MERS Coronavirus warning

Allah be praised.:rolleyes:

'Pakistan has effective drug for COVID-19, Over 300,000 pieces exported to China, an article published by Economic Daily – China Economic Net (CEN) on February 21 has got 5.71 million page views on Toutiao.com and 38,000 likes.

'In nearly 10,000 comments, in addition to a lot of thanks to Pakistani friends for their help, some netizens were interested in the “multinational enterprise” mentioned in the CEN reporter’s article and wanted to know the hero behind the scenes who urgently dispensed the effective drugs at a Bayer subsidiary in Pakistan.'

And now the thing has hit Lombardy. Towns in lockdown and the mayor of Milan has closed all public offices.
I'm off to Milan in a couple of weeks time. Not going to panic, honest.
(Size 9L before anyone asks)

Allah be praised.:rolleyes:

'Pakistan has effective drug for COVID-19, Over 300,000 pieces exported to China, an article published by Economic Daily – China Economic Net (CEN) on February 21 has got 5.71 million page views on Toutiao.com and 38,000 likes.

'In nearly 10,000 comments, in addition to a lot of thanks to Pakistani friends for their help, some netizens were interested in the “multinational enterprise” mentioned in the CEN reporter’s article and wanted to know the hero behind the scenes who urgently dispensed the effective drugs at a Bayer subsidiary in Pakistan.'

Hmmmmm

Not sure it is a cure. Even less sure it is a Muslim miracle. It’s an old, and increasingly ineffective, drug for malaria (the parasite has developed resistance to it).

Chinese medical researchers stated to the media that in exploratory research considering a selection of 30 drug candidates, three of them, remdesivir, chloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir, seemed to have "fairly good inhibitory effects" on the coronavirus 2019-nCoV at the cellular level. Requests to start clinical testing were submitted.​
I don’t think that amounts to a cure.

However, the little angel sat on my right shoulder hopes that it is a cure, or at least does something useful.

The little devil sitting on my left shoulder says somebody probably wanted to offload a ton of old anti-malarials.

The little devil sitting on my left shoulder says somebody probably wanted to offload a ton of old anti-malarials.
Shame the old stock piles of Tami-Flu aren't around any more

Might be able to shift them in generic panic buying...

The government has said that it would stockpile the antiviral drug oseltamivir (marketed by Roche as Tamiflu) again, despite large amounts of previously bought supplies being written off and questions raised by experts over its effectiveness, MPs have been told.

Wasn't Coalition Government great?...

Hmmmmm

Cynic! You could not possibly mean that Mohammed, got his mate Mustafa, who works for the govt., to buy his warehouse full of, old, out of date, useless stock so that the govt. of Pakistan could brown nose send a goodwill gesture to China.

Win, win all around for the Pakistanis involved I would think.

Cynic! You could not possibly mean that Mohammed, got his mate Mustafa, who works for the govt., to buy his warehouse full of, old, out of date, useless stock so that the govt. of Pakistan could brown nose send a goodwill gesture to China.

Win, win all around for the Pakistanis involved I would think.
You could say that.

I couldn’t possibly comment.

You could say that.

I couldn’t possibly comment.
Having seen large corporates and senior govt types up close and personal I would not expect them to act any other way.

Robme

LE
I have long distrusted anything the Chinks have to say on anything, this virus and the numbers affected is but another reason not to trust them. They say they have locked down 55m citizens in the locality. That much is true as the WHO have confirmed. But the numbers affected is a joke. The Ship at Yokohama was a perfect test tube isolation Center and the number affected and catching the full blown virus better and more reflective than anything the Chinks want you to believe. I note that even the BBC are claiming that quarantine had gone wrong on the ship, well how about it didn’t? That the numbers reflect the reality of the virus. That the BBC and this Government are simply trying to censor the truth? A well respected BRITISH virologist was interviewed on Channel 4 recently and he said that there was every likelihood that 60% of the population in the event that this went worldwide would be affected. The Chinese have admitted that 1.8% of victims are dying of the virus
If we relate the figures released by non-chink sources from the Ship to China, then the reality of this is that currently 2million have the virus and 400,000 have died and that was as factored on last weeks figures. If the U.K. Prof is to believed then 28 million are or have the disease and around 11.2 million will or all ready have died. This would explain why the figures are leaping upwards, as the Chinese are attempting to fiddle the figures upwards in an effort to bring the numbers closer to reality.
Incidentally my MP is an ex-GP, and when I put these figures to him he didn’t contradict me.
Least we forget, that the Chinese have everything to gain if we believe their B/S.

I have long distrusted anything the Chinks have to say on anything, this virus and the numbers affected is but another reason not to trust them. They say they have locked down 55m citizens in the locality. That much is true as the WHO have confirmed. But the numbers affected is a joke. The Ship at Yokohama was a perfect test tube isolation Center and the number affected and catching the full blown virus better and more reflective than anything the Chinks want you to believe. I note that even the BBC are claiming that quarantine had gone wrong on the ship, well how about it didn’t? That the numbers reflect the reality of the virus. That the BBC and this Government are simply trying to censor the truth? A well respected BRITISH virologist was interviewed on Channel 4 recently and he said that there was every likelihood that 60% of the population in the event that this went worldwide would be affected. The Chinese have admitted that 1.8% of victims are dying of the virus
If we relate the figures released by non-chink sources from the Ship to China, then the reality of this is that currently 2million have the virus and 400,000 have died and that was as factored on last weeks figures. If the U.K. Prof is to believed then 28 million are or have the disease and around 11.2 million will or all ready have died. This would explain why the figures are leaping upwards, as the Chinese are attempting to fiddle the figures upwards in an effort to bring the numbers closer to reality.
Incidentally my MP is an ex-GP, and when I put these figures to him he didn’t contradict me.
Least we forget, that the Chinese have everything to gain if we believe their B/S.
I’m not convinced the data actually supports all of your comments.

The case fatality rate is currently 3%. The bad news is that this has been increasing every day for the last two weeks.

However, even if it was much higher than this it wouldn’t support your numbers of 2,000,000/400,000 and/or 28,000,000/11,200,000 Infected/dead. These are 20% and 40% death rates.

I agree the PRC are probably misreporting the numbers but I doubt if they could hide those sorts of numbers.

The case fatality rate is currently 3%. The bad news is that this has been increasing every day for the last two weeks.

However, even if it was much higher than this it wouldn’t support your numbers of 2,000,000/400,000 and/or 28,000,000/11,200,000 Infected/dead. These are 20% and 40% death rates.

I agree the PRC are probably misreporting the numbers but I doubt if they could hide those sorts of numbers.
And as we know, politicians (cue Diane Abbott) are so good with maths.

I think the more important question is at what point will the BBC go into, "It's the end of the world (and it's the West's fault) - PANIC" mode.

As is their wont...
No, they'll first have to use the line "Despite Brexit", and then go 'FULL DRAMA MODE' predicting the end of civilisation. My money's on Countryfile being the bearers of bad news.

Robme

LE

Just a minor point, these aren’t my minor points they are the wibblings of a very clever Prof (non Chink), and yes I got the maths wrong. 60% of 56m is around 38m And 1.8 of them is around 1,008,000. Whatever it‘s a heck of a lot more than the chinks are admitting. And you doubt they could hide those sorts of numbers? Well they are doing rather well at the moment?

Hopefully, some positive news, however tentative at the moment.

'Researchers from the University of Queensland say they have met a key milestone in a fast-tracked bid to develop a coronavirus vaccine.

'The team, working as part of the global Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations rapid response program, have created their first vaccine candidate for the deadly COVID-19 in the lab after just three weeks. The candidate will move immediately into further development before formal preclinical testing, the university announced on Friday. “There is still extensive testing to ensure that the vaccine candidate is safe and creates an effective immune response, but the technology and the dedication of these researchers means the first hurdle has been passed,” UQ Vice-Chancellor and President Professor Peter Hoj said in a statement.

'UQ says the proof-of-concept shows the feasibility of using its “molecular clamp” technology to engineer a vaccine candidate that could be more readily recognised by the immune system, triggering a protective immune response.'

Another tech question is what’s with charter 747 landing at Bsocombe Down instead of Brize??.

Was weather conditions or runway not ok at BZN? or is just convenient lol with Porton the other end of the runway

cheers

Joining the dots? A pity there's not more heft to the accusations, rather than apparent speculation.

'At an emergency meeting in Beijing held last Friday, Chinese leader Xi Jinping spoke about the need to contain the coronavirus and set up a system to prevent similar epidemics in the future.

'Xi didn’t actually admit that the coronavirus now devastating large swathes of China had escaped from one of the country’s bioresearch labs. But the very next day, evidence emerged suggesting that this is exactly what happened, as the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology released a new directive entitled: “Instructions on strengthening biosecurity management in microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus.” It turns out that in all of China there is only one. And this one is located in the Chinese city of Wuhan that just happens to be … the epicentre of the epidemic. That’s right. China’s only Level 4 microbiology lab that is equipped to handle deadly coronaviruses, called the National Biosafety Laboratory, is part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

'What’s more, the People’s Liberation Army’s top expert in biological warfare, a Maj. Gen. Chen Wei, was dispatched to Wuhan at the end of January to help with the effort to contain the outbreak. According to the PLA Daily, Gen. Chen has been researching coronaviruses since the SARS outbreak of 2003, as well as ebola and anthrax. This would not be her first trip to the Wuhan Institute of Virology either, since it is one of only two bioweapons research labs in all of China. Add to this China’s history of similar incidents. Even the deadly SARS virus has escaped — twice — from the Beijing lab where it was — and probably is — being used in experiments. Both “man-made” epidemics were quickly contained, but neither would have happened at all if proper safety precautions had been taken.

'And then there is this little-known fact: Some Chinese researchers are in the habit of selling their laboratory animals to street vendors after they have finished experimenting on them. Instead of properly disposing of infected animals by cremation, as the law requires, they sell them on the side to make a little extra cash. Or, in some cases, a lot of extra cash. One Beijing researcher, now in jail, made a million dollars selling his monkeys and rats on the live animal market, where they eventually wound up in someone’s stomach.'

The Weekend Australian reports that in Thailand students en route back to Australia for the start of the University year are being encouraged, including financially, to mark time in other countries for 14 days 'quarantine'. this picture in is captioned 'Sulli Qiam, 18, left, a University of Sydney student, has been in Bangkok for eight days of a two-week quarantine period before she can fly back to Australia.'

2f23132a73fac8c6ab7ee4133621dcf8.jpg

I don't know about the Arrserati, but this doesn't look much like quarantine to me and is more likely to spread the virus around wherever they are staying.

Latest Threads