MERS Coronavirus warning

The following is a story on how European countries are not pleased at the cut back in vaccine supply from Pfizer as the company shuts down temporarily in order to expand production.
Several European countries deal with impact of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine disruption

It's not clear just what the exact situation is, but from the descriptions given it appears that different European countries are being affected to different degrees rather than the vaccine being distributed evenly.

There is also apparently a looming shortage of syringes which will become a new bottleneck once vaccine supplies resume.
Pfizer used to have a huge plant in Sandwich, Kent. Unfortunately it shut down a few years ago. Could have done with it now.

shellbackmac

Old-Salt
Brief extract of today's Covid-19 Daily briefing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
This did sound horrendous when I saw it as breaking news "Kent virus 30 percent more deadly!" but when I had calmed down and emerged from behind the couch it breaks down as follows:

"Prof Neil Ferguson, who sits on Nervtag, the Government's virus advisory committee, said the latest data showed up to 13 in 1000 people aged 60 who contract the variant strain could die, compared with 10 in 1000 who caught the original variant. "

These figures of an extra 3 over 60's in every 1000 over 60's were echoed by Sir Patrick Vallance during Boris's dit.

didn’t think it was that Bad in the Land of cuckoo clocks, fondue and chocolate

Sadly it’s a case of burning the Midnight oil literally ...

And then there are Brit skiers fleeing ski resorts before quarantine.

The country has an excellent standard ( expensive) of living and healthcare...so it’s worrying ...when they come to this, also helluva less population than we.

cheers

Last edited:
The health system in France has always been held up as the envy of a lot of countries, but in my local department of 400,000 inhabitants there will only be 12,000 vaccines available in the next 28 days.
According to an online calculator I am also 10,785,434 in the queue of circa 17,000,000 in my group nationally (the least at risk and last to be done tranche) and I should therefore prepare to be ready in September or so.
Luckily I did O level maths and therefore will not be rushing into things.

Apparently it’s “illegal” to photograph an NHS Covid-19 test facility!? That’s what I was told by a rather over zealous Security guard who threatened to call the Police and when I told him fine he backed down!

For your viewing delight here ya go:

8a59593741082f079551cef3f242b0ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats not a Testing Centre.

This is a Testing Centre

Screenshot_20210123-162521_Chrome.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

At last, something that really is world beating.

Ah, the Brussels variant - first detected in Kent, traced to BELGIUM.

The health system in France has always been held up as the envy of a lot of countries, but in my local department of 400,000 inhabitants there will only be 12,000 vaccines available in the next 28 days.
According to an online calculator I am also 10,785,434 in the queue of circa 17,000,000 in my group nationally (the least at risk and last to be done tranche) and I should therefore prepare to be ready in September or so.
Luckily I did O level maths and therefore will not be rushing into things.

Meanwhile, as of today, UK has provided 5.8M people with their first shot.....thanks European Medicine Agency.....

The BBC would report that as

' Chaos at undermanned rural vaccination clinic as plague victim arrives ...tragic scenes with multiple RTC's and 350 people stabbed , because of Brexit, grrr Boris' :roll:

FTFY

Fair few politicians and others have been jumping the queues in Spain for getting the vaccine. Two mayors in the Valencia region (both married to each other and mayors of adjacent towns) were the first to get the boot and said they had them because there were spares.

Then a meeting of all the health ministers from the regions got a bit disrupted when the Min of Health of the Murcia region was forced to resign after getting one. He is a doctor but not on the front line so wasn't in the first lot.

The head doctor in a hospital got censured when it was found he'd called all his family in to get the vaccines.

All in all, some 147 bigwigs have been booted out or called on to resign for jumping the queues. Excuses ranged from "they were left over" to "I wanted to set an example to those worried about having it". Min of Health for Spain said this wasn't acceptable and, if some were left over, they should have called those in the next priority.

Then, to cap it all off, the Chief of the Defence Staff, General of the Air Force Miguel Villarroya, submitted his resignation for having the vaccine. The resignation has been accepted and he has to submit a report explaining why up to 100 military and civilian commanders in the Defence Staff have been vaccinated along with a Lt Col in the Guardia Civil who was working as liaison officer with the Min of Defence.
Not a very auspicious ending of a 45 year career by the General.

As of today, Spain has completed around 1.5 million vaccines which is 82% of the ones they have received. The remaining ones are to be used as the second dose this week and, if Pfizer manages to supply the promised amount of doses, they will be used to give the first dose to primary care medical and dental staff along with the over 80s. The limited number of Moderna vaccines will be held to give the second dose to those in residential homes who got the first ones a few weeks ago. So far almost 700,000 have received both doses of the vaccine after 3 weeks. The Moderna ones are given 4 weeks after the first.

If the two questions about the AZ vaccine can be answered (why the extra cover to those with lower doses? and What degree of protection does it give to the over 55s? Apparently AZ provided the data about other age groups but the tests on over 55s was not sufficient to show the efficiency amongst the older groups. AZ have been carrying out tests on 30,000 over 55s in America as the CDC had the same questions) then the AZ vaccine will be given approval on 29th Jan although AZ have said they can't meet the numbers they promised in the first couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Fair few politicians and others have been jumping the queues in Spain for getting the vaccine. Two mayors in the Valencia region (both married to each other and mayors of adjacent towns) were the first to get the boot and said they had them because there were spares.

Then a meeting of all the health ministers from the regions got a bit disrupted when the Min of Health of the Murcia region was forced to resign after getting one. He is a doctor but not on the front line so wasn't in the first lot.

The head doctor in a hospital got censured when it was found he'd called all his family in to get the vaccines.

All in all, some 147 bigwigs have been booted out or called on to resign for jumping the queues. Excuses ranged from "they were left over" to "I wanted to set an example to those worried about having it". Min of Health for Spain said this wasn't acceptable and, if some were left over, they should have called those in the next priority.

Then, to cap it all off, the Chief of the Defence Staff, General of the Air Force Miguel Villarroya, submitted his resignation for having the vaccine. The resignation has been accepted and he has to submit a report explaining why up to 100 military and civilian commanders in the Defence Staff have been vaccinated along with a Lt Col in the Guardia Civil who was working as liaison officer with the Min of Defence.
Not a very auspicious ending of a 45 year career by the General.

As of today, Spain has completed around 1.5 million vaccines which is 82% of the ones they have received. The remaining ones are to be used as the second dose this week and, if Pfizer manages to supply the promised amount of doses, they will be used to give the first dose to primary care medical and dental staff along with the over 80s. The limited number of Moderna vaccines will be held to give the second dose to those in residential homes who got the first ones a few weeks ago. So far almost 700,000 have received both doses of the vaccine after 3 weeks. The Moderna ones are given 4 weeks after the first.

If the two questions about the AZ vaccine can be answered (why the extra cover to those with lower doses? and What degree of protection does it give to the over 55s? Apparently AZ provided the data about other age groups but the tests on over 55s was not sufficient to show the efficiency amongst the older groups. AZ have been carrying out tests on 30,000 over 55s in America as the CDC had the same questions) then the AZ vaccine will be given approval on 29th Jan although AZ have said they can't meet the numbers they promised in the first couple of weeks.
Looks like your "betters" are even more dishonest than those in the UK.

Awaits: "belters" FTFY.

didn’t think it was that Bad in the Land of cuckoo clocks, fondue and chocolate

Sadly it’s a case of burning the Midnight oil literally ...

And then there are Brit skiers fleeing ski resorts before quarantine.

The country has an excellent standard ( expensive) of living and healthcare...so it’s worrying ...when they come to this, also helluva less population than we.

cheers
As of Friday evening, the Canton de Vaud University Hospital (CHUV) in Lausanne is pretty much out of vaccine, and doesn’t know when their vaccination call centre will be able to book appointments again. Edit: Forgot to say, even for the highest priority patients, of which the Frau is one. That’s how we know!
Edit:
Point of order: Traditional Cuckoo clocks are from the Black Forest, not Switzerland.

Last edited:
Ah, the Brussels variant - first detected in Kent, traced to BELGIUM.

Meanwhile, as of today, UK has provided 5.8M people with their first shot.....thanks European Medicine Agency.....

When I said earlier that I may get my jab in September, I didn't think it would be September 2024 going at current rates of vaccination.
Somewhat at odds with the Health Minister who reckons we will all have been done right across the country by the end of August.

For a native Frenchman it seems to have slipped his memory the very large amount of work that actually gets accomplished in the month of August every year.
A slip of the tongue I am sure.

As of Friday evening, the Canton de Vaud University Hospital (CHUV) in Lausanne is pretty much out of vaccine, and doesn’t know when their vaccination call centre will be able to book appointments again. Edit: Forgot to say, even for the highest priority patients, of which the Frau is one. That’s how we know!
Edit:
Point of order: Traditional Cuckoo clocks are from the Black Forest, not Switzerland.
good luck

Anyhow magic question again : why is there a mega high death rate and the Midnight burning over there. Are they Covid CoD or other causes , natural old age , underlying conditions etc etc or folk have symptoms don’t recognise till its too late like it is here.

cheers

Latest Threads