Merry christmas Saddam Hussein

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by luke, Dec 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meery christmas you fcuker
  2. from
    now thats got to be a pretty big understatement.
  3. Happy new year you fcuker.
  4. Lets hope they get the dirty deed done and dusted quickly before some politician (the Iraqi President) overturns the decision or some spurious loophole is identified.
  5. hang him now the fcuker.
  6. He's a nasty piece of work, that's for sure, but I don't see how executing him will resolve anything.

If Milosevic can go to the Hague then surely Saddam should have been treated the same. Dubya's troops were the guys who captured him during a war, then handed him over to be murdered by his political enemies. The trial has been a total joke and the yanks have quite clearly driven his execution from the start. The war has been a massive political failure and almost every political statement has been laughable - every time they say the country is improving etc etc - and Saddam's death will be no different. He's no less of a cruel dictator than Kim Il Jong, Robert Mugabe and Muammar Gaddafi and 'we' enter into political dialogue with those guys.

Saddam has certainly got a lot of blood on his hands (what middle-eastern politician doesn't?), but when you look at the evidence, a lot of it is shady to say the least. Is it based on the same "definitive proof" as the WMD? Is it the same "definitive proof" that Saddam was involved with the 9/11 hijackers? Is killing a downed political opponent ethical or is it cold-blooded revenge? I wonder if Saddam is responsible for more deaths than George Bush is - I suppose we'll never know.
  7. Wise words indeed, CS.

Should have been plugged and buried where he was found, simple as.

But you what these septics are like for trophies -they even get an award for standing in a bloody bus queue.

I agree that in all fairness, the best course for him would now be Den Haag. Closely followed by Bliar and Dubya. In all fairness.
  8. I really don't think this is a good decision , and I don't just mean for the violent retribution that is almost certainly going to follow.

We need to engage with the Sunni at some point , and I can't help feeling that swinging Saddam in the breeze is not going to serve that re-engagement at all.

I am also deeply concerned as to what is actually motivating this decision. It seems he was finally judged on handing out death sentences to 140 people, after there was a failed assasination attempt on him, during the Iran-Iraq war, whilst Iraq was under martial law.

So why wasn't he prosecuted over Halabja?

So what about these hundreds and thousands of murdered and disappeared we heard about?

Closure? As was commented earlier , that would have been solved by someone emptying a 92F in the hole. Revenge seems more likely and hardly a process dripping with judicial review and oversight.

What happens after Saddam is executed, but the violence just keeps going. What purpose will it have served?

Except to create a martyr for those Sunni or other Iraqis who will now have a figurehead in whose name to committ more ghastly atrocity and murder.
  9. Problem: Hole, Enemy in Hole.

Solution: Drop White Phos in Hole retire to safe distance

Cost: Few Quid

Bonus: Fresh BBQ Smell
  10. The cynic in me says it's all been about his attempt to have Mr Bush Snr assassinated.
  11. While he deserves it it's gonna cause some problems (understatement).
    However, they don't seem to care as much now as we might think (based on reaction to trial verdict).
    What I would like to see is him sorry for his actions; whether that can be achieved by jail or a drop followed by a very quick stop I don't know; but he doesn't deserve a place on our earth.
    May he rot forever after
  12. If only Pinochet as well
  13. Hang a man who's already dead?
  14. As in, if only we had hung him and not him slip away scott free