cut it. Have we any areas of the business where demand on IT will spike as their particular applications would be driven by corona-virus activity. etc etc. Are our suppliers prepared etc etc.

From a different perspective: wifey's HR department has been warned by the lawyers not to give any advice to employees whatsoever, but to direct them instead to NHS information sources.

Evidently they foresee a tidal wave of compensation claims from chancers claiming they caught the virus because the company's advice to "wash your hands after going to the toilet" or whatever was insufficient to protect them.

Anyway, looking on the bright side, if Jon Snow's quarantine fate is anything to go by, hopefully most of the BBC, C4 & Sky reporters will soon be incommunicado in various 5-star hotels for the duration.

At my site it's pretty much hygiene precautions and what do if visitors or staff have flu like symptoms, and pushing as many people to work from home as possible if it hits locally

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
I can see the entire emergency services structure at a complete collapse if these shores start receiving numbers of cases that start to panic the public ,let alone in numbers that would be a public health issue.

Some services are hanging on by their fingernails even during normal jogging as it is.

Its no leap of the imagination to envisage that the casualties of the virus would be the least of your problems in an outbreak, law and order.....what little is left in certain parts of the country/capital would disintegrate, already buggered health services would do the same.

Mass public order problems with food/water/everything supplies being stripped off the shelves within the first 24 hours of the pandemic being made public....coupled with the " just in time " logistics chain that is used everywhere now, so that those supplies cannot be replaced fast enough or at all due to reliance on distant small stockpiles and the utter reliance on an unimpeded logistics chain. Essentially you will need to start protecting areas that hold essentials and vehicles that transport those essentials.

Complete withdrawal of a normal ( I know its bad already ) police presence due to having to deal with an upsurge of criminality....its not a far stretch of the mind to see what sectors of society would use this to their advantage and how normal people would start to respond to effectively being abandoned by the authorities, and the police having to provide security to the supply chain....further draining police resources beyond any level thought possible.

Most/all emergency services no longer have a capability to continue operating without a functioning public logistics chain......basically, stations do not have their own fuel supplies, having all been removed and hence why you see police/ambulances often filling up at public stations. Saves money until the logistics chain collapses and the public fuel stations actually run dry.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
I left the forces many years ago, but my experiences as a sapper in some of the most hideous incidents during those years I served such as Bosnia, where the rule of law,common sense, decency all broke down and you saw just how bad things could really get, have left a lasting imprint on me forever.

I plan and anticipate for situations that might not go well and I am constantly exasperated by working with people/organisations who just simply do not have a any well of experience of when things go really bad to have working plans or alternative plans in place for when things go wrong. The complete collapse of the constant nanny state/logistics chain/normal human behavior is something they have never seen and they cannot mentally adapt to and the idea of having an independent fuel supply if required, medical stockpiles at hand instead of requesting stuff that gets used on the night and waiting weeks for it to arrive etc etc.... is so far out of their experience bubble as to seem alien.

Complete withdrawal of a normal ( I know its bad already ) police presence due to having to deal with an upsurge of criminality..
Compound that by the effect of a number of Police officers being 'home isolated' too. I can work from home with a network connection, I doubt that many of the plod could do their jobs from home.

I can see the entire emergency services structure at a complete collapse if these shores start receiving numbers of cases that start to panic the public ,let alone in numbers that would be a public health issue.

Some services are hanging on by their fingernails even during normal jogging as it is.

Its no leap of the imagination to envisage that the casualties of the virus would be the least of your problems in an outbreak, law and order.....what little is left in certain parts of the country/capital would disintegrate, already buggered health services would do the same.

Mass public order problems with food/water/everything supplies being stripped off the shelves within the first 24 hours of the pandemic being made public....coupled with the " just in time " logistics chain that is used everywhere now, so that those supplies cannot be replaced fast enough or at all due to reliance on distant small stockpiles and the utter reliance on an unimpeded logistics chain. Essentially you will need to start protecting areas that hold essentials and vehicles that transport those essentials.

Complete withdrawal of a normal ( I know its bad already ) police presence due to having to deal with an upsurge of criminality....its not a far stretch of the mind to see what sectors of society would use this to their advantage and how normal people would start to respond to effectively being abandoned by the authorities, and the police having to provide security to the supply chain....further draining police resources beyond any level thought possible.

Most/all emergency services no longer have a capability to continue operating without a functioning public logistics chain......basically, stations do not have their own fuel supplies, having all been removed and hence why you see police/ambulances often filling up at public stations. Saves money until the logistics chain collapses and the public fuel stations actually run dry.
I left the forces many years ago, but my experiences as a sapper in some of the most hideous incidents during those years I served such as Bosnia, where the rule of law,common sense, decency all broke down and you saw just how bad things could really get, have left a lasting imprint on me forever.

I plan and anticipate for situations that might not go well and I am constantly exasperated by working with people/organisations who just simply do not have a any well of experience of when things go really bad to have working plans or alternative plans in place for when things go wrong. The complete collapse of the constant nanny state/logistics chain/normal human behavior is something they have never seen and they cannot mentally adapt to and the idea of having an independent fuel supply if required, medical stockpiles at hand instead of requesting stuff that gets used on the night and waiting weeks for it to arrive etc etc.... is so far out of their experience bubble as to seem alien.
They do say society is always three days away from melt down and a collapse in the supply chain, coupled with a collapse in healthcare would not be good news. I read reports of the super markets being emptied in Italy, and if you look at the last set of break down in London, looting started straight away.

We have been trying to get hold of a prospective client in Italy for 4 days now as well as the management consultancy that we are working with and we are not getting replies to emails/calls/text messages. Now it could be that we have lost the business, but our man in in Switzerland who is dealing with it says it's not good - even though he is of the view a lot of it is media hype. He reckons people are seriously spooked.

I'm glad I live in rural Hertfordshire is all I can say.......

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Compound that by the effect of a number of Police officers being 'home isolated' too. I can work from home with a network connection, I doubt that many of the plod could do their jobs from home.
Couldn't they just shout at people on twitter rather than them actually prosecuting them?

Public Health England have refused to rule out locking down British towns and public transport networks if it fails to contain the coronavirus.

Thousands of Britons will be tested by GPs for coronavirus, amid fears that the explosion of cases in Europe means there could be far more cases in the UK than are known about.

Erm how exactly do they intend to 'lock-down' a town?

I vote for Bradford, Rochdale and Oldham if we get the chance to have a say

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
From a different perspective: wifey's HR department has been warned by the lawyers not to give any advice to employees whatsoever, but to direct them instead to NHS information sources.

Evidently they foresee a tidal wave of compensation claims from chancers claiming they caught the virus because the company's advice to "wash your hands after going to the toilet" or whatever was insufficient to protect them
Clearly the correct course of action if you have just retuned from Wuhan or Italy and have a touch of Flu is to go directly to see your MP.... Several times if possible.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder how much trade is being disrupted ? A bloke I know gets all his raw materials from China and theres a big hold up now . Plus the fact that some folks might have cancelled their trips abroad etc it must come to a few bob. Can we sustain the loss of goods for a period of six months or a year do you think ??

I also remeber when friends of mine were visiting china in the 80s that they were told that china was TOTALY self sufficient in food supplies , which was a porker of giant proportions

4(T)

LE
So, if there is to be panic buying and empty supermarkets, do we need to start an "Arrse Prepper" thread?

If so, NAAFI, Intelligence Cell or Hunting/Fishing/Shooting?

Latest Threads