MERS Coronavirus warning

Here is the COVID-19 summary for Sunday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Sunday

France will start vaccinating people over age 55 starting Monday. This is earlier than expected.
In Europe, France said Sunday that residents over age 55 will be granted access to COVID-19 vaccinations starting Monday, which is earlier than had been anticipated.

Mexico will start vaccinating people over the age of 50 starting at the end of April.
In the Americas, Mexico will expand vaccinations to adults over 50 at the end of April, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said.

Cameroon received their first shipment of vaccine, 200,000 doses of Sinopharm from China. It will be used for front line health workers.
In Africa, Cameroon received 200,000 doses of China's Sinopharm vaccine, the first vaccines to arrive in the country, which will enable it inoculate frontline workers as it battles rising cases of coronavirus, the health ministry said.

Another anti-mask nutter in British Columbia Canada had his complaint tossed out by the BC Human Rights Tribunal.
Human rights tribunal tosses out complaint by worker who said he refused to wear mask because of religion

He had been hired for a job. When he arrived he was told to wear a mask. He refused, saying it was against his religion. He was refused entry and fired.

He then tried to take a complaint to the BC Human Rights Tribunal, saying that he was being discriminated against on the basis of religion.
"A big part of our image that we all identify with is our face. To cover up our face arbitrarily dishonours God," wrote the worker.
The religion wasn't named in the report, but if he is genuinely religious, the wording of his statement suggests he is a Christian nutter.

He also said that he doesn't believe that a mask protects anyone, and that making him wear one infringed on his "God-given ability to breathe".
As well, he claimed the mask requirement infringed on his "God-given ability to breathe" and that wearing a mask does not protect anyone from viruses.

The tribunal ruled that the complainant didn't show that wearing masks was against any particular religion, and that his argument therefore simply amounted to saying that he didn't believe that masks were effective.

His complaint was therefore denied.

This is the second story that I have posted about people making human rights complaints about pandemic restrictions in BC, and having their cases tossed out.

In this case apparently he was told to wear a mask, he refused and was therefore fired. He tried to make an official complaint about it but the tribunal upheld the right of the employer to fire him for not complying with health regulations.

It's heaving in town. Some shops gave queues of up to 2-3 hours.
Luckily, and to my surprise, people are masked up and maintaining social distancing. I was expecting worse behaviour.

Of course none of the shops wants to take responsibility for the queue, and is demanding the cities covid marshals deal with it. To which the response is 'Get stuffed. Your queue, your mess.'

Anyone been to the pub yet.

Personally, although I love pubs (and the tinctures sold within), there's just too much off a faff involved. Sitting outside having to dress for arctic conditions, with all the 'you can't do this and you can't do that'. Pretty joyless.

I know that the pubs themselves are desperate to get trading again, but we all know how the last rush to get back to business went. I still don't think we're there yet.

It can wait a while as far as I'm concerned..

Personally, although I love pubs (and the tinctures sold within), there's just too much off a faff involved. Sitting outside having to dress for arctic conditions, with all the 'you can't do this and you can't do that'. Pretty joyless.

I know that the pubs themselves are desperate to get trading again, but we all know how the last rush to get back to business went. I still don't think we're there yet.

Went past a local spoons earlier, people in a beer garden that was the size of a couple of paving slabs, fcuking baltic temperatures. Doesn't appeal to me at all, couldn't give a fcuk if they all closed down.

Walked through town today ,among the orcs and the morlocks fat stupid feckless stinky smoking dirty lazy bipadal rats were scratching spitting shopping and shuffling around in a miasma of their own filth some of them seemed capable of shitting out new members of their nest while smoking eating Greg's and buying scratch cards . Queing to get into Primark . A good advert for the neutron bomb and some kinetic post natal contraception. Walked fast don't plan on going back. Hope I'm wrong but covid numbers around the 24th will be interesting.

Walked through town today ,among the orcs and the morlocks fat stupid feckless stinky smoking dirty lazy bipadal rats were scratching spitting shopping and shuffling around in a miasma of their own filth some of them seemed capable of shitting out new members of their nest while smoking eating Greg's and buying scratch cards . Queing to get into Primark . A good advert for the neutron bomb and some kinetic post natal contraception. Walked fast don't plan on going back. Hope I'm wrong but covid numbers around the 24th will be interesting.

*narrows eyes*

Have you been following me at work?

In all seriousness, yes there were a lot of people about, but contrary to expected there was also a lot of masks, and queues were mostly self-formed and self-regulating. I only saw one place that had deployed staff outside to manage its queue, and that was because it didn't have much room outsides its place and was a takeaway place.

So I have a faint glimmer of hope that the expected spike in two weeks will not be too large.

“If everyone is wearing masks why are people still getting Covid?”

I already know the answer to this one - this country is full of utter f***wits, but on Sunday I saw an example of a full on, ocean-going weapons grade, thick as a whale omlette, gibbering thunderc**t.

Stood at the till in Aldi (yeah, I know - but I only wanted mushrooms and creme fraiche) waiting for the couple in front of me to pay so I could move forward. The lass, in this order:
Moves head to one side
Pulls down her mask
sneezes into her hand - but with most of the germ burst going into the air as her hand was about a foot away from her face.
Pulls up mask

I left it for about 20 seconds before moving forward and made dam sure I both decontaminated my hands and scrubbed them harder than a rape victim when I got home. Clothes off and into machine and wipe down all my groceries.

FFS...

Same here. So much fuss I wouldn't enjoy it, so why bother? Gather it's outdoors only at the moment, but it's going to be a few more months before I'll feel safe mixing with crowds in a limited space, in or out.

The virus will never be eliminated .Just like the many types of Influenza and the other 18 Covids we will just need= to live with it,
Silly me I thought it was called Covid-19 because it started in 2019

How do you feel about them though?

Here is the COVID-19 summary for Monday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Monday

Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) are apparently on track to deliver their first of 55 million doses to the EU some time in June.
Meanwhile, the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccines started to be delivered to the European Union on Monday, the first of 55 million doses that are expected to be provided to the bloc before the end of June. EU Commission spokesperson Stefan De Keersmaecker said the Johnson & Johnson deliveries "are indeed on track as agreed."

The Philippines are reducing lockdown measures in the Manila area.
In the Asia-Pacific region, the hard-hit Philippine capital and four nearby provinces have been placed under a lighter coronavirus lockdown to avoid further damage to an already battered economy, despite a continuing surge in infections and deaths. The Philippines has long been a Southeast Asian coronavirus hot spot, with about 865,000 confirmed infections and nearly 15,000 deaths.

Hundreds of thousands of Hindus are bathing in the Ganges river during religious festivals despite the spread of infection in India. This is something the government was afraid would happen.
Hundreds of thousands of Hindu devotees flocked to take a holy bath in India's Ganges river, even as the nation racked up the world's highest tally of new daily coronavirus infections.

Iran started a 10 day lockdown on Saturday.
In the Middle East, Iran imposed a 10-day lockdown across most of the country on Saturday.

Venezuela have managed to come up with the money required to buy the vaccine they ordered through COVAX.
Venezuela has secured the funds to fully pay for coronavirus vaccines via the COVAX system, President Nicolas Maduro said on Sunday, a day after a surprise announcement that the country had paid more than half the amount due.

Tunisia have approved the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine and expect to receive the 1.5 million doses they ordered through the African Union soon.
In Africa, Tunisia approved Johnson & Johnson's vaccine and will soon receive 1.5 million doses of the vaccine under an African Union plan.

Australia's vaccination plans are in disarray after limiting the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to people age 50 or older.
Australia abandons COVID-19 vaccination targets after new advice on AstraZeneca shots

Australia had planned to rely heavily on the Oxford vaccine, including making it locally. With those plans on ice now, they will have trouble meeting their target of having everyone vaccinated by the end of October.

Most of the story is speculation on what all this means for Australia.

I suspect that some clarity on whether the blood clot issue is real or not, and how much of an issue it is if it is real will be welcome in many quarters at this time.

However, given that Australia have only vaccinated 4.5 per cent of their population so far, I suspect they can are a ways away from the "50 and up" limit being an issue at this time, except with respect to younger health care workers. Australia apparently do have some Pfizer-Biontech vaccine which they can use on the latter.

So, in my opinion it's not a crisis at this time, but answers about the blood clot issue will be required.

A man in Canada has had to have a double lung transplant due to COVID-19.
Ontario man believed to be 1st Canadian with COVID-destroyed lungs to get double transplant
He is 61, apparently quite physically fit and had no underlying health conditions. However, COVID-19 had destroyed his lungs to such a degree that they were no longer functional.

Because the rest of him was still relatively healthy, he was a candidate for the transplant of a pair of lungs. If the rest of his organs weren't healthy he wouldn't be considered for a transplant, and I assume that he would be either dead now or soon to be so.

He is the first person in Canada to get a double lung transplant due to COVID-19, but the same hospital in Toronto are considering three others for the same operation.

The story said that this operation has only been done about "40 or 50" times world wide. I don't know if they mean ever, or whether it's 40 or 50 times for COVID-19.

His entire household came down with COVID-19 at the same time`. His father-in-law died of it in the adjacent ICU room.

The top health official in China has said that Chinese vaccines have relatively low efficacy compared to those from other countries.
Top official admits China's COVID-19 vaccines have low efficacy

China's vaccines "don't have very high protection rates," Gao Fu, the director of China's Centers for Disease Control, said at a conference Saturday in the southwestern city of Chengdu.

They are apparently looking at developing better vaccines, including those using mRNA technology.

Chinese vaccines are being used around the world. They are mainly being used in the third world, although Hungary are using them.

A study in Brazil found that the Sinovac vaccine had an efficacy rate of 50.4 per cent, which is barely above the 50 per cent threshold set by the WHO.

I should point out that this doesn't mean that only 50 per cent of the people who get it have any effective vaccination. It just means that 50 per cent will show no symptoms. If the other 50 per cent stay alive and out of the hospital, then the vaccine will have done its most important job.

So far, 65 million people in China have received at least one dose of vaccine, and 34 million have received two.

Currently they are using a 14 day period between doses, which is relatively short compared to what others are doing. Studies are finding that efficacy is improved if they use a longer period between doses, but it is not clear of the Chinese are going to change how they go about it yet.

Pondlife the lot of them.

Absolutely, I'd imagine these scenes have been repeated up and down the country overnight as well. I enjoy my nights out as much as anyone but I'm not bothering till all the bellends who were queuing outside the pubs for hours before they even opened have filled their boots for a few weeks.

Latest Threads