Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MERS Coronavirus warning

What makes you say that?

You have to have 2 doses for the vaccines to be fully effective, all they have discussed is stretching the period between the two jabs to 3 months instead of 3 weeks.

This has also been approved by the WHO for emergency situations, e.g. where demand is outstripping supply.

Unfortunately the gov ministers don't seem to be singing from the same song sheet. Hancock says by the end of June but Raab comes up and says probably not until the end of September. (interview today on Sky news) Even talking about stretching it out longer than 12 weeks to make sure everyone gets at least one dose which is causing a bit of angst among virologists.

To vaccinate that many people in the 9 months Raab is talking about will still be an incredible achievement, Doubt if anything like it has been done before and more power to their elbow. Just the members of the same government who keep coming out with conflicting statements.
 

crow_bag

War Hero
Unfortunately the gov ministers don't seem to be singing from the same song sheet. Hancock says by the end of June but Raab comes up and says probably not until the end of September. (interview today on Sky news) Even talking about stretching it out longer than 12 weeks to make sure everyone gets at least one dose which is causing a bit of angst among virologists.

To vaccinate that many people in the 9 months Raab is talking about will still be an incredible achievement, Doubt if anything like it has been done before and more power to their elbow. Just the members of the same government who keep coming out with conflicting statements.
You'd think they'd all have the same brief before going Infront of the press.

On stretching the gap between jabs, isn't that a decision made my the medical people? I.e Boris Johnson couldn't just do it, it would need sign off by what ever body manages vaccinations etc.
 
Exactly who did discuss extending the period before the second dose?

Tony Blair. I posted about it. Then this happened:

1b.jpg
 

Truxx

LE
You'd think they'd all have the same brief before going Infront of the press.

On stretching the gap between jabs, isn't that a decision made my the medical people? I.e Boris Johnson couldn't just do it, it would need sign off by what ever body manages vaccinations etc.
The regulator.
 
with all the doom and gloom about cheer up on this one

Sister told me this evening , that her friend (85) was in hospital very ill with covid , in a coma, and wasn't expected to see out the night, her children and close family were allowed to visit, they were waiting for the end , when she sat up in bed , looked at the clock and asked them what the hell they were doing there at 3 in the morning, but as they were there get her something to eat she was bloody starving (she'd been unconcious for a week)
 

TamH70

MIA
with all the doom and gloom about cheer up on this one

Sister told me this evening , that her friend (85) was in hospital very ill with covid , in a coma, and wasn't expected to see out the night, her children and close family were allowed to visit, they were waiting for the end , when she sat up in bed , looked at the clock and asked them what the hell they were doing there at 3 in the morning, but as they were there get her something to eat she was bloody starving (she'd been unconcious for a week)
Excellent news.
 
Here's the COVID-19 summary for Sunday.
Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Sunday

Austria are extending lockdown until the 7th of Februrary.
In Europe, Austria is extending its lockdown until Feb. 7 in an attempt to bring down still-high infection figures, as authorities worry about the possible impact of more infectious variants of the coronavirus.

Pakistan have approved the Oxford vaccine. They will be trying to make it available in the first quarter of the year.
In Asia, Pakistan's planning minister says the country's drug regulatory authority has approved the use of Oxford-AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine, and the government is trying to make it available by the first quarter of the year.

Mexico have had their second straight day of more than 20,000 cases. This seems to be indicative of a surge in cases.
In the Americas, Mexico posted its second straight day of more than 20,000 coronavirus cases, suggesting a surge in a country already struggling in many areas with overflowing hospitals.

Infection rates have risen rapidly in Ghana, and they may impose another lockdown if current trends continue.
In Africa, Ghana President Nana Akufo-Addo says infection rates are skyrocketing and warned he would impose another partial lockdown if the current trend is not curbed.
 
There have been comments on this thread of the UK finishing vaccination sooner than previous projections indicated. Ontario Canada have just said they hope to have everyone vaccinated by late July or early August. The original targets were some time in September.

That however depends on vaccine supply, including whether additional vaccines are approved and can arrive in quantity and whether there are any additional disruptions in supply (e.g. as with the Pfizer situation). The capacity is being put in place however to administer those vaccines if they are available.

I suspect the situation in the UK may be similar. The new targets may reflect the system capacity to distribute and administer the vaccines, but the actual results will depend upon whether the supply can keep up.

Ontario wants everyone vaccinated by early August, general says
 
I have a general question for someone who knows about this sort of thing.

The Oxford vaccine is 60% effective after the first dose I believe. Leaving 40% ineffective.

Does the second dose give 60% effectiveness on the outstanding 40%? For example 60% is covered on the first dose, and the second dose gives 60% effectiveness of the remaining 40% (24% for those keeping up), giving a total after both doses have been given of 84% (60% + 24%).

Is that how the effectiveness of the second dose works?
 

TamH70

MIA
Got a text through this morning from my doctor's practice saying that they are only doing emergency appointments for the next few days as their staffing levels have been mauled by Covid.

Not good news but I suppose that it is to be expected.
 
Saw this on another site that I use and quite interesting

Talking to a GP in the family and they're getting 6 doses rather than 5 out of nearly every vial, meaning they've vaccinated a bunch of people in front line jobs who'd have been further down the priority list. 12 hour shifts with a break yesterday. Sounds like they've really stepped up a gear and the organisation is excellent, she is remarkably positive and chipper about the whole thing.
Yeah, there's a lot of "spare", but they can;t guarantee it = so my local practise have an "emergency" call sheet for the end of each day; effectively a list of people (mainly healthcare staff and close families) who can potentially come in inside 5 minutes of a call to soak up the spare doses. My name is somewhere on that list supposedly, although a fair way down as even that list is prioritised by risk factors
 
Got a text through this morning from my doctor's practice saying that they are only doing emergency appointments for the next few days as their staffing levels have been mauled by Covid.

Not good news but I suppose that it is to be expected.
My mother had her vaccination at her GP on Neilston Rd/Orr St on Friday. I imagine that the practice capacity to deal with other stuff will be impacted by doing vaccinations as well as any increased sickness levels that they might have.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Slight thread drift but I got one of the Google map things that tell me where I have been, as if I didn't know. But this month brought the annual record which showed that I travelled by car a distance of 763 miles in 2020, most of which was in the first three months! Being retired I don't travel much or far but would usually expect to run up that in a month, certainly in the Spring through to Autumn months. I think I filled petrol tank three times last year, more has probably gone in evaporation than driving!

Thread back now this highly interesting factoid has been posted :)
 

no f in beer

War Hero
I have a general question for someone who knows about this sort of thing.

The Oxford vaccine is 60% effective after the first dose I believe. Leaving 40% ineffective.

Does the second dose give 60% effectiveness on the outstanding 40%? For example 60% is covered on the first dose, and the second dose gives 60% effectiveness of the remaining 40% (24% for those keeping up), giving a total after both doses have been given of 84% (60% + 24%).

Is that how the effectiveness of the second dose works?

As it was explained to my missus. The first jab gives you 95% of the vaccine - Not its effectiveness, but dosage, the second jab gives you a booster.

So, assuming 60% effectivenss then that is what you get, but not the whole dose. How that affects effectiveness will be the work of maths folk
 
Slight thread drift but I got one of the Google map things that tell me where I have been, as if I didn't know. But this month brought the annual record which showed that I travelled by car a distance of 763 miles in 2020, most of which was in the first three months! Being retired I don't travel much or far but would usually expect to run up that in a month, certainly in the Spring through to Autumn months. I think I filled petrol tank three times last year, more has probably gone in evaporation than driving!

Thread back now this highly interesting factoid has been posted :)
I am probably back to 3 weeks to the gallon
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top