Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

crow_bag

War Hero
I wonder whether we are also still seeing some late reported deaths from over Christmas and new year.

Aside from vaccinations, I’m not sure what else the government can do to slow the rate of infection. Stricter rules for the lockdown could help, but we don’t have the police to enforce them, and to many people are all me me me and would do everything they could to break/bend the rules.

Truxx

LE
I wonder whether we are also still seeing some late reported deaths from over Christmas and new year.

Aside from vaccinations, I’m not sure what else the government can do to slow the rate of infection. Stricter rules for the lockdown could help, but we don’t have the police to enforce them, and to many people are all me me me and would do everything they could to break/bend the rules.
Interesting point. An aged aunt I was NOK to died on 30th December ( massive stroke, not covid) Her death was not registered till 1330 today.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have not long got home after a nightmare shift as a vaccination marshal and am just sinking my second beer.
A patient walked in with a high temperature,was given a quick covid test, which was positive.
One room in the small surgery had to be decontaminated. So the capacity was down by 50% for nearly 2 hours.
As some people were turning up 70 to 45 minutes before their appointment time it was challenging to say the least.
4 cars crunched in reversing accidents and 1 vehicle breakdown. About 250 people stabbed in the arm.
The BBC would report that as

' Chaos at undermanned rural vaccination clinic as plague victim arrives ...tragic scenes with multiple RTC's and 350 people stabbed ' :roll:

Awful death toll in the UK today.
Unless it's deaths still catching up from the weekend.

E2a, half from today, a quarter from Sunday & Monday & a quarter from last week.
Another misleading headline from the BBC with the explanation for the high number way down the article.

Not sure why you cited the BBC as none of the other papers reporting it mention it either.
However, it doesn't really matter when they occurred. If loads were delayed from the weekend or even last week, it would surely mean that some weren't reported yesterday but will be included in a few days or so.

The fact that there have been almost 20,000 deaths reported in this very short year so far is the cause for concern.

The BBC may have headlined with that number, as did the other papers, but at least explained it. The Mail, on the other hand, states that figures lag a few weeks behind infections (obviously) and warn that next week's figure could be even higher when the spikes over the Christmas period start taking effect.

That's real doom mongering.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Kneecap everyone under the age of 40. That'll stop them running around and getting together.

It was 96% compliance according to ONS last week, the four percent is still an awful lot of people. Did the shop earlier, very quiet. Still morons with mask not covering nose etc.

Here's the COVID-19 summary for Wednesday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Wednesday

In the US, new president Biden issued orders requiring masks to be worn and physical distancing enforced in federal buildings, on federal land, and by federal employees and contractors. He also directed the US to rejoin the WHO.
U.S. President Joe Biden wasted no time addressing the COVID-19 pandemic after his inauguration. One of the first executive orders he signed as president requires masks to be worn and physical distancing measures to be followed in federal buildings, on federal land and by federal employees and contractors. The policy is a marked departure from former president Donald Trump, who often refused to wear a mask.

The 46th president of the United States is also directing the government to rejoin the World Health Organization.

The city of Manaus in the Amazon, Brazil ran out of oxygen and the health system has collapsed in a second wave there. The city of 2 million was well known world wide for their high death rate and rampant infection during the spring. Venezuela sent 132,000 litres of oxygen as aid on Tuesday overland by truck, and it arrived today. Brazil's president has been widely criticised for his poor handling of the pandemic, having downplayed its seriousness from the beginning.
In the Americas, five trucks carrying oxygen from Venezuela have arrived at Manaus, a city of two million people in the Brazilian rainforest where the local health system has collapsed amid a devastating second wave of COVID-19 and a severe shortage of oxygen for breathless patients.

Venezuela's consul in Manaus says the trucks delivered 132,000 litres of oxygen late Tuesday. They came from the state of Bolivar in southern Venezuela and travelled more than 1,500 kilometres to Manaus, the capital of Brazil's Amazonas state.

In China, officials will investigate everyone who entered the city from abroad after the 10th of December, and they also shut down a subway station. There has been a series of reports from northern China suggesting that they have an outbreak there which they are struggling to keep under control.
In the Asia-Pacific region, China's capital Beijing said it will investigate all individuals who entered the city from abroad from Dec. 10 and shut down a subway station after reporting the biggest daily jump in new COVID-19 cases in more than three weeks.

South Korea say they may place more orders for vaccine from US company Novavax, enough to cover 20 million people. Other reports have said that Novavax's vaccine is not expected to be ready to ship until mid-year at the earliest, so I don't know when the South Koreans expect to get this.
South Korea may secure additional coronavirus vaccines for 20 million people from U.S. drugmaker Novavax Inc., President Moon Jae-in said, according to a statement from the presidential office.

Kuwait have found their first cases of a more contagious variant of the virus in two women who had been in the UK.
In the Middle East, Kuwait has registered its first cases of a more contagious coronavirus variant in two Kuwaiti women who had been in Britain.

Dubai have ordered hospitals to cancel all non-essential surgeries for the next month. They have set a new infection record for the ninth day in a row, reporting 3,509 cases on Wednesday. The infection rate has tripled since November.
The government of Dubai on Wednesday ordered all hospitals to cancel non-essential surgeries for the next month as coronavirus infections surge to unprecedented heights in the United Arab Emirates. For the ninth consecutive day, the UAE shattered its record for new infections, reporting 3,509 cases. Daily infections in the country have nearly tripled since November.

France may see a rapid increase in the infection rate over the next few months due to new variants of the virus.
The spread of the coronavirus in France could sharply accelerate in the coming months due to the emergence of a more contagious variant, two Paris hospital executives said on Wednesday, raising fears of a third lockdown in the country.

Germany may close or restrict its borders with other EU countries if the rest of the EU do not get infections under control, particularly the new variant viruses.
In Europe, German Chancellor Angela Merkel warned Germany may need to consider border crossing curbs if other European countries do not act to halt the spread of the coronavirus, particularly its new, more transmissible variants.

Blogg

LE
Oh look:

"WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases.

This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity."

Stand by for wonderous drop in "cases" as single high cycle PCR test no longer = Covid

Oh look:

"WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases.

This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity."

Stand by for wonderous drop in "cases" as single high cycle PCR test no longer = Covid
Not being a doctor, does this mean "Be careful if converting statistics to real numbers. A false-positive percentage relates to the number of tests, not to the size of the population"? So you can't estimate the number of cases in the general population based on the results of a tested sample, the reason being that there are too many other factors to consider.

Not sure why you cited the BBC as none of the other papers reporting it mention it either.
However, it doesn't really matter when they occurred. If loads were delayed from the weekend or even last week, it would surely mean that some weren't reported yesterday but will be included in a few days or so.

The fact that there have been almost 20,000 deaths reported in this very short year so far is the cause for concern.

The BBC may have headlined with that number, as did the other papers, but at least explained it. The Mail, on the other hand, states that figures lag a few weeks behind infections (obviously) and warn that next week's figure could be even higher when the spikes over the Christmas period start taking effect.

That's real doom mongering.
The UK Coronavirus Dashboard contains figures for both day of reported death and date of death (it does the same for positive cases - day of report and date sample was taken). I tend to watch this and focus more on the date of death/sample rather than the BBC or newspaper reports.

UK coronavirus dashboard

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Latest stats update is encouraging.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not according to my newspaper (Times) where a consortium of medical people are quoted as questioning the validity of the government's plan for possible second injections of vaccine.

Not according to my newspaper (Times) where a consortium of medical people are quoted as questioning the validity of the government's plan for possible second injections of vaccine.
The government's plan is questionable as I doubt it'll reach the 16 Feb target however all this is based around supplies.

Plenty more venues opening up daily, from mosques to cinemas are currently now being used.

Meanwhile 5,000 Military medics being deployed in NI hospitals to aid the pandemic, much to SF displeasure.

Last edited:
Also, if you are planning any Saga cruises.
02541a6e191ecaeaea60ff103cddf9f7.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
" Sinn Fein opposes military medics in Ulster mercy mission '

Old issues, new problems - no new ways of thinking.

An example of malicious headline writing - actually what the Shinners have said is:

Sinn Féin’s co-leader of the executive, Deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill, signalled that her party had dropped opposition to use of the British military against the virus.

“Our priorities are to save lives, keep people safe and protect the health service. We do not rule out any measures,” she said. “Any effort to make the threat posed by COVID-19 into a green and orange issue is divisive and a distraction

'

Also, if you are planning any Saga cruises.

Whatever next?
A compulsory blue rinse for the ladies?
The wheel appears to be wobbling on the French vaccination bus, the press are picking up on clinics in Paris receiving vaccines on the day of their expiry date, desperately phoning round to get anyone in just to be able to use it.
Currently it should be over 75 year old people only, but that is not happening, anyone that is phoned just has to get there and be vaccinated.
Yesterday the Health Ministry reported 693,000 vaccinations done out of 2 million doses available.

Stronger together (again).

The government's plan is questionable as I doubt it'll reach the 16 Feb target however all this is based around supplies.

Plenty more venues opening up daily, from mosques to cinemas are currently now being used.

Meanwhile 5,000 Military medics being deployed in NI hospitals to aid the pandemic, much to SF displeasure.

5,000 military medics? Are there 5,000 medics in the British Army?

Whatever next?
A compulsory blue rinse for the ladies?
The wheel appears to be wobbling on the French vaccination bus, the press are picking up on clinics in Paris receiving vaccines on the day of their expiry date, desperately phoning round to get anyone in just to be able to use it.
Currently it should be over 75 year old people only, but that is not happening, anyone that is phoned just has to get there and be vaccinated.
Yesterday the Health Ministry reported 693,000 vaccinations done out of 2 million doses available.

Stronger together (again).
EU in general & French in particular disorganisation & bureaucracy.

Latest Threads