MERS Coronavirus warning

AstraZeneca CEO.
Source: Repubblica.

Brussels is trying to requestion UK supplies.

In Short & depends on your interpretation , the EU want the UK to fail, end of.
5295154a70bf917a66d8632979666a3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

More on the riots in the Netherlands.
Dutch streets relatively calm as police out in force following days of anti-lockdown riots

Tuesday night is apparently calm, but around 500 people were detained over the past 3 days.
With shops boarded up and riot police out in force, it was relatively calm in Dutch cities on Tuesday night after three days of violence during which around 500 people were detained.

Monday night apparently saw widespread arson, stone throwing, and looting.
That was in stark contrast to Monday night, when rioting rocked cities across the country and more than 180 people were arrested for burning vehicles, stone throwing and widespread looting.

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Tuesday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Tuesday

The UK will be instituting tighter border controls. People arriving from southern Africa, South America, and Portugal will have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days at their own expense.
Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said there would be an announcement Tuesday on plans for tighter border measures. The BBC reported that U.K. citizens and residents arriving from most of southern Africa and South America, as well as Portugal, will have to self-isolate in a hotel for 10 days at their own expense.

Canada have announced plans to tighten border controls further, but there are no details as yet.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says new pandemic measures are coming for Canada and that Canadians should cancel any travel plans.

Trudeau said that even though existing travel control measures have been effective in keeping the number of infections low, more effort will be needed going forward.

As mentioned in a previous post, EU threats to cut off or restrict supplies of vaccine to Canada are causing great concern.
Trudeau sought to reassure Canadians on Tuesday that vaccine shots will continue to arrive even as the European Union threatens protectionist measures to limit the export of doses abroad.

The EU is poised to impose export controls on vaccines leaving the 27-member bloc to ensure supply on the continent. The proposal would require companies to seek approval before shipping vaccines to countries such as Canada.

Globally, there have been more than 100 million cases of COVID-19 so far, and more than 2.1 million deaths.
As of Tuesday afternoon, more than 100 million cases of COVID-19 had been reported worldwide, with more than 55.1 million of the cases considered recovered or resolved, according to a tracking tool maintained by Johns Hopkins University. The global death toll stood at more than 2.1 million.

French vaccine company Sanofi will apparently be giving up on their own vaccine and have reached an agreement with Pfizer and Biontech to produce the Biontech vaccine instead. They will produce more than 100 million doses by the end of the year.
French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi will produce more than 100 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine developed by its competitors Pfizer and BioNTech by the end of the year, CEO Paul Hudson told Le Figaro newspaper in an interview published on Tuesday.

As Sanofi and its British partner GlaxoSmithKline have delayed the launch of their shot to late 2021, the French company decided to approach Pfizer "in order to be helpful as of now," Hudson said, adding that an agreement with the U.S. company had been reached.

Portugal may has other EU countries to send medical staff to help them. Portugal have had the world's highest rate of new cases and deaths for a week now. Hospitals are under strain. They have beds, but they don't have the staff to make use of them.
In Portugal, the health minister said authorities are considering asking other European Union countries for help amid a steep surge in COVID-19 cases. Portugal has had the world's worst rate of new daily cases and deaths per 100,000 people for the past week, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.

Health Minister Marta Temido said sending patients to other EU countries is not uncommon in the bloc. But, she said, Portugal has the disadvantage of being geographically remote and hospitals across the continent are under pressure from the pandemic. She said the country may instead be asking for medical workers to be sent.

Portuguese hospitals are under severe strain, Temido told public broadcaster RTP. "We have beds available," she said. "What we're struggling with is finding staff."

That request may be difficult to fulfil, because all countries in the 27-nation bloc are dealing with their own pandemic strains, made more difficult now because of the emergence of virus variants.

Taiwan have quarantined 5,000 people in connection with an outbreak at a hospital.
In the Asia-Pacific region, health authorities in Taiwan are quarantining 5,000 people while looking for the source of two new coronavirus cases linked to a hospital.

Total cases in Indonesia have topped 1 million, and deaths 28,468. They started vaccinations recently.
Indonesia's confirmed coronavirus infections since the pandemic began crossed one million on Tuesday and hospitals in some hard-hit areas were near capacity.

Indonesia's Health Ministry announced that new daily infections rose by 13,094 on Tuesday to bring the country's total to 1,012,350, the most in Southeast Asia. The total number of deaths reached 28,468.

The milestone comes just weeks after Indonesia launched a massive campaign to inoculate two-thirds of the country's 270 million people, with President Joko Widodo receiving the first shot of a Chinese-made vaccine.

Airlines in China are offering to refund tickets as the government tries to limit travel during Lunar New Year. China are currently dealing with a major outbreak in the northern part of the country.
Chinese airlines are offering refunded tickets as the coronavirus continues to spread in the country's northeast. The offer Tuesday from the government's aviation authority comes amid a push to prevent people travelling during the Lunar New Year holiday next month.

Russia and China are talking to Zimbabwe about supply vaccine to them.
In Africa, Russia and China have approached Zimbabwe about supplying vaccines to tackle its escalating COVID-19 outbreak amid concern about Harare's ability to afford the shots.

I took my mum for her first jab today. I made better time getting her and getting to the center than expected so got there 20 minutes early and was happy to wait in the car to save cluttering the place up. Nope, they had her out of the car and registered straight away before I could park. I went to park the car and came back to the pick up point with a brolly.

I had read online about a couple of people who had their jabs in the same center and they had to go for a sit in a waiting room for 10-15 minutes after their jab to make sure they had no reactions.

I got speaking to one of the ushers and he told me there is no wait today as they are on astrazenica and the wait is after the Pfizer shots as there has been quite a few slightly worrying reactions. If she was driving herself she would have had to wait 10-15 minutes, with the pfizer it could have been 40-45 minutes if she was driving.

I'd not heard that before.

She was out and home by her appointed slot.
Exactly the same drills at the vaccination center that I volunteer at.
When we switched from Pfizer to AZ, no waiting time if you had a chauffeur.
The bottleneck was always the 15 minute waiting time.

We have no stock of either vaccine now and are waiting to hear if we are getting stock for the week end (may find out Thursday/Friday).
Since the 15th we have been doing about 300 jabs a day and ran out at 19.00 on the 24th.
This is a rural GP practice, not a super vaccination centre.

philc

LE
Seeing as this is an ex Forces web site and its Holocaust Memorial day thought I would post this.

Isn’t one of the reasons the EU didn’t order enough doses because they were betting on the Sanofi one being viable

Probably they sank EU money into it , just like we did with Oxford / AZ

Its no coincidence that the EU spite has kicked in now,

Archie

Isn’t one of the reasons the EU didn’t order enough doses because they were betting on the Sanofi one being viable

Probably they sank EU money into it , just like we did with Oxford / AZ

Its no coincidence that the EU spite has kicked in now,

Archie
I suspect that there is also no coincidence that the UK Government were making a big thing about the confidentiality in the details of vaccine supplies just a couple of weeks ago.

I suspect that there is also no coincidence that the UK Government were making a big thing about the confidentiality in the details of vaccine supplies just a couple of weeks ago.

The UK based scientist at a UK University with a UK / Swedish company developed the most scalable / cost effective / logistically simply vaccine at COST for the rest of the world are you surprised that the UK has had first dibs

Anyway I don't know why the Europeans are bleating they have not approved it for use yet

I expect the Astra Zeneca batches the UK are using at the moment have been manufactured in the UK - no good sending those batches to Europe they would be stuck in EU Customs for a couple of months to spite the UK for Brexit

Archie

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oh I think what the EU is doing and saying (and its reasons) are legitimate subjects in this thread. If we can just stick to the facts we can hopefully get through unscathed ;)
From CNN ( other news outlets are widely available)

Leaders of the 27-nation bloc are visibly furious with AstraZeneca, saying the vaccine maker is failing to meet contractual obligations to deliver hundreds of millions of doses by spring – while appearing to have no trouble fulfilling orders for other customers. The company blames “reduced yields at a manufacturing site within our European supply chain.”

But the EU is counting on AstraZeneca. It has already ordered 300 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine with an option to purchase an additional 100 million – which all together would be enough to immunize nearly half the bloc’s population.

The dispute got ugly fast. On Monday, EU Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides implicitly threatened to slap export controls on vaccine doses, tweeting: “In the future, all companies producing vaccines against Covid-19 in the EU will have to provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries.”

That raised alarm bells in London, where there was immediate concern that the UK and EU – just finished with their high-stakes Brexit divorce – might compete for vaccine doses. The United Kingdom hit a terrible milestone on Tuesday, becoming the fifth (and smallest) country to suffer 100,000 coronavirus deaths. But it still boasts a relatively robust vaccination program, with about about 10% of its people already immunized, compared with big European countries: Spain, Italy and Germany have vaccinated just over 2% of their populations. Poland is at 2%, while France is at 1.6%.

French and German leaders have urged their nations to be patient, but across the continent, citizens must be wondering if the 27-nation group – so often criticized for its rules and bureaucracy -- is simply too slow to handle the crisis. After all, the AstraZeneca vaccine that EU leaders are demanding is not yet even approved for use in the bloc

Terminal reported the German Press is happily recycling Internet rumours about the efficacy of the Oxford/ Astra-Zeneca .

Why ? What possible motive could Germany have for dissing the Astra-Zeneca solution ?

Well, the alternative is the German-manufactured Moderna/BionTech vaccine - so one motive could possibly be.......EUROS ?

Cynical ? moi ? heaven forfend.......

The UK based scientist at a UK University with a UK / Swedish company developed the most scalable / cost effective / logistically simply vaccine at COST for the rest of the world are you surprised that the UK has had first dibs
Not at all, no. How you got that from from my post, I have no idea.

Anyway I don't know why the Europeans are bleating they have not approved it for use yet
Correct, and someone inside the German Government is sending signals to discredit it, for whatever reason.

I expect the Astra Zeneca batches the UK are using at the moment have been manufactured in the UK - no good sending those batches to Europe they would be stuck in EU Customs for a couple of months to spite the UK for Brexit

Archie
And now we're getting to the point of my post. You expect that the AZ batches that the UK are using have been manufactured in the UK, but nobody knows for sure. What we do know is that the UK Government have energetically suppressed discussion about where they actually were manufactured. It's therefore no surprise that the Europeans suspect that supplies that they expected to get have in fact been diverted to the UK.

Isn’t one of the reasons the EU didn’t order enough doses because they were betting on the Sanofi one being viable?
A number of other countries placed bets on multiple vaccines and ordered far more than they needed from different suppliers in case some didn't work out. The EU didn't do this. When the Sanofi vaccine looked good in preliminary trials but failed during large scale trials, they were left with a shortage.

Latest Threads