MERS Coronavirus warning

Bit difficult as NY was founded 50 years after Nostradamus popped his clogs.
I’d have a bit more respect for old Nostro if he wrote stuff like:

“in ye latter part of ye twentieth century,
“Buy thee shares in the fruit of the Apple tree. And IBM”

Tool

LE
...and back to Covid-19. I'm at a loss as to why there have not been mass outbreaks in Africa. The Chinese are running riot throughout the continent. They prefer to use Chinese workers, so import them when work is needed. The sanitary conditions are not optimal. Is it down to the heat (or humidity) that is containing the virus?

Pop Smoke

Swinger
...and back to Covid-19. I'm at a loss as to why there have not been mass outbreaks in Africa. The Chinese are running riot throughout the continent. They prefer to use Chinese workers, so import them when work is needed. The sanitary conditions are not optimal. Is it down to the heat (or humidity) that is containing the virus?
I have a good friend who’s a Ugandan national living in Kampala and I was quizzing him about this the other day. I was interested to know if any African news outlets large or small were talking about actual or possible infections and this was flying under our news radar in Europe. He said he had heard nothing at all, only that a lot of prevention advice was being aired (wash hands well etc). He said there is more fear of the locust hoard ravaging East Africa at the moment.

Last edited:
Probably not much travel between China and Africa, even for Lunar New Year,due to the distance and cost? Once the staff are working in Africa they won't be flitting backwards and forwards much, and after all the publicity all the companies involved in making money will be reasonably careful not to spoil their chances.

Another statistical milestone 'achieved' in the spread and impact of COVID19.

'An Italian man has become the first European to die from the coronavirus, just hours after 10 towns in the north of the country were locked down following a spike in new cases.

'Adriano Trevisan, 78, who had tested positive for the virus, died in hospital where he had been admitted 10 days earlier for an unrelated health issue, Italy's health minister said. Trevisan, a retired bricklayer, was one of two people in the Veneto region diagnosed with the disease. Fifteen others were discovered to have caught the virus in Lombardy, which took immediate measures to isolate affected areas.'

Well, that didn't take long. The contagion, and the panic, continues to spread.

'A second person has died from coronavirus in Italy within the space of 24 hours. The woman from Milan’s Lombardy region was reported as dead hours after a 78-year-old retired bricklayer died last night near the city of Padua. Father-of-three Adriano Trevisan had been taken to hospital for another health issue ten days ago before he passed away, health authorities say. The death of the second unidentified victim has prompted shops, community centres and offices to shut.

'The hospital in the town of Codogno, southeast of Milan, has closed its emergency room as new beds and furniture were brought in for patients under quarantine. Its manager had travelled to China and has been isolated in another hospital despite showing no symptoms. Only a bakery and pharmacy were open in the town centre while other shops said they are closed due to a local ordinance.'

Read more: Coronavirus kills two people in Italy hours apart

There may be big trouble ahead

A 70-year-old man in China’s Hubei province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, suggesting the virus’s incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.
Iran

Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur said the new numbers bring the total number of cases of the new coronavirus in Iran to 28, with five of the total having died.
Nearly a 20% fatality rate in Iran.

Movement for Chinese workers in some countries has been frozen.

Significant secondary infection; hopefully not, but sounds like they're toast.

'A British couple who were diagnosed with coronavirus on board the bug-riddled Diamond Princess ship are 'in a bad way' after contracting pneumonia. David and Sally Abel, from Northamptonshire, have now been moved to a 'prison'-like hospital in Japan with the lung infection which is a known deadly complication of the deadly virus.'

On arrival in Nairobi was greeted at entrance to immigration with masked staff taking face temperatures as people passed, not very intrusive or delaying.

If Ghana is anything to go by they pretty much keep themselves to themselves wherever they are. Live in their own compounds with what are obviously former PLA types running security being very shouty towards anyone, particularly gwailo, who gets too close - AK’s in evidence.

So if they have bought anything in with them I would say it is a case of what happens in the compound stays in the compound. Perhaps with the odd large bundle being consigned to the onsite waste incinerator.

Last edited:
As with most things from China, needing to be taken with a large helping of salty, soy sauce ...

'A new study by Chinese researchers indicates the novel coronavirus may have begun human-to-human transmission in late November from a place other than the Huanan seafood market in Wuhan.

'The study published on ChinaXiv, a Chinese open repository for scientific researchers, reveals the new coronavirus was introduced to the seafood market from another location, and then spread rapidly from market to market. The findings were the result of analyses of genome-wide data, sources of infection and the route of spread of 93 samples of the novel coronavirus collected from 12 countries across four continents. The study believes that patient zero transmitted the virus to workers or sellers at the Huanan seafood market. The crowded market facilitated the further transmission of the virus to buyers, which caused a wider spread in early December 2019. According to the researchers, the new coronavirus experienced two sudden population expansions, including one on January 6, 2020, which was related to the Chinese New Year's Day holiday.

'An earlier expansion occurred on December 8, implying human-to-human transmission may have started in early December or late November, and then accelerated when it reached the Huanan seafood market. On January 6, the National Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a second-level emergency response, which the researchers said served as a warning against mass public activity and travel. If the warnings had received wider public attention, the number of cases spreading nationally and globally in mid-to-late January would have been lower, said the researchers.'

Patients from Australia, France, Japan and the US - countries with wider samples - have had at least two sources of infection, and the US in particular has reported five sources, the study said.

However, based upon limited samples in other countries, the source of most infections is deemed to be the same. In addition to their contact history with Wuhan, some may have been infected in South China's Guangdong Province and Singapore.

Just out of interest hands up if you have bought some face masks.

I use them when working on the house or spraying insecticide outside, I was in Home Depot buying stuff for working on the new house and the bloke mentioned they were flying off the shelves. I grabbed 10.

Other PPE: I always have a box of surgical type mechanics extra thick work gloves around (like the ones Edd China wears) and a few pairs ol skydive goggles.

I use them when working on the house or spraying insecticide outside, I was in Home Depot buying stuff for working on the new house and the bloke mentioned they were flying off the shelves. I grabbed 10.

Other PPE: I always have a box of surgical type mechanics extra thick work gloves around (like the ones Edd China wears) and a few pairs ol skydive goggles.
M'eh. S10 with spare cartridges and full NBC suit available, not that I feel the need to use them.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got a book somewhere at home from the early 90's about Nostradamus's predictions. One of them was that there would be a terrorist attack in New York in 2001 involving planes.
Ah, good old Nostradamus. His predictions were deliberately written to to be ambiguous. As a result, every decade or so, books come out reinterpreting them to fit the current time. Here's a typical one.
“From the enslaved populace, songs, Chants and demands

While princes and lords are help captive in prisons.

These will in the future by headless idiots

Be received as divine prayers.”
Fits just about any regional or civil war you care to name.

Wordsmith

Just need one of these, an apron or a rain mac and you are set for Zombie bashing
truckers-friend_1024x1024.jpg

Alternatively, play a bit of Huey Lewis & the News and a new position in the financial sector could be yours

M'eh. S10 with spare cartridges and full NBC suit available, not that I feel the need to use them.
We have lots of Asians and visiting Asians around my way. In the last couple of weeks they have been wearing face masks when around and about the shops. Either they are being collectively polite, or they do not want to catch gwailo disease.

Latest Threads