MERS Coronavirus warning

Ach du Lieber Gott - NEVER!

Thanks for mis-attributing a very selective quote from M-sieur Le Maire of the Isle de Yeu to me....I have come to expect nothing else

Attribution to you was unintended. Merely an incomplete snip for brevity.

Fixed. Happy, sugartits?

Nobody asked me. Why did Brexit even come up as a question?
How likely are EU citizens to uptake the vaccine compared to Brits might be more informative, given that Macron was doing the anti-vaxers job for them. Desperate, desperate political distortion.
It was a survey on how social and political attitudes affect people's opinions on vaccination. It actually said that Brexit and Green party voters were least likely to say they would get vaccinated, and that having voted Brexit also means someone is slightly (7 per cent) more likely to say they won't get vaccinated. It also says that ethnic minorities, non-voters, younger people, and poorer people were more likely to say they don't intend to get vaccinated.

However, take all that with a grain of salt. That's what people currently say they will do. The survey also notes that the number of people who say they are "very likely" to get vaccinated has increased from 50 per cent to more than 75 per cent between October and February.

There is likely a big "FU" factor in all this, in which people express their unhappiness about one government policy or another by saying they won't eat their vegetables or have their vaccine just because. Polls are a reflection of what people say, and not necessarily of what they will do in future.

When it's actually offered to them personally however, that attitude may change rather rapidly. I don't have the figures, but I believe I read or heard a news report in the past week which said that the take-up of vaccination among those offered it was very high, and very few were actually turning it down.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
When it's actually offered to them personally however, that attitude may change rather rapidly. I don't have the figures, but I believe I read or heard a news report in the past week which said that the take-up of vaccination among those offered it was very high, and very few were actually turning it down.
the most recent figure I have heard is that uptake is at 91%. Anecdotally I suspect that some of that may be down to GP’s etc being unable to contact some of the current cohorts due to commas problems - although not common in our local rag there have been some complaints from some eligible that they haven’t been contacted yet, although the system does seem to be working incredibly well overall.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Janssen vaccine, made in Belgium under the Johnson and Johnson HQ, has been give approval from the FDA in the USA who have declared it safe, effective and consistent for emergency use to prevent Covid 19.

It now has to go for final approval and it is expected the EMA will approve it the following week.
Just a single dose and it is not as effective as Pfizer and Moderna at around 72% but they are now trialling the effects if 2 doses are given although one dose appears to be more effective against the mutant strains than some of the others. It also has the advantage of not having to be stored at minus temperatures.

They have still not given approval for the AstraZeneca vaccine due to some contradictory data and is still undergoing tests on the elder population.

Didn’t the CIA say it was plausible, but the recent investigation showed otherwise.

There was also a study looking at the genome of the virus some time ago that found that it was almost certainly of natural origins, published in Nature.

Edit to add: At any other time the conspiraloons would be blaming the CIA. The fact that such a proclamation came under the Trump administration may also raise eyebrows. Anyhoo, Another link to a news article regarding the investigation.

I do not think the virus was engineered but I do think it highly likely that it was accidentally released in to Wuhan city due to an error in the lab

endure

GCM
I do not think the virus was engineered but I do think it highly likely that it was accidentally released in to Wuhan city due to an error in the lab

Read it. Don't believe it.

China has had a long time to clean up and correct the evidence.
THere is no evidence to prove it came out of the Wuhan Institute because China has spent a lot of time and resources making sure their is no evidence.

TamH70

MIA
Read it. Don't believe it.

China has had a long time to clean up and correct the evidence.
THere is no evidence to prove it came out of the Wuhan Institute because China has spent a lot of time and resources making sure their is no evidence.
And assigning one of the most senior PLA bioweaponeers to take command of the WIV immediately after the rotating assembly met the excrement in such a public fashion was in no way suspicious at all.

I'd like my Social Credit Score bonus in US Dollars, please Winny.

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Wednesday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Wednesday

Similar to a study in Scotland of the overall vaccinated population mentioned recently, a study in Israel showed that the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine was 94 per cent effective on average in preventing severe illness. and 57 percent effective in preventing symptoms overall.
The research in Israel — two months into one of the world's fastest rollouts, providing a rich source of data — showed two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot cut symptomatic COVID-19 cases by 94 per cent across all age groups, and severe illnesses by nearly as much.

The study of about 1.2 million people also showed a single shot was 57 per cent effective in protecting against symptomatic infections after two weeks, according to the data published and peer-reviewed in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday.

The US say they will accept the Johnson & Johnson (Jansen) vaccine as being safe and effective soon, possibly this week.
The U.S. FDA said Wednesday the Johnson & Johnson one-dose vaccine appeared safe and effective in trials, paving the way for its approval for emergency use as soon as this week.

The presidents of Argentina and Mexico have asked the UN and the rich nations of the world to improve access to vaccines for poor countries.
In the Americas, the presidents of Mexico and Argentina pressed the United Nations and the world's richest countries to improve poorer nations' access to vaccines.

Brazil have approved the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine, but are still in a dispute over terms and conditions.
Brazil has fully approved the Pfizer-BioNTech SE vaccine, though a dispute over a supply deal means it has none to start an immunization program with.

Colombia have approved the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.
Colombia has approved the emergency use of AstraZeneca's vaccine.

Ghana is the first country to receive vaccine through COVAX. They received 600,000 doses of the Oxford vaccine made in India by SII.
Ghana has become the first country in the world to receive vaccines acquired through the United Nations-backed COVAX initiative with a delivery of 600,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine made by the Serum Institute of India. The vaccines, delivered by UNICEF, arrived at Accra's international airport early Wednesday and are part of the first wave of COVID-19 vaccines being sent by COVAX, an international co-operative program formed to make sure low- and middle-income countries have fair access to COVID-19 vaccines.

South Korea began producing their first batches of the Oxford vaccine in a plant owned by SK Bioscience in the city of Andong. South Korea will start vaccinations on Friday.
Jeong spoke as South Korea began transporting the first vaccines rolled off a production line in the southern city of Andong, where local pharmaceutical company SK Bioscience is manufacturing the shots developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford.

The country will kick off the vaccination on Friday starting with residents and employees at long-term care facilities.

Thailand received their first batch of vaccine and expect to start giving jabs in a few days.
Thailand, meanwhile, received its first batch of vaccines, with inoculations set to begin in a few days.

India will start vaccinating people over 60 and those with health conditions over the age of 45 at the beginning of March. They will apparently be using the Oxford vaccine made by SII in India, as well as an Indian vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech.
India will start inoculating people above 60, and those with underlying health problems above age 45 in the second phase of its massive vaccination drive from March 1.

The World Bank have threatened to cut off financing for Lebanon's vaccination program due to queue jumping by politicians.
In the Middle East, the World Bank threatened to suspend its multimillion-dollar financing for Lebanon's vaccinations over politicians jumping the line.

The situation in the Czech Republic is apparently "extremely serious" and more pandemic restrictions are on the way in order to prevent "a total catastrophe".
In Europe, the Czech prime minister said the pandemic situation in his country, one of the hardest-hit in the European Union, is "extremely serious" and his government will have to impose more restrictions to slow down the spread of the coronavirus. Prime Minister Andrej Babis said the measures are needed to prevent "a total catastrophe" in hospitals that have been coming close to their limits.

Sweden are getting ready for more pandemic restrictions.
Sweden is preparing new measures to try to curb a resurgence in cases.

The EU are apparently going to agree to maintain restrictions on non-essential travel within the EU.
European Union government leaders will agree to maintain curbs on non-essential travel within the EU despite the bloc's executive asking six countries to ease border restrictions.

The US have said the Johnson & Johnson (Jansen) vaccine is safe and effective and will likely approve it soon, possibly by the end of the week.
Single dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 66% effective, say U.S. regulators

Johnson & Johnson's one-shot COVID-19 vaccine appeared safe and effective in trials, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) staff said in documents published on Wednesday, paving the way for its approval for emergency use.

They said it was 66 per cent effective against multiple variants. It's not clear what the standard of effectiveness was, whether against severe disease or against developing mild to no symptoms.
Johnson & Johnson's vaccine was 66 per cent effective in preventing COVID-19 against multiple variants in a global trial involving nearly 44,000 people, the company said last month.

The J&J vaccine requires only a single dose as compared to most others which require two. It also doesn't require extreme cold to store it, but rather can be stored for months at refrigerator temperatures.

What do they mean by "approved for emergency use"? You can use it only if stocks of everything else have run out?

It must be really comforting to be jabbed with a vaccine that the approving authority have so little confidence in and may, perhaps, produce a worse outcome than contracting covid. I think i'd be more inclined to isolate and wait until either other vaccines are restocked or the J&J vaccine gets a full approval.

What do they mean by "approved for emergency use"? You can use it only if stocks of everything else have run out?

It must be really comforting to be jabbed with a vaccine that the approving authority have so little confidence in and may, perhaps, produce a worse outcome than contracting covid. I think i'd be more inclined to isolate and wait until either other vaccines are restocked or the J&J vaccine gets a full approval.
I think that for most countries "approved for emergency use" means temporary approval during the pandemic, based on limited information. Final permanent approval may follow later, or they may withdraw their approval without the company having grounds to sue over it.

A number of countries are giving "emergency approval" and then giving full, final approval later when more study results come in with respect to how effective it is.

The UK approved the Pfizer-Biontech on an emergency basis at the beginning of December, and the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine on the same basis at the end of December.

I can't recall any of the vaccines so far being given emergency approval and then having the approval withdrawn later. I think the main risk would be if the vaccine turned out to be not as effective in practice as it appeared to be in the trials.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm sure people who are using the COVID19 Zoe reporting App will have seen - but for others;

Online webinar

COVID Vaccines and the immune system
Wednesday 3rd March
4pm GMT / 11am ET

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Thursday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Thursday

Pfizer are looking at the effectiveness of giving a booster shot 6 to 12 months after the original vaccination in order to boost effectiveness against new variants. They are also looking at modifying their (Biontech's) vaccine as well. It's not clear from the story if the booster shot is intended to be the modified vaccine.
Health authorities say first-generation COVID-19 vaccines still protect against variants that are emerging in different parts of the world. But manufacturers are starting to prepare now in case a more vaccine-resistant mutation comes along. Pfizer said it will offer a third dose to 144 volunteers, drawing from people who participated in the vaccine's early-stage U.S. testing last year.

It wants to determine if an additional booster shot given six to 12 months after the first two doses would rev up the immune system enough to ward off a mutated virus. Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech, are also tweaking their vaccine recipe. The companies are in discussions with U.S. and European regulators about a study to evaluate doses updated to better match variants such as the one first discovered in South Africa.

The African Centres for Disease Control again emphasised the importance of the whole world being vaccinated if we are to bring the pandemic under control.
In Africa, the director of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning it would be a "fatal mistake" if the developed world takes the attitude of "we'll vaccinate our people, and people in other parts of the world can take care of their own."

John Nkengasong, speaking Thursday to reporters, said that "it's in no one's interest we continue to be in this tense situation," and said more could have been done to address the global COVID-19 vaccine inequality. But he celebrated that Ghana has become the first country in the world to receive vaccines via the global COVAX effort aimed at distributing doses to low-income countries.

The US federal government plan to give out face masks to parts of the country especially affected by infection.
In the Americas, U.S. President Joe Biden plans to distribute millions of face masks to Americans in communities hard-hit by the coronavirus.

Pakistan will re-open schools, parks, cinemas, indoor dining, and wedding receptions over the next couple of weeks.
In the Asia-Pacific region, Pakistan will resume regular classes five days per week at all schools from March 1 amid a steady decrease in COVID-19 cases and deaths. Education Minister Shafqat Mahmood made the announcement Thursday on Twitter.

Pakistan closed classrooms in November amid a surge in infections. Schools were later opened in phases, but regular classes had not been allowed.

Authorities said Wednesday that they will allow opening of parks, cinemas and indoor dining and wedding receptions beginning on March 15. Pakistan has reported 12,772 deaths from the coronavirus. Pakistan is currently vaccinating health workers and elderly people using the Sinopharm vaccine donated by China.

Japan will end the state of emergency in the region west of Tokyo at the end of this month.
The Japanese government will end a state of emergency in five prefectures west of Tokyo at the end of this month, Kyodo news agency reported.

Finland will be closing restaurants and schools and ban public meetings of more than 6 people for three weeks beginning in early March due to the spread of the B117 variant.
Finland plans to reintroduce a state of emergency that would allow the Nordic country to close restaurants for a three-week period starting March 8 as it fights the variant first discovered in Britain.

Sweden are increasing restrictions.
Sweden stepped up pandemic restrictions to avoid a third wave,

There will be a lockdown in Dunkirk in France on the weekend.
while France's government ordered a weekend lockdown in the Dunkirk area to arrest an "alarming" rise in cases.

Italy will extend restrictions until after Easter.
Italy's government will extend restrictions already in place until after Easter,

Switzerland will start reducing restrictions.
while Switzerland announced the first phase in a cautious easing from restrictions.

1614299190420.png

German MP faces bribery allegations over COVID masks deal | DW | 25.02.2021

It was a survey on how social and political attitudes affect people's opinions on vaccination. It actually said that Brexit and Green party voters were least likely to say they would get vaccinated, and that having voted Brexit also means someone is slightly (7 per cent) more likely to say they won't get vaccinated. It also says that ethnic minorities, non-voters, younger people, and poorer people were more likely to say they don't intend to get vaccinated.

However, take all that with a grain of salt. That's what people currently say they will do. The survey also notes that the number of people who say they are "very likely" to get vaccinated has increased from 50 per cent to more than 75 per cent between October and February.

There is likely a big "FU" factor in all this, in which people express their unhappiness about one government policy or another by saying they won't eat their vegetables or have their vaccine just because. Polls are a reflection of what people say, and not necessarily of what they will do in future.

There's an auld bloke I know called Henry, in his 80s, who tells me he's never had a vaccination in his life and he's never had a serious illness either. He told me he wouldn't be having the covid vaccine.

A few months pass and I bump into him again. "Did you get the vaccine?" I asked.

Sheepishly he explained he had because his daughter had gotten really angry with him, told him that she wouldn't visit him again, and hung the phone up.

So, tail between his legs, he went and got the vaccine.

Maybe the younger ones can get away with not having the vaccine, but I suspect Henry's experience is fairly common.

Latest Threads