Merrills Marauders -

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Mr Happy, Jul 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Merrill's Marauders (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WHAT are these concrete emplacements, obviously they're in a movie so may not be real, but what would they be?

They form this stage in the movie:

"The Marauders attack Shaduzup that is a railyard with massive maze-like concrete blocks that the Americans and Japanese fight at close contact in. An aerial shot following the pyrrhic victory shows the massive losses on both sides."
  2. Some sort of water defense barrier to break up the force of waves or a fast flowing volume of water. Slows it down to stop erosion or overspill. I think. Seen them on out flows from dams.
  3. Bases for fuel tanks.
  4. They can be seen behind him set on some.
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Thanks, I didn't think they had a military value...
  6. Made in the Philipines, one of the original marauders was a technical advisor and supporting actor.
    Lt. Col. Samuel Wilson
    General Sam's Page
  7. Odd film fact - Geoff Chandler was a cross-dresser. Esther Williams, the famous swimming and aqua-based film star mentions it in her autobiog (a good read BTW).

"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell managed to destroy Merrill's Marauders and the Chindits. I hope he burns in hell.
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer