Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

I did wonder how long it would be before some would abuse their positions

Hopefully a few misconduct in public office will bring such people inline. Although I do understand that the Welsh Police are very busy fining people speeding.

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Saturday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Saturday

Hong Kong are in lockdown, with residents told to remain in their homes.
In Asia, thousands of Hong Kong residents were locked down in their homes on Saturday in an unprecedented move to contain a worsening coronavirus outbreak in the city.

Oslo is also under lockdown, to control the spread of new variant virus.
In Europe, the Norwegian capital of Oslo, and nine other municipalities, have been placed under strict restrictions to contain the spread of the new variant of the coronavirus first detected in the U.K.

And continuing the theme, Brazil's Amazonas province are also under lockdown. The health system there has been overwhelmed with cases.
In the Americas, the governor of Brazil's Amazonas state has announced tough new lockdown measures to combat a surge in COVID-19 cases that has overwhelmed local hospitals.

Morocco have reported received two million doses of the Oxford-Astrazenica vaccine. I'm not sure if they have actually have them in their hands, or if this is just a contract to supply 2 million doses over a period of time. If it is the former, then they are well ahead of a lot of other wealthier countries, which is why I suspect it may actually be the latter.
In Africa, Morocco received two million doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine, becoming the first African country to get a large enough shipment to roll out a nationwide immunization program.

My sister got pinged on Friday by the NHS covid tracker.
Neither her or her husband have left the house for 4 weeks. All deliveries have been left on the doorstep by her daughter.
It seems the Bluetooth signal is a bit strong, as their next door neighbor is a doctor who has Covid.

My sister got pinged on Friday by the NHS covid tracker.
Neither her or her husband have left the house for 4 weeks. All deliveries have been left on the doorstep by her daughter.
It seems the Bluetooth signal is a bit strong, as their next door neighbor is a doctor who has Covid.

The elderly parents of one of my lads at work both got it, one hospitalised.
Neither has left the house since the forst lockdown.

Apparently the only possible way they got it was from a shopping delivery. No person to person contact

Fair few politicians and others have been jumping the queues in Spain for getting the vaccine. Two mayors in the Valencia region (both married to each other and mayors of adjacent towns) were the first to get the boot and said they had them because there were spares.

Then a meeting of all the health ministers from the regions got a bit disrupted when the Min of Health of the Murcia region was forced to resign after getting one. He is a doctor but not on the front line so wasn't in the first lot.

The head doctor in a hospital got censured when it was found he'd called all his family in to get the vaccines.

All in all, some 147 bigwigs have been booted out or called on to resign for jumping the queues. Excuses ranged from "they were left over" to "I wanted to set an example to those worried about having it". Min of Health for Spain said this wasn't acceptable and, if some were left over, they should have called those in the next priority.

Then, to cap it all off, the Chief of the Defence Staff, General of the Air Force Miguel Villarroya, submitted his resignation for having the vaccine. The resignation has been accepted and he has to submit a report explaining why up to 100 military and civilian commanders in the Defence Staff have been vaccinated along with a Lt Col in the Guardia Civil who was working as liaison officer with the Min of Defence.
Not a very auspicious ending of a 45 year career by the General.

As of today, Spain has completed around 1.5 million vaccines which is 82% of the ones they have received. The remaining ones are to be used as the second dose this week and, if Pfizer manages to supply the promised amount of doses, they will be used to give the first dose to primary care medical and dental staff along with the over 80s. The limited number of Moderna vaccines will be held to give the second dose to those in residential homes who got the first ones a few weeks ago. So far almost 700,000 have received both doses of the vaccine after 3 weeks. The Moderna ones are given 4 weeks after the first.

If the two questions about the AZ vaccine can be answered (why the extra cover to those with lower doses? and What degree of protection does it give to the over 55s? Apparently AZ provided the data about other age groups but the tests on over 55s was not sufficient to show the efficiency amongst the older groups. AZ have been carrying out tests on 30,000 over 55s in America as the CDC had the same questions) then the AZ vaccine will be given approval on 29th Jan although AZ have said they can't meet the numbers they promised in the first couple of weeks.

Pfft! Amateurs. SA minister of health jumped the queue for a liver transplant after pickling the first one in vodka and champagne.

She then proceeded to utterly destroy the new one before succumbing to the effects of doing so.

good luck

Anyhow magic question again : why is there a mega high death rate and the Midnight burning over there. Are they Covid CoD or other causes , natural old age , underlying conditions etc etc or folk have symptoms don’t recognise till its too late like it is here.

cheers
Can’t really give a definitive answer on that.
Cantonal govts are producing their figures, but it is widely believed that most of the data/deaths are Covid related rather than Covid cause.
While there is a high incidence of old age, that may be a factor.
The town we live in, pop just a bit N of 4200, I understand has the highest recorded number of centenarians in Switzerland , and the elderly are pretty bloody fit: there are only three invalid chariots in the whole town, everybody else is on Shanks’ Pony when going about their daily business. (Comparison with the UK is quite striking.)
Another factor in the numbers.
Daughter is No3 in the logistics dept of the company she works for and, as such, deals with orders and deliveries of medical gases to all medical establishments in North Vaud: the company is the sole supplier to the area.
At the height of the previous wave, an order for the largest local hospital was quite a few pallets of 15 large cylinders of O2 per day. Last Friday they only asked for two. Make of that what you will, but she and her work colleagues feel it’s a good indicator when the requirement is almost back to pre-pandemic levels.
I’m going to add another point here, which should really go into NAAFI for the fun. If anybody spots where it could usefully be, please feel free to move it.
The Swiss Army has moved to working from home.
The latest intake of recruit conscripts has started Basic on-line.
According to one of my daughter’s colleagues - who thought somebody was extracting the urine when he heard, so checked it out - the new intake’s first lessons, to be followed on line and demonstrated back on Zoom (or somesuch), have been Recognition of Ranks, and Saluting.
The mind boggles as to where they’ll go after that!
Imagine just being able to turn down the volume on the scary shouty man!

Can’t really give a definitive answer on that.
Cantonal govts are producing their figures, but it is widely believed that most of the data/deaths are Covid related rather than Covid cause.
While there is a high incidence of old age, that may be a factor.
The town we live in, pop just a bit N of 4200, I understand has the highest recorded number of centenarians in Switzerland , and the elderly are pretty bloody fit: there are only three invalid chariots in the whole town, everybody else is on Shanks’ Pony when going about their daily business. (Comparison with the UK is quite striking.)
Another factor in the numbers.
Daughter is No3 in the logistics dept of the company she works for and, as such, deals with orders and deliveries of medical gases to all medical establishments in North Vaud: the company is the sole supplier to the area.
At the height of the previous wave, an order for the largest local hospital was quite a few pallets of 15 large cylinders of O2 per day. Last Friday they only asked for two. Make of that what you will, but she and her work colleagues feel it’s a good indicator when the requirement is almost back to pre-pandemic levels.
I’m going to add another point here, which should really go into NAAFI for the fun. If anybody spots where it could usefully be, please feel free to move it.
The Swiss Army has moved to working from home.
The latest intake of recruit conscripts has started Basic on-line.
According to one of my daughter’s colleagues - who thought somebody was extracting the urine when he heard, so checked it out - the new intake’s first lessons, to be followed on line and demonstrated back on Zoom (or somesuch), have been Recognition of Ranks, and Saluting.
The mind boggles as to where they’ll go after that!
Imagine just being able to turn down the volume on the scary shouty man!
Cheers bud very informative ..as I thought .

Same scenario in my other neck of the woods next door to you ....standard and Quality of life is high especially for the elders, more fit active than some of our elderly. Not unusual to see 70-80 year olds walking up and dowon Mountain with sticks in the Summer.

Wouldn't surprise me the Swiss conscript Reserve mil basic training is done that way ...and everyone can do weapon drills from home as they keep their weapon there.

Only flying Training and stuff ..it has to be on site lol. Esepcially those converting to F/A-18C/D Hornet or AS532UT / AS332M Cougar Super Puma LOL.

Interesting about the reduced need for oxygen by 70 percent for hospital. wondering with the deaths and the likes of Reuters, The Fail embelishing the situation re the backlog of caskets.

stay safe

cheers

Last edited:
An interesting point made earlier about the winter flu variants being less prevalent this year due to mask wearing.

It's been the best year for ages in terms of not hacking a lung up ever 3 months due to some mackem-originated plague.

Ah, the Brussels variant - first detected in Kent, traced to BELGIUM.
Commendably patriotic of you, but I'd be interested to see a reputable source for that claim. Some cases were certainly reported in Belgium, France, Italy and elsewhere subsequent to the UK outbreak. (Belgium, the Netherlands Germany, Italy, France and several other countries banned travel from the UK immediately before Christmas).

Although an original source might never be established, there is no doubt that the first significant clustering of this particular variant centred on Kent.

As far as I am aware, the only highly efficient killer emanating from Belgium is that rifle.

An interesting point made earlier about the winter flu variants being less prevalent this year due to mask wearing.

It's been the best year for ages in terms of not hacking a lung up ever 3 months due to some mackem-originated plague.
The drop in people having colds and flu this year has started to make a small financial impact here in Canada. Sales of lozenges and such have dropped off enough that some cold and flu remedy manufacturers have laid workers off because their products are just not selling.

CaptainCowpat

Old-Salt
Commendably patriotic of you, but I'd be interested to see a reputable source for that claim. Some cases were certainly reported in Belgium, France, Italy and elsewhere subsequent to the UK outbreak. (Belgium, the Netherlands Germany, Italy, France and several other countries banned travel from the UK immediately before Christmas).

Although an original source might never be established, there is no doubt that the first significant clustering of this particular variant centred on Kent.

As far as I am aware, the only highly efficient killer emanating from Belgium is that rifle.

Yeah it's true, traced back to Belgium. It's down to the UK having something like 60% of the world's genome sequencing capacity. UK shared the data to help, ironically EU shut borders with the UK as a result despite it was the UK essentially going "You lot need to be worried, this strain is already over there but you haven't the ability to know, so we're letting you know"

Politics is a funny old game

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Indeed Provost - always good to fact check. Accuracy is all.

Like all of us, I have seen and heard so much on Covid I am heartily sick of it.

If I can pick out the news -source I got that snippet from then I will post it here.

This is the British genome sequencing organisation that first detected the new variant :

Reflections on the achievements of COG-UK - COG-UK Consortium

Interestingly, the EU is now urging member states to step up their own genome sequencing capability

Last edited:

Newcastle is more of a transport hub, ie: Ponteland and Darras international airport, I'd wager more plague generates from the Toon.

Indeed Provost - always good to fact check. Accuracy is all.

Like all of us, I have seen and heard so much on Covid I am heartily sick of it.

If I can pick out the news -source I got that snippet from then I will post it here.
There was an article posted last spring about there being Asian, European, and specifically Belgian variants of the virus identified then. The European variant was much more infectious than the Asian variant. There wasn't much attention paid to the Belgian variant however, except to acknowledge that it existed.

I don't know what the situation is now with the variants, but it would be interesting to know if any of the newly identified variants are somehow related to the Belgian variant that was identified in the spring.

If you can find some new information about this, it could be quite interesting.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks Terminal.

If I get any joy I will post here.

The reality is that there are plenty of people out there with a vested interest in labelling the latest variety ' the British Flu' or some such b0llocks.

Let's get a bit of ground truth established, one way or another.

TamH70

MIA
Pfft! Amateurs. SA minister of health jumped the queue for a liver transplant after pickling the first one in vodka and champagne.

She then proceeded to utterly destroy the new one before succumbing to the effects of doing so.
Oh, I know that bitch. I may have mentioned her on this site a few times.

I had flu late last year and I’m very careful since March (did have flu jab)

in fairness though it was probably not a bad a dose as it normally would be

Latest Threads