MERS Coronavirus warning

I see Jon Snow is in 14 days quarantine so it's not all bad news.

jambosun

Old-Salt
My daughter is studying in Palermo. She was due to return on Saturday after 5 months but last night I decided to book her an earlier flight, just in case. Glad I did even though it's not until Thursday; I just hope the local government doesn't overreact and quarantine the whole island. Looking forward to getting her home. If she has got it then that's me and her binge watching Netflix for the next two weeks.

When I worked in Bombardier Belfast, you accrued 4 weeks sick leave every year of employment. It was referred to as your sick bank.
You recieved so many months on full pay, then half pay after that, if I remember right.
It may have been at your managers discretion to extend your period of full pay.

It wasn't unknown for people coming upto retirement age, to take the last year of employment on sick leave as they maybe had 30+ years employment.
I can take up to nine days uncertified sick days each year, in batches of no more than three days. If that becomes exhausted I need to certify every absence, although I can self-certify if a doctor will not give me a sicknote. I have never heard of a single instance of those latter two things happening.

If I do go long-term sick, I get full pay for up to eighteen months, then, subject to an independent medical assessment, 3/4 pay for another eighteen months before I am retired on medical grounds with a pension.

Be interesting to see how that plays in the US with its "no work, no pay" culture.
Sounds like you might be about to find out!

'President Donald Trump on Tuesday spent about 45 minutes lying about a wide variety of topics during a press conference in India. Among the topics he chose to not tell the truth about were the stock market, Ebola, Russia’s interference in the 2020 election, and the coronavirus, as The American Independent noted.
But it’s Trump’s lie about the number of confirmed cases in the U.S. of COVID-19, better known as the Wuhan Coronavirus, or just coronavirus, that is making many even more concerned about the lack of awareness and preparation by Trump and his administration to battle what the World Health Organization says is a virus with “unlimited potential.”

'Trump bragged that what he has done to stop the spread of the coronavirus in the U.S. is unprecedented, which is false. Just hours ago several U.S. Senators, after attending a classified briefing on the cornoavirus, warned just how poorly prepared the Trump administration is to handle it, especially if and when it becomes a pandemic.

'The CDC just warned that the spread of the coronavirus inside the U.S. is inevitable. “We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” a top CDC official said. But Trump is lying about U.S. preparedness and about the number of Americans infected, which is dangerous.
“We’re really down to probably about 10,” Trump told reporters.

'As of Monday, the World Health Organization reports there are 53 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S. There are also nearly 80,000 confirmed cases worldwide. The U.S. could quickly face a dramatic rise if the Trump administration does not act immediately.'

I can take up to nine days uncertified sick days each year, in batches of no more than three days. If that becomes exhausted I need to certify every absence, although I can self-certify if a doctor will not give me a sicknote. I have never heard of a single instance of those latter two things happening.

If I do go long-term sick, I get full pay for up to eighteen months, then, subject to an independent medical assessment, 3/4 pay for another eighteen months before I am retired on medical grounds with a pension.
And people wonder why NATO's broke! Good for you though.;)

Well, there are worse places for a lock-in.

'An Italian man has tested positive for coronavirus in Tenerife in the Canary Islands, the region’s health authorities said on Monday. Spanish media including El Mundo reported the man was an Italian doctor on holiday in Spain.

'There are also reports that 1,000 people at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel where he was staying, and popular with British tourists, have been put into quarantine. Police have been seen outside making sure nobody enters or leaves, according to local reports. Nobody from the hotel’s parent company was immediately available to verify whether the hotel was in lockdown.

'The patient is currently being kept in isolation and his test results will be sent to Madrid for a second analysis, as per Spain’s protocol in suspected coronavirus cases, the Canary Islands’ health authorities said in a statement. He is from the Lombardy region of Italy, where several people have died, and is thought to have been staying at the hotel with his wife for the last six days. He had felt feverish for several days and went to a private clinic before being transferred to an isolation unit.'

Read more: Hotel 'in lockdown' after doctor tests positive for coronavirus
I stayed in this hotel over Christmas with Mrs A and mini A. It's really rather nice but I'm damn glad I'm not going to spend two weeks in one room, well furnished as it is, watching euro TV .

And people wonder why NATO's broke! Good for you though.;)
Again, I have never heard of a single case of this happening to anyone at all. The longest absence I know of was a bloke that got hit by a car while on exercise breaking various bits in his back. He then spent 4 months in and out of hospital. He returned to part-time work after about 6 months and full-time 2 months later.

But didn't you make shed loads of money being a contractor?
Not here I wasn't ltd company, same money as the bloke next to me, he just had better terms. Glorified temp really.

It was only when I left Shorts Belfast and went to England to work, that I made double the dough.

Ahh but when the footsie falls, does the pound not usually strengthen slightly? Buy the Euros and sell them later?
Who knows. I work in dollars and it seems like it is only a matter of time before the world system is going to grind to a halt for a bit. The two week quarantine time is going to play hell with all the economies of the world. How many folks in the UK live pay check to pay check? I know quite a few here in the US do, and if you are not working you are not making money. So it is going to hammer the entire country.

Who knows. I work in dollars and it seems like it is only a matter of time before the world system is going to grind to a halt for a bit. The two week quarantine time is going to play hell with all the economies of the world. How many folks in the UK live pay check to pay check? I know quite a few here in the US do, and if you are not working you are not making money. So it is going to hammer the entire country.
Good job I'm out of work at the minute then lol.

How on Earth do you get saved up sick time?

Surely you just take sick leave when you are actually sick.
You lot in the UK have no idea how lucky you are. The Mrs and I are continually underwhelmed with the Dickensian work practices here.

You generally get leave days (15+) and personal/sick days (5+) the amount depends on your job and time served. Take a day outside those and you do not get paid FULL STOP. There are short term and long term sickness insurances that you can take to compensate you, but they are more or less intended for recuperation after a hospital visit.

I have been in eateries where walking snot boxes are working because they cannot financially afford the time off work - I leave. Throw in the 30 million plus with absolutely no health insurance and probably 100 million with bare minimum insurance. Doc's and hospitals here are businesses - no insurance, no treatment. It is nothing like the UK with regards social responsibility and healthcare - if you ain't got the money you don't get the care.

Paycheck to paycheck?

Some are spending two pay checks ahead.

You lot in the UK have no idea how lucky you are. The Mrs and I are continually underwhelmed with the Dickensian work practices here.

You generally get leave days (15+) and personal/sick days (5+) the amount depends on your job and time served. Take a day outside those and you do not get paid FULL STOP. There are short term and long term sickness insurances that you can take to compensate you, but they are more or less intended for recuperation after a hospital visit.

I have been in eateries where walking snot boxes are working because they cannot financially afford the time off work - I leave. Throw in the 30 million plus with absolutely no health insurance and probably 100 million with bare minimum insurance. Doc's and hospitals here are businesses - no insurance, no treatment. It is nothing like the UK with regards social responsibility and healthcare - if you ain't got the money you don't get the care.
I blame Obamacare.;)

I get 33 days holiday a year (in theory at least, I've never yet managed to take them all)
I haven't had a day off sick in over a decade but I think I'd get paid when off sick, at least for a reasonable amount of time.
My name is on both of the companies HGV Operators Licence's so they would have to be reasonably nice to me if I chucked a sicky.
As a manager I get a bit of discretion but hourly paid staff get statutory sick pay and nothing more. I did give a long serving driver paid compassionate leave a few weeks ago when his mother karked it, purely discretionary though.

Point being, I think you are correct and sometimes in the UK we are quick to forget that health and social care is pretty well provided for compared to most.