MERS Coronavirus warning

Yup they are. Not everybody is weird like me and saves like it is going out of style. But when those folks can't buy gas or groceries or pay the bills life will be getting sporty.
The wife has historically, and most recently this week, had people earning $250K+ asking for an advance of annual bonus. Go figure.

The wife has historically, and most recently this week, had people earning $250K+ asking for an advance of annual bonus. Go figure.
Which makes me sad on the inside. If I was making that much money I would be saving at least 30 percent of that sum whilst paying my hovel and truck off at a decent clip. That bonus money should go into savings or extra house payments!! Oh wait sorry....gotta fund the real priorities in life and get that 84 inch TV and trips to Mexico!

I'm beginning to stock up on non-perishable food and goods. Nothing overboard, just picking up extras here and there and making sure I've got enough stuff for a couple of weeks without having to leave the house on top of the usual.

Water, electricity and gas doesn't look to have been affected in China so I doubt it would be in the UK.

There will be a problem if people panic and strip supermarkets bare en-masse - a bit like Christmas then!

I'm beginning to stock up on non-perishable food and goods. Nothing overboard, just picking up extras here and there and making sure I've got enough stuff for a couple of weeks without having to leave the house on top of the usual.

Water, electricity and gas doesn't look to have been affected in China so I doubt it would be in the UK.

There will be a problem if people panic and strip supermarkets bare en-masse - a bit like Christmas then!
The problem will be if everything is shut down, and places can't food and petrol shipped in to replace the stocks on hand. If a significant number of people have to go without a pay day many don't have even a modest amount saved up to get them through. Two weeks is a long time to be quarantined. I better stock up Doritos, jerky and Clif Bars.....

Let us know what the response is.

I would hope that they would be proactive in seeking a test given the spread within Europe. Though I suspect they are only testing cases which show signs of pneumonia.

Seems the advice is merely to self isolate and not to go to a doctors surgery etc. In which case I'm a bit confused as to how they could test for it...
There was mention of "drive through" testing being considered earlier in the week. Medics set up in a car park somewhere and people who need tested drive there and have the swab taken through the window of the car.

Have a look at the quarantine laws in Western countries. The one in Canada is quite draconian, and I suspect the same is true for the UK.

Under the Quarantine Act in Canada, someone can be arrested without warrant, held against their will if they do not voluntarily cooperate, and can be subject to heavy fines and several years in jail if they break a quarantine order. A minister can designate any location anywhere in the country as a quarantine facility, and the owner must provide it, along with all furnishings and fittings, at no charge (the minister may pay compensation, but is not required to do so).

The full act is quite lengthy, but here's the offences and punishments section.

Offences and Punishment

Entering quarantine facility

65 (1) No person shall enter a quarantine facility without the authorization of a quarantine officer.

Leaving quarantine facility

(2) No person shall leave a quarantine facility without the authorization of a quarantine officer.

Obstruction of officer

66 No person shall hinder or wilfully obstruct a quarantine officer, a screening officer or an environmental health officer who is carrying out their duties or functions under this Act, or make a false or misleading statement, either orally or in writing, to the officer.

Offence committed intentionally

67 (1) Every person is guilty of an offence if they cause a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while wilfully or recklessly contravening this Act or the regulations.

Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is liable

(a) on conviction on indictment, to a fine of not more than $1,000,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than three years, or to both; and

(b) on summary conviction, to a fine of not more than $300,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

Failure to comply

68 Every person who fails to comply with an obligation imposed under subsection 15(3) or 25(1) or section 26 is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $200,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

Failure to comply

69 Every person who fails to comply with an obligation imposed under section 35, subsection 39(1) or 44(3) or section 51 is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $750,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

Contravention

70 Every person who contravenes section 12 or 13, subsection 15(1) or section 65 is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $200,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

Contravention

71 Every person who contravenes subsection 6(2), 8(1) or 34(2) or (3), section 36 or 38, subsection 42(1), section 45 or 50, subsection 54(3), section 58 or 59 or subsection 73(2) or the regulations is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not more than $750,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

2005, c. 20, s. 71 2007, c. 27, s. 3

Contravention

72 Every person who contravenes subsection 15(2) or section 66 is guilty of an offence and liable

(a) on conviction on indictment, to a fine of not more than $500,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than three years, or to both; or

(b) on summary conviction, to a fine of not more than $200,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.
Yes it was discussed in some detail on BBC R4 Law in Action this afternoon. Quite interesting, should be available on the sounds app for anyone interested

This is becoming interesting, if that's the right word.

This is the sort of thing I consign to the 'never happen to me' type bin, but the missus and I were talking about this last night and I have to admit, I'd probably look at cancelling now if I had something booked in an area that had been flagged up. Mainly because I have little faith in places being run responsibly.

If we had kids, then we'd definitely cancel - I'm happy for us adults to make decisions and be accountable for them, can't take the risk with the young 'uns.

Keeping an eye on this one for a change and not dismissing it out of hand.

It looks like China is going back to work. This article (link below) quotes one businesswoman as saying “the most optimistic forecast [of back to normal production] would be no earlier than mid-March”.
The sticking points are, only 30% of small businesses are open, workers are stuck in their home towns and can't get back to their places of work, and supply chains are disrupted. Most large organisations seem to be open to some degree, but they face the same problems.

SCMP article here Two-thirds of China’s small businesses remain shut amid coronavirus

I've already stocked up on cigarettes, Jaegermeister and medication, so I'll be comfy in a SHTF situation.
I also have a couple of Airsoft weapons to keep hordes of looters at bay.

Jaeger is a candy drink!View attachment 452128
The stuff they sell in the US is. Friend of mine brings a couple of bottles over from Germany every year for some New Jersey SWAT blokes we know. They say the German stuff is better than the US sold stuff.

The stuff they sell in the US is. Friend of mine brings a couple of bottles over from Germany every year for some New Jersey SWAT blokes we know. They say the German stuff is better than the US sold stuff.
I would imagine the recipes might vary slightly.

Thus far yes, but it would be nice to see a breakdown on the Chinese fatalities to see what the ages of the deceased. But if this sucker mutates it could do more than hit the elderly and those with compromised immune systems. But the effects of this virus will be felt worldwide regardless. Save your money, stock up on some food in case you have an extended stay indoors.
The bloody news is making more of a fuss over the stock market losses than the people dying at the moment.

Oh well, I'm prepared.

1582700240536.png

With the conditions of the data being reported from China changing daily the trends look like its slowing down, yet with new transparent reporting in the World it could explode sharper

Latest Threads